• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spy

I wonder what happens once you reach the max level. Any time of prestige or anything to keep you playing (other than just fun)?

I wonder what happens once you reach the max level. Any time of prestige or anything to keep you playing (other than just fun)?

DICE tend to bump the ranks up every time DLC drops.

I really really hope a phantom programme exists for Battlefront.

Shady859

Well finally placed an order. Decided to just go with bestbuy.com (20% off GCU plus $10 in rewards PLUS a free Star wars Funko POP -- I chose Boba Fett). Thankfully Best Buy carries the PC physical version.

I'll pick up the Season Pass next year if it turns out to be worth it.

Was checking to see if this got posted in the thread, Best Buy is killing these game deals. :) (Only Chewbacca and Stormtroopers left)

Cancelled my earlier order and grabbed this one with Chewy figure for same price. Zero hype at all for the game as the beta got old but these GCU deals are free rentals if full the game doesn't hook you.

Shoeless

Really wish there was a AAA Star Wars game RPG or Mass Effect-like game. :(

I keep telling myself that since EA is doing Star Wars games and since they own BioWare, and since BioWare did both KOTOR and Mass Effect, this is probably something that's brewing. It just seems like walking away from money if they don't.

RedAssedApe

Banned
star wars hype has taken over despite the concerns about content

Heres-Sonys-Shahid-Ahmad-literally-throwing-money-at-the-screen.gif

DOWN

Banned
For real though I can already predict that I will one day need to make a whole thread for the Endor visual quality alone as a tribute to Frostbite and the tech wizards at DICE

ryseing

star wars hype has taken over despite the concerns about content

Heres-Sonys-Shahid-Ahmad-literally-throwing-money-at-the-screen.gif

Yeah that launch trailer got me.

I'll get 20-30 hours out of this pre Season Pass and enjoy every bit of it I'm sure.

It also had certain set ups not present anywhere else. Order 66 clones verse Jedi on Coruscant, Imperial Stormtroopers taking out the remnants of the Clone army on Kamino, and more.

Yeah, despite being a reskinned MP mode Battlefront 2 had some cool stuff in the SP. There were also fights between the two trilogies set on Naboo and Mustafar IIRC. That Kamino battle was a standout.

Boke1879

Thinking the mc rating wil be 75 or a bit higher. Already got it pre ordered tho.

Unless the game is broken as hell. Scores for this won't matter really at all. People on the fence will stay there, People who loved the beta will pick it up day one and people who are interested in it will check it out.

Played the beta and loved it and my friends who I play MP games with love it as well. It's a game we can screw around in for a few times a week.

GravyButt

Really glad I preordered this. Enjoying the ea access trial. Glad ive rationed it and have just enough to get a few games in tomorrow to control my hype.

AngryCentaurGaming's review is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNLRuhZbDjA

Summary: great presentation, performance and visuals, but shallow gameplay, low content and disappointing customization.

Haven't watched the review but from your summary, I think this game will be unfairly compared to COD black ops III, which is unfortunate.

If all reviewers are going to compare SWB to COD, then there's no point reading them as this game isn't supposed to be like COD.

Karak

Summary: great presentation, performance and visuals, but shallow gameplay, low content and disappointing customization.

Thanks for posting it.
Basically I just can't recommend it as a buy right now. I loved it...but funfactor just dumped after while. It won't be the same way for everyone.

Haven't watched the review but from your summary, I think this game will be unfairly compared to COD black ops III, which is unfortunate.

If all reviewers are going to compare SWB to COD, then there's no point reading them as this game isn't supposed to be like COD.

To me personally that would be a fairly odd comparison. I guess I can see it in some ways but not all.

To me personally that would be a fairly odd comparison. I guess I can see it in some ways but not all.

Not really, If its a FPS shooter, all reviewers will compare it to COD since its the biggest FPS game at the moment all on consoles. Which I hate when they do that as every game is different.

When it comes to star wars games, I wanted it to be to the Star Wars world. Not made up crap for customization or story/campaign (I know there is none btw) sake.

If that means less ways to customize my character or not a lot of maps or game modes at the beginning, fine.

I knew when I pre-ordered this game back in the summer that the review would be sub 90 or even below 80 out of a 100. But know what, I don't care as its star wars and I get to experience awesome battles in key words like Hoth & Endor.

Roussow

I don't get the customization complaints. Do we want stormtroopers and rebel soldiers running around with zebra and leopard skins on their blasters and rifles? Nothing screams star wars more than that.... yeesh

I'm going to appreciate that coming from Black Ops 3 and seeing the most garish neon-green animated weapon-skins. I'm happy that they've included many different races -- that's an appreciated detail for sure, especially considering how damn good those character models are.

Bsigg12

I don't get the customization complaints. Do we want stormtroopers and rebel soldiers running around with zebra and leopard skins on their blasters and rifles? Nothing screams star wars more than that.... yeesh

I think even just basic suits or armor would be a welcome addition. Not getting to access the Scout Trooper or Shadow Trooper looks until levels 40 and 50 respectively kinda sucks.

Karak

Not really, If its a FPS shooter, all reviewers will compare it to COD since its the biggest FPS game at the moment all on consoles. Which I hate when they do that as every game is different.

When it comes to star wars games, I wanted it to be to the Star Wars world. Not made up crap for customization or story/campaign (I know there is none btw) sake.

If that means less ways to customize my character or not a lot of maps or game modes at the beginning, fine.

I knew when I pre-ordered this game back in the summer that the review would be sub 90 or even below 80 out of a 100. But know what, I don't care as its star wars and I get to experience awesome battles in key words like Hoth & Endor.

Not really...what?

I think if we remove the hyperbole of tiger stripes comments, anyone can see there are a vast number of customization that can or could be added to increase the customization that is incredibly lean here. That might include adjusting the levels of unlocks for some items as well.

In line with what some of my friends think the game will be after playing the BETA. Me and a couple of others though had so much fun in a single map that we can't see how we would not love more of it.

It's a nice review and about the customization bit, I don't even know why they added it tbh, it wasn't needed. I guess they could give us helmets/armor with colored stripes like Clone Wars, but then it wouldn't make much sense even if it'd be nicer than helmetless troopers I guess. Still, I feel this is a thing that will get critized a lot and if DICE didn't even include it people wouldn't give a crap.

Karak

I think he is saying not really an odd comparison

Right but I said that in some ways it could be. So...it still doesn't make sense lol. Shrugs.
In line with what some of my friends think the game will be after playing the BETA. Me and a couple of others though had so much fun in a single map that we can't see how we would not love more of it.

It's a nice review and about the customization bit, I don't even know why they added it tbh, it wasn't needed. I guess they could give us helmets/armor with colored stripes like Clone Wars, but then it wouldn't make much sense even if it'd be nicer than helmetless troopers I guess. Still, I feel this is a thing that will get critized a lot and if DICE didn't even include it people wouldn't give a crap.
Personally would have loved additional unit armors that didn't just boil down to fatter stormtrooper #2 versus slightly thinner stormtrooper with captain stubbins mustache. They could have done some cool race specific stuff and even if they didn't want to branch out and fool around with extended stuff you still have a plethora of helmets for customization not in the game, and armors as well all based on various factions we know exist even in Disney's new version. In fact it would have been a great way to introduce some stuff. I mean even rebels colors would have been cool as hell.

I think even just basic suits or armor would be a welcome addition. Not getting to access the Scout Trooper or Shadow Trooper looks until levels 40 and 50 respectively kinda sucks.

Another good point about the ST and SST. Would have loved to see that more diversified.

zedge

Sure, but they are there are they not?

Are these things open immediately in other games? I'm playing Black Ops 3 and it seems I don't have access to a lot without leveling up.

Other than different looking humans and races, along with amour and outfits, I am not sure what else they could offer for customization.

Karak

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant to say is that since its a FPS MP shooter, it will be compared to Call of Duty its the latest and (to some) the greatest FPS game out on the market already.

Hope that makes sense.

Right I get that I was simply saying that I personally didn't but I truly can see in various areas how it could be.
A smart reviewer though, or any gamer for that fact, would really need to explain those comparisons to make sure they are somewhat grounded. Sadly if it does happen, as you said, I don't have a lot of confidence that will happen.

Sure, but they are there are they not?

Are these things open immediately in other games? I'm playing Black Ops 3 and it seems I don't have access to a lot without leveling up.

Other than different looking humans and the other races, I am not sure what else they could offer for customization.

With over 150 subtypes, exotic type uniforms, racial uniforms, and special unit items, and just looking at the main movies another maybe 50-100 uniforms added to that there is a absolute boatload of content they could have added. That could also extend to cool stuff like the maverick stuff, the solo items, the special character unit items, and other subtype stuff just in the movies and the books that Disney states are still considered cannon. Weapons wise there is probably 10x20 times the number that could be added but that would be overkill. Alternative skins for different terrain would rock as well. Even if they made very little change to the actual weapons damage.
Delta Force style changeups would have been cool especially for the Rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom