• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

I agree that this game is lacking in content, but do we just review games by the amount of shit stuffed in it now? Figures why Fallout still got great reviews despite the mountain list of issues with the game.
If Titanfall could review in the high 80s (which I agree with), I see no reason Battlefront can't. I'm more worried about what's actually in there being good. I have a weird sense of value when it comes to games, though. I never really play anything long term, I tend to move from game to game.

I'm okay with paying full price for a game, playing it for two weeks, and never touching it again.

22456752323_ac3a24f4fb_o.png
glassesemuix.gif

And if you play in third person, in my opinion the PS4 is also the better choice. Third person plays much better with a controller in comparison with a KB/M

You're implying the game can't be played competitively with a controller on PC? It's how I plan to play.

Guess I'll find out.

Vegito

Banned
Still cant get into a match of fighter squadron on xbox one. This is disappointing. sitting in a lobby atm 5 players on one team 6 on the other and it still wants 2 more players da faq EA. Fix this shit.

Still cant get into a match of fighter squadron on xbox one. This is disappointing. sitting in a lobby atm 5 players on one team 6 on the other and it still wants 2 more players da faq EA. Fix this shit.

The game isn't out yet and I bet a lot of people used their trials up.

And 2 of them suck

Wow really? Which two are good/which aren't?

Hoth and Endor are pretty great, because both are wonderful uses of set pieces. Endor is currently imbalanced (I've never won as an Imperial) but man, is it fun.

Tattooine is middle-of-the-road, and I agree, I don't like Sullust that much at all. Its layout is bit boring and feels like a mid-tier Battlefield map (Kharg Island comes to mind).

border

Everybody who had EA Access already used up their 10 hours, and everyone else hasn't even bought the game yet.

robot

Does anyone who played Early Access know how parties work? If a group of 6 friends play, will they all be put on the same team or are only "partners" teamed up?

No private matches is weird which is why I'm wondering what other restrictions are in place.

Still its a sign of bad match making. The game isnt even rebalancing the teams.

Yeah, this was a legit issue during the trial. Something is fucked with their balancing--had a number of 3 v 6 "Heroes vs Villains" matches, as well as other matches where players dropped out and were never replaced adequately.

Does anyone who played Early Access know how parties work? If a group of 6 friends play, will they all be put on the same team or are only "partners" teamed up?

Partners (which are basically squads) are 2 person only. However, you can supposedly join a game with up to 8 people and it will try to put you all on the same team--but your own squad (spawning on a teammate) is only you and one other person.

Still its a sign of bad match making. The game isnt even rebalancing the teams.

of all MP FPS games I played, matchmaking has been useless. Regardless if it was COD, Battlefield, Halo, Gilligan island sailor wars, etc, etc etc....

yea, I was kidding on the Gilligan Island one.

BBboy20

zozTa6.gif

holy shit!
Can do this in the other Battlefronts?

If Titanfall could review in the high 80s (which I agree with), I see no reason Battlefront can't. I'm more worried about what's actually in there being good. I have a weird sense of value when it comes to games, though. I never really play anything long term, I tend to move from game to game.

I'm okay with paying full price for a game, playing it for two weeks, and never touching it again.
I'm still peevy about them releasing the final BF3 map pack while also announcing BF4. Was like enjoy the last map to M4 and AK while we try encouraging you to buy our not-so-leaping sequel with very similar M4 and AK shooting action instead of just letting our previous game speak for itself for some time before really thinking about what the future of the franchise should be with the new tech no longer holding us back.

Though, I then tried stepping into the shoes of a Battlefront fan since the previous two games weren't that far apart...then again, being younger, time seem to move slowly as well, hence the lack of concern of games being released at short intervals back then...though, you can tell the "cracks being painted over" syndrome some current franchises have, not really reaching the fullest potential they could have....great, now I'm just being rambling.

Woorloog

Banned
of all MP FPS games I played, matchmaking has been useless. Regardless if it was COD, Battlefield, Halo, Gilligan island sailor wars, etc, etc etc....

yea, I was kidding on the Gilligan Island one.

Halo 3's matchmaking produced reasonable results at that game's height.
At least in Ranked modes.
Sufficient amount of players, with good (or at least decent) skill rating system and matchmaking that prioritized skill matching should produce reasonably balanced games. (Also must assume no guest players as they screw up the matchmaker as they have zero skill and it isn't tracked.)

IIRC, COD nor Battlefield never utilized skill matching or had it set incredibly loose, while Halos after Halo 3 either reduced its importance or just threw it away or limited it to certain modes. (One reason i disliked Halo Reach, carrying your team isn't fun, and shooting bad enemies isn't fun either.)

Unfortunately most devs don't give a shit about skill matching's effect and effectiveness.

CoLaN

I'm playing right now, this game looks absolutely stunning, and it's really, really fun.

Just took 3 screenshots, max details

Woorloog

Banned
Your getting no argument from me on that point.

I very much believe skill ranking systems (with or without visible skill ratings) improve games. Let poor players play with poor players, and good players with good players.

No noob likes it when a pro stomps everyone in the game blindfolded. (That pro might like what he does but i'd imagine he enjoys a challenge more. Or at very least he should enjoy a challenge more.)

I'd imagine this helps accessibility as well, when you don't have to worry about getting stomped right away.

antitrop

8/10 from Polygon

In a sea of multiplayer-focused shooters, Star Wars Battlefront distinguishes itself as much by what it does as what it doesn't, and that comes at a price. Its old school simplicity doesn't always mesh with its attempts to bring those ideas into 2015, and it lacks some of those back-of-the-box bullet points that most modern AAA shooters wouldn't be caught dead without.

That said: This in a game where you crest a frozen ridge on the surface of Hoth and see a thousand lasers turn the sky into a disco and an AT-AT into scrap metal. If a little of the fat has to be trimmed for more people to have that experience, then blaster holes for bullet points seems like a fair trade.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/16/9747556/star-wars-battlefront-review-xbox-one-playstation-4-PC

manfestival

i feel like a fool for going out there to buy this at midnight... totally wish my computer wasnt having issues. otherwise this would be instant purchase on pc

Ivan

I bought it on US PSN, but I'd like to play on my main UK account.

It says it unlocks in 47 minutes, is it OK to start playing on UK account at that time?

PS: i wonder if we're gonna get some ps4 avatars. Some new ones are starting to arrive.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Oh man, I wants to jump in this game but I needs to finish Fallout 4 first. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom