• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lrrr

Disappointing to hear that only 4 more heroes/villains will be added later. I was really hoping for Lando, Yoda and Chewie, but there's no way EA will neglect TFA, so I'm sure that means Rey, Finn, Kylo and Phasma are the new group.

Unless EA plans to sell Yoda, Chewie, etc., as separate DLC from the season pass. I remember 2K did that with Borderlands 2 and Warner Bros. Interactive did it with Injustice: Gods Among Us.

Karak

Disappointing to hear that only 4 more heroes/villains will be added later. I was really hoping for Lando, Yoda and Chewie, but there's no way EA will neglect TFA, so I'm sure that means Rey, Finn, Kylo and Phasma are the new group.

Unless EA plans to sell Yoda, Chewie, etc., as separate DLC from the season pass. I remember 2K did that with Borderlands 2 and Warner Bros. Interactive did it with Injustice: Gods Among Us.

I really do feel that this is going to have separate dlc from that pass

Lrrr

I really do feel that this is going to have separate dlc from that pass

Yeah. This is the only SW game coinciding with TFA. If the movie is a hit (and it will be), people are going to be dying to play as the new characters, but how can EA/DICE not include Yoda, Chewie, Lando, Jabba? Those are iconic characters with 30+ year history.

I have a bad feeling about this.

robot

Seems that survival mode is only 1-2 player? My friends and I LOVE Horde mode from Gears, was really looking forward to a similar mode in this game with 4 people. Real bummer! Hope a co-op experience like that gets added to multiplayer in the future.

Chin35char

I've never played a multiplayer shooter that is more epic than Walker Assault on this game. The huge maps, steady frame rate.. the Y-Wings and everything flying above you, along with AT-AT's stomping the ground next to you and things blowing up left and right... plus Luke and Darth and Han... Just pure awesomeness. Having so much fun with this game mode.

MADGAME

It would be neat if there were dialogue specific to particular hero interactions. For example if Luke and Vader clash something like "I know there's still good in you father" or "Join me and together we can rule the galaxy".

There could be unique dialogue between Han/Boba, Leia/Vader, Luke/Emperor, etc. Small yet unique detail that would go a long way imo.

That one's free, DICE

RobbieNick

Well, I have less than 4 hours left in my trial version and I'm struggling to decide whether I love this game or just like it.

One the one hand it's Star Wars! Not just that, the graphics are so fantastic that I almost feel like I'm in Star Wars it really does a great job of pulling you into the game. This is truly next gen.

So many modes! Blast is Basic (not the language) but fun. Supremacy is my favorite and single player survival is fun too. Even the tutorial area has some fun missions like racing along on speeder bikes.

The game itself is just so much fun to play! I'm surprised that I'm over halfway done with the trial already and I know I'll be no where near satisfied once the 10 hours are up.

But....

It's so shallow. There's basically what? Four, five environments total? Tatooine, Hoth Endor and Sullist (am I missing one?). Different maps and different modes based on those few worlds. There's no story or campaign to go through. Just some single player modes that only give you credits, but no XP.

In short if feels like a great, GREAT game, but only half of one. It's obvious that they're holding back stuff that should have been included in the main game to force you to pay more for the DLC. This is basically a $110 game, but.........it might be worth it.

Is it weird that I keep thinking to myself "OMG! This snow looks so much like real snow!"?

Well, I have less than 4 hours left in my trial version and I'm struggling to decide whether I love this game or just like it.

One the one hand it's Star Wars! Not just that, the graphics are so fantastic that I almost feel like I'm in Star Wars it really does a great job of pulling you into the game. This is truly next gen.

So many modes! Blast is Basic (not the language) but fun. Supremacy is my favorite and single player survival is fun too. Even the tutorial area has some fun missions like racing along on speeder bikes.

The game itself is just so much fun to play! I'm surprised that I'm over halfway done with the trial already and I know I'll be no where near satisfied once the 10 hours are up.

But....

It's so shallow. There's basically what? Four, five environments total? Tatooine, Hoth Endor and Sullist (am I missing one?). Different maps and different modes based on those few worlds. There's no story or campaign to go through. Just some single player modes that only give you credits, but no XP.

In short if feels like a great, GREAT game, but only half of one. It's obvious that they're holding back stuff that should have been included in the main game to force you to pay more for the DLC. This is basically a $110 game, but.........it might be worth it.

Is it weird that I keep thinking to myself "OMG! This snow looks so much like real snow!"?
This is pretty much how I feel. I'm having A LOT of fun playing it, but i feel like i'll get sick of it real soon. Although to be fair i've only been playing the hero's vs villans mode.

RoKKeR

But....

Very similar feelings, good summary.

sTiTcH AU

I said earlier in the thread that I believe this will lose players fast like Titanfall and after another few hours playing that thought is even more apparent.

Unless all new maps are free, it will only further fragment the community and people will move back to COD and BF4. There is not enough there to keep people going for long. It feel like there is less MP content in this than Hardline.

Falchion

Just spent the first 2 hours of my trial in Supremacy and it was a blast. Some of the maps are a little tough to survive as infantry but when you can catch a team by surprise you can go on insane kill streaks. So much fun.

Lgndryhr

Well fuck me sideways, my mom's health problems took a turn for the worse today and I'll be spending all my remaining moola covering the costs Medicaid isn't touching. No worries -- she should be fine, but it's a surgical operation, and we know how pricey those are. She's been in a long-term healthcare facility since 2007; it sucks, she's only 45.

Was gonna get this at launch, think I'll wait now. As they say in Final Fantasy Tactics, "l i t t l e m o n e y." Keep those PS4 server populations running sky-high, 'cause I'mma be there with you circa... I don't know, February-ish.

Edit: Heroes and Villains predictions. Rey, Finn, Ren, Chewbacca.

Sorry to hear man. I'll keep on playing on ps4.

GAF should come together. Let's all donate a small amount so we can ensure you can play it!

To everyone saying that players will get bored quickly and the population will plummet, you do realize that this is Star Wars, right? And that there is a movie planned every year at least through 2018, right? Sure, we can get into a debate whether there is enough content or if the gameplay has any depth, but either way it doesn't much matter. The game looks phenomenal, performs great, plays very solid, and once again it is the cultural phenomenon which is Star Wars during a newly rejuvenated era, not some random new sci-fi IP. This game will have legs.

JoseLopez

Yeah. This is the only SW game coinciding with TFA. If the movie is a hit (and it will be), people are going to be dying to play as the new characters, but how can EA/DICE not include Yoda, Chewie, Lando, Jabba? Those are iconic characters with 30+ year history.

I have a bad feeling about this.
How the fuck would jabba play?

adj_noun

It would be neat if there were dialogue specific to particular hero interactions. For example if Luke and Vader clash something like "I know there's still good in you father" or "Join me and together we can rule the galaxy".

There could be unique dialogue between Han/Boba, Leia/Vader, Luke/Emperor, etc. Small yet unique detail that would go a long way imo.

That one's free, DICE

Doesn't happen all the time, but it's there. Mainly I've heard Han and Boba talking smack to each other, and Leia was yelling at Palpatine (or Vader) about Alderaan.

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm having A LOT of fun playing it, but i feel like i'll get sick of it real soon. Although to be fair i've only been playing the hero's vs villans mode.

Very similar feelings, good summary.

Yup. Good to know I'm not the only one. Something just feels incomplete about it. Like you play for less than 10 hours yet feel like you've played the entire game, inside and out.

Calling it now: season pass is going to add TFA maps and characters, prequels are going to be a Taken King style add on next year.
And like someone said earlier, stuff is going to be sold outside the season pass.

SeppOCE

Judging from the reactions in this thread this game is made for the casual community and it'll probably see the same downfall as Titanfall IF people get bored. A lot of more hardened(?) shooter players have mixed feelings and yet most of the more casual audience are having a blast.

I'm glad Star Wars has found it's place in the casual players heart and given people a chance to play shooters and hopefully branch out into more of them. I won't be playing this game until some sort of GOTY comes with every expansion included but I hope you all have a blast!

Hip Hop

Calling it now: season pass is going to add TFA maps and characters, prequels are going to be a Taken King style add on next year.
And like someone said earlier, stuff is going to be sold outside the season pass.

I can't see them doing things outside of the season pass tbh. Unlike Destiny and Activision, EA needs the space to push Battlefield 5 next year with DICE.

It's so shallow.

It's obvious that they're holding back stuff that should have been included in the main game to force you to pay more for the DLC. This is basically a $110 game, but.........it might be worth it.

Disagree and its not obvious.

Judging from the reactions in this thread this game is made for the casual community and it'll probably see the same downfall as Titanfall IF people get bored. A lot of more hardened(?) shooter players have mixed feelings and yet most of the more casual audience are having a blast.

Im a hardcore player and still prefer Battlefront over the other games out now.

People have to look beyond their competitive mind. Not every game has to be super duper competitive.

Memory

I'm glad Star Wars has found it's place in the casual players heart and given people a chance to play shooters and hopefully branch out into more of them. I won't be playing this game until some sort of GOTY comes with every expansion included but I hope you all have a blast!

If you have not played it I recommend buying it now (or get EA access if X1) and having fun with everyone else. Not many shooters get GOTY and even those that do have already lost most of the playerbase by then.

Got the game yesterday for my PS4.
Damn it, not even one game online was found with more than three players.
I remember getting BF4 early as well and there were tonns of people playing even before release.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Hey, thanks for the kind words, y'all.

Sorry to hear man. I'll keep on playing on ps4.

GAF should come together. Let's all donate a small amount so we can ensure you can play it!

Haha, aw. No worries, very kind of you though! I know how amazing GAF can be about that sort of stuff (best community ever) but I can survive* without Battlefront until the medical bills are taken care of.

*sorta :p

Rootbeer

Banned
I've seen people in this thread say they purchased over a mexican proxy/VPN to get the game cheaper. My current plan is to wait until release day and see how people who went this route are satisfied... I'm too paranoid that it might lock you out from playing on USA servers, or worse have Spanish only text/dialog?

But if all checks out, my plan is to grab the Ultimate Edition from the mexican origin store. I can live without Jakku for 1 week.

Hope people here will report their experiences!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've seen people in this thread say they purchased over a mexican proxy/VPN to get the game cheaper. My current plan is to wait until release day and see how people who went this route are satisfied... I'm too paranoid that it might lock you out from playing on USA servers, or worse have Spanish only text/dialog?

I have no idea if EA has cracked down on the situation (and they may have), but I did this with Battlefield 4 and the season pass and ran into zero issues here in Australia. But that uses a server browser, so *shrug*

Rootbeer

Banned
I have no idea if EA has cracked down on the situation (and they may have), but I did this with Battlefield 4 and the season pass and ran into zero issues here in Australia. But that uses a server browser, so *shrug*

Does this game have no such server browser? I definitely want to be able to play on USA servers, or even overseas servers if I felt the desire.

i see that the OT says there is no server browser and that it matches based on skill. So how does it handle people from other countries? Does it mix the entire world's player base in big pools based on skill? No regional servers?

Loving the trial , I agree it can be a bit shallow but I personally like the more casual pace . I can't get into halo 5 since it's so skewed towards pro players . Here I can just play a round and be losing badly but still end up having fun.

Heros versus villains is fantastic and can be pretty tactical since the rebels are more defensive abilities .

Also Endor is the best looking map I have ever played . Simply stunning with so many non obvious paths.

gossi

Does this game have no such server browser? I definitely want to be able to play on USA servers, or even overseas servers if I felt the desire.

i see that the OT says there is no server browser and that it matches based on skill. So how does it handle people from other countries? Does it mix the entire world's player base in big pools based on skill? No regional servers?

There's no server browser or regional options. It just plops you into whatever match.

gossi

To everyone saying that players will get bored quickly and the population will plummet, you do realize that this is Star Wars, right

Almost every prior Star Wars game has flopped. The closest multiplayer one of recent is Star Wars Online, which went free to play.

(for the record they will sell millions here due to marketing, and the game is good - but i wouldn't presume the game can live popular long term just because Star Wars).

I'm not a Star Wars fan at all, but there is something about this game that just makes it so much freakin' fun. I don't know what it is (maybe it's the 'arcadey' feel and instant respawns), but I like it. The gameplay, presentation and sound are all top shelf. I'll definitely be picking this game up and more than likely buying the DLC when it drops.

But....

I agree that it's shallow, but not so much on the development motivation behind it. With how they chose to develop assets for the game coupled with the hard deadline due to TFA, they just may have not had enough time to throw in much more. Especially with the planned Jakku content alongside TFA.

I'm of the opinion that it will sell extremely well out of the gate and have strong legs during Christmas, but I think the casual crowd isn't going to pony up the $50 for the season pass to sustain a strong, sustained community going forward throughout the year. I'm going to pick it up probably. It definitely feels like Star Wars and it looks amazing, but after reaching max level in the beta...it did seem a little lacking content-wise. And just four worlds seems kind of, I don't know, meh.

Ferr986

Damn people getting the PS4 earlier :(

I'm of the opinion that it will sell extremely well out of the gate and have strong legs during Christmas, but I think the casual crowd isn't going to pony up the $50 for the season pass to sustain a strong, sustained community going forward throughout the year. I'm going to pick it up probably. It definitely feels like Star Wars and it looks amazing, but after reaching max level in the beta...it did seem a little lacking content-wise. And just four worlds seems kind of, I don't know, meh.

Yeah right now I'm not gonna get the Season Pass. I just can't afford it, it's almost the price of a new game and there's so much stuff coming out that I want. I'll probably get it when a discount pops (I know It will take a while).

Lgndryhr

It appears many of the outlets skipped the review event based on stuff I've seen. Oddly nothing from giant bomb or gamespot. I am going to assume they attended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom