• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I be decent at every other shooter I've ever played since the original DOOM (for example, most recently in Halo 5 I'm always in the top 3 of a team match), but be absolutely, laughably awful at battlefront? I've probably put in close to 10 hrs at this point and I am consistently getting max 2 kills in an entire match. I'm aiming at guys, shooting at them, they're not dying and I'm dying like 20 times per match. I've never played a battlefield game before, so what am I doing wrong? Why does this feel so different than any other shooter I've ever played?

And I've tried both 3rd person and 1st person and neither helps.

I suggest you try it again, Arcanum. Only this time, let go of your conscious self and act on instinct.

Played 4 hours of walker assault, still haven't seen a hero pickup. This will be the reason I don't get this

If you play Walker Assault to be a hero, you're going to have a bad time. Since Hero timers(constantly losing health) has been removed, as long as someone is alive as a Hero, no other Hero Pickup spawns. The better people get at this game and choosing Solo/Fett instead of the more melee focused heroes, the longer they'll survive in the match. Which leads to the smaller chance of people having to become a Hero during those types of matches.

J_Viper

I'm still curious as to which DICE studio handled this.

I remember when it was first announced, it was DICE LA who was rumored to take development. Then a year afterwards, it was the main Sweden branch who were on board.

This game just feels so sloppily thrown together in a way that seems unusual for a studio that has made so many great shooters

If you play Walker Assault to be a hero, you're going to have a bad time. Since Hero timers(constantly losing health) has been removed, as long as someone is alive as a Hero, no other Hero Pickup spawns. The better people get at this game and choosing Solo/Fett instead of the more melee focused heroes, the longer they'll survive in the match. Which leads to the smaller chance of people having to become a Hero during those types of matches.
I see them constantly. Just annoys me I don't get my chance

slapnuts

played a few games of this on Xbox one with ea access. Incredibly boring after a few matches. Deffo not picking it up. I will be shocked if this gets good reviews because its not my cup of tea at all

Been hearing this from all sorts of people from xbox, might be because of the Halo goodness? Not sure but from what i been hearing is its simply not fun and the visuals, while nice, are the best thing going for it.

Also, i personally feel very very agitated that they did not concentrate on a full blown single player experience. To me, with the next movie right around, having a full fledge single player campaign would of be GOLDEN! There are still just as much if not more gamers that enjoy full feldged single player campaigns. I mean..this is star wars on the new consoles...don't give us a half-assed multi player only...dman that shit pisses me off along with a bunch of other star wars fans/gamers i been reading on reddit, FB, twitter,etc...lots of people are salty because of no single player. We wanna re-live that star wars universe as much as possible in video games and multi-player only just gives off a feeling as "We know whats best for you, so deal with it" kind of crap. Im pissed and so are many others. I hope this multi-player only game tanks!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Been hearing this from all sorts of people from xbox, might be because of the Halo goodness? Not sure but from what i been hearing is its simply not fun and the visuals, while nice, are the best thing going for it.

Also, i personally feel very very agitated that they did not concentrate on a full blown single player experience. To me, with the next movie right around, having a full fledge single player campaign would of be GOLDEN! There are still just as much if not more gamers that enjoy full feldged single player campaigns. I mean..this is star wars on the new consoles...don't give us a half-assed multi player only...dman that shit pisses me off along with a bunch of other star wars fans/gamers i been reading on reddit, FB, twitter,etc...lots of people are salty because of no single player. We wanna re-live that star wars universe as much as possible in video games and multi-player only just gives off a feeling as "We know whats best for you, so deal with it" kind of crap. Im pissed and so are many others. I hope this multi-player only game tanks!
When was the last time DICE did an SP campaign that didn't suck ass?

I honestly don't think I have ever been so torn on a game before. I mean on one hand,this is the first Battlefront title in 10 years and of course,I want to play it. But on the other, with all of the complaints of a lack of content and the game apparently rather shallow,and with not much going for it besides the graphics,I'm leaning towards skipping the game all together. I played the beta and had fun,but since the final game doesn't seem to be that different in terms of depth,again,I'm probably going to pass.

A single player (maybe with multi, i don't know) is being developed at EA by another studio. This game targets an specific audience. Sadly you are not one of them. Game doesn't deserve to "tank" because of it.

//ARCANUM

I suggest you try it again, Arcanum. Only this time, let go of your conscious self and act on instinct.

So... Sorry to quote myself for a new page, but I could genuinely use some help with this, here's what I had said:

How can I be decent at every other shooter I've ever played since the original DOOM (for example, most recently in Halo 5 I'm always in the top 3 of a team match), but be absolutely, laughably awful at battlefront? I've probably put in close to 10 hrs at this point and I am consistently getting max 2 kills in an entire match. I'm aiming at guys, shooting at them, they're not dying and I'm dying like 20 times per match. I've never played a battlefield game before, so what am I doing wrong? Why does this feel so different than any other shooter I've ever played?

I think this will suck if you're looking for a deep multiplayer game that you'll spend hundreds of hours on.

I just want a game I can casually play a few hours before going to bed though, so I'm happy :D

I put 20-odd hours in to the beta and 3hrs in to EA Access so far and I'm not even remotely bored of any part of the game and that's basically with only being able to find full games of Blast and Fighter Squadron. I'm guessing there's not a great deal of Aussie's with EA Access so hopefully there's more people in the other modes when I pick this up on PS4 at launch.

I'm having great fun playing it!!

PopeReal

My PS4 Battlefront bundle is supposed to be here on Tuesday from Amazon. Between this and Splatoon I think I am set for the winter.

I was really looking forward to this game at first because of how gorgeous it is and because it's Star Wars. But, after watching some gameplay, seeing the number of modes, and taking into account that I hardly stick with multiplayer titles for long, it's a little disappointing to me that I don't think I would get good play time out of this for $60.

border

According to the app, the last non-cosmetic unlock is at rank 28.

Sorry, my mistake. The last Star Card (the Bowcaster) unlocks at 32. The last Blaster unlocks at 25.

I think the bigger concern is that not many of these weapons feel or handle all that different. They're all blasters, and it seems like according to the item descriptions the only variance between them is the ranges at which they are effective. There's a couple odd one-off items like a sniper rifle that requires you to charge your shot, but it doesn't seem like the weapons are really going to be that different.

Even if you're coming from Call of Duty where everything is just some variant of a shotgun, sniper, or machine gun I think that might seem normal. If you're coming from something like Halo or Destiny where all the weapons are really different and distinct it's going to seem very constraining. Hard for me to say definitively since I doubt I will get most of this stuff unlocked by the end of my 10 hour trial.

Is the leveling fast? I don't know. The only game I ever prestiged in was Titanfall, and I wasn't really keeping track of how many hours I've played. But as I said, I don't think I'll make it to 13 within 10 hours. To me that seems pretty slow, but people coming from other games that they binge on might have different expectations. It's hard to be a fair judge when a lot of items and weapons seem like they should have been available as default options, but are instead locked behind many hours of grinding.

RobbieNick

I was playing Fighter Squadron for the first time today and was overjoyed at how well I was doing at it......

Until I realized most of my kills were bots. Didn't know about the bots. Gotta look for names next time when attacking. XP

border

When was the last time DICE did an SP campaign that didn't suck ass?

I don't like that the argument against a campaign for Battlefront is just "Well if they did a campaign it would be terrible anyway." DICE has made campaigns that were good in the past, and I doubt they really want people defending them by saying their campaigns will inevitably suck ass so why bother.

The more realistic response would be that if they did a single-player campaign they wouldn't have been able to release the game in time for The Force Awakens......but that's a far less favorable stance to take.

The training missions in the game at least hint at how a fun campaign might be. The speeder bike level is pretty awesome, as is the X-Wing training.

Rewind

BF isn't hit scan and shots tend to be more accurate on the left side of the reticule. Halo and such are hit scan (except halo 3) and shots don't drift, it can take time to get used to leading off.

border

I was playing Fighter Squadron for the first time today and was overjoyed at how well I was doing at it......

Until I realized most of my kills were bots. Didn't know about the bots. Gotta look for names next time when attacking. XP

Flying around and blasting bots and AI-controlled capital ships is a lot more fun than running around on the ground and getting absolutely shredded by other player-controlled grunts and people in AT-ATs and AT-STs.

It's an absolute shame that DICE did not decide to at least make an aerial-based horde mode for the people that only want to do single-player/co-op. I would love to hop in an X-Wing with a buddy on my wing and just murder TIE fighters all night. I think the FPS/TPS portions of the game are mediocre at best, but the flying sections are at least comparable to Rogue Squadron. It's disappointing that if you want to consistently pilot a ship you are basically stuck playing Aerial Team Deathmatch over and over. If the DLC significantly expands the flying portions of the game, I could see myself buying it.

James93

I'm still curious as to which DICE studio handled this.

I remember when it was first announced, it was DICE LA who was rumored to take development. Then a year afterwards, it was the main Sweden branch who were on board.

This game just feels so sloppily thrown together in a way that seems unusual for a studio that has made so many great shooters

I think DICE LA did more than they will admit to. Based off dice indirectly said EA made them make battlefront, even though they were booked with games.

So... Sorry to quote myself for a new page, but I could genuinely use some help with this, here's what I had said:

I have the EXACT same issue and I honestly think it boils down to how they executed the shooting. Between having to lead your shots and the weapons themselves being fustratingly inaccurate and underpowered, it just leads some very unsatisfying core gunplay that the rest of the game (vehicles, sound design, visuals, etc) has to make up for :/

Seriously, I've put 5 hours or so into the trial and im not any better now than before. Yet, something like Titanfall or Killzone Shadowfall, im regularly the MVP or at least in the top 5...

BHK3

Banned

If you die while shooting your bullets disappear in mid air, so those last few shots usually end up not counting if you bring someone to low hp and you swore you killed him before he killed you. Dices servers have never been that great, so someone can be somewhere else and it may look like your shots are hitting him when they really aren't. I would also recommend using the more long range blasters as ones like the hand gun ones lose dmg the farther away the target is and the others aren't as accurate.

Kolgar

I don't know where everyone is getting the "not worth $60" from.

Most of you here are pretty hardcore gamers, yes? No reason you shouldn't be GCU members. Thirty bucks a year. This game comes down to $48 after the 20% discount and then you get another $10 in gift certificates for preordering.

Nice deal for the USA peeps, anyway.

As for me, I am in. It's Star Wars, and it looks like a dream. This will be a great pick-up-and-play title for whenever I want to get a quick fix.

zedge

900p is considered stunning now that PS4 can't do more? Gotcha.
:lol. No shit.

Game looks great on Xbox. Probably one of the best yet. Played some warzone in halo 5 after a few hrs of battlefront and was a bit surprised how poor it looks in comparison. And it's a higher resolution afaik.

I am getting the ps4 version of battlefront to play with friends but it still looks and plays amazing on the bone. To say it looks lacklustre is hyperbolic crap.

Yoday

The only bad part of this trial has been needing to pace myself. I only have like two hours left. I'm loving this game so much. Yeah, its 720p, but its fucking gorgeous, and the framerate is rock solid. I honestly don't think I've seen a single frame drop this entire time.

I finally tried out some fighter squadron today and that was an absolute blast. I love the mix of easy to take down AI ships and the more challenging player ships. It lets you feel like a bad ass.

This game is going to be perfect for playing in short bursts of time, and I expect that to last a very long time. Even when there are other MP games that may be deeper or easier to get dedicated to, Battlefront is going to get played here and there for a quick burst of Star Wars awesomeness.

RobbieNick

Okay. I can't lie to myself anymore. Even though it only has four planets. Even though every mode only has four maps based on those planets. Even though it's very obvious half the game was cut to sell back to us as DLC, I LOVE THIS GAME! Even in it's current state, it's totally worth the $60 ($48 for us smart GCU members). I'm having so much fun with it. I haven't fully gone through the 10 hours yet not because I don't want to play it, but because I want to savor it as much as possible until I can buy it on payday. Supremacy, Cargo, fighter Squadron, it's all great! One of the best Star Wars game I've ever played.

Not all games are worth $60, but aren't some games worth more? Especially when you compare what we were paying for games in the 80's and 90's given the rate of inflation. I guess $110 for a game that sucks me into the Star Wars universe as well as this one does is totally worth it IMO.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
900p is considered stunning now that PS4 can't do more? Gotcha.

:lol. No shit.

Game looks great on Xbox. Probably one of the best yet. Played some warzone in halo 5 after a few hrs of battlefront and was a bit surprised how poor it looks in comparison. And it's a higher resolution afaik.

I am getting the ps4 version of battlefront to play with friends but it still looks and plays amazing on the bone. To say it looks lacklustre is hyperbolic crap.

Hahaha this is too good. I remember all the hate XB1 was getting when Ryse was coming out at 900p.

Ah yes, the persecution complex. If you can find a post of this exact person saying what you feel is a collective, then do so. Otherwise your colors are showing.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Ah yes, the persecution complex. If you can find a post of this exact person saying what you feel is a collective, then do so. Otherwise your colors are showing.
That carries no weight.
Though it is funny how you needed to jump in and defend them. Funny how you needed to say the words "persecution complex".

tuna_love

Banned
I wish I got a dollar everytime deepenigma accused someone of being a fan boy. I haven't been able to get into one match. Anyone from aus got ea access?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That carries no weight.
Though it is funny how you needed to jump in and defend them. Funny how you needed to say the words "persecution complex".

LOL, OK.

He makes an opinionated statement, and a hive consciousness gets yanked from it, without providing proof he said what he was being accused of.

But go ahead, shit up this thread with warz now, because we just can't have one witout it I suppose.

cleansock

Banned
Glad I had ea access. 4 hrs was enough to save me 55$. Didn't feel this game at all. First few hrs my star wars cock was flappin, but once reality hit.. I stopped playing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wish I got a dollar everytime deepenigma accused someone of being a fan boy. I haven't been able to get into one match. Anyone from aus got ea access?

Yet they is easily verifiable through post history. I am sure you will find the contrary to your statment, or will be left broke.

Where did I call anyone a fanboy in here?

Just calling out statements made against a poster with no proof he is in the "collective comments" he was being accused of. But ramble on.

etta

my hard graphic balls
LOL, OK.

He makes an opinionated statement, and the warz consciousness gets yanked from it, without providing proof he said what he was being accused of.

But go ahead, shit up this thread with warz now, because we just can't have one witout it I suppose.

Where did I accuse them of anything?

think of all the season passes you could buy.
Pretty much. False attribution of persecution complex which is why it carries no weight. And then proceeds to claim that I brought up the warz.

krrrt

think of all the season passes you could buy.

I have to admit this made me laugh out loud :p

On topic: I played the beta and liked it, and am now playing on EA access and enjoying myself. The game does seem lacking in content, but as has been said in this thread before, I don't see this as a game I will play for hours on end. It's more like something I'll play for an hour here and there for a longer time than something I binge on. That is something that feels impossible in more hardcore skill based shooters and I love Battlefront for it, even if that's what is keeping the gameplay a bit shallow'

tuna_love

Banned
Yet they is easily verifiable through post history. I am sure you will find the contrary to your statment, or will be left broke.

Where did I call anyone a fanboy in here?

Just calling out statements made against a poster with no proof he is in the "collective comments" he was being accused of. But ramble on.
Wut?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where did I accuse them of anything?

Pretty much. False attribution of persecution complex which is why it carries no weight. And then proceeds to claim that I brought up the warz.

Because laughing at a persecuting statement surely isn't showing your support of it being made. /s

Never said YOU brought it up, you just decided to respond as if you are so innocent on this forum.

All the dude said was he thought 900p looked better in comparison. He then got jumped on as "all of a sudden 900p is okay cause it is PS4"... basically acusing him of saying otherwise in the past. Kinda uncalled for, don't you think?

Or are we to make blanket statements about anyone with differing opinions, because the world is red vs. blue with no colors in between?

I live in Europe. If I buy the game from the NA store on PS4, will I have problems with matchmaking? Does it mean it will set me up with servers from NA or EU?

I have a couple of days off next week and I want to get the game as early as possible. If you guys have any info on this, please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom