• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
A problem with more than 4 heroes is that there are very few that suit the Empire, unless you're including all those bounty hunters... And Boba Fett already represents the group, i think.

The Rebels have it easy: Lando, Chewbacca, Obi-Wan, at least.
The Empire? Uhh... As i like suggesting, General Veers but it is easy to argue against him and he ain't that iconic (how many here remember who Veers is?). Tarkin? Not really a fighter type, less than the Emperor is really.

5taquitos

If there are only four total additional characters and Nien Nunb and Greedo take two of those slots, I'm going to be fairly upset. I know there's not a lot of villains to choose from, but picking Nien Nunb as one of the two Hero slots is baffling. That means we'd only get one of the following: Obi-Wan, Chewie, Lando

Woorloog

Banned
There's no OT-era saber-wielding Imperial Vader aside. Unless Rogue One counts as OT-era and includes a new dark Jedi or some such.

EDIT Obi-Wan works, oddly enough, as a skin for Death Star Luke. I mean, ANH Luke is kind of noob.

5taquitos

There's no OT-era saber-wielding Imperial Vader aside. Unless Rogue One counts as OT-era and includes a new dark Jedi or some such.

EDIT Obi-Wan works, oddly enough, as a skin for Death Star Luke. I mean, ANH Luke is kind of noob.

It would be cool to have a Luke with a blaster and saber, but I don't know how that would work with HvV with two Lukes at once.

5taquitos

Someone mentioned on reddit that the sunrise version of Jakku now has the Super Star Destroyer getting pummeled in the sky, while the daytime one has the old crashing animation. So it gets hammered on in the morning and crashes in the day.

Haven't checked it out myself yet, but pretty cool little touch if true.

Palpable

We should schedule a GAF wide private match of some big modes like WA, TP, or Supremacy. I'd love to just have a room full of guys from here to play Twilight on Hoth. That map is dope.

Xzan

I'm really liking the changes in this update, particularly the Cycler Rifle and A-Wing changes.

I was on Jundland Wastes WA last night and got a couple of nice hip-fired flick shots with the Cycler Rifle on two Y-Wings in a row and shot them down as they flew overhead, and the projectile speed increase meant I could finish off an airspeeder I'd worn down with Ion Shot. I meant to save both recordings but forgot, dammit.

The A-wing change is pretty good. I got the drop on two A-wings on Sullust and took them both out quickly with minimal damage. The superiority that shields gives to Rebel fighters is just too good, though the increased Ion Torpedo turn radius helps with that I suppose.

Homing Shot is more frequent again but the speed nerf from the last update means they're only a minor annoyance. The Pulse Cannon is still a pain in the ass though. Fuck Jakku when half the enemy team is using Pulse Cannon + Explosive Shot.

And it appears as though they've removed the turbo laser in the middle between the first set of uplinks on Sullust? That's a pity, I always run Ion Shot on Sullust and turbolaser turrets are a pinata of points and a free kill.

I got a double heavy blaster kill challenge last night from the normal rotation and the daily, so I tried the DLT-19 and T-21 again but found them frustrating to use compared to my standard EE-3. Later, I decided to try the RT-97C and its surprisingly good still, despite the nerf in January. Even when fired in short bursts while Focus Fire was on cooldown, it still shredded targets in that 25m-45m range. I still think that you'd be better off with the A280C at that range whilst being strong up close but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

I'm also interested in a Battlefront GAF private match, only problem is I'm in the EU.

Regarding the new heroes:
They state we're getting 4 new heroes with the season pass, but that doesn't mean that they can't do more. My guess is that we'll get them through separate DLC and wouldn't be surprised if it includes one or two really iconic characters (Yoda/Obi-Wan/Chewie).

though the increased Ion Torpedo turn radius helps with that I suppose.

It's still useless against A-wings, they're just to fast. Tried it in a couple of WA matches, didn't get one hit on an A-wing and believe me, I tried.
I keep it in my loadout to use against turrets and AT-ST's.

CD'S BAR

The Raider Camp one you mean? Yeah, that's a pretty shitty blast map. At first I didn't like Dropzone on it either, but it kinda grew on me and find it actually pretty good now.

Shit I love Raider Camp on Blast. Yeah people camp but it's a sniper's paradise. No other Blast map plays quite like it.

Lulu23

I'm also interested in a Battlefront GAF private match, only problem is I'm in the EU.

Yeah me too.

What do you guys think about Fighter Squadron now?
I was looking forward to the patch because I really like Fighter Squadron but it was unplayable due to the overpowered A-Wing.
Played a couple of rounds yesterday, rebels still won 100% of the time, it's ridiculous.

Ozorov

Well... Greedo can shoot first

aHDWU67.gif

Xzan

It's still useless against A-wings, they're just to fast. Tried it in a couple of WA matches, didn't get one hit on an A-wing and believe me, I tried.
I keep it in my loadout to use against turrets and AT-ST's.

Yeah, I wouldn't know. Its been out of my two main loadouts since a couple of days after the January update. What I did notice is that one shot me down despite hitting evade (in fact it hit me DURING the evasive maneuver).

It could've been lag or it could be the change though, I don't know.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah me too.

What do you guys think about Fighter Squadron now?
I was looking forward to the patch because I really like Fighter Squadron but it was unplayable due to the overpowered A-Wing.
Played a couple of rounds yesterday, rebels still won 100% of the time, it's ridiculous.

When I played on the first day of the patch, I was killing A-Wings much easier with a regular TIE due to the expanded hitbox. While the few matches I was in, the Rebels still won, but it was not blowouts like before. Was within a few kills. But that was a small sample, and probably rusty players or new ones.

lawnchair

Banned
started using cycler rifle a couple of days ago, picked up the precision shot trophy today. i went on a run of 3 headshots in a couple minute span at golazan (whatever) badlands to get the trophy. just been playing Blast. really fun gun to use .. but my k/d ratio definitely suffers when i use it

MADGAME

Shooting an Air speeder off an AT-AT while it is attempting tow cable it, or destroying one in the process should give hefty objective points. Currently you get nothing (right?), but said actions can win you the game.

5taquitos

Shooting an Air speeder off an AT-AT while it is attempting tow cable it, or destroying one in the process should give hefty objective points. Currently you get nothing (right?), but said actions can win you the game.

Yeah, you should get big points for causing the speeder to fail the mini-game.

Ozorov

started using cycler rifle a couple of days ago, picked up the precision shot trophy today. i went on a run of 3 headshots in a couple minute span at golazan (whatever) badlands to get the trophy. just been playing Blast. really fun gun to use .. but my k/d ratio definitely suffers when i use it
Same here its a really fun star card but pulse cannon is still much better imo

Xzan

Looks like Pulse Cannon did get a slight nerf beyond movement speed whilst ADS, the spread penalty when moving went from 0º to 3º spread according to the data files on Symthic.

Not unreasonable IMO. I don't have a problem with the weapon's damage, only its ease of use, so this is a good step.

Woorloog

Banned
Looks like Pulse Cannon did get a slight nerf beyond movement speed whilst ADS, the spread penalty when moving went from 0º to 3º spread according to the data files on Symthic.

Not unreasonable IMO. I don't have a problem with the weapon's damage, only its ease of use, so this is a good step.

Ah, my friend was complaining he didn't hit with the weapon as easily as before anymore.

Wonder what else hasn't been documented...

lawnchair

Banned
Same here its a really fun star card but pulse cannon is still much better imo

i haven't used the pulse cannon. i like the cycler rifle because (even though i'm getting less kills overall) when i pull a headshot on somebody it's just a fucking fantastic feeling. it's tough to do, it's really rewarding. i don't think i've ever been killed by a cycler rifle in my 50ish hours with the game, i don't think it's used much .. i like to think of the opposing player running around a corner, taking a cycler rifle shot to the head being like WTF just happened, i got killed by the CYCLER RIFLE?

MADGAME

I've been thinking about Homing Shot.

I don't use it, and only have been locked on to a handful of times recently, and even less after the patch. This means other people aren't using it either, probably because it is now difficult to get kills with it. But you know what it does? It makes you run and take cover so you don't get hit. This made me consider - is that the real benefit of the star card? If your try to snipe someone with a Pulse Rifle and miss, they are right back in the action and even know exactly where you are. Send a homing shot their way, and they need to take cover until the Homing Shot detonates near them, along the way, or hits them. During this time they can't kill, play the objective, or at the very least they need to divert and redirect. You on the other hand are free to move and re-position and that holds true whether you hit or miss. A kill is just gravy.

I may mess around with it on Jakku at least to see if I can use it to modify the situation of battle, which could be better than a kill.

PrankT

I may mess around with it on Jakku at least to see if I can use it to modify the situation of battle, which could be better than a kill.
I don't use it either, but the lock on in conjunction with the slow speed is too long to bother with. You'll probably get sniped by a pulse canon before you can make someone else take cover.

MADGAME

I don't use it either, but the lock on in conjunction with the slow speed is too long to bother with. You'll probably get sniped by a pulse canon before you can make someone else take cover.

Oh yeah, I forgot they reduced the projectile speed. Hmmm.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I've been away for a couple months because I couldn't be bothered with the lack of balance in Fighter Squadron, figured I would hop on and give it a go now that the A-Wings are supposedly fixed. It still feels the same, two of the exact same teams for 4 matches, so the same people on each side, no top players leaving, Rebels won 4 times in a row regardless of who was playing them. I didn't die once when playing either the X-Wing or A-Wing, while as either Tie would blow up when the wind changed direction.

I'm not sure if Dice are terrible at balancing the mode, or they are trying to stay true to Star Wars, in which case they seem to be missing the point of the Empire. The Empire win with their numbers, their starfighters are cheap, non-shielded weaker ships, but they have the numbers to overwhelm their enemy. In the game you are on equal footing with worse abilities. Is there a point to the speed ability? because it doesn't seem to be useful besides getting into battle faster after you keep dying, it doesn't seem to out run anything and in no way helps protecting yourself like the shield ability of the Rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom