• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoday

Okay. I can't lie to myself anymore. Even though it only has four planets. Even though every mode only has four maps based on those planets. Even though it's very obvious half the game was cut to sell back to us as DLC, I LOVE THIS GAME! Even in it's current state, it's totally worth the $60 ($48 for us smart GCU members). I'm having so much fun with it. I haven't fully gone through the 10 hours yet not because I don't want to play it, but because I want to savor it as much as possible until I can buy it on payday. Supremacy, Cargo, fighter Squadron, it's all great! One of the best Star Wars game I've ever played.

Not all games are worth $60, but aren't some games worth more? Especially when you compare what we were paying for games in the 80's and 90's given the rate of inflation. I guess $110 for a game that sucks me into the Star Wars universe as well as this one does is totally worth it IMO.
The game is a blast to play and there is enough variety to keep me coming back for more for what I expect will be a very long time, and that is all there is to it. Value is objective, and if someone needs some kind of arbitrary number of maps to make the value proposition fit their needs, then so be it, but that shouldn't keep you from finding more value in less content. Is playing on 10 maps over 50 hours less value compared to playing on 20 maps for 50 hours? San Andreas has significantly more content than GTA3, but I have played a hell of a lot more GTA3 than San Andreas because I enjoy what is there more than what is in San Andreas. Trying to come to a consensus on if Battlefront is worth $60 is a pointless exercise.

If you find enough value in what is there, then get the game. If you don't find enough value in what is there, then don't get the game, it is as simple as that. It is indeed easier regardless when Best Buy makes all games a better value by default. $38($46 for deluxe) is pretty damn awesome.

tuna_love

Banned
Because laughing at a persecuting statement surely isn't showing your support of it being made. /s

Never said YOU brought it up, you just decided to respond as if you are so innocent on this forum.

All the dude said was he thought 900p looked better in comparison. He then got jumped on as "all of a sudden 900p is okay cause it is PS4"... basically acusing him of saying otherwise in the past. Kinda uncalled for, don't you think?

Or are we to make blanket statements about anyone with differing opinions, because the world is red vs. blue with no colors in between?
I don't really care. I was just saying I wanted a dollar when you accuse people.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Because laughing at a persecuting statement surely isn't showing your support of it being made. /s

Never said YOU brought it up, you just decided to respond as if you are so innocent on this forum.
I think you might need to recalibrate a little. When you are serious when attributing persecution complex (which you've done quite a few times that I have seen) to people which you don't even know personally, it's probably a sign that you take things too personally, especially when it happens over the internet.
If this where to happen in person, would you tell people that they have a persecution complex, to their face, especially when not knowing them?

zedge

Walker assault on endor is really one side for the rebels. At least that's been my experience so far. Seems impossible to win as inperials.

900p is considered stunning now that PS4 can't do more? Gotcha.
900p is not stunning at all but a hell of allot better then 720p, its way closer to my tvs 1080p native resolution so it wont be to blurry. If my tv wasn't so big I wouldn't mind playing games that natively run at 720p.

border

All the dude said was he thought 900p looked better in comparison. He then got jumped on as "all of a sudden 900p is okay cause it is PS4"... basically acusing him of saying otherwise in the past. Kinda uncalled for, don't you think?

Yes. Though at the same time I'd say there was definitely a period where 900p was looked down upon as pathetic. Then Naughty Dog announced 900p for Uncharted and the response was mostly positive stuff like "It's gonna be a rock solid 60fps! Great decision!"

I don't have the time or desire to get into the post histories of every individual on NeoGAF, but from the outside it seems like Uncharted downgrades are met with much more positivity than downgrades to other games or franchises. Personally, I favor any downgrade that pushes a game towards or above 60 fps....but with titles like Battlefront those compromises seem to be met with much more hostility and resistance.

//ARCANUM

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with advice. I'll try leading my targets and (ironically) not actually shooting them dead on. I've been blasting away at people directly under my reticle and they haven't been dying :/. Pretty frustrating system.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with advice. I'll try leading my targets and (ironically) not actually shooting them dead on. I've been blasting away at people directly under my reticle and they haven't been dying :/. Pretty frustrating system.
Are you playing in 3rd person or first person view? I have been absolutely shredding ppl while playing in 3rd person view since awareness in increased and strafe movement speed seems faster.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think you might need to recalibrate a little. When you are serious when attributing persecution complex (which you've done quite a few times that I have seen) to people which you don't even know personally, it's probably a sign that you take things too personally, especially when it happens over the internet.
If this where to happen in person, would you tell people that they have a persecution complex, to their face, especially when not knowing them?

That was only the second time I have ever used it on this forum. One other, the other day. I did not take it personally (nor meant to point at you as the attacker). It is just exausting seeing someone's opinion getting him labeled as 'throwing a stone at glass houses' with zero proof, only blanketed accusations of clearly those taking things "personal", IMO.

I don't see how one could draw those conclusions out of his general question and opinion unless they took it personal. Which people do far too often over inanimate objects in life, sadly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You have to take into account that the blaster fire travels slower than projectile weaponry of our time. So the further they are away, you have to lead slightly more than you would with our modern weaponry.

Okay. I can't lie to myself anymore. Even though it only has four planets. Even though every mode only has four maps based on those planets. Even though it's very obvious half the game was cut to sell back to us as DLC, I LOVE THIS GAME! Even in it's current state, it's totally worth the $60 ($48 for us smart GCU members). I'm having so much fun with it. I haven't fully gone through the 10 hours yet not because I don't want to play it, but because I want to savor it as much as possible until I can buy it on payday. Supremacy, Cargo, fighter Squadron, it's all great! One of the best Star Wars game I've ever played.

Not all games are worth $60, but aren't some games worth more? Especially when you compare what we were paying for games in the 80's and 90's given the rate of inflation. I guess $110 for a game that sucks me into the Star Wars universe as well as this one does is totally worth it IMO.

If you get your monies worth out of a game then content be damned.

I played Destiny in Y1 for hundreds of hours when there was nothing to do, but the core gameplay was a blast. I kinda feel the same way about Battlefront. It's just so much fun to play that I'm willing to pay for it. Though regardless of how I get it my copy won't be $60. I'm not sure if I want to go PC or XB1, but either way neither will be $60.

New update version 1.02 is up on PS4 (242.5 MB).
They just disconnect me in the middle of the match and make me download it. D:

11215507_10201256873539772_1998194171885447378_n.jpg

That is incredibly disingenuous. You could play all modes(pretty much) on BF4's 10 maps. In Battlefront it is the same 4(5 in december) for the big maps, medium maps, and small maps. If you told me that Assault Walker and Supremacy had 10 maps there would be zero issue with the Multiplayer side of this thing(single player is another issue entirely). I think a lot of uninformed people are going to be surprised when they get the game and see the same 4 maps over and over in each of the modes.

I've already seen some streamers experience this very thing. They thought 12 maps and then see the same handful of maps.

Their problem entirely. If those maps are good, I'm fine with 4 in the big modes.

Ferr986

The only bad part of this trial has been needing to pace myself. I only have like two hours left. I'm loving this game so much. Yeah, its 720p, but its fucking gorgeous, and the framerate is rock solid. I honestly don't think I've seen a single frame drop this entire time.

I finally tried out some fighter squadron today and that was an absolute blast. I love the mix of easy to take down AI ships and the more challenging player ships. It lets you feel like a bad ass.

This game is going to be perfect for playing in short bursts of time, and I expect that to last a very long time. Even when there are other MP games that may be deeper or easier to get dedicated to, Battlefront is going to get played here and there for a quick burst of Star Wars awesomeness.

Didn't know Fighter Squadron had AI enemies. So it's 20 vs 20 players + AI or the AI is just for filling a team that doesn't have 20 players?

Btw, I loved using ships in the beta.
Gotta be honest sometimes I felt a little useless as a foot soldier because IMO the health is a little low for my taste (you die really fast), so I tried to learn to use ships to be more useful. And boy do they make a difference in Walker Assault when you learn them, not only for killing the ATs faster but also for helping the foot soldiers taking down STs. When you were still rocking the X-Wing in the 3rd round of Hoth Assault you felt badass :p

I hope ships aren't overcamped...

Yoday

Didn't know Fighter Squadron had AI enemies. So it's 20 vs 20 players + AI or the AI is just for filling a team that doesn't have 20 players?

Btw, I loved using ships in the beta.
Gotta be honest sometimes I felt a little useless as a foot soldier because IMO the health is a little low for my taste (you die really fast), so I tried to learn to use ships to be more useful. And boy do they make a difference in Walker Assault when you learn them, not only for killing the ATs faster but also for helping the foot soldiers taking down STs. When you were still rocking the X-Wing in the 3rd round of Hoth Assault you felt badass :p

I hope ships aren't overcamped...
I believe it is AI on top of the max player count, but don't quote me on that. AI die much faster, they are worth less points, and you don't get a red name in your log when you kill them.

Theorry

Think i am not gonna get it. It plays nice but after 9 hours of play i still have to remind that i am playing the full game. Whole time i think when that same map appears oh its a beta. Oh wait it isnt and i am playing the whole game. The 4 maps for Walker Assault and Supremacy really bugs me. 11 weapons is decent. Could be better but the variation comes from the star cards also. Levelcap is fine also and they are combined with unlocks wich is good.

I dont like also that the skillgap isnt that large and that there is to much grenade spam right now with two grenades you can spam wich are on a 13 second cooltime.

But overall i have the feeling the game is missing something and maybe its still abit rushed because it needs to come out now because of Star Wars. Back in the day DICE would have released a unstable game with tons of content. Now its the otherway arround. Wich is positive and negative offcourse. But if its wasnt Star Wars and a new movie coming out i am sure they would have delayed it Q1 2016.

I live in Europe. If I buy the game from the NA store on PS4, will I have problems with matchmaking? Does it mean it will set me up with servers from NA or EU?

I have a couple of days off next week and I want to get the game as early as possible. If you guys have any info on this, please advise.

Guys? Anyone?

Graphics are lackluster on Xbox one.

I played the beta on PS4 and it was stunning. What happened?

I played the beta on both and the PS4 version both looked better and played smoother. I play all my online games on Xbox but I pre-ordered this one on PS4. Between the differences I saw in the beta versions and the fact that Hardline looked like a 360 game on my One in all it's 720p glory, I think it's safe to say the PS4 version is going to be the way to go if you have the option.

Also, after the stutter fest that is COD BLOPS III on XBO, I'm pretty much done with getting XBO versions of games unless I know ahead of time that it runs at least the same as the PS4 version. That was the worst performance I've ever experienced in a Call of Duty campaign by far, it was atrocious.

def sim

I have four hours left on EA Access and I don't know if I'm even going to use it up. It's a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth after all the games I've played. If the 40v40 modes had, at least, two more maps then maybe it wouldn't? Eh I don't know.

Theorry

I played the beta on both and the PS4 version both looked better and played smoother. I play all my online games on Xbox but I pre-ordered this one on PS4. Between the differences I saw in the beta versions and the fact that Hardline looked like a 360 game on my One in all it's 720p glory, I think it's safe to say the PS4 version is going to be the way to go if you have the option.

Also, after the stutter fest that is COD BLOPS III on XBO, I'm pretty much done with getting XBO versions of games unless I know ahead of time that it runs at least the same as the PS4 version. That was the worst performance I've ever experienced in a Call of Duty campaign by far, it was atrocious.

BLOPS is terrible on PS also. Stopped me playing it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well finally placed an order. Decided to just go with bestbuy.com (20% off GCU plus $10 in rewards PLUS a free Star wars Funko POP -- I chose Boba Fett). Thankfully Best Buy carries the PC physical version.

I'll pick up the Season Pass next year if it turns out to be worth it.

Turkoop

Banned
Well finally placed an order. Decided to just go with bestbuy.com (20% off GCU plus $10 in rewards PLUS a free Star wars Funko POP -- I chose Boba Fett). Thankfully Best Buy carries the PC physical version.

BF4 & BF3 season passes were great, a lot of new stuff and maps. I'm sure Battlefront will be better

I've asked this before and didn't get an answer. I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I'll ask again. Is the multiplayer region locked? Like can I party up and play with people in Europe with a US account on PS4? Again, it probably isn't but better safe than sorry.

Turkoop

Banned
I've asked this before and didn't get an answer. I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I'll ask again. Is the multiplayer region locked? Like can I party up and play with people in Europe with a US account on PS4? Again, it probably isn't but better safe than sorry.

Sorry I dunno, DICE doesn't post any news about this

Wil348

It's not region locked. Proof: UK friends bought Battlefield 4 on their U.S account and multiplayer works fine.

It's not region lock. I played the game on my US account using the Asia version of the game. And I can play with my friend who using the Asia account.

PS. Not Europe relate but hope this help.

I have three hours left on the trial and while I've enjoyed most of it, I'm finding it has started to become boring. I'll still get the game but it'll be a game I go to relax with.

Nodnol

I've been dipping in and out in between exploring the wasteland on Fallout 4.

Got to around level 6.

Have they tweaked the aiming? First person feels far more advantageous than it did in the Beta. I played the Beta pretty much exclusively in third person, because there were no downsides at all. For whatever reason, it doesn't feel as accurate.

Ferr986

I believe it is AI on top of the max player count, but don't quote me on that. AI die much faster, they are worth less points, and you don't get a red name in your log when you kill them.

That sounds rather nice. Give more chaotic feel and yet more opportunities to shoot down ships if you're still not good enough.

Wil348

I have three hours left on the trial and while I've enjoyed most of it, I'm finding it has started to become boring. I'll still get the game but it'll be a game I go to relax with.

I think this is basically the same way I will approach it. It definitely doesn't seem to have the legs or depth to replace, say, Destiny for me but it will still be something nice to play in between and for when I feel like doing something Star Wars related.

prag16

Banned
I'm assuming nobody has gotten a GMG key yet?

If it's launch day, I hope it's there early enough to start the download before I got to work. I don't want to have to wait a few hours for the download to complete after I get home. :(

Anybody have experience with them with launch day keys from them? Do they get it out early/morning or does it vary?

moai

Servers are region locked at least for southamerica.

TheFuzz

Thanks for the heads up about the Funko POP. I cancelled my other pre-order and added this to it since it was free. Didn't know about it until you mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom