• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really on the fence with this game, but after watching Gameplay of the different modes I'm totally sold.

I enjoyed the beta and this looks to just expand and improve on what I've already played.

I'll see you boys on the Battlefront at 9 PM PST :)

Vire

Pixel Gate UK gave it a 4.5/10 ...... ouch
Read the review, it actually seemed very fair. Just mainly criticized the lack of content but said it would probably worth it once it hits 20 or 30 for the spectacular audio/visuals.

Never trust a man in a bow tie though.

Jobbs

Banned
Canonically, TIE Interceptor was pretty much all around upgrade to the TIE Fighter, with better agility and speed and more firepower though it wasn't really sturdier.
Guess it has been tweaked for gameplay's sake?

In the X-Wing and Tie Fighter DOS games, the Tie Intercepter had 4 blasters (compared to a Tie Fighter's 2) and moved a bit faster. Niether had shields or warp drives. An interceptor is basically a more formidable tie fighter.

Similarly, in those games, I also remember X-Wings and A-Wings. Rebel fighters all had shields and warp drives, unlike the three main tie fighter variants. X-Wings had stronger shields and 4 blasters compared to the A-Wing's two. The A-Wing was faster (if I recall from something in the EU, A-Wing is a modified stunt fighter, whatever that means) Both had torpedo armaments.

Just incidentally, since we're talking Tie Fighter/etc games, the first imperial ships that allowed shields and warp drives were Tie Advanced (which is similar to Darth Vader's fighter from episode 4), Assault Gunboat, and the Tie Defender, which was an absolute power house.

wrongway

Just played through the tutorial missions on PC. Wow, the new mouse controls for flight are going to take some getting used to. I was actually pretty good with the old setup, even if it was kind of clunky. The faux joystick thing's always been tricky for me. Might just have to plug in my xbone controller when I play this. :x

Ferrio

Banned
Just played through the tutorial missions on PC. Wow, the new mouse controls for flight are going to take some getting used to. I was actually pretty good with the old setup, even if it was kind of clunky. The faux joystick thing's always been tricky for me. Might just have to plug in my xbone controller when I play this. :x

It's what I do. Just switch to controller when you hop in a fighter. I find it much more enjoyable.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
7/10 is what I was expecting and that's fair to be honest. 7 isn't even a bad score IMO.

It's not a bad score, but nowadays with the average high scores reviewers give to games it actually is a really bad score. If it stays around 7, that means it is in the same category as games like Zombi, Just Dance, Mad Max, Ride, Grow Home, etc.

That's just not fair.

While I admit that content wise it could have been better, it is really not that light on content.

If you compare the game with the most recent shooter, Call of Duty: Black Ops III:
- They both have 12 maps, Battlefront has even 14 in two weeks
- Yes Black Ops III has more weapons, but it's not that all the weapons feel so different. If the game had 15 weapons instead of 40, you would barely notice it. And still, how much variety do people expect from 'laser weapons'?

And please don't come talking that black ops III has a zombie mode (that's only 1 map...) or the terrible singleplayer campaign.

And ow yeah the upcoming Rainbow Six Siege has if I am not mistaken 11 maps and not a decent singleplayer campaign. Will people also complain about the lack of content with that game?

Battlefront isn't going to be a multiplayer game that you play hundreds of hours, but it still provides fun for dozens of hours, even without the DLC. I also don't get why Battlefront gets an bad score because of content, but a singleplayer only game with 8 to 10 hours of gameplay gets a free pass and great score.

How did the controls change since beta?

Woorloog

Banned
In X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, the Tie Intercepter had 4 blasters (compared to a Tie Fighter's 2) and moved a bit faster. Niether had shields or warp drives. An interceptor is basically a more formidable tie fighter.

Similarly, in those games, I also remember X-Wings and A-Wings. Rebel fighters all had shields and warp drives, unlike the three main tie fighter variants. X-Wings had stronger shields and 4 blasters compared to the A-Wing's two. The A-Wing was faster (if I recall from something in the EU, A-Wing is a modified stunt fighter, whatever that means) Both had torpedo armaments.

Just incidentally, since we're talking Tie Fighter/etc games, the first imperial ships that allowed shields and warp drives were Tie Advanced (which is similar to Darth Vader's fighter from episode 4), Assault Gunboat, and the Tie Defender, which was an absolute power house.

I know this stuff.

The A-Wing was/is an interceptor, very fast, very maneuverable compared to the X-Wing (which is really a heavy multi-role fighter). Sturdier than the TIE Interceptor but less firepower (ignoring the missiles).

Darth Vader flew TIE Advanced X1, and that TIE Advanced in X-Wing/TIE games was sometimes called TIE Avenger, a derivative of X1 that achieved limited production status.

And it is hyperdrive, not a warp drive.

I really hope the Assault Gunboat makes back to canon. Such a cool ship. The Missile Boat can stay dead, missile spam isn't a Star Wars thing.

Kingsora

I just started looking for the season pass in the PlayStation Store, but I can't find it, I can only find the ultimate edition with the season pass included... What am I doing wrong?

hydruxo

I just started looking for the season pass in the PlayStation Store, but I can't find it, I can only find the ultimate edition with the season pass included... What am I doing wrong?

Web store or PS4 store? On PS4 it's right there in the 'Welcome' tab when you start up the store. There's a whole Battlefront page there and Season Pass is on it.

Silvard

Alright guys I think I'm going to jump on it.

Is there anything exclusive to the Ultimate Edition? Otherwise I don't see the point of it, you save a couple of cents if you buy the Deluxe and the Season Pass separately.

Kingsora

Web store or PS4 store? On PS4 it's right there in the 'Welcome' tab when you start up the store. There's a whole Battlefront page there and Season Pass is on it.

Can you make a printscreen? It's not showing on my Store (EU btw, not US)

It's not a bad score, but nowadays with the average high scores reviewers give to games it actually is a really bad score. If it stays around 7, that means it is in the same category as games like Zombi, Just Dance, Mad Max, Ride, Grow Home, etc.

That's just not fair.

While I admit that content wise it could have been better, it is really not that light on content.

If you compare the game with the most recent shooter, Call of Duty: Black Ops III:
- They both have 12 maps, Battlefront has even 14 in two weeks
- Yes Black Ops III has more weapons, but it's not that all the weapons feel so different. If the game had 15 weapons instead of 40, you would barely notice it. And still, how much variety do people expect from 'laser weapons'?

And please don't come talking that black ops III has a zombie mode (that's only 1 map...) or the terrible singleplayer campaign.

And ow yeah the upcoming Rainbow Six Siege has if I am not mistaken 11 maps and not a decent singleplayer campaign. Will people also complain about the lack of content with that game?

Battlefront isn't going to be a multiplayer game that you play hundreds of hours, but it still provides fun for dozens of hours, even without the DLC. I also don't get why Battlefront gets an bad score because of content, but a singleplayer only game with 8 to 10 hours of gameplay gets a free pass and great score.

Yikes, why even invoke the comparison to BO3? It has Battlefront beat when it comes to content, just going by numbers.

10 modes (plus four hardcore variations), 12 maps (for all modes, I think?), lots more weapons, tons more customization options, lots of abilities, a 4 player co-op offline/2 player co-op online zombie mode, and an SP mode (terrible as you may think it is, lots of players here really wanted SP for Battlefront). It has a LOT more content than Battlefront.

If R6: Siege doesn't have much content, then yeah, I hope they get called out for it. Seems like it would be deserving.

Score seems fair to me. It's not their fault the industry doesn't believe in scores below 5. A 7, to me, is a solid-to-good game, not a bad or even mediocre one. Perfectly purchasable.

antonz

Is there anything exclusive to the Ultimate Edition? Otherwise I don't see the point of it, you save a couple of cents if you buy the Deluxe and the Season Pass separately.

Ultimate doesn't seem to offer anything extra. I went the Mexican VPN route got Deluxe and Season pass for 83 bucks.

Kingsora

No the ultimate edition is just the deluxe edition with the season pass. I think buying the 'normal edition' with the season pass is actually a better deal.

Kinda dissapointed that they didn't add more nice things in the Deluxe edition

Bsigg12

Anyone know if Walmart will sell the game at 9pm tonight? I know best buy and gamestop does it.

They should be but you might have to convince a manager to get the game out if they don't have it ready.

To continue the sentiment:

Do not buy the Deluxe Edition

Unless you can get it cheaper than the standard edition.

wrongway

How did the controls change since beta?

They're doing that thing where your mouse acts kind of like a joystick. When you move your mouse, a little yellow cursor appears. The farther you move the cursor from the crosshair, the faster you turn. Returning the cursor to the middle makes you stop turning. This setup lets you perform smooth, continuous turns with the mouse, but since there's of course no spring to provide resistance or afford a quick snap to center like a real joystick, it's a little awkward imo.

Caja 117

My only thing to decide is to see how many of my friends are getting the game on xbox, if I only see one or two, Im getting this on ps4

These are v. nice. How would you rate the visuals versus other PS4 games on the market?

It is one of the best looking games I've seen, very easily. If not the best. And although you can notice it's not 1080p, IQ is very good, DICE are wizards.

Edit

Damn, I can't explain with words how awesome it was piloting X-Wings in Fighter Squadron. It looks and sounds absolutely incredible.

Kingsora

Yikes, why even invoke the comparison to BO3? It has Battlefront beat when it comes to content, just going by numbers.

10 modes (plus four hardcore variations), 12 maps (for all modes, I think?), lots more weapons, tons more customization options, lots of abilities, a 4 player co-op offline/2 player co-op online zombie mode, and an SP mode (terrible as you may think it is, lots of players here really wanted SP for Battlefront). It has a LOT more content than Battlefront.

If R6: Siege doesn't have much content, then yeah, I hope they get called out for it. Seems like it would be deserving.

Score seems fair to me. It's not their fault the industry doesn't believe in scores below 5. A 7, to me, is a solid-to-good game, not a bad or even mediocre one. Perfectly purchasable.

I am not saying that Black Ops III does not have more content, but quantity is not quality. And I am just talking now about the multiplayer portion of the game, anyhow doesn't matter.

And a 7 to you might be a solid-to-good game, but in the eyes of the industry a 7 is often mediocre and often a not-buy game.

Kingsora

I didn't see the point in the deluxe edition either. I don't care about exclusive emotes and I'd rather unlock stuff through my play, not my pay.

If you think about it, it's only one exclusive emote, that's it and the game itself has already a dozen or so emotes. Everything else is unlockable in the game. So yeah the Deluxe edition is a rip-off.

TheRed

I used a Mexican vpn

25 standard 30 Deluxe.

How do you get it for that price maybe my VPN is working wrong but the price I see is £49.99
and I'm in the US so it did change something but definitely not what I want. Yea Hola unblocker isn't working for mexico for me, just gives me Great Britain store instead.

Kingsora

So did literally no one in Europe tried to buy the Season pass on PS4? Because I just can't find it.

Impulsor

So, I've been playing for 6 hours straight with friends. I suck at this game bad on PC, but what ever. The T21 is a beast.

I'm having too much fun.

PrankT

Here is a video of two of the exclusive emotes, I made.

The victory one is poopy though.

https://youtu.be/kOvKyh7C1bs
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom