• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
Because I can't read I managed to book Wednesday off to play this because I foolishly thought EA was able to launch a game world wide on the same day, except were getting it on Thursday here, how annoying. So, is there anywhere I could order it and perhaps get it Wednesday instead? I know some retailers make a habit of sending games out a little early, Game and Amazon aren't, so does anyone know a good place to order it with a chance of getting it a bit early?

Colombia £47 for the ultimate edition, VS £105 on UK Store

Get revolut app for virtual card, use British Embassy in Colombia as address, switch region to Colombia, set up account and payment menthod...go onto laptop and xbox.com use a VPN )Not Hola) log into colombia by changing region at bottom of page, buy the game

get it early, win win... it is £52 if not on EA Access

border

It's part of the tutorials... It's nothing more then a small challenge you can do I think. I don't think it's incorporated into any multiplayer levels unless I just simply missed it.

Are you sure?

The speeder bikers that were a big focus in the reveal trailer aren't even in the proper game?

What is the point of the speeder bike tutorial then?

Wil348

So I think what's selling me in the game right now is:

Survival (pretty solid horde mode, would be great for local co op)
Walker Assault (loved it in the beta, more balanced in the final game from reports)
Drop Zone (small but fun)
Supremacy (from what I've heard, frantic, fun and traverses large maps. Also features vehicles)
Hero Hunt (basically Evolve condensed into a smaller mode. Should make for an interesting time)
Fighter Squadron (sounds like a basic team deathmatch but with starfighters, which is fine. I like the playing controls so I'm sure that I will enjoy it)

Overall, I'm expecting a 7\10 game on the whole. Which isn't bad at all, I don't mind putting £40 down on it as long as it gives me some enjoyment. I loved the beta so I'm sure that I will get my money's worth. Whether I'll buy the DLC or not is up in the air at this point, I guess we will see. Looking forward to playing it come Tuesday, but I'm just not that hyped.

Haines

Banned
The beauty of EA Access. I have played the full game and come to a conclusion this game just is not worth $60. Looks good, sounds great and is fun to play but it is the most basic definition of a FPS. Uninspired , shallow, content lacking game in a long time.

if I was a die hard Star Wars fan I would be all over it for the fan service but as a game it feels so vanilla.

Yeah, i have an xbox but dont have access. Not a big sports guy and i already have too big of a backlog. Im going to take another look into it, but its probably a lot more expensive for us canadians.

I reallly want to play the new halo, i find halo has my style of deep fps combat, so i might save this money for when it goes on sale.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Speeder bikes are definitely on the Endor maps. Been killed by them more than a few times.

Yeah, i have an xbox but dont have access. Not a big sports guy and i already have too big of a backlog. Im going to take another look into it, but its probably a lot more expensive for us canadians.

I reallly want to play the new halo, i find halo has my style of deep fps combat, so i might save this money for when it goes on sale.
It's the same price for Canada from what I remember.

Raptor

God damn it cant wait for this game.

Some balls of Dice for not including a SP but considering I havent even touched the BF4 SP at all I dont get mad at this, I just cant but they shoudl have put more content out the gate, like a clone zombie mode with gore and stuff.

Just put more stuff Dice...stuff more stuff.

border

I get your point but The thrills wear off extremely quickly and there doesn't seem to be very much to keep the player coming back.

I think I will be pretty much done with the game after my 10-hour demo. I have friends asking if I am going to buy it so that we can play together.

The problem is that the battles in this game are so large-scale that I doubt even me and a couple buddies could do much to affect the game's outcome. I feel like you'd need at least a party of 5-6 people working in concert to assure victory.

alterno69

Banned
Do you believe a single player campaign would mean a lot more sales for this game? I do, as fun as the multiplayer is for me, just the thought of playing at least episode IV singleplayer with this engine is mindblowing.

Someone has to do it.

Hero Hunt is my favourite mode so far. Heroes vs Villains felt kinda disappointing. Hunt is fun and could be a great if you could get seven friends to play it with you.

I did have a weird glitch though: I died as Vader but instead of spawning as a rebel I spawned as a stormtrooper and killing rebels still counted towards my hero/villain kill count. There was also another playing as the Emperor at the same time. Eventually my screen faded to black and I spawned as a rebel again.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Which game modes have speeder bikes? I have been playing mostly Supremacy and Walker Assasult. I haven't seen any in-game as of yet.
It's those that I've seen them on actually. They're not tokens like all the other vehicles, so you'll just see them laying around.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily recommend sticking strictly to an "it's Star Wars" philosophy re: sales. Oftentimes, historically, that isn't really enough.

jesu

I'm having a Blast just playing Blast!
This might be the best game ever, just because STAR WARS.
It's nice to be drunk as fuck and still maintain a .5 kd ratio!

SegaShack

It's interesting seeing the comparisons some are making to Titanfall. I thought that game was great. To me the best content is really solid gameplay. If it is like that I will be thrilled. I don't need constant unlocks or tons of maps to enjoy a game as long as the mechanics are really well done.

SegaShack

Is the Xbox One EA access version the final graphics (I.e. no Day One patch to optimize)? I played the PS4 beta and was amazed. I swear the game looked much better in the beta, including the LoD, and it's my understanding that the only difference between the PS4 and Xbox One version is the resolution, which I don't really care about.

Damn, is it that big a difference in visuals. May have to change my preorder (XB1) to PS4 or PC now.

ZZMitch

It's interesting seeing the comparisons some are making to Titanfall. I thought that game was great. To me the best content is really solid gameplay. If it is like that I will be thrilled. I don't need constant unlocks or tons of maps to enjoy a game as long as the mechanics are really well done.

Yeah this is how I feel too, especially since this is the type of game I will pick up and play a few hours each week, not something I play for hours everyday. I feel like it will remain fresh for me.

border

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily recommend sticking strictly to an "it's Star Wars" philosophy re: sales. Oftentimes, historically, that isn't really enough.

People can pretty vastly overestimate the potential of a "Star Wars" videogame.

The Force Unleashed got a huge media push but was very quickly forgotten.

Star Wars Kinect was supposed to be the thing that saved and justified the Kinect. It also got a huge marketing push. It charted on NPD for a month and disappeared.

How many times last generation did somebody say that motion controls would finally take off once we got an awesome lightsaber slashing game? And yet nobody really cared about any of the motion-enabled Star Wars games.

For the record I think Battlefront will do better than TFU or SW:Kinect, primarily due to synergy with Force Awakens and being in a more popular/marketable genre. I think it will disappear from public consciousness about as fast as those two did though.

People can pretty vastly overestimate the potential of a "Star Wars" videogame.

The Force Unleashed got a huge media push but was very quickly forgotten.

Star Wars Kinect was supposed to be the thing that saved and justified the Kinect. It also got a huge marketing push. It charted on NPD for a month and disappeared.

How many times last generation did somebody say that motion controls would finally take off once we got our perfect lightsaber slashing game? And yet nobody really cared about any of the motion-enabled Star Wars games.

For the record I think Battlefront will do better than TFU or SW:Kinect, primarily due to synergy with Force Awakens and being in a more popular/marketable genre. I think it will disappear from public consciousness about as fast as those two did though.

Being a shooter, once it has the next big thing it will lose steam, but right now there is nothing on the horizon and it's the big game apparently this holiday for shooters. It should do quite well for itself for a while.

border

Oh, and there was the other Star Wars bellyflop of last generation: The Old Republic. Once again people thought the game would be utterly unstoppable. How could it not be? They had the quality of Bioware's writing and design, the addictiveness of Blizzard's MMO progression system, and the strength of the Star Wars IP.

It launched in December, most people played their free month plus maybe a little more, then went back to WoW. Or if they quit altogether it was because they'd seen the story and were not interested in an MMO endgame.

In the video game world the Star Wars IP certainly has value, but it doesn't really get the mileage that some people think it does.

Being a shooter, once it has the next big thing it will lose steam, but right now there is nothing on the horizon and it's the big game apparently this holiday for shooters. It should do quite well for itself for a while.

I think it will likely be a TOR situation where people will play for a bit then go back to whatever they are ultimately more familiar with, because incumbent games have more features and a richer community. At some point there will simply be an exodus back to Call of Duty or Destiny. They may be able to keep Battlefield players engaged -- I have no idea what's going on with that community, since Hardline was so long ago.

I think a part of the problem with the game is that it's so large and chaotic that it's difficult to feel like your presence really even matters, or that you can do anything to really turn the tide of battle. That will turn people off, especially the more casual audience that the Star Wars IP brings in. It is awesome though, those rare occasions when you are actually lucky enough to get a Hero powerup and you can go clear out a tightly-held capture point.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
In the video game world the Star Wars IP certainly has value, but it doesn't really get the mileage that some people think it does.

[...]

I think it will likely be a TOR situation where people will play for a bit then go back to whatever they are ultimately more familiar with, because incumbent games have more features and a richer community. At some point there will simply be an exodus back to Call of Duty or Destiny. They may be able to keep Battlefield players engaged -- I have no idea what's going on with that community, since Hardline was so long ago.

Exactly. Very well said; my own analyses of the IP over the years echo this to a tee.

I'm not saying there can't eventually be a Star Wars game that breaks all these rules and stays on the public wavelength for years and years. (In some ways, previous SW games such as Rogue Squadron have accomplished this to varying degrees, even.) I'm not saying Battlefront can't be that game, either -- we don't know yet, maybe it will be. But I tend toward the thought, at current, that it won't be. Not on that level, not for that long.

JimiNutz

Banned
I see a lot of people complaining about the lack of depth or complexity to the gameplay but I think making a more causal friendly game for the masses was a smart move.

Competitive online shooters can be incredibly frustrating for the non hardcore games but this game is simple Star Wars themed fun for all. For me personally it's come at the perfect time since I don't have the time or desire to play something super competitive at this stage in my life.

Lack of content would be a problem 10 years ago but DLC will keep this game feeling fresh I thnk.

gossi

For info: the launch day press reviews (currently under non-disclosure agreement) were based on a controlled press event, where play time was limited to a max of 12 hours.

So those that opted out and played via EA Access probably got a more real impression than the press who land their reviews on Tuesday.

Forbes also skipped the press event and wrote this based on EA Access review, saying it's not worth $60: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...feelings-star-wars-battlefront-isnt-worth-60/

Kosma

Banned
So? Still doing good

I dunno why people are so obsessed with legs for this, its just great fun for a few months. Does everything need to be a 5 year game?

Its not like you wont be able to find full servers in a year, this game will sell millions

border

TOR is doing really good so uuuh

At the time of release the game was seen as having the potential to rival World of Warcraft.

They announced that they were going Free 2 Play within 7-8 months of launching.

Today TOR continues to exist and generate revenue for its parent company, as do any number of MMOs.....but it's not even a shadow of what people thought it would be. Yet people still say stuff like "Oh everyone will play it because it's Star Wars!"

So? Still doing good

I dunno why people are so obsessed with legs for this, its just great fun for a few months. Does everything need to be a 5 year game?

Its not like you wont be able to find full servers in a year, this game will sell millions

Most people who buy a multiplayer game are in it for the long haul. That's why you get DLC months after the game drops. Your purchase isn't for a few months, they intend to keep you around.

If the game can't cultivate a fanbase that's willing to stick around through DLC that's already going to fragment the playerbase, then you'll find yourself playing with the same people over and over again.

More players means more people to play with, and that means more people diving into every single mode instead of just sticking with a select few.

meanspartan

So? Still doing good

That's exactly it isn't it? Very few games actually end up being played for years and years. If I get at least 20 or 30 hours outta this kicking it with my friends and having fun, it'll be worth it to me.

border

They said that about every mmo a few years back.

After Warhammer and Lord of the Rings Online tanked I think there was pretty serious doubt about any IP being strong enough to contend with Warcraft. Star Wars was really the last hope in that arena, and most of it was based around the value of the IP and the Bioware brand.

DICE/EA wants $50-60 for a Season Pass......how can you not expect there to be some talk of the game's legs?

gossi

That's exactly it isn't it? Very few games actually end up being played for years and years. If I get at least 20 or 30 hours outta this kicking it with my friends and having fun, it'll be worth it to me.

Yeah, I'm on your train. I figure if I get about 30 hours in, it will be value for money. 2 dollars an hour.

That said, somebody here was predicting this would be their next 2000 hour game, after Battlefield 4. I mean, I just don't think it's that game. And some people won't like that.

Kosma

Banned
Season Pass is optional, I know I can have tons of fun without it for weeks/months,more than most single player games.

Ditto.

Yeah, I'm on your train. I figure if I get about 30 hours in, it will be value for money. 2 dollars an hour.

That said, somebody here was predicting this would be their next 2000 hour game, after Battlefield 4. I mean, I just don't think it's that game. And some people won't like that.

I think with the additional DLC content on the way, it's fair to say that DICE wants them to think it's that type of game as well.

And that's probably the biggest problem. It can't be both with what's presented here. You can't have a casual game with super long legs that appeals to everyone, and Battlefront just spread itself too thin.

I think those playing this off and on from time to time are going to have a far more enjoyable experience than those engaging in long sessions.

Season Pass is optional, I know I can have tons of fun without it for weeks/months,more than most single player games.

Ditto.

That's fine that you can, but you shouldn't expect someone else to be okay with paying for DLC and getting a different experience than they wanted due to the ineptitude of the developers.

Maybe I'm thinking about battlefront in a different way but this is my opinion (pre-ordered the game already on PS4).

I'm not that good in shooters but I do play them. However, the COD & battlefield series has got really stale and boring for me. Battlefront is the first FPS MP game that I'm really looking forward to playing for a long time. Heck, I'm even thinking about buying the season pass so this game will last a long time.

When it comes to a campaign or story mode, I'm glad they aren't doing one. Simple reason is that it will be base on the movies (obviously) and I think DICE would get themselves in a no-win situation as everyone will be b**tching about this scene or level not done right or the graphics for this scene is all wrong.

For the # of levels, doesn't matter to me. in COD, I played the same damn level countless of times and they are small and get boring really really quick. Seriously, there's no imagination into the COD levels. At least with star wars, they will be levels that I know I will want to play over & over again and as both the rebel scums (had to say it sorry) & the empire. Besides, I think DICE is putting more time & heart into these levels or worlds, which is why there is not a lot of worlds at the start and I'm fine with that.

I normally don't buy season passes but I think the season pass for SW battlefront will be one of the best to get. Besides, its either this or spend a crapload of money on the SW disney infinity toys, which will definitely be more expensive than the game & season pass together.

But this is my opinion and I know i'll get flamed for it, but i'm fine with that.

Bsigg12

I kinda wish DICE would adopt paid cosmetic DLc that funds maps. Knowing there will be a split playerbase regardless of your platform in the not too distant future sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom