• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewydogg

The next 30 or so hours will be spent tracking my game's journey from Best Buy to my mailbox. I played a little of the beta. Enough to know this game is for me, a huge Star Wars fan. I've only played two games in the past year (Destiny and Witcher), so I'm ready for something else.

Add me if you want:

PSN AdamKoy

Thanks for linking. I encourage everyone to give this a read and not just what Gossi quoted as it makes it seem much more negative than it actually is. In fact the writer aknowledges just how refreshing this level of minimalism is in the game, although he notes it's a gamble since it may not appease the COD/BF audiences who have come to expect so much depth in movement, gunplay and customization.

Star Wars Battlefront feels like a return to the GoldenEye era

I'm cherry picking from the opposite side, but it's what is important to me and I expect many of you looking forward to this game.

For the first dozen hours of EA's Battlefront, it's an approach that works wonders. Light and frothy like its cinematic inspiration, this is all about spectacle and gentle heroism. And what a spectacle it can be: laying on a merry dance in the Millennium Falcon as you pirouette through swarms of the Empire's ships in Fighter Squadron, seeing the fresh snow on Hoth sparkle in the sun as AT-ATs slowly stomp their way through in Walker Assault, or hearing the beautiful orchestra of blaster rifle fire echo around the halls of an Imperial Base in a game of Blast on Sullust. DICE's artists haven't just captured the look and feel of the series; they've managed to capture the wide-eyed innocence that's at the heart of it all.

There's the same naive charm at the core of Battlefront, too. Gunplay is stripped down to a brutal degree, until you're left with a shooter that feels like it came from that more innocent time before the miserable Star Wars prequels. That's not a bad thing at all: after the escalating demands on player's time and dexterity made by modern shooters, how refreshing it is to play something that's got more in common with GoldenEye than Call of Duty. Indeed, Star Wars Battlefront can be brutal in its simplicity.

This is why I think I'm really going to enjoy this.

GeeTeeCee

Honestly, I'm perfectly happy with a "casual" shooter. While I like both CoD and Battlefield, I usually don't dedicate huge amounts of time to most multiplayer games. It's rare that I'll play more more than a couple of hours of Battlefield 4 in a month, for example.

Battlefront sounds like it'll suit my pick up and play multiplayer tendencies, where I can dip in and out of the game every so often without worrying that the next time I turn it on I'll find myself thoroughly outclassed by other players.

On ps4 are the only split screen modes offline like in the beta? I'd buy it if I could bring a couch friend into some fun online battles but you couldn't do that in beta.

gossi

On ps4 are the only split screen modes offline like in the beta? I'd buy it if I could bring a couch friend into some fun online battles but you couldn't do that in beta.

As far as I know, couple co-op doesn't work online. If it does, I couldn't figure out how.

Philippo

Thanks for linking. I encourage everyone to give this a read and not just what Gossi quoted as it makes it seem much more negative than it actually is. In fact the writer a knowledges just how refreshing this level of minimalism is in the game, although he notes it's a gamble since it may not appease the COD/BF audiences who have come to expect so much depth in movement, gunplay and customization.

Star Wars Battlefront feels like a return to the GoldenEye era

I'm cherry picking from the opposite side, but it's what is important to me and I expect many of you looking forward to this game.

This is why I think I'm really going to enjoy this.

Yup.
I personally don't need a deep and time consuming shooter, this will be the perfect game to play for 30min-1hr every 2-3 days as a break from the other game i'm playing, which are usually lenghty RPGs (like FO4).

b0bbyJ03

Can someone create an ID/gamer tag exchange thread for this game? I remember it was done for BF4 back in the day. I'm new to PC and wanna party up with some people and I'll also be playing this on PS4 all the time.

My bad. I wasn't trying to pick out perceived negative elements - I though most of that was actually positive.

Sorry, I didnt really mean to make it sound like you were either. I just think it's a really well written article and captures my feelings about the game exquisitely. I was just worried from what you quoted people might just skip the read because they assumed it was just denigrating its lack of appeal to the modern "fps player". When the writer while aknowledging it's problems, really applauds it for its step back and simplicity in many ways.

gossi

Sorry, I didnt really mean to make it sound like you were either. I just think it's a really well written article and captures my feelings about the game exquisitely. I was just worried from what you quoted people might just skip the read because they assumed it was just denigrating its lack of appeal to the modern "fps player". When the writer while aknowledging it's problems really applauds it for its step back and simplicity in many ways.

No worries. My take is very similar to theirs. Frankly, I've got every Call of Duty game (and Battlefield game) (and Destiny) (and Titanfall) already. So anything which is a bit actually different and change of pace is good for me. I still think the PC gamers will probably move back to Battlefield 4 as it's not 'hardcore' enough, but again that's fine - there's more than enough market for these shooters.

I do think the review scores will suffer over lack of content issues... but again, I don't worry about review scores.

No worries. My take is very similar to theirs. Frankly, I've got every Call of Duty game (and Battlefield game) (and Destiny) (and Titanfall) already. So anything which is a bit actually different and change of pace is good for me. I still think the PC gamers will probably move back to Battlefield 4 as it's not 'hardcore' enough, but again that's fine - there's more than enough market for these shooters.

I do think the review scores will suffer over lack of content issues... but again, I don't worry about review scores.

Honestly I don't think the majority of people on PC are as hardcore as people make them out to be. I'm a primarily PC gamer and what I notice is people tend to prefer PC as a platform when they can just have a very wide variety of titles. Indies thrive on PC like no other because PC players want something different than the standard AAA titles nowadays. Really hard core people will go play ArmA or on the flipside CS:GO. But I'm guessing this will still find a massive home amongst PC players.

As far as reviews that's why I hate review scores. I wish more reviewers took the Kotaku Yes/Yes if. No/No if. Approach. Reviews are opinions, not objective like people seem to believe is even possible. I stick with a few reviewers whom opinions tend to mirror my own and stick to that. Metacritic can screw right off.

Dibils2k

i am still way inside my 10 hours but.. i am already bored tbh

not much depth there in the gameplay and there isnt really anything interesting to unlock. once the star wars shine wears off its very basic game

MDave

Would just like to point out something in the OP which by the way is excellent!

STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT II
PS2 | Xbox | PC | PSP

That version is missing in the OP, and it was a pretty well done port of the PS2 game! Had bots and all the maps too.

thanks for the replies. just wondering if i can hold out for a price drop in that case. feeling weak minded though.

My guess would be you might see it drop after the full first season pass content has been released. Thus giving you the game and hoping you shell out for the DLC if they hook you.

So 8-12 months? Honestly the question you should ask yourself is do you think you'll get more than 50 or 60 hours of enjoyment out of this? If so, I'd just buy it. If not then wait.

Played more yesterday and ended up feeling a bit better about this. As the eurogamer article says, attaching the Battlefront name to this was not necessarily a good idea. It's much slower, has way less vehicles, and lacks bots which makes it a very different game and just not what I was expecting when I first played it. Having said that, once I switched to third person camera I did enjoy it. Still probably not going to get it but I'll look forward to get it added to the EA Access vault.

Liamc723

My guess would be you might see it drop after the full first season pass content has been released. Thus giving you the game and hoping you shell out for the DLC if they hook you.

So 8-12 months? Honestly the question you should ask yourself is do you think you'll get more than 50 or 60 hours of enjoyment out of this? If so, I'd just buy it. If not then wait.

8-12 months!? Haha what? The game will drop in price WAY before then.

8bit

Knows the Score
Been playing this on X1 thanks to ea access. I really like it. I just hope the other game modes get populated on launch. I cant even get into a match of fighter squadron :(

That's pretty much all I've been playing. Loving chasing down the Falcon with a TIE Fighter.

prag16

Banned
Hi prag16,

There’s been a disturbance in the force.

We know that Star Wars Battlefront is one of the most anticipated titles to be released this month, and we have seen an unprecedented demand from you; so much so that we have already exhausted our current stock of keys. This is an oversight on our part, and for that we are sincerely sorry.

What does this mean?

More keys are on their way to us, but the disappointing news is that some of your orders will only be fulfilled after release date. We are working with more distributors than ever to ensure that every single person who ordered Star Wars Battlefront will get their order within 48 hours of release. Many thousands of you will not be affected, but for those of you who might be, we apologise in advance.

Our guarantee:

We guarantee that every single person who has bought a copy of Star Wars Battlefront from us and receives this email will have their orders fulfilled and keys delivered before the end of THURSDAY 19TH NOVEMBER. Some of you will receive your key immediately, some a little later, but ALL orders will be fulfilled as promised.

We apologise for the inconvenience to you, so by our way of saying thanks for your patience and support, we would like to offer you a 30% off site-wide voucher, which will be delivered after we have fulfilled your order.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding.

BOO THIS (GREEN) MAN.

I ordered way back in August. How could they not have enough for that if they go first come first served. Sons of bitches. Anybody else get this email?

I'm gonna guess that it would be a hero, since there is only ONE chrometrooper, and its a "named" character.

So maybe a hero? I doub't we're getting the whole armor though for regular troopers. Maybe the new movie armor types, but not the chrome trooper one.

Yea, it would make more sense, I just love that armor.

desu

BOO THIS (GREEN) MAN.

I ordered way back in August. How could they not have enough for that if they go first come first served. Sons of bitches. Anybody else get this email?

For EA games there really is not reason to buy other than at Origin Mexico (imho). Stuff like that just happens all the time everywhere =/.

prag16

Banned
For EA games there really is not reason to buy other than at Origin Mexico (imho). Stuff like that just happens all the time everywhere =/.
I heard about this method. Once it's on your account there's no locking or anything? Having to connect to origin over vpn every time I want to play would obviously be a deal breaker.

desu

I heard about this method. Once it's on your account there's no locking or anything? Having to connect to origin over vpn every time I want to play would obviously be a deal breaker.

You only ever use the VPN to put the game into you basket (and access the mexican Origin website), other than its like you bought the thing on your local Origin website, this also allows you to preload instantly (I did so last weekend already). And the price is probably cheaper than all other places.

You only ever use the VPN to put the game into you basket (and access the mexican Origin website), other than its like you bought the thing on your local Origin website, this also allows you to preload instantly (I did so last weekend already). And the price is probably cheaper than all other places.

Yea it's like Desu says. You use the VPN to open the Mexican store and place it in your cart. Then you drop the VPN and go back to your normal IP and check out.

Ferr986

zozTa6.gif

holy shit!

Machina

Banned
Welp, that's the last time I buy from GMG. They've had 12 months to prepare for this games release and then a few hours before launch, they tell us they can't give us what we bought.

Welp, that's the last time I buy from GMG. They've had 12 months to prepare for this games release and then a few hours before launch, they tell us they can't give us what we bought.

IMO, it seems that they were hoping to get more game keys/serial #'s from EA after their initial allotment of keys/serial #'s were gone. Seems GMG goofed up big time.

Not sure why these 3rd party online game sellers, like GMG, just stop the pre-orders once their allotment of keys are gone.

MADGAME

If Jakku DLC is available by changing the date, that means it is part of the file/disk available on release. Why gate content for only 2 weeks, other than the illusion you're giving away free DLC?

I'm excited for the content and not bashing DICE, just wondering (directed toward the 2-3 people in this thread that feel compelled to reply to every comment not favorable to the game, and feel opinions differing from their own are simply wrong).

If Jakku DLC is available by changing the date, that means it is part of the file/disk available on release. Why gate content for only 2 weeks, other than the illusion you're giving away free DLC?

I'm excited for the content and not bashing DICE, just wondering (directed toward the 2-3 people in this thread that feel compelled to reply to every comment not favorable to the game, and feel opinions differing from their own are simply wrong).

Are people playing Jakku already?

I think the reason it is being held back may have more to do with a Disney marketing/release schedule for Force Awakens content than EA shenanigans. Though the fact that they let you play it early with a preorder is shenanigans.

I think the content was always meant to be part of the main game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom