• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Btw I found another freak glitch in where if you managed to become a hero right at the very second you get killed by someone, you become that hero but you're stuck uninteractive where you're standing and invincible.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Btw I found another freak glitch in where if you managed to become a hero right at the very second you get killed by someone, you become that hero but you're stuck uninteractive where you're standing and invincible.
Oh this happened to me, except the invincible part. I was just stuck unable to control the character until I got shot and killed.

Ozorov

Maybe they can nerf the vehicle turrets so they do less damage to the AT-ST? Make it 10 per hit, instead of 20.

I would love if they added a second trait for vehicles. So we could have two traits active, one for infantry and one for vehicles. One for vehicles could example be at level X "Can't be targeted by auto-turrets". Or maybe that will be Op

I just think that fighters shouldn't do nearly as much damage to ground targets. Cut their damage to infantry, airspeeders, and AT-STs to 1/4th of what it is now.

Leave the airspeeder as it is, maybe give it a slight increase in blast radius. The airspeeder is supposed to be the Rebel equivalent/counter to the AT-ST.

Ozorov

I just think that fighters shouldn't do nearly as much damage to ground targets. Cut their damage to infantry, airspeeders, and AT-STs to 1/4th of what it is now.

Leave the airspeeder as it is, maybe give it a slight increase in blast radius. The airspeeder is supposed to be the Rebel equivalent/counter to the AT-ST.
1/4 sounds a bit much but other then that...

tumblr_ny5yh1SuZl1tq4of6o1_500.gif

So I guess it's not technically glitched for most kills in Blast? Just played for the first time in a couple months and the achievement still isn't "fixed" It's not part of the description that time needs to run out.

5taquitos

So I guess it's not technically glitched for most kills in Blast? Just played for the first time in a couple months and the achievement still isn't "fixed" It's not part of the description that time needs to run out.

I think they still intend to fix it, though I'm not sure how it didn't get fixed last patch considering it was in the notes.

Another thing I love about this game: the overall design of the menus and huds. It's so clean and tight, perfect really.
Playing The Division beta yesterday made me realize that. Is probably going to be a great game, but there's so much going on on your screen.

Another thing I love about this game: the overall design of the menus and huds. It's so clean and tight, perfect really.
Playing The Division beta yesterday made me realize that. Is probably going to be a great game, but there's so much going on on your screen.

About The Division, ive played this thing for 2 hours yesterday and man is that game boring and shallow. This is what i call a shallow game.

Ozorov

I believe it still shoots straight. No projectile drop. What are you comparing with the Cycler when moving?

If I move sideways while shooting the Cycler it feels like it puts on some RNG-stuff where the bullet goes - It doesn't go where the dot on the crosshair is and I'm not thinking about the projectile drop.

Pro-sketch:
Th533bR.jpg

And the shot goes somewhere in the red zone

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I know I've been very vocal against the way this game has been designed, but tbh I think it'll always have balance oddities just by nature of its casual approach and haphazard distribution of powers and vehicles. Work can, should, and will be done towards fine tuning match flow, but I really think it's always going to have problems. Stuff like the A-Wings being far and away the best vehicle, and Endor Walker Assault a terribly designed map, just strike me as some of many, many odd oversights that cannot be truly remedied without going right back to the drawing board and redesigning the game.

With air I feel their problem is making it not too essential to ensure that casual players can enjoy matches without them, but in the same breath making them useful enough to warrant play. At the moment it's kinda both extremes; you don't need air at all to win a match of walker assault, assuming your team isn't made up of incompetent shitstains. But in the same breath a competent pilot will utterly wreck infantry.

I'm not sure how they can balance it, to be honest. Fixing up the A-Wings a bit might help though, as once some TIEs get in the air that can put a bit of pressure on them. I suspect the biggest issue with A-Wings is their speed, and thus hit box, versus the auto targeting. Every other vehicle match up is just the right speed that auto targeting is highly viable no matter which angle the vehicles intercept. A-Wings however have the advantage where their speed seems to be that little bit ahead of blaster speed, making it super fucking easy to not get hit at all. The obvious skill answer to this is to not use auto targeting and instead git gud with manual. But having every single other air match-up viable with auto targeting, and A-Wings being the only outlier with an advantage, just highlights the huge imbalance.

Ozorov

I know I've been very vocal against the way this game has been designed, but tbh I think it'll always have balance oddities just by nature of its casual approach and haphazard distribution of powers and vehicles. Work can, should, and will be done towards fine tuning match flow, but I really think it's always going to have problems. Stuff like the A-Wings being far and away the best vehicle, and Endor Walker Assault a terribly designed map, just strike me as some of many, many odd oversights that cannot be truly remedied without going right back to the drawing board and redesigning the game.

With air I feel their problem is making it not too essential to ensure that casual players can enjoy matches without them, but in the same breath making them useful enough to warrant play. At the moment it's kinda both extremes; you don't need air at all to win a match of walker assault, assuming your team isn't made up of incompetent shitstains. But in the same breath a competent pilot will utterly wreck infantry.

I'm not sure how they can balance it, to be honest. Fixing up the A-Wings a bit might help though, as once some TIEs get in the air that can put a bit of pressure on them. I suspect the biggest issue with A-Wings is their speed, and thus hit box, versus the auto targeting. Every other vehicle match up is just the right speed that auto targeting is highly viable no matter which angle the vehicles intercept. A-Wings however have the advantage where their speed seems to be that little bit ahead of blaster speed, making it super fucking easy to not get hit at all. The obvious skill answer to this is to not use auto targeting and instead git gud with manual. But having every single other air match-up viable with auto targeting, and A-Wings being the only outlier with an advantage, just highlights the huge imbalance.
We'll see next week what they have come up with regarding the A-wing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If I move sideways while shooting the Cycler it feels like it puts on some RNG-stuff where the bullet goes - It doesn't go where the dot on the crosshair is and I'm not thinking about the projectile drop.

Pro-sketch:
Th533bR.jpg

And the shot goes somewhere in the red zone

Oh I get what you are saying. I believe you are correct.

We'll see next week what they have come up with regarding the A-wing.

Agreed.

Not to mention this has always been 'par for the course' with competent pilots versus not shitstain infantry in most online games, especially the Battlefield series since their inception. It is not a side effect of 'casual', since those are considered more 'core'. Man the damage a pilot would do in Battlefield 2 on up, especially with a flight stick, lol. They just need solid counter-measures, and AT-ST's need to stand back and do their support role better instead of wanting to be a infantry stomper (I blame the trophy).

Honestly I think the air vehicles work pretty well, other than the a-wing being over powered. Good pilots can rack up a lot of kills, which helps their infantry but at the same time they can't cap anything so they can't 'win' a game.
In BF4, air superiority leads to ground vehicle superiority - which can win a game, even 2 or 3 incompetent tank drivers with no opposition can totally dominate.
It would be nice to have a non-lock on anti air option which didn't involve trying to hit them with a Blaster, maybe we will see something down the line for that.

Pretty much this right here.

The issues in not the air superiority with objectives in a team based game. It is the K/D ratio players not giving a fuck about winning or losing. If they had a leaderboard setup where team-play is more meaningful, this could help, however, the CoD K/D disease is still the ultimate 'competitive' mental block.

poppabk

Honestly I think the air vehicles work pretty well, other than the a-wing being over powered. Good pilots can rack up a lot of kills, which helps their infantry but at the same time they can't cap anything so they can't 'win' a game.
In BF4, air superiority leads to ground vehicle superiority - which can win a game, even 2 or 3 incompetent tank drivers with no opposition can totally dominate.
It would be nice to have a non-lock on anti air option which didn't involve trying to hit them with a Blaster, maybe we will see something down the line for that.

Palpable

While aiming down the sights with any zoom in weapon (cycler, pulse cannon, smart rocket) switch to first and third person. The fucking crosshair moves. That needs to be fixed. When zooming in with scoped weapons, it should always be the same.

I agree, love the air game in this. Though, I always prefer arcadey elements in games over seriousness.

Ozorov

While aiming down the sights with any zoom in weapon (cycler, pulse cannon, smart rocket) switch to first and third person. The fucking crosshair moves. That needs to be fixed. When zooming in with scoped weapons, it should always be the same.
Tweet it to Dennis (dice_firewall) or Gustav (gustavhalling)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Is it possibly different due to the 'offset'?

poppabk

I feel like there is something wrong with the aiming switching from 1st to 3rd person. Whenever I get on a Blaster cannon and it switches to third person I have to aim significantly above the target I am trying to hit.

Ozorov

I feel like there is something wrong with the aiming switching from 1st to 3rd person. Whenever I get on a Blaster cannon and it switches to third person I have to aim significantly above the target I am trying to hit.
It is the same problem if you already are in 3rd person mode

MADGAME

*snip*....and AT-ST's need to stand back and do their support role better instead of wanting to be a infantry stomper (I blame the trophy)..

Agreed! Most of the people I see trying to do the make wine/stomping grapes tactic with the AT-ST don't last long unless their team is already dominating. Most maps you have to play it safe from the back if you want to remain in an AT-ST for more than few seconds. Prime example is Sullust (I play a lot of WA); if you mad dash it to the AT-ST and spawn in, you already have missiles coming at you the majority of the time and that's before the aircraft get you in their crosshairs.

Woorloog

Banned
Should be called "Daily task" rather than Challenge. And the Challenges proper should be "waste of credits that reward little credits".

Why do i have a feeling expansion items won't be unlocked with credits... I don't know anything, of course, but just a feeling.
I'm afraid my useless 125k credits are going to be even more useless...

EDIT This is one reason i really dislike unlock systems. What's the fucking point of one if there's nothing to use the money for? Just unlock everything from the beginning, in my case nothing ever changes except that i'd enjoy the early days a bit more.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Should be called "Daily task" rather than Challenge. And the Challenges proper should be "waste of credits that reward little credits".

Why do i have a feeling expansion items won't be unlocked with credits... I don't know anything, of course, but just a feeling.

What gives you that feeling?

Ozorov

EDIT This is one reason i really dislike unlock systems. What's the fucking point of one if there's nothing to use the money for? Just unlock everything from the beginning, in my case nothing ever changes except that i'd enjoy the early days a bit more.

Do you think the items will be free for those who buy the DLC or what?

Woorloog

Banned
What gives you that feeling?

The fact the game's DICE's game.
My experience with Battlefield 3. (Never played BF4, not after playing BF3, and given BF4's launch issues, i dodged a bullet there.)

Pretty sure BF3's DLC unlocks were tied to some silly challenges... Though base weapons were unlocked by ranks and weapon mods were unlocked by using the weapon, so it isn't quite the same system as Battlefront has.

The second reason for the feeling is that i reckon most things DLCs will add will be pointless. Not gonna waste credits on something i won't use. (Indeed, i could buy a lot of stuff as it is but since everything's worthless, why bother?) EDIT Not saying everything but what i use is worthless, rather the issue is that some things are used by pretty much no one, and for good reason.

Do you think the items will be free for those who buy the DLC or what?
No, i reckon they might tie them to some utterly stupid challenges or something else rather than just making them buyable items.

Ozorov

The fact the game's DICE's game.
No, i reckon they might tie them to some utterly stupid challenges or something else rather than just making them buyable items.

Feels weird if you have to pay for a DLC then have to make a challenge to unlock it. But we'll see in a month.

Woorloog

Banned
Feels weird if you have to pay for a DLC then have to make a challenge to unlock it. But we'll see in a month.

That's how BF3's DLC unlockabes worked... if i recall correctly. At least some of them. But then those DLCs didn't add to the rank cap which was pretty high already, nor did they integrate the DLC to the existing ranks, so i guess they didn't have any other choice, now that i think of this.

But really, with EA/DICE being at the helm, i won't be surprised if there's some utterly odd scheme in place. I'll be more surprised if they're just normal items.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ah gotcha. But didn't BF3/4 have select unlocks tied to certain challenges in the base game as well?

Meaning this game has zero items tied to challenges, it is all Level/Credit based. So the pattern would suggest the content in the DLC will be Level/Credit based as well.

The only 'challenges' for addition skins are the community ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom