• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

cripterion

Yikes, team deathmatch fucking blows and I dunno if they changed the targeting system but not hitting people consistently like I did in beta.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thanks for linking. I encourage everyone to give this a read and not just what Gossi quoted as it makes it seem much more negative than it actually is. In fact the writer aknowledges just how refreshing this level of minimalism is in the game, although he notes it's a gamble since it may not appease the COD/BF audiences who have come to expect so much depth in movement, gunplay and customization.

Star Wars Battlefront feels like a return to the GoldenEye era

I'm cherry picking from the opposite side, but it's what is important to me and I expect many of you looking forward to this game.

This is why I think I'm really going to enjoy this.

Great read, thanks for sharing.

Yup.
I personally don't need a deep and time consuming shooter, this will be the perfect game to play for 30min-1hr every 2-3 days as a break from the other game i'm playing, which are usually lenghty RPGs (like FO4).

Agreed! Same here.

zozTa6.gif

holy shit!

Darth Vader still the ultimate boss.

LOL, this cracked me up.

I've been playing the EA Access trial and I have to say I am impressed.

I think the 'casual' approach is perfect for this game. Star Wars has a massive appeal and will draw people that aren't Battlefield/COD/Titanfall/Halo players and therefore the approach that DICE has taken to make it broadly accessible is a big win for the player base and longevity of the community. In my opinion of course.

As for the game itself I am in love. It looks and sounds absolutely perfect. It feels and plays fine. The on foot action is accessible and also allows for a level of skill that will see good players stick out from the crowd. The vehicle controls are also great, with the ship to ship combat satisfying and challenging in dogfights.

Walker Assault has been refined from the beta and is now fair, balanced and fun as a Rebel. Teamwork means you'll win matches more often than you'll lose so communicating teams have a distinct advantage. I've spent almost all of my time with the game (6 hours so far) in Walker Assault and I cannot get enough.

The only other mode I've played is Fighter Squadren and it just makes me wish space combat was included in the game. The ships handle really well, dog fighting is great and the inclusion of the Falon and Slave makes for an interesting wildcard.

Overal I am thoroughly enjoying the game and having little to no latency or lag issues playing from Australia.

Bravo DICE!

My thoughts exactly. Can't not wait to dive in deeper tomorrow.

Theorry

Yikes, team deathmatch fucking blows and I dunno if they changed the targeting system but not hitting people consistently like I did in beta.

Most guns got less velocity so you need to lead the targets more. :)

Btw i pre ordered the game on Xbox Live. But do i need to have a extra code for the Battle of Jakku dlc? Its says if you pre ordered you get a week earlier but i dont see how they gonna see that?

Bsigg12

Most guns got less velocity so you need to lead the targets more. :)

Btw i pre ordered the game on Xbox Live. But do i need to have a extra code for the Battle of Jakku dlc? Its says if you pre ordered you get a week earlier but i dont see how they gonna see that?

Go into the Manage Game screen and it should have a little 9mb or so add on.

Bsigg12

Hmm dont see it. Only the 19gb orginal download.

Hmm, I wonder if it's just added automatically. I'm looking at the Xbox Store listing and it says that it includes access to Jakku on December 1st. I got the Deluxe edition for free and the code it came with was for the extra things and the Jakku access so I'm sure you'll be good to go since you went digital.

Jetpack, I fucking miss you buddy. Feels like a different game without it.

It sucks that it's a level 13 unlock. Once I finally got it, and subsequently upgraded it, the game started feeling much better as a trooper.

Plasmid

For those of you who are into fighter squadron ATTACK THE TRANSPORTS. I've lost 5 in a row because people just attack other people but don't go after transports god damn.

Bsigg12

For those of you who are into fighter squadron ATTACK THE TRANSPORTS. I've lost 5 in a row because people just attack other people but don't go after transports god damn.

Grab the Millennium Falcon or the Slave-1 and you'll be unstoppable and can bring those down by yourself.

Bsigg12

Wait, you can upgrade Starcards now? How?

Certain ones will have an option when looking at them in the Cards menu. I think it was 7000 credits to upgrade the Jetpack and 5000 for the thermal detonator. It just cuts the cooldown timer.

Also, as soon as you get access to it, Traits are pretty awesome. The Scout trait at level 1 makes it so sprinting doesn't show you on enemy radars, level 2 is shooting and sprinting, and level 3 is shooting, sprinting with a chance to reset the weapon cooldown. Traits level in a match like a killstreak.

I am trying to get to lvl 50 to unlock that black attire shadow trooper.

So is everyone else. I'm hoping the majority of people reach it around the same time causing a sudden influx of shadowtroopers which causes people to get tired of it and then return the population to a more reasonable mix of trooper types. It's not going to be fun if 90% of troopers are shadow.

I plan on sticking with white, with helmet on.

So is everyone else. I'm hoping the majority of people reach it around the same time causing a sudden influx of shadowtroopers which causes people to get tired of it and then return the population to a more reasonable mix of trooper types. It's not going to be fun if 90% of troopers are shadow.

I plan on sticking with white, with helmet on.

There are definitely some maps where white is more useful than black. Hoth white Trooper. Endor gotta go black.

gossi

Did I post about the racist message I got for taking the helmet off my stormtrooper using the customization options? (the character is black).

Anyhoo, I reported it - looks like the dude got booted off Xbox Live.

GameCentral have posted a pretty positive 'pre-review' of the game.

This was the first time we’d seen Endor in live gameplay and it is absolutely gorgeous. Controlling a speeder bike looks and sounds exactly like the movies, and although it’s just a fun arcade mini-game the controls are relatively nuanced and the dangers of crashing into a giant redwood quite real.

It’s true that Battlefront would only be half the game it is without the genius of John Williams and Ben Burtt, but it’s hardly the only video game to be elevated by the quality of its sound and graphics. Importantly, the map design is at least as good as Battlefield. Although there’s only a small amount of destructibility, the maps are large and encourage exploration and improvisation. The landscapes are also almost unique amongst shooters, from the volcanic splendour of Sullust, to the thick forest of Endor, and the sparkling snow fields of Hoth. (Tatooine’s rocks and sand are great too, but we weren’t shown the free DLC on Jakku – as that’s not till after launch.)

The best advertisement for the game is that by the time we look at a clock again it’s at least three hours later than we expected, and as EA began shooing us out of the building everyone was more than a little put out that we couldn’t carry on playing. Battlefront is clearly a high quality shooter, but the main question that hangs over it is the one that was asked almost the moment it was announced: what about the longevity? If the game is aimed at a more casual audience than usual does that also imply a shorter lifespan?

cripterion

Man EA access people weren't lying. Played for a few hours and already had my fill. This will be once in a while kinda game. Certainly doesn't have the same lasting appeal of BF4.

I hate the shooting right now, you get kills not aiming correctly at the head sometimes and when you zoom with pintpoint accuracy you get nothing. I think like one youtuber said, it's basically better to run around in third person hip fire shooting, I went on a 8-0 like that.

If this is the way the game is designed than I'm afraid it's really not for me.

NotLiquid

Was a bit hesitant coming off of the beta but what I played felt promising.

Fuck it, I can always cancel my pre-order. Looking forward to seeing it fold out, I'm excited.

Man EA access people weren't lying. Played for a few hours and already had my fill. This will be once in a while kinda game. Certainly doesn't have the same lasting appeal of BF4.

I hate the shooting right now, you get kills not aiming correctly at the head sometimes and when you zoom with pintpoint accuracy you get nothing. I think like one youtuber said, it's basically better to run around in third person hip fire shooting, I went on a 8-0 like that.

Yeah the aiming does seem less precise than from the beta.

gossi

Yep, it has extreme auto aim. Don't ADS, it takes too long - they will kill you. Just point the cross hair over the enemy and fire, it will auto connect. You can do this from far away. Think of it as an arcadey shooter and you will do well.

Theorry

Anyone know if the EA Access version was really the final code?
I mean PS players even got two updates these last days. Does the Xbox One version maybe also get a real day one patch?

Tubie

For those who played on EA Access, how long do you think it would take to unlock the jet pack for an average player?

gossi

For those who played on EA Access, how long do you think it would take to unlock the jet pack for an average player?

Took me 8 hours. (By the way, that weapon hand that people complained was OP in the beta has been moved to something like level 34).

The Chef

I was so wishy washy on getting this game but after finally bitting the bullet and going for it I realize I have to bounce out of this thread for a while. Whenever I see someone talking about hating it/it being boring my hype immediately vanishes and I start to doubt my purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom