• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiguelItUp

The lack of content seems to be a consensus across the reviews that have been posted. The game looks incredible, plays like you think a Battlefront game should but it just feels like it's missing something. I'm sure owners of the season pass will be happy in 6 months once there's more to it but to me the content reminds of Titanfall, solid gameplay/game with just not enough at launch.

I honestly think it may be the best comparison too. I'm really excited about Battlefront, but that's definitely the consensus that is being expressed from everywhere. Personally I can't help but imagine that I'll enjoy the game more than I enjoyed Titanfall, but I'm sure there will be a point where it may get a bit stale, maybe even sooner than later. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

The lack of content seems to be a consensus across the reviews that have been posted. The game looks incredible, plays like you think a Battlefront game should but it just feels like it's missing something. I'm sure owners of the season pass will be happy in 6 months once there's more to it but to me the content reminds of Titanfall, solid gameplay/game with just not enough at launch.

Thats what ive been saying since the beta. EA are clearly relying on the brand to sell the game. Where Titanfall failed i feel like this game will have more luck at though. No one cares about the Titanfall universe so any problems that game has automatically feel like bigger problems. This game though, it has the luxury of being called Star wars which a lot more people care about right off the bat.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I know it's old hat, but I think what we're looking at here is a Battlefront "2" in 2018 or so that'll be a richer and more complete experience by a considerable margin.

Bsigg12

I know it's old hat, but I think what we're looking at here is a Battlefront "2" in 2018 or so that'll be a richer and more complete experience by a considerable margin.

When is Episode 8 set for? What about the spinoff movie? I would think Disney has EA setup for a game, not necessarily Battlefront, every year we have a new movie going forward.

winstano

The fact they're selling a £40/$50 season pass compounds this I think. Seems to take the piss a bit when they're promising 16 maps in the season pass, and there are only 12 in the base game!

Davide

When is Episode 8 set for? What about the spinoff movie? I would think Disney has EA setup for a game, not necessarily Battlefront, every year we have a new movie going forward.

Episode VIII is out in only a year and a half May 2017, don't know if they'll put another Battlefront out that fast. Maybe November 2017.

Yeah but at point what do you do? Only the new movies as content or new and rehash of these maps too? Honestly, they should have just made battlefront a service where more could be added to this.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Rogue One is late 2016, IIRC, and Episode VIII is mid-2017. I admit that 2018 is rather far off; maybe Holiday 2017 is a more realistic outlook. I just kind of see them going back to Battlefield or what-have-you for a year or two after this is all.

I agree that EA likely wants a big Star Wars title every year going forward, at least for a while. Visceral's project is next year, right?

The fact they're selling a £40/$50 season pass compounds this I think. Seems to take the piss a bit when they're promising 16 maps in the season pass, and there are only 12 in the base game!

I actually don't really mind that.

Battlefield 3 and 4 launched with around 10 maps and their DLC added ~20. Fantastic value, beeeecause...

That was 10 original maps for ALL modes. I think that's the kicker, here. Each Battlefront DLC is adding 4 maps, but I suspect it will be the same template that the game currently has: 2 new big game mode maps (WA and Supremacy), then 2 smaller maps cut from those maps, and 2 other smaller maps that are set on the same planets, but aren't a "part" of the big maps. "12 maps" in this context is a little less than the truth compared to it for Battlefield.

Bsigg12

Episode VIII is out in only a year and a half May 2017, don't know if they'll put another Battlefront out that fast.

Oh that's sooner than I was expecting. I wonder what the Amy Hennig and Jade Raymond projects are then.

Yeah but at point what do you do? Only the new movies as content or new and rehash of these maps too? Honestly, they should have just made battlefront a service where more could be added to this.

I completely agree. They still have the prequel trilogy to add more content in if they wanted to go that route but at that point you're adding Droids and all the vehicles and stuff that comes with that.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm anticipating Hennig's project with Visceral to try to hit Holiday 2016 and potentially get pushed into March 2017 or so. Just a ballpark -- and I may be running off old info, anyway. I'm super-stoked for that game, whatever it is, but I haven't really followed its progress. Last I checked there was nothing to discuss.

JimiNutz

Banned
Xbox Store doesn't seem to do the same checks in my experience. Best bet if you want the codes now would be either to check the Buy/Sell/Trade thread here on NeoGAF, or buy from Amazon US. There's a thread on here somewhere about it as well as multiple guides online. :)

I managed to get it working!
Glad I'll be able to play this tomorrow now instead of waiting until Thursday!

Woorloog

Banned
~39€ I think

6€ difference... eh, not worth the hassle really. Besides, could i even play today or tomorrow, since the release in EU is on 19th (IIRC)?

EDIT I assume pre-load is impossible without owning/having pre-ordered the game? If there's preload on PC, that is?

ryseing

What the heck kind of customization could be added to Star Wars before it becomes hokey junk that ruins the look of the matches? Where are these extra already released movies that DICE was supposed to pull more guns from to add game variety? The game is beautifully detailed and fun in similar ways to original Battlefront and stuff like Garden Warfare.

I think adding Clone Wars era weapons would have been a good idea, if only to add some more options and also to satiate those who want CW content in some form.

I'm anticipating Hennig's project with Visceral to try to hit Holiday 2016 and potentially get pushed into March 2017 or so. Just a ballpark -- and I may be running off old info, anyway. I'm super-stoked for that game, whatever it is, but I haven't really followed its progress. Last I checked there was nothing to discuss.

I read in Entertainment Weekly that Bioware has a new game in the works. Had that been officially announced?

I find it bizarre that the UI doesn't make some of the character customization options apparent. For instance, characters can equip "trait" cards later on after they rank up that allow them to further specialize. This should be obvious at all times, even if it's locked for future levels.

Sitting down on my couch all cozy and shit while eating lunch earlier, then I see a Battlefront 3 commercial...

Downloading on the PS4 right now, so hyped!

gossi

Reviews are out? I spy no review thread, which is strange.

the reviews are embargoed until tomorrow.

Some outlets reviewed via EA Access rather than sign the non-disclosure and attend the review event, which has allowed them to review on live servers and release their reviews whenever they want.

Both reviews seem to complain about lack of variety in guns.
Understandable, i guess, but i cannot think what else Dice could add to the game, since they're going strictly by what's seen in the original trilogy (and prequels wouldn't add much).

There's like one or two projectile weapons in the films, and they act like blasters in practice. There are no beam-guns or shotguns or... Well pretty much anything.

Sure, they could have resurrected some weapons from old EU games, like the Flechette launcher from Jedi Outcast but that would go against the idea of things fitting in with OT equipment. (Do note the Rocket Launcher in Battlefront is a new thing to Star Wars, but aesthetics-wise it is carefully done to fit in with OT equipment, by looking a lot like a modified real rocket launcher, just like blasters are modified real firearms.)
Perhaps these functions could be mated with new models that fit better with existing things though.
And perhaps we will get such, DLC will add more weapons after all.

I thought some of equipment-powerups and some the weapons are completely new. But yeah they shouldn't focused too much on the OT. I remember thinking about certain arguments that people brought a long time ago during the time of BF2 that a complete OT wouldn't have a lot of stuff and be fairly limited. I don't know if they truly was limited in their creative freedom or it was something they chose. It would be more interesting to me if people got to experience more places , battles, weapons, vehicles, etc we didn't get to see on screen.

Yeah, I mean--aren't the Jump Pack, the flashbang, the impact grenade, the two-shot pistol, and a few others completely new to the universe?

jeemer

Man I need to get to bed for work already and I've barely had a chance to scratch the surface. Got the speederbike and x wing beggars canyon training and a couple of games of heroes and villains in. Palpatine is great fun.

I'm in the UK and haven't bought something from the US PSN in quite awhile but think I may do it with this, how long until the digital version unlocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom