• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have less than 4 hours left in my trial version and I'm struggling to decide whether I love this game or just like it.

One the one hand it's Star Wars! Not just that, the graphics are so fantastic that I almost feel like I'm in Star Wars it really does a great job of pulling you into the game. This is truly next gen.

So many modes! Blast is Basic (not the language) but fun. Supremacy is my favorite and single player survival is fun too. Even the tutorial area has some fun missions like racing along on speeder bikes.

The game itself is just so much fun to play! I'm surprised that I'm over halfway done with the trial already and I know I'll be no where near satisfied once the 10 hours are up.

But....

It's so shallow. There's basically what? Four, five environments total? Tatooine, Hoth Endor and Sullist (am I missing one?). Different maps and different modes based on those few worlds. There's no story or campaign to go through. Just some single player modes that only give you credits, but no XP.

In short if feels like a great, GREAT game, but only half of one. It's obvious that they're holding back stuff that should have been included in the main game to force you to pay more for the DLC. This is basically a $110 game, but.........it might be worth it.

Is it weird that I keep thinking to myself "OMG! This snow looks so much like real snow!"?
Hmm, this probably swayed me from even possibly buying day one. Sounds almost like Destiny where I should probably just wait for the full edition of the game to release to get my monies worth.

I don't understand why people dislike the T 21

It absolutely wrecks people from meduim distances.

3 shots. Dead.

The mini shotgun pistol is absolutely horrible.

3 shots. Dead.

I really like the T-21 at medium range, but I prefer not having to play the game of maintaining that distance from my targets. Makes playing objectives kind of a nuisance because you're just less adaptable and useful.

So far I think the E-11 is the best all-purpose blaster. I've yet to master the laser spread on the RT-97C but I like that weapon a lot. DLT-19 is still decent.

Most of the time I used the 97C, though. got a lot of multikills with that beast.

Dunlop

Well, I have less than 4 hours left in my trial version and I'm struggling to decide whether I love this game or just like it.

One the one hand it's Star Wars! Not just that, the graphics are so fantastic that I almost feel like I'm in Star Wars it really does a great job of pulling you into the game. This is truly next gen.

So many modes! Blast is Basic (not the language) but fun. Supremacy is my favorite and single player survival is fun too. Even the tutorial area has some fun missions like racing along on speeder bikes.

The game itself is just so much fun to play! I'm surprised that I'm over halfway done with the trial already and I know I'll be no where near satisfied once the 10 hours are up.

But....

It's so shallow. There's basically what? Four, five environments total? Tatooine, Hoth Endor and Sullist (am I missing one?). Different maps and different modes based on those few worlds. There's no story or campaign to go through. Just some single player modes that only give you credits, but no XP.

In short if feels like a great, GREAT game, but only half of one. It's obvious that they're holding back stuff that should have been included in the main game to force you to pay more for the DLC. This is basically a $110 game, but.........it might be worth it.

Is it weird that I keep thinking to myself "OMG! This snow looks so much like real snow!"?

Kind of where I am at, having fun playing with my kid but not sure it will hold our interest long enough to be worth the investment ($80 in Canada, $70 season pass)

taoofjord

Is the Xbox One EA access version the final graphics (I.e. no Day One patch to optimize)? I played the PS4 beta and was amazed. I swear the game looked much better in the beta, including the LoD, and it's my understanding that the only difference between the PS4 and Xbox One version is the resolution, which I don't really care about.

gossi

Is the Xbox One EA access version the final graphics (I.e. no Day One patch to optimize)? I played the PS4 beta and was amazed. I swear the game looked much better in the beta, including the LoD, and it's my understanding that the only difference between the PS4 and Xbox One version is the resolution, which I don't really care about.

It's the launch version, yes.

Doesn't happen all the time, but it's there. Mainly I've heard Han and Boba talking smack to each other, and Leia was yelling at Palpatine (or Vader) about Alderaan.

Yes, I was playing Heroes vs Villains today as Boba Fett and while I was shooting at Han, Boba said "Jabba has a message for you" or something to that effect.

It's the resolution that makes everything slightly further away a pixelated mess. It's at 1280x720

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
anyone knows if I could switch displays ingame for the pc version? Black Ops 3 and some other titles support this feature. Curious to know if this does as well.

Szeth

Again, fellow Canadians you can get the game at a more reasonable price if you buy from GMG. I'm still hoping they get the season pass on there at some point.

And I honestly didn't even come close to being bored of the beta and that was two modes two maps. Everything else has looked amazing (except droid run), so I am beyond excited for the full release. Tuesday can't come soon enough

Theorry

3 shots. Dead.

Its a beast yeah. If you accurate offcourse. Think the E11 for the Imperials and the A280 for the rebels are gonna be chosen alot. They are like the typical DICE all round guns like the M16 and ACE 23. Not the best in anything but good at eveything.

Karak

Yes indeed.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Because I can't read I managed to book Wednesday off to play this because I foolishly thought EA was able to launch a game world wide on the same day, except were getting it on Thursday here, how annoying. So, is there anywhere I could order it and perhaps get it Wednesday instead? I know some retailers make a habit of sending games out a little early, Game and Amazon aren't, so does anyone know a good place to order it with a chance of getting it a bit early?

Because I can't read I managed to book Wednesday off to play this because I foolishly thought EA was able to launch a game world wide on the same day, except were getting it on Thursday here, how annoying. So, is there anywhere I could order it and perhaps get it Wednesday instead? I know some retailers make a habit of sending games out a little early, Game and Amazon aren't, so does anyone know a good place to order it with a chance of getting it a bit early?

Simply games

Most Tuesday releases come on the Saturday beforehand!

Is there any exclusive stuff you get for going with one console over another? I have a PS4 copy pre ordered but my friends are getting it on Xbone and I'm tempted to jump ship and change my pre order from PS4 to Xbone.

Is there any exclusive stuff you get for going with one console over another? I have a PS4 copy pre ordered but my friends are getting it on Xbone and I'm tempted to jump ship and change my pre order from PS4 to Xbone.

Don't think so.

It's been good like that, hate marketing deals.

It's amazing that it looks like that and hits 60fps in almost all instances, barring a few times. Been watching streams and I wouldn't believe it if somebody said it's 720p. With all respect, on sheer graphical front it's strange that Halo 5 had to sacrifice so much (post 10 meter claymation animations) while Battlefront looks the way it does and doesn't employ such a trick.

Probably gonna be ideal to easily switch between Halo/Battlefront with BF being on disc and Halo as a digital option.

It's amazing that it looks like that and hits 60fps in almost all instances, barring a few times. Been watching streams and I wouldn't believe it if somebody said it's 720p. With all respect, on sheer graphical front it's strange that Halo 5 had to sacrifice so much (post 10 meter claymation animations) while Battlefront looks the way it does and doesn't employ such a trick.

Probably gonna be ideal to easily switch between Halo/Battlefront with BF being on disc and Halo as a digital option.

I love the look of the frostbite engine, I really can't wait to see in game footage of Mass Effect Andromeda

Haines

Banned
Does this really not have a single player campaign?

No.

I imagine they will be making other real starwars single player games.

Im debating canceling my preorder. All the negative reviews impressions have me worried. My preorder is an e3 deal so i save some money, but i just dont want to buy a game that i might now enjoy.

btrboyev

When you watch it on a real tv you can tell its 720p. There is shimmering everywhere. Objects on the distance are grainy.

As for the game itself...I was pumped but after 4 good hours on it, I've decided to pass. It's just frustrating and got boring very quickly.

No.

Im debating canceling my preorder. All the negative reviews impressions have me worried. My preorder is an e3 deal so i save some money, but i just dont want to buy a game that i might now enjoy.

Utterly silly not to have included SP. I mean I expect it sell very well, but they will have lost a lot of sales from not including that (mine being one).

No.

OK thanks. Not worth the money without a single player campaign imo. This will be cheap fast with digital codes coming with the ps4 bundle.

Does anyone kw f there is a way to use game sharing on the XB1 with this trial? I have my wifes console set as my home console, and so far every game that I have ever downloaded on my XB1 she can play fine on her XB1 without me having to be signed in. I dl'ed the trial for this yesterday and when she tries to start it on her console a message pops up about her needing to sign in as the person who bought the game, and there is a link to the store. All other EZ access games have worked fine with game sharing so I don't understand what is happening.

border

Where do I go if I want to use a speeder bike?

I've been on the Endor maps many times in several modes, but I have yet to see anyone with a bike.

Haines

Banned
OK thanks. Not worth the money without a single player campaign imo. This will be cheap fast with digital codes coming with the ps4 bundle.

I could care less about lack of single player. Battlefront is meant to be a mp game. But it has to be good and full of content and if it looks like content is being held back for DLC ill just have to jump out bc i would have even considered the DLC but its 70 canadian. Thats insane,

MechDX

No.

The beauty of EA Access. I have played the full game and come to a conclusion this game just is not worth $60. Looks good, sounds great and is fun to play but it is the most basic definition of a FPS. Uninspired , shallow, content lacking game in a long time.

if I was a die hard Star Wars fan I would be all over it for the fan service but as a game it feels so vanilla.

J_Viper

Five hours into my trial and I've already burnt out on this.

Once the thrill of the presentation wears off, you're left with a mediocre shooter with severe lack of content.

How DICE managed to create such a boring product out of fucking Star Wars way is beyond my intellect.

What a disappointing year for FPSs.

This is the first game where the forest looks real. Will other developers follow?

This games graphics make other games look dull.

Most developers don't have the right technology or knowledge for this kind of graphics.
Also keep in mind that the maps are fairly limited. Visuals like that in an open world game are not possible yet.

Karak

This is the first game where the forest looks real. Will other developers follow?

This games graphics make other games look dull.

Agreed. I played around on the speederbike level and we have now got to the point where we are very close to the dreams of little kids thinking about speederbikes and seeing that reflected on the screen. Endors Conquest map is fairly large and it is certainly representative of what these guys can do. Maybe not others so far.

At times I have felt that the Just Cause engine with some tweeks looked good and could be used for an adventure game of some kind but this solidly trumped that.

mileS

I'm still struggling to find what this game is missing for people that get bored of it so quickly (and for the special few that decide they will be bored of it before giving it a fair chance) More maps? more weapons? More contrived ways of 'unlocking' things? We all act like a multiplayer fps like this hasn't shipped or been released before with this amount of content.

-If the maps are good, like really good, The community won't care much. There's a reason people play de_dust and de_dust2 for years. (CS) As long as there's always room for something new to happen on them it's not nearly as big of a deal IMO
-There's enough weapons to keep me happy. Anymore and you start to have too many that are almost exactly the same or it gets too hard to balance.
-Some of the unlocks could be a bit better but it saddens me to see how many people snub their nose up at it because its not exactly like Call of Duty. Kind of refreshing for once to have a game like this.

The game isn't for everyone that's for sure. Part of it's problem is also it's biggest positive. The graphics will draw in many until they realize it's not the type of game they wished it was. I'm honestly excited about having a game I can pick up and play, let go for a couple weeks and come back to without a worry. A game that I can get a couple of rounds in every once in a while in between the massive open world games that I've bee playing all year (Witcher 3, GTAV, MGSV, Batman. etc etc) It's honestly refreshing.

Ramirez

I really enjoyed the beta, but for whatever reason the full game is not doing much for me. The gunplay is so mediocre and bland coming off of Halo 5.

Where do I go if I want to use a speeder bike?

I've been on the Endor maps many times in several modes, but I have yet to see anyone with a bike.

It's part of the tutorials... It's nothing more then a small challenge you can do I think. I don't think it's incorporated into any multiplayer levels unless I just simply missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom