• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

gossi

I think with the additional DLC content on the way, it's fair to say that DICE wants them to think it's that type of game as well.

And that's probably the biggest problem. It can't be both with what's presented here. You can't have a casual game with super long legs that appeals to everyone, and Battlefront just spread itself too thin.

I think those playing this off and on from time to time are going to have a far more enjoyable experience than those engaging in long sessions.

Here's the thing. They don't care, from a business point of view, if you play 20 hours or 2000 hours. They want you buy it. By limiting content it's also more likely fans will pick up the season pass, especially if it includes content from the new movie.

See also: Battlefield Hardline. Fans see it as failure and laugh at it. EA see it as a huge win - it sold millions. At launch it outsold Battlefield 4 (which outsold BF 3) at launch. Titanfall is a similar deal, EA are pumping out more 'cos it sold millions.

played a few games of this on Xbox one with ea access. Incredibly boring after a few matches. Deffo not picking it up. I will be shocked if this gets good reviews because its not my cup of tea at all

Boke1879

For info: the launch day press reviews (currently under non-disclosure agreement) were based on a controlled press event, where play time was limited to a max of 12 hours.

So those that opted out and played via EA Access probably got a more real impression than the press who land their reviews on Tuesday.

Forbes also skipped the press event and wrote this based on EA Access review, saying it's not worth $60: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...feelings-star-wars-battlefront-isnt-worth-60/

That's just a contributor

For info: the launch day press reviews (currently under non-disclosure agreement) were based on a controlled press event, where play time was limited to a max of 12 hours.

So those that opted out and played via EA Access probably got a more real impression than the press who land their reviews on Tuesday.

Forbes also skipped the press event and wrote this based on EA Access review, saying it's not worth $60: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...feelings-star-wars-battlefront-isnt-worth-60/

For real?

What is this garbage.

gossi

For real?

What is this garbage.

It's called a press event and it's very common. MGS 5 had one too, for example. With Battlefront being online only it's only practical to get a small sample of peeps in same physical location. Or, uhm, use EA Access - but then you loose publisher support for the review.

For reference in my 10 hour session I unlocked a substantial portion of the content, and played all the maps and modes.

Ferr986

Honestly, I'm not surprised and I think a lot of reviews are going to complain about the lack of content. Because, let's face it, there's not much content.

Thay being said, it all about how much you will enjoy that content. I mean, I played the beta every single day, and I didn't grew bored of it, mainly because I love more arcadey TPS and they are very rare nowadays, so I know I'm gonna put a lot of hours of the full game, even if it's light of content. Someone that got bored of the beta at the end, he will probably end up bored of the full game rather quickly.

Honestly, I'm not surprised and I think a lot of reviews are going to complain about the lack of content. Because, let's face it, there's not much content.

Thay being said, it all about how much you will enjoy that content. I mean, I played the beta every single day, and I didn't grew bored of it, mainly because I love more arcadey TPS and they are very rare nowadays, so I know I'm gonna put a lot of hours of the full game, even if it's light of content. Someone that got bored of the beta at the end, he will probably end up bored of the full game rather quickly.

There is a difference, in my opinion, between "content" and bloat. Black Ops 3 is bloated. Battlefield 4 is bloated. I am so tired of the endless grind for unlocks and dozens of weapons that are barely different from one another.

I always hear people complain there isn't much content. Where do other MP shooters have more? I haven't even bothered to try out all guns/attachments in BF4, so that's no big deal for me.

Vanilla BF4 had 10 Maps, Vanilla Battlefront has 12 + 2 free coming in 2 weeks time. Also there seems to be a good mix of modes.

If those maps/modes are good I can see this lasting me longer than my 500 hours in BF4.

There is a difference, in my opinion, between "content" and bloat. Black Ops 3 is bloated. Battlefield 4 is bloated. I am so tired of the endless grind for unlocks and dozens of weapons that are barely different from one another.

My thoughts put right. Thanks.

I actually feel the game has a decent amount of content comparivitely to other multiplayer shooters.

The problem is all of the content is incredibly shallow and not a lot of fun so there is very little reason to keep playing beyond the first couple of matches once the sheen wears off

I would rather a developer prioritize making a "small" amount of content polished and replayable than make a large amount of content that is mediocre and bland. I see much of the former with this game. I also know that my philosophies are of a dying type; people just want to see quantity over quality anymore. I loved the beta and never grew tired of it. I feel like the full release will hold my attention for a long time to come.

Can anyone break down how many maps are available to each mode?

4 Maps in Walker Assault
4 Maps in Supremacy (mostly the same maps as WA but in a different time of day)

Havent played the other modes much.

That Jakku DLC probably will add 1 Map to both this big modes.

Here's the thing. They don't care, from a business point of view, if you play 20 hours or 2000 hours. They want you buy it. By limiting content it's also more likely fans will pick up the season pass, especially if it includes content from the new movie.

See also: Battlefield Hardline. Fans see it as failure and laugh at it. EA see it as a huge win - it sold millions. At launch it outsold Battlefield 4 (which outsold BF 3) at launch. Titanfall is a similar deal, EA are pumping out more 'cos it sold millions.

For the record, Battlefield fans on PS4 don't see Hardline as a failure and are really excited for Battlefront.

I always hear people complain there isn't much content. Where do other MP shooters have more? I haven't even bothered to try out all guns/attachments in BF4, so that's no big deal for me.

Vanilla BF4 had 10 Maps, Vanilla Battlefront has 12 + 2 free coming in 2 weeks time. Also there seems to be a good mix of modes.

If those maps/modes are good I can see this lasting me longer than my 500 hours in BF4.
I think the difference is DICE made variants of maps for each game mode, while Battlefront doesn't do that.
Off the top of my head, I believe it's 4 for Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Fighter Squadron; 6 for Cargo and Drop Zone; and 8 or 9 for the rest.

I think the difference is DICE made variants of maps for each game mode, while Battlefront doesn't do that.

Off the top of my head, I believe it's 4 for Walker Assault, Supremacy, and Fighter Squadron; 6 for Cargo and Drop Zone; and 8 or 9 for the rest.

So there is overlap in the maps then? Because that adds up to more than 12.

Ferr986

I dont disagree on that. I dont care about unlocks and stuff, I hate that.
I think the game is light on maps, but personally I know I'll enjoy them long enough for juatify the price.

I wasn't too hot in the beta but Star Wars got me, I've already pre bought the game and season pass on PSN. My biggest problem with the beta was I never felt like a significant chess piece on the board. I felt it was a game of all pawns. Shooters that I like for example, past CoDs, Destiny, you get the feeling like you can be the best on the battlefield. But even after that, I feel like this game will have legs and will evolve over time into a very nice product and I'm willing to go along for the ride.

I would rather a developer prioritize making a "small" amount of content polished and replayable than make a large amount of content that is mediocre and bland. I see much of the former with this game. I also know that my philosophies are of a dying type; people just want to see quantity over quality anymore. I loved the beta and never grew tired of it. I feel like the full release will hold my attention for a long time to come.

I think future Battlefield games should implement a system for unlocks like Hardline, just choose what you want instead of having to go through multiple unlocks in a class for a gun that you may or may not like. Same goes for attachments and gadgets. Even though it takes a while to get everything, it never felt like a grind because I got what I wanted upfront.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Exactly how I feel.

My thoughts put right. Thanks.

That is incredibly disingenuous. You could play all modes(pretty much) on BF4's 10 maps. In Battlefront it is the same 4(5 in december) for the big maps, medium maps, and small maps. If you told me that Assault Walker and Supremacy had 10 maps there would be zero issue with the Multiplayer side of this thing(single player is another issue entirely). I think a lot of uninformed people are going to be surprised when they get the game and see the same 4 maps over and over in each of the modes.

I've already seen some streamers experience this very thing. They thought 12 maps and then see the same handful of maps.

Almost every prior Star Wars game has flopped. The closest multiplayer one of recent is Star Wars Online, which went free to play.

(for the record they will sell millions here due to marketing, and the game is good - but i wouldn't presume the game can live popular long term just because Star Wars).
You mean The Old Republic? That one is holding its own, but it's not even set during the films. Only other recent big budget Star Wars game I can think of is Force Unleashed, which was released during the down years with no films planned.

Battlefront is both set during the films and being released during very active filming. There's nothing recent to fairly compare it to.

Walker Assault - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Sorosub Complex (Sullust)
Jundland Wastes (Tattooine)

Supremacy - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Sorosub Centroplex (Sullust)

Cargo - 4:
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)
Imperial Hangar (Sullust)

Hero Hunt - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)
Dune Sea Exchange (Tattooine)

Heros vs Villains - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Fighter Squadron - 4:
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
NOTE: All four are naturally in the sky.

Blast - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Droid Run - 6:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)

Drop Zone - 6:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)

LNBL

Any Gaffers livestreaming on Twitch? (Sadly "stuck" studying in Sweden until next month, so I want to satisfy my hunger if possible :( )

Gothos

I wasn't too hot in the beta but Star Wars got me, I've already pre bought the game and season pass on PSN. My biggest problem with the beta was I never felt like a significant chess piece on the board. I felt it was a game of all pawns. Shooters that I like for example, past CoDs, Destiny, you get the feeling like you can be the best on the battlefield. But even after that, I feel like this game will have legs and will evolve over time into a very nice product and I'm willing to go along for the ride.

That's a costly ride, though.

So 13 unique maps it is then, not 12.

Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)

gossi

For the record, Battlefield fans on PS4 don't see Hardline as a failure and are really excited for Battlefront.

There's plenty of Battlefield fans on PS4 who see Hardline as a failure. The Hardline OT here is all people laughing at the game and population.

So there is overlap in the maps then? Because that adds up to more than 12.

Tons of overlap. It actually feels like less than twelve maps, because nine maps is the most any game mode has.

That is incredibly disingenuous. You could play all modes(pretty much) on BF4's 10 maps. In Battlefront it is the same 4(5 in december) for the big maps, medium maps, and small maps. If you told me that Assault Walker and Supremacy had 10 maps there would be zero issue with the Multiplayer side of this thing(single player is another issue entirely). I think a lot of uninformed people are going to be surprised when they get the game and see the same 4 maps over and over in each of the modes.

I've already seen some streamers experience this very thing. They thought 12 maps and then see the same handful of maps.

Yup. This is one of those games where any talk about map count had to be qualified.

At the time of release the game was seen as having the potential to rival World of Warcraft.

They announced that they were going Free 2 Play within 7-8 months of launching.

Today TOR continues to exist and generate revenue for its parent company, as do any number of MMOs.....but it's not even a shadow of what people thought it would be. Yet people still say stuff like "Oh everyone will play it because it's Star Wars!"
Most people did play it because it's Star Wars only to find out how bad the game was and abandon it quickly. Name alone don't keep games alive and neither does story which are the 2 things bw focused so heavily on. Gameplay is forever king. Which swtor lacked heavily.

There's plenty of Battlefield fans on PS4 who see Hardline as a failure. The Hardline OT here is all people laughing at the game and population.

There are going to be people that dislike the game, but a lot of people from the competitive community, casual players and people in the Hardline OT that enjoy it for the solid BF infantry game it is. The population isn't as high as BF4, but the game itself isn't as broad. Even people who disliked the game thought it did a lot of things well and better than BF4.

gossi

There are going to be people that dislike the game, but a lot of people from the competitive community, casual players and people in the Hardline OT that enjoy it for the solid BF infantry game it is. The population isn't as high as BF4, but the game itself isn't as broad. Even people who disliked the game thought it did a lot of things well and better than BF4.

Oh, I'm not saying Hardline is bad. I love Hardline. I have something like 100 hours on it. I was just pointing out Hardline has a terrible reputation online - Hardline gets ripped everywhere - but actually did fine for EA.

Oh, I'm not saying Hardline is bad. I love Hardline. I have something like 100 hours on it. I was just pointing out Hardline has a terrible reputation online - Hardline gets ripped everywhere - but actually did fine for EA.

I don't know if those people are really BF fans. I can only say that a majority of the competitive Battlefield players that I've played with/run into/are friends with and all the Battlefield friends I have don't shit on the game. Infantry combat is ahead of where BF4 is gameplay wise and and technically which is why I've put 723 hours into it.

As for Battlefront? Most of the same people are looking forward to it and they know what they are getting into concerning maps and modes. Gameplay is king even if there isn't a ton of content, a lot of people complained about the BF4 bloat. I put somewhere around 500 hours into BF1943 and I'll probably have the same or more in Battlefront.

Theorry

So annoying the game puts you in matches wich already started. I always joining the losing team that way. Have like a win ratio of 20%. Really stupid.

border

Man are you in for a surprise when you load up Battlefront. 50 ranks to grind, new weapon unlocks all the way up to Level 50. After 4-5 hours I think I am Rank 7. Still hours and hours away from getting the jet peck that should have been a damned Level 2 unlock.

ironcreed

Banned
Walker Assault - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)

Supremacy - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)

Cargo - 4:
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Hero Hunt - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Heros vs Villains - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Fighter Squadron - 4:
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
NOTE: All four are naturally in the sky.

Blast - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Droid Run - 6:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)

Drop Zone - 6:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)

This along with the missions seems okay. Of course I would prefer a campaign, but I think I will still get my money's worth with what is here in terms of hours played and scratching my Star Wars/eye candy itch with the best looking Star Wars game we have ever had.

btrboyev

I'm still struggling to find what this game is missing for people that get bored of it so quickly (and for the special few that decide they will be bored of it before giving it a fair chance) More maps? more weapons? More contrived ways of 'unlocking' things? We all act like a multiplayer fps like this hasn't shipped or been released before with this amount of content.

-If the maps are good, like really good, The community won't care much. There's a reason people play de_dust and de_dust2 for years. (CS) As long as there's always room for something new to happen on them it's not nearly as big of a deal IMO
-There's enough weapons to keep me happy. Anymore and you start to have too many that are almost exactly the same or it gets too hard to balance.
-Some of the unlocks could be a bit better but it saddens me to see how many people snub their nose up at it because its not exactly like Call of Duty. Kind of refreshing for once to have a game like this.

The game isn't for everyone that's for sure. Part of it's problem is also it's biggest positive. The graphics will draw in many until they realize it's not the type of game they wished it was. I'm honestly excited about having a game I can pick up and play, let go for a couple weeks and come back to without a worry. A game that I can get a couple of rounds in every once in a while in between the massive open world games that I've bee playing all year (Witcher 3, GTAV, MGSV, Batman. etc etc) It's honestly refreshing.

The game modes aren't that varied and the maps are bland. Seeing the same 4 maps over and over gets old really quick. Where are the space levels? I don't necessarily agree that the prequels should have been ignored with this game. Some of the prequel locations and vehicles would have given it more substance.

T 21 + Jump pack + Hoth = +51

Also I don't care what anyone says, witnessing a speeder chase on Walker Assault on Endor is worth the asking price alone.

Theorry

Playing as Imperial on Endor is so annoying. You cant see the rebels at all with their green clothing. And you are a big white target.

Plasma

Banned
The Battle of Jakku DLC is going to be free for everyone, pre-ordering the game from Origin just means you get it a week early right? I've bought it on GMG and I'm just wondering if I should cancel it, I'm not bothered if I have to wait a week to play it but I might as well cancel my order if I have to pay more to play it at all.

JDHarbs

The Battle of Jakku DLC is going to be free for everyone, pre-ordering the game from Origin just means you get it a week early right? I've bought it on GMG and I'm just wondering if I should cancel it, I'm not bothered if I have to wait a week to play it but I might as well cancel my order if I have to pay more to play it at all.
Yup. Free for everyone on December 8th. Pre-Ordering just gives it to you a week early on December 1st.

RyanW

4 Maps in Walker Assault
4 Maps in Supremacy (mostly the same maps as WA but in a different time of day)

Havent played the other modes much.

That Jakku DLC probably will add 1 Map to both this big modes.

Also should be said aside from the time of day there are some other changes like in the Supremacy variant of Hoth there's the area with Rebel transport ship

BHK3

Banned
Charged pulse cannon shot seems like a crutch feature.

I hope they add some sort of hardcore mode, only guns and grenades no HUD or Minimap. Half if not most of my deaths are to the sentry bots that have 10000hp or to pulse cannons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom