• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothos

I was so wishy washy on getting this game but after finally bitting the bullet and going for it I realize I have to bounce out of this thread for a while. Whenever I see someone talking about hating it/it being boring my hype immediately vanishes and I start to doubt my purchase.

I once read good advice here. If you have doubts about the thing you want to buy you'll eventually regret the purchase. I think it's quite insighful and so far it works for me very well :)

I once read good advice here. If you have doubts about the thing you want to buy you'll eventually regret the purchase. I think it's quite insighful and so far it works for me very well :)

As someone who has horrible buyer's remorse with everything I purchase I'd be homeless with nothing to my name if I did that.

gossi

As someone who has horrible buyer's remorse with everything I purchase I'd be homeless with nothing to my name if I did that.

As someone who buys every game released... I will probably be homeless too with nothing but games worth $5 each to my name one day by not following that advice.

Ferr986

Most guns got less velocity so you need to lead the targets more. :)

Btw i pre ordered the game on Xbox Live. But do i need to have a extra code for the Battle of Jakku dlc? Its says if you pre ordered you get a week earlier but i dont see how they gonna see that?

Now that you say it, I have a similar problem on PS4. Dl'ed the game and themes but I did not see anything about the DLC.
Anyone knows?

Woorloog

Banned
Gemüsepizza;185708372 said:

Both reviews seem to complain about lack of variety in guns.
Understandable, i guess, but i cannot think what else Dice could add to the game, since they're going strictly by what's seen in the original trilogy (and prequels wouldn't add much).

There's like one or two projectile weapons in the films, and they act like blasters in practice. There are no beam-guns or shotguns or... Well pretty much anything.

Sure, they could have resurrected some weapons from old EU games, like the Flechette launcher from Jedi Outcast but that would go against the idea of things fitting in with OT equipment. (Do note the Rocket Launcher in Battlefront is a new thing to Star Wars, but aesthetics-wise it is carefully done to fit in with OT equipment, by looking a lot like a modified real rocket launcher, just like blasters are modified real firearms.)
Perhaps these functions could be mated with new models that fit better with existing things though.
And perhaps we will get such, DLC will add more weapons after all.

cripterion

I was so wishy washy on getting this game but after finally bitting the bullet and going for it I realize I have to bounce out of this thread for a while. Whenever I see someone talking about hating it/it being boring my hype immediately vanishes and I start to doubt my purchase.

Well my criticism comes from the fact that I've only played it a few hours and it feels repetitive like no other shooter I've played before... It's strange but can't really pinpoint why I've got that feeling.
Feels like this game is aimed more at consoles with the way it plays (shooting, vehicule movement) and that interface. I'm not a big fan of CoD but so far, my feeling is I had much more fun in the few hours of play then here.

Will try supremacy tomorrow (could only play blast and walker assault), hopefully trying other modes make me change my mind.

Wouldn't the simplicity lead itself to the PC as well given the focus on shooting would make the extra precision even more important given the lack of secondary roles?

I'm expecting a 70% range for reviews.

Mostly because there is not a lot of base game content and there appears to be a lot of Season Pass DLC that should probably be free with the base game to flesh it out more.
I expect an 80 average myself. Some publications will give it 90 scores.
While it is well done, there is not much to do really.

Mostly because there is not a lot of base game content and there appears to be a lot of Season Pass DLC that should probably be free with the base game to flesh it out more.

Yeah, seems likely. But what am I supposed to do, buy Back Ops III? Yes, more content. But 0/10 on delivering Star Wars content. That is a zero of a possible 10. No Star Wars, no buy. :)

desu

Played a few hours and can already see where all the people are coming from that said 10h EA Access was enough for then.

Content wise I don't really feel like this is a 60$ game, basically 4 maps for Walker Assault/Supremacy and then 9 maps for all other game modes (not always these 9 are available, sometimes only 4 of them). Then there are 3 Endor variants (2 smaller ones and one bigger) so there is also lots of asset sharing going on which is smart and totally fine but in the light of not really a lot of content and an already announced season pass this feels pretty meh.

There really is no doubt that this game sounds and looks absolutely fucking amazing, I probably could spend more time looking/hearing it then actually playing it. It also runs super well and the game feels pretty polished overall (at least it seems to be far from "normal" Battlefielld launch statem - quality wise, but that might be subjective).

As a pc player the match making is just super horrible for me. So far I don't really like half of the smaller maps, however I can't look for a server that has either single map or limited map rotation that suits me. I may be stupid but there I am also missing the option to switch teams. As I had a couple of games today with super uneven teams but basically nothing was done to even out both sides (neither could I find how to switch sides nor did the server do anything).

Can't say I hate the game, nor can I say that I love it, wouldn't be surprised if it's off my radar pretty soon or will just be played casually whenever I see it and not for weeks straight as other MP shooters.

Hmm, maybe adding a single player campaign could have possibly helped with the lack of content?

desu

Hmm, maybe adding a single player campaign could have possibly helped with the lack of content?

Singeplayer would be nice, but if their aim is a MP shooter than I would have prefered a lot more MP maps (most likely all the content that we will get with the season pass ...).

DOWN

Banned
What the heck kind of customization could be added to Star Wars before it becomes hokey junk that ruins the look of the matches? Where are these extra already released movies that DICE was supposed to pull more guns from to add game variety? The game is beautifully detailed and fun in similar ways to original Battlefront and stuff like Garden Warfare.

jeemer

i got this working with the vpn and i've just spent the last 45 minutes in the speederbike training mission. this is awesome, it still made me think of playing this

3Yc14Dz.png

but it plays almost like a more dangerous wipeout.

Bsigg12

i got this working with the vpn and i've just spent the last 45 minutes in the speederbike training mission. this is awesome, it still made me think of playing this

3Yc14Dz.png

but it plays almost like a more dangerous wipeout.

It can be crazy frustrating trying to get the 2.5 challenge when an AT-AT or AT-ST steps in front of you causing you to deflect directly into a tree.

JimiNutz

Banned
Tired to buy this from the US store so that I could get it early and it won't accept my credit card :(
I'm using a fake US billing address, is that a problem? I thought we could use any US address?

Tired to buy this from the US store so that I could get it early and it won't accept my credit card :(
I'm using a fake US billing address, is that a problem? I thought we could use any US address?
Where are you located? But yeah, it checks the address on the card. Only way I know of to buy from US PSN without a US billing address registered to the card is by buying PSN codes and topping it up.

Szeth

Refunded my GMG order and bought the game + season pass on Mexican origin, incredible savings especially since I'm in Canada. My thanks to everyone for the heads up.

ultron87

Just watched like 8 Rebels spawn with an ATST standing ten feet behind them. Spawn camping really shouldn't be a thing in games anymore.

JimiNutz

Banned
Where are you located? But yeah, it checks the address on the card. Only way I know of to buy from US PSN without a US billing address registered to the card is by buying PSN codes and topping it up.

I'm in the UK.
I managed to buy Halo MCC on the Xbox Store using the same billing address but that card is now expired. Used a different card with same billing address but this time it doesn't work :(

Has anyone ever preordered from Target? This is my first game I've done so and the associate had no idea what a preorder even was. Do I go to Customer Service or electronics?

I'm in the UK.
I managed to buy Halo MCC on the Xbox Store using the same billing address but that card is now expired. Used a different card with same billing address but this time it doesn't work :(
Xbox Store doesn't seem to do the same checks in my experience. Best bet if you want the codes now would be either to check the Buy/Sell/Trade thread here on NeoGAF, or buy from Amazon US. There's a thread on here somewhere about it as well as multiple guides online. :)

Anti-Aliasing on PC makes the entire thing look like a blurry mess, best to turn off.

But man, this looks and sounds like a damn dream, so smooth too.

Tak3n

Banned
I'm in the UK.

Search my posts for the Colombia route in this thread £47 for ultimate edition :)

Woorloog

Banned
How much does the game cost in Mexican Origin? And how much is it in euros?

Wondering if i should cancel my pre-order from one place and use the VPN trick. I paid 45€ (ie $48).

Bsigg12

Our review is live: http://nextgengamingblog.com/blog/star-wars-battlefront-review/

It'll be updated with PS4 thoughts through the week, but this is based on the Xbox one version so far

The lack of content seems to be a consensus across the reviews that have been posted. The game looks incredible, plays like you think a Battlefront game should but it just feels like it's missing something. I'm sure owners of the season pass will be happy in 6 months once there's more to it but to me the content reminds of Titanfall, solid gameplay/game with just not enough at launch.

Karak

AngryCentaurGaming already uploaded his: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNLRuhZbDjA

Spoiler: He rates it as
a ''wait for sale title'' because of a lack of content to keep the game interesting for a while.

Thanks for posting mine sir.

The lack of content seems to be a consensus across the reviews that have been posted. The game looks incredible, plays like you think a Battlefront game should but it just feels like it's missing something. I'm sure owners of the season pass will be happy in 6 months once there's more to it but to me the content reminds of Titanfall, solid gameplay/game with just not enough at launch.
For me it was also lack of sustainable funfactor. Lots of things can help out that category but the game just became a slog for me and I returned to it 3 separate times to see if it was just timing, the game, needing a break, whatever. But it just became very rote very quickly. Within maybe 7 hours maybe 8 I just felt done.
That doesn't mean it will be that way for others which is why I explain what impacted me alone. If others feel differently all the power to them. If I could have had hour 12 feel even close to say hour 2. Damn I would still be there.

I am also laughing at everyone using the same jokes for lack of content disturbing LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom