• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for this, it will be a nice break from CoD and Destiny and will certainly keep my Star Wars taste buds happy until The Force Awakens comes out :)

Game has also unlocked on Origin in Australia, which is surprising seeing as it releases on the 19th here for consoles. Oh well, can't complain.

prag16

Banned
Whelp, requested a refund from GMG, and got it for even cheaper from Mexican Origin. Should've done that from the get go had I known.

Anybody ever had any issues using this workaround? I'm assuming it's against the ToS?

MADGAME

You mean in this thread? They were joke posts. Haha! They were saying that simply due to people believing they can play ASAP now on PS4 by changing the system clock.

No one's playing Jakku content yet
Yes, I realize that from people who posted afterwards. The comments I read were not obvious jokes to me so I did not realize at first.

DICE DLC is very well handled in comparison to other games.

It's not really accurate to compare Battlefront Premium to Battlefield Premium at this point. They're getting away with less content in the base game and they're going to get away with less content in Premium, too.

For Battlefield, when DICE says "four new maps", you were basically guaranteed that would be four new maps for at least the main game modes (Rush, Conquest, TDM, etc.). For Battlefront, there is no such guarantee.

If the Jakku DLC gives us two new big Supremacy/WA maps, bumping the total to 6 for those modes, the vanilla game is worth it (for me). But I agree that

4 maps for the main mode is a f. joke.

4 maps in the main "big" modes is shitty.

Boba Fett OP. Really, he is the must fun Hero to play with imo.

Boba da best.

We need a community thread for this game badly. This one is already ruined by people who haven't even bought the game coming in to bash it.

Agreed. The bashing has ruined the thread.

Just because the majority of you don't want the game due to less content. Alot of us feel that the game is definitely worth it.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
When do reviews go up?

Review embargo lifts at 9pm PT today. However, I gather most (including us) will most likely push it back a day or two to test the servers in real world conditions. We obviously can't base the netcode on the review event, nor now since there's not enough players to get a match of Walker Assault (PS4) going.

We need a community thread for this game badly. This one is already ruined by people who haven't even bought the game coming in to bash it.

Just because the majority of you don't want the game due to less content. Alot of us feel that the game is definitely worth it.

I agree. Not even a community thread, but can the people who have no intention of playing/trying or caring, just not bash? It's OK to discuss, but the hate and bashing posts is seriously getting annoying. :(

I agree. Not even a community thread, but can the people who have no intention of playing/trying or caring, just not bash? It's OK to discuss, but the hate and bashing posts is seriously getting annoying. :(

Soooo you guys don't think that discussion of the value of a game isn't relevant to the game? I mean, it's not just GAF--there are a number of early impressions/reviews that feel the game is sparse on content, too.

To reiterate, it's possible to have a blast with the game AND acknowledge its level of content. Those are two factors that have to be considered when purchasing the game. I had a ton of fun in my 10 hours, but I have to think beyond NOW and consider the future--how long is this going to last?

DOWN

Banned
Soooo you guys don't think that discussion of the value of a game isn't relevant to the game? I mean, it's not just GAF--there are a number of early impressions/reviews that feel the game is sparse on content, too.

To reiterate, it's possible to have a blast with the game AND acknowledge its level of content. Those are two factors that have to be considered when purchasing the game. I had a ton of fun in my 10 hours, but I have to think beyond NOW and consider the future--how long is this going to last?
Posts yelling "this game only has 4 maps" are all too common and false

Posts yelling "this game only has 4 maps" are all too common and false

Well, let's be clear: DICE is selling the shit out of its Walker Assault mode. It's the premier mode, highlighted in almost every trailer (I believe).

It's very disappointing that there are only four maps for it and the other (I predict 2nd most) big popular mode, Supremacy.

I agree, the game has other fun modes--but I can almost guarantee you that most will die out. Having too many modes often leads to "snake eating its tail" situations where few people play all the modes, so player counts drop, so few people play all the modes, so player counts drop etc. Happened with BF3/4 and it'll happen here, too.

Which is a shame, because some of them *are* great. I fucking love Heroes vs Villains (I think they could make a standalone game out of this, with a lot more content, of course :) ), Fighter Squadron feels a step above Air Superiority, Drop Zone is a blast, etc.

Posts providing experiences and legitimate critiques of the game are totally welcome. It's the "This game has no content, not buying" "Canceled my preorder cuz this sucks" bullshit that doesn't belong in the thread. Look at any other OT; they all have posts that are both negative and positive about the game. However, none of them have idiots coming in and throwing bullshit out about the game that isn't true. There was enough of that in the threads about this game leading up to release. It shouldn't happen here. This thread is about the game and the people who have played it.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

Discussing the value is definitely not bashing. It's a subject we touch upon our review of it as well. :)

What's tiring is reading the same "LOL! Not gunna buy this since 4 maps and 20 are DLc! LOLOL!" and the repeated "X" reason for not buying it, why it fails at being a Battlefront game, why X feature in the old BFs isn't in this one, etc.

We've read the same stuff from waaay back in the beta thread to the OT. The game is certainly not for everyone, and could have used a bit more unlockables, maps, etc. But at the very least, people should explain why they don't like X, instead of just saying "LOL X Sucks!" :)

jeemer

Anton, I'm replying to your earlier point since I missed it at the weekend and it's relevant to the post you just made.

I just don't like this method of arguing, in video games or anywhere else. You're assuming that the critic has a chip on their shoulder, which gives you a free pass to ignore their criticism. It's like high-fiving yourself.

Read back - I wasn't saying /every/ critic has a chip on their shoulder, but that (from what I've seen) the majority of people who I see in this thread with one liner posts parroting these particular claims (lack of content) are doing it without any concrete evidence to back it up at this point.

The only figure I see repeatedly quoted that makes it look bad is there are "only" 4 of the large maps at launch - but that's only for two of how many different modes? It's like people have already decided they won't like the other modes. The only reason I can come up with for people feeling any of this is a true affront is due to unrealistic expectations based on previous/similar games.

I listed data to support my claim, but you don't care for the numbers. I responded to your main points, but you don't like my line of argument. I get that you personally worry there may not be enough maps, and that's fine. I get that others feel the same too. IMO those people need to think carefully about whether they want this game or not, or avoid it entirely.

However, having only 4 large maps doesn't detract from the number of other maps/modes/weapons/vehicles/other features that are verifiably present and are also definitely enough for a large number of people in this thread who are going nuts over this. Even if it is personal perspective, people coming into this thread saying the same thing over and over without anything to support their position sounds more like self high-fiving to me.

It's cool that you can select maps though, I didn't know that.

Whelp, requested a refund from GMG, and got it for even cheaper from Mexican Origin. Should've done that from the get go had I known.

Anybody ever had any issues using this workaround? I'm assuming it's against the ToS?
Going to do the same right now, can you link me to a guide on how to do the Mexican Origin thing?

MrDaravon

Well, let's be clear: DICE is selling the shit out of its Walker Assault mode. It's the premier mode, highlighted in almost every trailer (I believe).

Yup. I had two friends who almost literally flipped their shit when I told them about this; EA is out there pushing this mode hard along with the game having 12 maps. I mean obviously in Battlefield/CoD etc not every map is playable in every mode, but I do honestly think that they were pretty misleading in how they represented that here. Also I don't know anyone who comes to Battlfield-esque games for the smaller player count, and honestly I've really not liked what I've seen of most of the modes. I'm day one Gamefly'ing this instead of buying it because I'm only really interested in Supremacy, Walker Assault and maybe Blast and I have definite concerns about longevity. I would like very much to be proven wrong.

Anyway the drive by shitposting generally passes once the game has been out for a bit, and it's not like it's just this game; look at the OT for Fallout 4, Destiny, etc. Major releases rarely get unanimous praise here. It'll be rough for a while, I'd just try to ignore the obvious drive-bys, and if it's bad or the same poster or something let a mod know.

I really hope the game is better than I'm expecting after the demo and watching a bunch of the Early Access, I want to love it :/.

The game is essentially out for people that have EA Access. Lots of people played it over the weekend and are giving their opinions

Once all the people that don't like it move on you'll be left with a bunch of people that like it and are continuing to play it like any community thread.

I've never watched a STAR WARS movie and don't know much about the lore or anything (but I plan on it soon - I purchased EPISODE 7 opening weekend tickets in IMAX) but this BATTLEFRONT footage I watched on PS4 looked great!

What seems to be the general consensus on platform for this game? PC/PS4/XBONE

Posts providing experiences and legitimate critiques of the game are totally welcome. It's the "This game has no content, not buying" "Canceled my preorder cuz this sucks" bullshit that doesn't belong in the thread. Look at any other OT; they all have posts that are both negative and positive about the game. However, none of them have idiots coming in and throwing bullshit out about the game that isn't true. There was enough of that in the threads about this game leading up to release. It shouldn't happen here. This thread is about the game and the people who have played it.

What's tiring is reading the same "LOL! Not gunna buy this since 4 maps and 20 are DLc! LOLOL!" and the repeated "X" reason for not buying it, why it fails at being a Battlefront game, why X feature in the old BFs isn't in this one, etc.

That's fair enough, agreed.

Related: has anyone heard or gotten an answer from DICE re: how many new WA/Supremacy maps will be in the Jakku DLC? When will we find out?

The only figure I see repeatedly quoted that makes it look bad is there are "only" 4 of the large maps at launch - but that's only for two of how many different modes? It's like people have already decided they won't like the other modes. The only reason I can come up with for people feeling any of this is a true affront is due to unrealistic expectations based on previous/similar games.

I hear you. I think this gives some insight to that:

Yup. I had two friends who almost literally flipped their shit when I told them about this; EA is out there pushing this mode hard along with the game having 12 maps. I mean obviously in Battlefield/CoD etc not every map is playable in every mode, but I do honestly think that they were pretty misleading in how they represented that here. Also I don't know anyone who comes to Battlfield-esque games for the smaller player count, and honestly I've really not liked what I've seen of most of the modes. I'm day one Gamefly'ing this instead of buying it because I'm only really interested in Supremacy, Walker Assault and maybe Blast and I have definite concerns about longevity. I would like very much to be proven wrong.

Actually, DICE/Battlefield makes a point to say that *every* map offers every mode, with a few exceptions.

So I think when DICE is showing these legit amazing trailers where you're fighting AT-ATs across worlds and then says "12 maps!" Well, it's completely reasonable to me that people would be pissed off.

Now, I'm not saying DICE's BF3/4 approach was the best--obviously, they forced some modes on maps that really weren't designed for it. At the same time, I feel there is something disingenuous about how DICE is presenting the game, in that regard.

I agree, the shitposting needs to stop.

I've never watched a STAR WARS movie and don't know much about the lore or anything (but I plan on it soon - I purchased EPISODE 7 opening weekend tickets in IMAX) but this BATTLEFRONT footage I watched on PS4 looked great!

PC is going to look the best but you have to wonder how much the community on that platform will support this type of game. PC gamers tend to be fickle about their online shooters.

I am going with PS4.

I really hope the game is better than I'm expecting after the demo and watching a bunch of the Early Access, I want to love it :/.

I think you are going to be very disappointed.

I loved the beta and a third person shooty game is like a trip back in time to when games were just fun and amazing for me.

If you already don't like the look of it though, buying it seems daft.

Plasmid

There's no need to pm VPN instructions, we were all very open with fallout 4.

I don't have a korean IP on my VPN application, is there anywhere else i can use?

Glad EA Access gave the 10 hour trial. Definitely not a buy for me. It is fun for the first 3 hours, but then you realize it is pretty repetitive for the other 7. But hope people enjoy it tomorrow.

Is that confirmed to be the case? The other 8-9 maps are literally just cut out sections of the 4 large ones?
I can confirm at least 4 of the other maps were sections of the large map.

prag16

Banned
Kinda. There are 4 main maps. The other multiplayer maps are all just cut out from those 4 maps.

Is that confirmed to be the case? The other 8-9 maps are literally just cut out sections of the 4 large ones?

awesome, thanks

A couple guides seem more extreme than necessary. One says to put in a fake Mexican street address, etc. I didn't have to do that. Just disconnect the proxy/VPN PRIOR to entering your login credentials (add it to cart, proceed to checkout, and you will be asked to log in at that point). After that I was able to check out and pay no problem.

DOWN

Banned

EA graphical quality goes PC>PS4>Xbox One

The platform is more a preference thing, but if you are console and have the choice, PS4 for sure is the way to go. Xbox is 720p for DICE games so it is a bit harsher visually.

PC is going to look the best but you have to wonder how much the community on that platform will support this type of game. PC gamers tend to be fickle about their online shooters.

I am going with PS4.

EA graphical quality goes PC>PS4>Xbox One

The platform is more a preference thing, but if you are console and have the choice, PS4 for sure is the way to go. Xbox is 720p for DICE games so it is a bit harsher visually.

I get what you're saying. I have a more than capable rig (i7 4970k, GTX 970, 8GB RAM) but I fear the community won't be as long lasting. Especially given the days of PC map making/mods are all but gone for these kinds of games.

I'm not even sure I WANT this game. It just looks really good and I've not played a proper multiplayer game for a while now. Feeling the itch.

Well, not quite.

There are four planets, and all maps come from those planets. To my eyes, it looks like there are four big maps + four smaller maps derived from those big maps, and then four other unique, smaller maps (again, from the same four worlds). I could be wrong, though.

Well, not quite.

There are four planets, and all maps come from those planets. To my eyes, it looks like there are four big maps + four smaller maps derived from those big maps, and then four other unique, smaller maps (again, from the same four worlds). I could be wrong, though.

The small maps are not based of the big ones. They are completly different.

Well, not quite.

I can confirm there are at least 3 small maps that are not derived from the larger maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom