• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

I am a little confused as to how this game keeps being categorized as "simple" and "casual-friendly". Is it just because there's a generous auto-aim, or that there aren't multiple levels of weapon customization?

I'm by no means an FPS expert, but I'd estimate that I'm about 25-50% better than a casual player. I still get slaughtered wholesale, and rarely come out with a K/D above 1. In the 20v20 modes it's not uncommon for me to have less than 10 kills and probably a dozen deaths. My uber-casual friends who can only barely line up a shot sometimes are going to be flat-out embarassed by their performance. I don't see how they are going to have fun when death comes so frequently and dying often means trudging back across the map 200 yards towards an objective. The sheer number of players and the distances at which most weapons are effective means you can often go down quick before you even know what's happening. To me, a casual friendly game means that you might die frequently, but that it's easy to get back in the action. In Battlefront that's exceedingly difficult.

If Battlefront had a generous lock-on system like GTA5 Online I'd say it was casual-friendly. But people who aren't comfortable with fast-paced FPS/TPS games are probably going to have a bad time.

Maybe in the more small-scale engagements the aim-assist shines and makes things more palatable, but Walker Assault and Supremacy games don't really seem to support casual play. Unless of course you mean that casual players will just hang back and snipe kills rather than actually contest objectives.

Servers in meltdown.

giphy.gif

Shenmue

Banned
Wow so many people at Best Buy trying to pick up this game. Also there are a huge amount of people getting that ugly vader ps4. I'm surprised.

I am a little confused as to how this game keeps being categorized as "simple" and "casual-friendly". Is it just because there's a generous auto-aim, or that there aren't multiple levels of weapon customization?

I'm by no means an FPS expert, but I'd estimate that I'm about 25-50% better than a casual player. I still get slaughtered wholesale, and rarely come out with a K/D above 1. In the 20v20 modes it's not uncommon for me to have less than 10 kills and probably a dozen deaths. My uber-casual friends who can only barely line up a shot sometimes are going to be flat-out embarassed by their performance. I don't see how they are going to have a good time when death comes so frequently and dying often means trudging back across the map 300 yards towards an objective. The sheer number of players and the distances at which most weapons are effective means you can often go down quick before you even know what's happening.

If Battlefront had a generous lock-on system like GTA5 Online I'd say it was casual-friendly. But people who aren't comfortable with fast-paced FPS/TPS games are probably going to have a bad time.

What game modes? The 20 vs 20 I played were all objective based and K/D ratio didnt truly matter.

There is new stuff, like the grenade launcher and the rocket launcher (based on M79 Grenade Launcher and RPG-7, respectively. Compare to E-11 which is based on the Sten SMG or the Rebel's blaster rifle (A280C?) which is based on AR-15/M16.)

But basing things to prequels wouldn't mean there's more variety, as the prequels didn't really have anything that the originals had, things just looked a bit different. At least when it comes to weapons, the prequels do feature more vehicles, like the lovely AAT tank.

Being limited to the OT-like equipment isn't a problem, as long as the style is kept, like DICE has. If no liberties would be taken, that might be an issue (like, dealing with AT-ST without rockets).

Functions for new weapons/non-blaster weapons can be stolen from previous SW games... but whether those mesh with blasters is another matter. I personally never though the Flechette gun or the rapid fire gun from Jedi Outcast as Star Wars weapons.

(I never liked the hovertanks and other vehicles not seen in the films that Battlefront 1/2 had. They never felt like Star Wars vehicles, IMO.)

I mostly meant the movies themselves, not the eras. If you focused too much on the movies and what was in them you gonna get a limited experience. It seems like it might be a decision they made.

If they don't look like a star wars weapon they can make it look like one. SWs is a very large universe so I would expect some creative liberty was given when making weapons and vehicles that never was in the movies and most serve gameplay functions. Also I expect the rebels to have some military vehicles I mean you are fighting a galactic government and the rebels own fucking giant spaceships they better own some tanks.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How could they not know about this error? This is getting so old.

border

What game modes? The 20 vs 20 I played were all objective based and K/D ratio didnt truly matter.

Oh, I recognize that K/D doesn't really matter to your team's overall success in Supremacy and Walker Assault. It's a matter of just feeling like I'm spending a lot more time dying and walking back to an objective than I am actually engaging in combat. Because the penalty for death is just that you get spawned far away from the action, there's this sense that you spend more time in transit than you actually spend doing stuff that makes a difference.

Snaku

Banned
How could they not know about this error? This is getting so old.

Reading through old threads about this error, seems to plague a lot of EA games on ps4. Solution seems to be calling Sony and getting a refund and then buying the damn thing again. Fuck this shit.

Oh, I recognize that K/D doesn't really matter to your team's overall success in Supremacy and Walker Assault. It's a matter of just feeling like I'm spending a lot more time dying and walking back to an objective than I am actually engaging in combat. Because the penalty for death is just that you get spawned far away from the action, there's this sense that you spend more time in transit than you actually spend doing stuff that makes a difference.

Oh ok, yah I felt the same way but I'm sorta use to it because it seemed to happen a lot in DICE multiplayer games. I ususlly spawned on my partner (if I had one).

Tubie

Reading through old threads about this error, seems to plague a lot of EA games on ps4. Solution seems to be calling Sony and getting a refund and then buying the damn thing again. Fuck this shit.

Are you fucking kidding me?

I hope you are.

I'm gonna go nuts if I have to call for a refund.

border

Oh ok, yah I felt the same way but I'm sorta use to it because it seemed to happen a lot in DICE multiplayer games. I ususlly spawned on my partner (if I had one).

Which brings me to a another weird point -- if I play solo in matchmaking games why is it that I sometimes have a partner and sometimes I don't? If I'm not in a party can I just pick a random player to be my partner? When I go into the "Pick a Partner" interface I don't see the option to choose anyone.

If a game is supposed to be "casual", to me that should me it's relatively easy to at least get back to a place on the map where there's some action. Maybe I'm not used to any of this since I never played Battlefront, but even with the partner system it often feels like it can take way too long to get to a contested objective.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

No. Completely unacceptable. They can give me a refund and go f*** themselves.

My brain can't process these Endor screenshots. Just NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, with smoke coming out of my ears.

Consider me well and truly gobsmacked.

border

I can't find games on the Xbox One version.

Anyone having trouble getting in a game on xbox one??

same for me. It was flawless literally right before it launch for everyone. I had been playing the trial for hours

I have been playing the EA Access trial since around 10:30 PM and have had no issues getting into the game before midnight.

I will jump back in after 5-10 minutes and see if there are any problems. Hopefully the onslaught of new players hasn't completely murdered the servers.

ShutterMunster

So I bought Battlefront days ago from my phone. I added it to my download queue and thought everything was fine and dandy. I turn on my PS4 and see that there was a SYSTEM UPDATE and my PS4 never went online to preload it. What a fail. Whatever, I have an early call time anyway. Enjoy it kids!

border

Hero Hunt is fucking garbage.

Heroes VS Villains is pretty good.

Hero Hunt is embarrassingly bad. I can't believe that mode even made it through playtesting and QA.

You can wipe 90% of a Hero/Villain's health bar, but then lose out because you died and somebody else got the killing shot on them. I think it would have been much better if the Hero/Villain was on a static rotation and everybody could get to be the Hero at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom