• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

I think you are going to be very disappointed.

I loved the beta and a third person shooty game is like a trip back in time to when games were just fun and amazing for me.

If you already don't like the look of it though, buying it seems daft.

Oh I very much like the look of the game itself, I was talking about not liking the footage I saw of most of the other smaller playercount game modes. I don't have an Xbox One so I don't have Early Access, so I didn't want to say I didn't like them because I haven't actually played them yet, I just didn't like what I was seeing in video :p.

Walker Assault would have been a blast in the beta if it hadn't been so unbalanced, but it seems like by most reports it's much better in the final release since you can bring in the higher level Ion stuff that wasn't available in the Beta, and it seems like they may have tweaked the AT-AT walkspeeds. Drop Zone was alright, but probably not something I would play really, I much prefer the larger gametypes (I always play Ground War in CoD etc). The actual gameplay I am totally fine with largely outside of the cards/power ups as random drops which I think are pretty dumb. I don't have a problem at all with the game being "arcadey" or simple like some people do.

I think it's going to be a toss-up for me in how much the Star Wars nerd in me loves it versus how tired/old the smaller map selection in the bigger modes gets for me.

DOWN

Banned
Kinda. There are 4 main maps. The other multiplayer maps are all just cut out from those 4 maps.
As stated by others, they have definitely mentioned that there are maps from other locations on the planet besides the one for big mode

Tak3n

Banned
I get what you're saying. I have a more than capable rig (i7 4970k, GTX 970, 8GB RAM) but I fear the community won't be as long lasting. Especially given the days of PC map making/mods are all but gone for these kinds of games.

I'm not even sure I WANT this game. It just looks really good and I've not played a proper multiplayer game for a while now. Feeling the itch.

on Xbox One you can buy the ultimate edition from Colombia for £47/$71 that to me makes the PS4 done, as their price is full RRP, and probably beats the PC

it is dead easy to buy from Colombia and we are all almost in agreement the Season Pass is almost essentially

You'll need a form of payment which allows international payments without being rejected.

A good website to find out where the cheapest region to purchase from is http://www.digitalgamesprices.com/xboxone.php

For the benefit of this example, I'll be buying Star Wars Battlefront ultimate edition from Columbia (which is £44.70 in Columbia & £104.99 in the UK Store).

I'm buying this AFTER I've bought EA Access, as this gives you an additional 10% off the Star Wars game.

Note, EA Access is also cheaper on the foreign marketplace, it's currently around £13.56 on the Hungarian marketplace. This will also give you a 10 hour trial of the full game, a week before release (I.e now).

Right, navigate over to Xbox.com & find the game you want to purchase. It should give you this price in UK pounds as you're on the uk store.

In the bottom left hand corner of the screen, will be some text saying "United Kingdom" - this is a link, click it and it will take you to a list of other Xbox marketplaces.

You want to find the one saying Columbia, click this and it will switch stores and give you a price in Columbian Peso's (which will be $229900).

If you head over to XE.com, you can convert this to check the price.

OK, the fun part......

Click to purchase the game & it will take you to the payment screen. I just used google to convert the text to English, but if on chrome etc you can do this as a whole web page.

Enter your new card details, plus a Columbian address.

I used my normal address details, but changed the town to Bogota, postcode to 11011 & a random Columbian phone number.

Note, some people have to connect to a Columbian VPN at this stage, it depends on your ISP (some have had success without it).

I personally used one, connected using the VPN Unlimited app to Los Santos, Panama.

Your game should then be purchased (at this point you can click the Columbia link in the bottom left corner of the screen & change back to the UK store if you wish).

Your game will appear in your download queue (or pending downloads) on your Xbox One.

You can use this method to purchase any game from most regions, wherever is cheaper. It's NOT against the MS terms & conditions (as you are purchasing it, albeit at a greatly reduced price), plus all digital content is region free.

The small maps are not based of the big ones. They are completly different.

Pretty sure that the small Rebel Base (Hoth) is basically a cut out of a section of Outpost Beta, right?

And then you have the Ice Caves, which is completely unique.

I'm pretty sure that's how most of the maps go. Imperial Station on Endor is a small section of the big Forest Moon map, but Swamp Crash Site is unique.

List of maps from another gaffer:

Walker Assault - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Sorosub Complex (Sullust)
Jundland Wastes (Tattooine)

Supremacy - 4:
Forest Moon of Endor
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Sorosub Centroplex (Sullust)

Cargo - 4:
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)
Imperial Hangar (Sullust)

Hero Hunt - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)
Dune Sea Exchange (Tattooine)

Heros vs Villains - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Fighter Squadron - 4:
Outpost Beta (Hoth)
Sorosub Centroplex (Sullust)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
NOTE: All four are naturally in the sky.

Blast - 9:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)

Droid Run - 6:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)

Drop Zone - 6:
Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Rebel Base (Hoth)

Pretty sure that the small Rebel Base (Hoth) is basically a cut out of a section of Outpost Beta, right?

And then you have the Ice Caves, which is completely unique.

I'm pretty sure that's how most of the maps go. Imperial Station on Endor is a small section of the big Forest Moon map, but Swamp Crash Site is unique.

List of maps from another gaffer:

From what i remember that Hoth Base wasnt the same base you would see in Walker Assault. And yeah Ice cave. And man that map looks beautiful too.

So my barriers to purchase are:

-Stability: Battlefield 4 taught us an important lesson--its server issues were still pretty rampant 3-4 months after release
-Content: Destiny and Evolve, among others, burned me in terms of playable content

The game has been remarkably stable during my 10 hours--I literally don't think I had a single crash. Game froze up ONCE but I think that was more of a New Dashboard issue.

And there's always that "if all of my friends are playing it" factor, too.

prag16

Banned
Hello prag16

We are seeing an increase in customer support requests currently and we are unable to respond to your request as quickly as we would like.

We apologise for the delay, your request will be reviewed as soon as possible. Please do not open any new tickets regarding the same issue.

Kind regards,

Green Man Gaming Customer Service.

ragenuclear.png

A friend that submitted his request AFTER me got a response that they'd process the refund 15 minutes after he submitted his. I waited two hours, then got the above. Bullshit.

-Stability: Battlefield 4 taught us an important lesson--its server issues were still pretty rampant 3-4 months after release
-Content: Destiny and Evolve, among others, burned me in terms of playable content

The game has been remarkably stable during my 10 hours--I literally don't think I had a single crash. Game froze up ONCE but I think that was more of a New Dashboard issue.

The game runs fine. No issues.

Destiny.. you know that Story behind it... and Evolve.. was its own fault to only concentrate on 4v1...

Eggbok

Wait, Zelda was a man all this time?!

I guess you meant Link :p

No I know it's Link lol I was being sarcastic. :p

When they revealed Linkle @ the Nintendo Direct there were people saying Zelda is finally a girl even though they meant Link lol.

MrDaravon

I get the impression one of, if not their biggest mandates was to make sure the game runs solid and they don't have the crazy problems Battlefield 4 had at launch. I would imagine this being an enormous release with the Star Wars name on it in the run-up to Episode VII and their first game with the SW license from Disney probably had a lot of pressure put on them to avoid technical problems. Say what you will about anything else regarding the game, it runs goddamn well.

This is a rare opportunity to play a game and make my own opinions before reviews hit. In that respect I'm very curious to see how this game reviews.

If I purchase EA Access this month can I try the game for 10 hours after it is fully released? I still want to try a taste but I wasn't sure if the trial was only meant before it's released tomorrow

If I purchase EA Access this month can I try the game for 10 hours after it is fully released? I still want to try a taste but I wasn't sure if the trial was only meant before it's released tomorrow

Yes... I was playing Madden yesterday using the few hours I had left with my EA access trial.

You may or may not have to download that trial prerelease though I'm not sure about that.

I have the trial on xbox one. If I buy the game, will I have to download anything else, or is it just kind of like an unlock key I am buying now?

Unless they are treating this game differently than all their others, yes. You could use your 10 hours today or months from now.

Daft_Cat

A happy accident landed me a PS4 copy of the game on Friday. Checked in periodically, but the servers seemed pretty empty. Not surprising since the game isn't out, but I keep seeing all kinds of new impressions/videos popping up. Is this a problem on my end?

In any case, fortunately I had Fallout to keep my rage at bay (November is always such a gaming time-sink, but this year feels especially treacherous).

A happy accident landed me a PS4 copy of the game on Friday. Checked in periodically, but the servers seemed pretty empty. Not surprising since the game isn't out, but I keep seeing all kinds of new impressions/videos popping up. Is this a problem on my end?

In any case, fortunately I had Fallout to keep my rage at bay (Christ, this time of year is always such a gaming time-sink).

People are playing it on Xbox One. It's available through EA Access.

Oh I very much like the look of the game itself, I was talking about not liking the footage I saw of most of the other smaller playercount game modes. I don't have an Xbox One so I don't have Early Access, so I didn't want to say I didn't like them because I haven't actually played them yet, I just didn't like what I was seeing in video :p.

Walker Assault would have been a blast in the beta if it hadn't been so unbalanced, but it seems like by most reports it's much better in the final release since you can bring in the higher level Ion stuff that wasn't available in the Beta, and it seems like they may have tweaked the AT-AT walkspeeds. Drop Zone was alright, but probably not something I would play really, I much prefer the larger gametypes (I always play Ground War in CoD etc). The actual gameplay I am totally fine with largely outside of the cards/power ups as random drops which I think are pretty dumb. I don't have a problem at all with the game being "arcadey" or simple like some people do.

I think it's going to be a toss-up for me in how much the Star Wars nerd in me loves it versus how tired/old the smaller map selection in the bigger modes gets for me.

I really enjoyed the smaller modes, they are fast and exciting fun, if you play the objectives you will win more often than not. I am more excited about the small maps than the big ones to be honest!

I can understand others hesitation on the amount of maps too but in the beta I played about 20 hours of sullust drop zone, so if a map is enjoyable that's all I need.

I think as long as you arent expecting a deep experience with RPG elements to your levelling up you will enjoy the game, feature wise it's like a game from 2002 with amazing visuals and that was my favourite time in gaming so i'm not complaining.

DamnBoxes

Hmmmm, to get this on Xbox One or PS4... that is the question...

I've been having fun with the game on Xbox One via EA Access but that boost in performance on PS4 sounds pretty dang nice...

5taquitos

I've been having fun with the game on Xbox One via EA Access but that boost in performance on PS4 sounds pretty dang nice...

A potentially larger player base on PS4 may mean more modes stay populated longer.

DOWN

Banned

More players on PS4 and a significantly higher res. Why wouldn't you get it on PS4?

I am both excited and not for this game. I played the BETA a ton. The lack of customization is really killing it for me. I would prefer for this to be like battlefield where I can play and unlock and keep going. At the same time the idea of a Star Wars game that I can pop in and just play in that space for 30 mins and then play something else is intriguing too.

who knows.. I still can't wait for tomorrow.

ragenuclear.png

A friend that submitted his request AFTER me got a response that they'd process the refund 15 minutes after he submitted his. I waited two hours, then got the above. Bullshit.

My refund went trough after like an hour I put my cancellation request like 2 hours ago, did the Mexican VPN thing and it went trough. feels good.

DamnBoxes

More players on PS4 and a significantly higher res. Why wouldn't you get it on PS4?

I know one friend of mine getting it for PS4, whereas I know three friends getting it for Xbox One (because they don't have a PS4).

I'm leaning towards delivering some bad news to my Xbox One comrades.

Looking good.

12227211_1242476842433008_1913240504123467554_n.jpg

cripterion

Cannot find any game on pc except TDM which isn't really that exciting.

The graphics are really good and no problem running this on GTX 980ti @1440P. G-Sync doing its work, just fluid all around but the amount of pop in is really distracting.

Is Supremacy essentially the War mode from CoD: World at War? I loved that mode.

Its more like Chainlink from BF4.

Get it on both :D

Bought it too for both but the PS4 version will be my main version to play :)

I have not been keeping up with th thread but has anyone been able to buy one of those ps4 STAR WARS controllers? They are selling them at independent of the ps4 bundle at Walmart only . Are they keeping them in til tomorrow maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom