• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally would have loved additional unit armors that didn't just boil down to fatter stormtrooper #2 versus slightly thinner stormtrooper with captain stubbins mustache. They could have done some cool race specific stuff and even if they didn't want to branch out and fool around with extended stuff you still have a plethora of helmets for customization not in the game, and armors as well all based on various factions we know exist even in Disney's new version. In fact it would have been a great way to introduce some stuff. I mean even rebels colors would have been cool as hell.
I agree btw, I just think that it's something that they added that wasn't really necessary and would always be critized, as in, it would never have enough stuff for everyone. I'm personally hoping that in the future we get that badass chrome stormtrooper armor from Episode VII.

Karak

I agree btw, I just think that it's something that they added that wasn't really necessary and would always be critized, as in, it would never have enough stuff for everyone. I'm personally hoping that in the future we get that badass chrome stormtrooper armor from Episode VII.

Yep agreed actually.

zedge

Right I get that I was simply saying that I personally didn't but I truly can see in various areas how it could be.
A smart reviewer though, or any gamer for that fact, would really need to explain those comparisons to make sure they are somewhat grounded. Sadly if it does happen, as you said, I don't have a lot of confidence that will happen.

With over 150 subtypes, exotic type uniforms, racial uniforms, and special unit items, and just looking at the main movies another maybe 50-100 uniforms added to that there is a absolute boatload of content they could have added. That could also extend to cool stuff like the maverick stuff, the solo items, the special character unit items, and other subtype stuff just in the movies and the books that Disney states are still considered cannon. Weapons wise there is probably 10x20 times the number that could be added but that would be overkill. Alternative skins for different terrain would rock as well. Even if they made very little change to the actual weapons damage.
Delta Force style changeups would have been cool especially for the Rebels.

That just seems like overkill to me. I have put probably 400+ hrs into BF4 and changed my loadouts maybe once or twice. All the customization of weapons were just too much imo. Same goes for COD. I'm honestly happy that this is not part of battlefront. I understand if people are disappointed by this however.

Karak

That just seems like overkill to me. I have put probably 400+ hrs into BF4 and changed my loadouts maybe once or twice. All the customization of weapons were just too much imo. Same goes for COD. I'm honestly happy that this is not part of battlefront. I understand if people are disappointed by this however.
Well if you switched in BF4 2-3 times total. So ya for you I could totally see that as overkill. I personally just think there is a middle ground instead of almost no ground lol. Which it feels like we have right now.
I personally think more options are good for this title. Let people ignore them. But if you have a system in place...you should flesh it out a bit at least.

zedge

Well if you switched in BF4 2-3 times total. So ya for you I could totally see that as overkill. I personally just think there is a middle ground instead of almost no ground lol. Which it feels like we have right now.
I personally think options are good. Let people ignore them. But if you have a system in place...you should flesh it out a bit at least.

Heh, understood. :)

BBboy20

This is so fucking awesome.
Having people type in "FUCK YOU VADER" alone would make people buy the PC version.

IMO a campaign should be a good single player story, and DICE are capable, as Bad Company 2 was pretty good. What if CoD 4 just had an instant action mode instead of a campaign?

Battlefront 2 had a decent amount of SP content, but it was just the multiplayer mode with bots. Maybe some people are happy with that but I would rather just play the actual multiplayer.
DICE admits they have no idea how they did Bad Compnay so I have no idea what they think anymore.

Karak

Also back on track for a second. Did ANYONE but me have issues with the friggen ATST's in Endor. Getting caught on everything like a damn magnet. Its insane. Had trees fall around me and stop me from moving so many times. Killed my soul a bit.

zedge

And FYI. I feel that anyone who spent that much time in BF4 knows what the fuck they are talking about. e.g. you. Thats insanely cool.

:lol And I still play it. That's split between Xbox One, PS4, and some on PC. I have premium on Xbox and PS4. Close to $300 bucks invested in that game haha. Worth every penny though considering.

Also back on track for a second. Did ANYONE but me have issues with the friggen ATST's in Endor. Getting caught on everything like a damn magnet. Its insane. Had trees fall around me and stop me from moving so many times. Killed my soul a bit.

I had that issue just being on foot, a bit frustrating at times. Never had the AT ST on Endor during my trial though.

AngryCentaurGaming's review is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNLRuhZbDjA

Summary: great presentation, performance and visuals, but shallow gameplay, low content and disappointing customization.
Interesting, though not unsurprising, take. I didn't play the beta but many of the issues seemed apparent just in the videos I watched. Still, I'm undecided though leaning towards a wait for sale.

Just as an aside, was I the only one who thought all the "comedic" one-liners/quips in the video were painfully unfunny? I really wish the review script had just been straight. At times, I found it difficult to get through because the humor just didn't come across for me at all to the point that it was literally driving me away.

Karak

Interwting, though not unsurprising, take. I didn't play the beta but many of the issues seemed apparent just in the videos I watched. Still, I'm undecided though leaning towards a wait for sale.

Just as an aside, was I the only one who thought all the "comedic" one-liners/quips in the video were painfully unfunny? I really wish the review script had just been straight. At times, I found it difficult to get through because the humor just didn't come across for me at all to the point that it was literally driving me away.

I get that. My own family hates the way I talk lol. Sadly straight I didn't get any, I mean ANY continued views. People dumped it instantly. Started talking the way I do during podcasts and real life and people seemed to enjoy it. Not you lol. But people.

I had that issue just being on foot, a bit frustrating at times. Never had the AT ST on Endor during my trial though.
Gotcha. Ya Endor and the lack of the ability to parkour around can be bothersome.

I get that. My own family hates the way I talk lol.
Just to be clear, it wasn't the way you talked per se, just those jokes. When you stuck to the content of your review, it was great. Maybe you could A/B test your next review, one with and one without the jokes and see how it turns out.

EDIT: Missed your edit. I guess your audience has spoken! Carry on, then. ;)

Jobbs

Banned
How does customization work? Do you customize both a rebel character and an imperial character?

Can you affirmatively choose your species, or does it randomly pick one in a given match?

Karak

Just to be clear, it wasn't the way you talked per se, just those jokes. When you stuck to the content of your review, it was great. Maybe you could A/B test your next review, one with and one without the jokes and see how it turns out.

ya already did it a couple times. Fairly absolutely. I think of 1000 watching like 3% finished the scripted version while about 75% continued all the way through my version.

Funny enough I have to basically wait until I am almost asleep to do podcasts. Lets just say I am a fairly energetic person.

How does customization work? Do you customize both a rebel character and an imperial character?

Can you affirmatively choose your species, or does it randomly pick one in a given match?

You do. You can choose some species yes in the customization.

Bsigg12

You have to get to a specific level then spend points to unlock a different version of a head. Different species for the Rebels don't unlock until level 40.

Karak

You have to get to a specific level then spend points to unlock a different version of a head. Different species for the Rebels don't unlock until level 40.

This also sort of bothered me. I am not sure why they made that a 40th level unlock.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Agreed. They also have to work within the confines of the license. There is probably certain things they were and were not allowed to do and get signed off on.

I seen licensing limitations of things they were allowed to add on not add first hand with MLB and MLBPA over at SCEA San Diego Studios.

Dumb question, is it worth paying 10 bucks now to get the deluxe edition features on PSN? already pre-ordered the standard edition.

If your standard edition is the physical disk, personally I got the Deluxe for the box art alone. The other perks were just instant unlock of a few items without having to wait until that level is reached, as well as two emotes. So that value is subjective.

DOWN

Banned
Dumb question, is it worth paying 10 bucks now to get the deluxe edition features on PSN? already pre-ordered the standard edition.

Absolutely not. Deluxe edition only adds two (useless) emotes. The rest of its offerings are unlockable without paying extra.

Bsigg12

Endor is very heavily skewed to the Rebels side on Walker Assault. It is such a pain in the ass to make it to that first set of uplinks.

I have the Xbone trial and a PS4 pre order. If I were to switch my pre order from the PS4 version to the Xbone one, would my trial save carry over even though I'm using a disc?

I have the Xbone trial and a PS4 pre order. If I were to switch my pre order from the PS4 version to the Xbone one, would my trial save carry over even though I'm using a disc?

Yes, you're playing the final game, so unless DICE decides to do a stat wipe tomorrow (I'd say very unlikely) then you'll still have your stats and progress.

DOWN

Banned
Why would you do that?

Anyway, as far as I know, saves work across both disc and digital

Best match ever. Lol

12244261_10201257180427444_3354489779655024363_o.jpg

MechDX

Yes. Don't have to reinstall either. The disc just has to be inserted each time you want to play.

Shallow gameplay and simplistic gameplay will pretty much be synonomous for this game. I usually play competitive halo and COD and this game is pure casual bliss. A much more SIMPLE shooter that I can play when I'm drunk or stoned and we haven't had one of these in a really long time.

FinKL

Can someone elaborate on the cooperative multiplayer modes? I see in the OP there are multiple online modes (which say no bots) but also missions that are coop. What's the player count on "Battles/Missions"

ugh I'm really kinda tempted to pick up Battlefront just from the Star Wars hype of late

I don't really play MP games though :-/
This game is made for you! In fact the rest of us are suffering so that people like yourself can enjoy it lol :)

But seriously, this is a game that's targeting Star Wars fans before hardcore gamers.

Machina

Banned
So despite advertising the 17th as the release date on their website, I just found out from GMG that I won't be getting my code until the 19th.

Welp, that's the last time I buy a new release from them. Not happy. I'm lucky I have Fallout 4 to tide me over otherwise I'd be majorly pissed.

Will this be unlockable early via the VPN trick that people used on Fallout 4 - or is that exclusively a Steam trick?

It should work just like with the beta. Just use a Korean vpn address. This is what shows up when i launch origin. I'm in the west coast of the U.S. if that matters.

I might get an hour or two in before work if it all pans out.

iPG6PPY.png

derFeef

Thanks for posting it.
Basically I just can't recommend it as a buy right now. I loved it...but funfactor just dumped after while. It won't be the same way for everyone.

Great review as always. I think this will be a great game for short bursts, exactly what I need right now. I do not feel guilty for buying the ultimate version during my trip to mexiko ;) for 75€ ...

Pez

I was really looking forward to this game next week, but I think EA did themselves a disservice by allowing up to 10 hours in the trial.

I have 4 hours left and I've had my fill of the game for now. It's fantastic, but I'll grab it later down the line when the game is cheaper and has more content/DLC.

Durden77

It's going to be a hard desicion on whether or not to buy this tomorrow night or not. I really want it so bad, but I've also still got plenty of Black Ops and I'm not sure the game is quite worth the 60 bucks right now.

I WILL buy it though, so it just depends on how long I can wait. What are the EA Access peeps thinking of it so far?

Impulsor

Yep agreed actually.

I'm gonna guess that it would be a hero, since there is only ONE chrometrooper, and its a "named" character.

So maybe a hero? I doub't we're getting the whole armor though for regular troopers. Maybe the new movie armor types, but not the chrome trooper one.

desu

It should work just like with the beta. Just use a Korean vpn address. This is what shows up when i launch origin. I'm in the west coast of the U.S. if that matters.

Do you only need to activate it once and its activated permanently or will it check every time you start Origin?

From my 20 hours Battlefront, i can tell that you will be happy. I have 2 Loadouts, but i mainly just use one. And my favorit allrounder Weapon is the E-11.

Bsigg12

Just had a bug where I got ejected out of my TIE Interceptor and landed on top of the mountain thing on Hoth. The issue here is there's an invisible wall I couldnt go through to get back down. Oh and I was invincible. I tried blowing myself up to respawn but it did no damage.

I tried pressing the restart button but once the timer to respawn was up it would just put me back in the same spot. My partner spawned on me and was stuck there too. Good thing it was at the end if the match.

I've also had a pretty consistent issue of after using something like a orbital strike or ion torpedo Launcher, the UI when aiming those weapons stays with me until I die so everytime after firing the weapon, when using a normal blaster, I see the wrong UI. It kinda sucks because the filters they use on those scopes make it annoying to just be aiming a blaster.

Shallow gameplay and simplistic gameplay will pretty much be synonomous for this game. I usually play competitive halo and COD and this game is pure casual bliss. A much more SIMPLE shooter that I can play when I'm drunk or stoned and we haven't had one of these in a really long time.

Shallow gameplay like aka every shooter where you have to kill other players?

And a simple/arcady shooter is refreshing in this day and age. For me, Halo 5 was way too one sided. No Social Lists, everything is Ranked, not a lot gametypes etc etc. CoD on the other hand offers stuff for everyone. Casual to super competive.

Yes Battlefront is maybe too easy for some of you, but i can tell you if you are a good player you can dominate. There is still some skill gap. Ive had rounds of Walker Assault where half of my team was in negative up to -20...

For some its easy, for other not so. Casuals will still get destroyed in battlefront.

I've also had a pretty consistent issue of after using something like a orbital strike or ion torpedo Launcher, the UI when aiming those weapons stays with me until I die so everytime after firing the weapon, when using a normal blaster, I see the wrong UI. If kinda sucks because the filters they use on those scopes make it annoying to just be aiming a blaster.

Yep noticed this Bug too.

iPG6PPY.png

How exactly does this work? Do I just use a VPN address and it automatically unlocks like so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom