• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasmid

Wow did NOT know that GMG wasn't going to A) Have jakku content and B) no preload.

Damn, how long does a refund from GMG take?

God I'm awful, a guy who I think was AFK just got more points than me.

The TTK was legit passing me off..... but then I just refocused immensely more on staying alive either by methodically/slowly moving thru the map or finding spots to control or dig in. It's worked surprisingly well as most are still just spawning/sprinting right towards killzones like CoD

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For the record, Battlefield fans on PS4 don't see Hardline as a failure and are really excited for Battlefront.

"Battlefield fans on PS4"? What is this. Is there an organization? How the hell did you determine this? From public voice chat in a game you played last night?

Theorry

I am still very confused by the minimap. Its like a mix between Battlefield and Destiny. But i dont know it doesnt feel really accurate.

played a few games of this on Xbox one with ea access. Incredibly boring after a few matches. Deffo not picking it up. I will be shocked if this gets good reviews because its not my cup of tea at all

So it shouldn't get good reviews because it isn't your cup of tea? :p

Not that I disagree, have played a couple of hours and it feels too slow and clunky. Either the old Battlefronts were way faster or I remember completely wrong. Once the appreciation of the graphics wears off you're just left with a not very fun game with very little content.

Wow did NOT know that GMG wasn't going to A) Have jakku content and B) no preload.

Where did you see this? Don't really care about Jakku early tbh, since it's still very close to launch, but preload would have been nice. :( Still, thankfully my internet is nice enough to get it done quickly but a I'd expect warning on the GMG page.

JimiNutz

Banned
I used my 10 hours over Fri and Sat and now I'm really, really missing the game. The hunger is real :(

10 hours was nowhere near enough for me. I basically spent my whole time in Walker Assault and Blast and I barely had time for Fighter Squadron, Survival, Supremacy or Hero Hunt which I am all really excited to play. Plus my old favourite from the beta - Drop Zone.

Base game definitely has more than enough content for me and I expect to get another 40 hours out of the game minimum (along with the 22 hours that I've already played thanks to the Beta and EA Access).

That alone makes this my GOTY so far this year.

jesu

I used my 10 hours over Fri and Sat and now I'm really, really missing the game. The hunger is real :(

10 hours was nowhere near enough for me. I basically spent my whole time in Walker Assault and Blast and I barely had time for Fighter Squadron, Survival, Supremacy or Hero Hunt which I am all really excited to play. Plus my old favourite from the beta - Drop Zone.

Base game definitely has more than enough content for me and I expect to get another 40 hours out of the game minimum (along with the 22 hours that I've already played thanks to the Beta and EA Access).

That alone makes this my GOTY so far this year.

It really is that good imo.

SegaShack

I would rather a developer prioritize making a "small" amount of content polished and replayable than make a large amount of content that is mediocre and bland. I see much of the former with this game. I also know that my philosophies are of a dying type; people just want to see quantity over quality anymore. I loved the beta and never grew tired of it. I feel like the full release will hold my attention for a long time to come.

This. Seriously, people's expectations of content these days are what kills high quality short games. Arcade type games like Contra, Streets of Rage, or the classic Sonic games just wouldn't be made today because they would be "too short". Those games I listed are an hour long yet I have replayed tons and tons of time because they are so well done.

I haven't played the new battlefront yet, but if the gameplay itself is great and if what is there is high quality, I don't see an issue. I would much rather have a great game with a small amount of maps vs an average game with a ton of maps and unlockables.

Considering how insanely high quality the maps are - looking straight out of the movies opposed to a video game - I find it hard to compare 1 map here as equal value as one map in a similar game.

This. Seriously, people's expectations of content these days are what kills high quality short games. Arcade type games like Contra, Streets of Rage, or the classic Sonic games just wouldn't be made today because they would be "too short". Those games I listed are an our long yet I have replayed tons and tons of time because they are so well done.

I haven't played the new battlefront yet, but if the gameplay itself is great and if what is there is high quality, I don't see an issue. I would much rather have a great game with a small amount of maps vs an average game with a ton of maps and unlockables.

But that mentality isn't really applicable here. Contra, Streets of Rage, and Sonic games are based on single player content. A game that's primarily sold on the purpose of multiplayer has different expectations. And comparing them to today's games is silly. Titles evolve, get bigger. Maybe use, I dunno, Sengoku Basara? Or Sonic Generations?

Both of those games have tons of replay and content that's worthwhile.

It's not like I disagree with you, either. If a game is good enough, it makes a lot of the content on its own. But Battlefront seems weak in the gameplay department from what people are saying and what I've played in the beta. That's just my opinion, but some people are of the same. And some people aren't!

SegaShack

But that mentality isn't really applicable here. Contra, Streets of Rage, and Sonic games are based on single player content. A game that's primarily sold on the purpose of multiplayer has different expectations. And comparing them to today's games is silly. Titles evolve, get bigger. Maybe use, I dunno, Sengoku Basara? Or Sonic Generations?

Both of those games have tons of replay and content that's worthwhile.

It's not like I disagree with you, either. If a game is good enough, it makes a lot of the content on its own. But Battlefront seems weak in the gameplay department from what people are saying and what I've played in the beta. That's just my opinion, but some people are of the same. And some people aren't!

Yeah I think Generations is definitely a good modern example of short but high quality. Streets of Rage and Contra are multiplayer though. I suppose not many old games were multiplayer only though. That being said I absolutely loved Titanfall despite people saying it was lacking. I definitely can't judge Battlefront until I play it though. However, good gameplay will always be the best content to me, so if BF succeeds at this I will be happy.

If I only have one concern is the heroes (darth vader, etc).

To be more specific, how hard will it be to be able to control a hero. Is it random or if you need to be one of the elite players to control them?

jesu

To be more specific, how hard will it be to be able to control a hero. Is it random or if you need to be one of the elite players to control them?

It's a pick up on the map.
You don't have to do anything.

Hyunkel6

They are very very rare though, at least in the beta.

GravyButt

Is there a larger map to view? I was sort of confused playing the mode (forget the name) but its sort of like the classic BF mode. I really didn't know where the cap points really were. Just circles in the air I was blindy running too since the minimap on the hud is totally useless.

Man are you in for a surprise when you load up Battlefront. 50 ranks to grind, new weapon unlocks all the way up to Level 50. After 4-5 hours I think I am Rank 7. Still hours and hours away from getting the jet peck that should have been a damned Level 2 unlock.

According to the app, the last non-cosmetic unlock is at rank 28.

The graphics are incredible but you definitely notice the lower resolution on xb1. Whatever graphic technology they used to produce there service textures is miles ahead if anything else and it's easily the most realistic looking game I've ever played.

I think I might actually pick this up on PC down the road just to see how pretty it looks at 1080p

According to the app, the last non-cosmetic unlock is at rank 28.

I've played about 4-5 hours and only hit level 5 so 28 is going to be a long ass time

The disappointing thing about it is the awesome sniper that was in the beta looks to be one of the last things you unlock and you don't get the jet pack till level 15. I really don't like this.

I've played about 4-5 hours and only hit level 5 so 28 is going to be a long ass time

The disappointing thing about it is the awesome sniper that was in the beta looks to be one of the last things you unlock and you don't get the jet pack till level 15. I really don't like this.

From what others have said, the leveling is pretty fast. Also, I'm mainly glad that there isn't microunlocks like attachments and that bullshit.

prag16

Banned

Yeah, it's weak, but tons of people seem to be overreacting. Wait a few extra hours to start playing on launch day, and wait an extra week to play Jakku maps free? Fine with me since I saved $14. I wouldn't have even gotten to play it midnight launch day anyway, so $14 to get Jakku a week earlier isn't worth it to me.

Fighter Squadron and getting the Hero ship during it will be the absolute fastest way to level. So if you want to be efficient on getting the non-cosmetic unlocks, that is the way to go.

Fighter Squadron and getting the Hero ship during it will be the absolute fastest way to level. So if you want to be efficient on getting the non-cosmetic unlocks, that is the way to go.

Is fighter squadron just air combat? For all the shit I've said I actually think the air combat is quite fun in this game.

//ARCANUM

How can I be decent at every other shooter I've ever played since the original DOOM (for example, most recently in Halo 5 I'm always in the top 3 of a team match), but be absolutely, laughably awful at battlefront? I've probably put in close to 10 hrs at this point and I am consistently getting max 2 kills in an entire match. I'm aiming at guys, shooting at them, they're not dying and I'm dying like 20 times per match. I've never played a battlefield game before, so what am I doing wrong? Why does this feel so different than any other shooter I've ever played?

And I've tried both 3rd person and 1st person and neither helps.

Is fighter squadron just air combat? For all the shit I've said I actually think the air combat is quite fun in this game.

Yup. Constant stuff to shoot and easy AI kills. You get so much XP/Credits it is ridiculous. I would not be surprised if the amount got toned down within days of release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom