• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szeth

Heroes vs Villains is the best. And they should make hero hunt most damage done to hero instead of last hit, would be way better.

TheFuzz

What's up with the ps4 controller colors? Mine goes yellow only during the game and does all sorts of stuff during the battles?

JackHerer

Is this game playable on PC with a gamepad (as in, can I be somewhat competitive) or am I going to get wrecked by everyone using m/kb?

Maybe I should consider a steam controller. No interest in playing this on console for some reason.

Is this game playable on PC with a gamepad (as in, can I be somewhat competitive) or am I going to get wrecked by everyone using m/kb?

Maybe I should consider a steam controller. No interest in playing this on console for some reason.

You would have no problem flying or using the vehicles with a gamepad. You will get wrecked trying to use it for guns though.

J-Rzez

Out of the way here first, game is lacking content in the form of meaningful unlocks, as in I'd prefer more main weapons. And that special edition blaster is bullshit to give away at rank 1, way overpowered.

That said, maybe I'm getting old, but I'm enjoying the casual fun of the game. It's not competitive at all, but it's just fun. When I unlock everything I can see myself coming back to play here and there, but I don't think this has the staying factor of a competitive skill based game especially with the lack of variety in main weapons. Don't care for those power up weapons much and how they're used but that just maybe me.

Sound for this game is on another level. Best sound to date.

Between this and of all things BO3 (which is getting hated on) I'm pretty content with shooters for now, just waiting on titanfall2 or something like BF5/Socom (I wish).

I wish there was a playlist that only allowed first person mode. I really enjoy using it as I feel it adds to the immersion but there's really no point using it when there's the possibility that other people are using third person mode. Third person has a huge FOV advantage.

Yooo, Jawa gun on Blast is so much fun. I play like the biggest wuss, hide behind something if someone pops on radar. Wait for them to walk by and come behind for a one shot kill, lol.

I played for 3ish hours today with some friends. It's fun and looks/sounds great, but man the game seems pretty thin already. Not just the content, but the combat depth is fairly shallow.

Looking forward to playing more, but I know this isn't going to keep my interest for months.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Love the game so far. This year is been great with multiplayer games. I'll probably play Battlefront, Rocket League and Splatoon for a long, long time.

taoofjord

Man, I was really digging this during the beta. I now realize that I was just swept away by the art, sound, and accuracy to the OT films. The simple gameplay just isn't engaging me anymore. Ugh... And this was my most anticipated game of the season by far. At least I have Bloodborne DLC to look forward to.

MAX PAYMENT

I wish there was a playlist that only allowed first person mode. I really enjoy using it as I feel it adds to the immersion but there's really no point using it when there's the possibility that other people are using third person mode. Third person has a huge FOV advantage.

I'm far more precise in FP mode.

This game is refreshing. A MP game focused on the gameplay and not spending hours in the menus with customization and unlocks. I

I do realize it has those things but it's not the focus compared to something like CoD.

Not to mention the insane atmosphere in this game. Goodness.

Oh and the graphics...

Rudiano

Banned
Why is flying so shit? If there is like 3 enemies in the sky vs you, you have 0 chance of winning and taking them out. There is no maneuver to dodge incoming missiles (except the d-button press which takes time to charge), I remember in Warhawk this was no the case and a good pilot could take them all out. It needs more work

SegaShack

My Xbox one install is stuck at 20% and I have a message that will pop up saying "installation has stopped". Any suggestions on what to do? Was really looking forward to the game.

James93

So is the general GAF consensus that the reviewers are giving this game a hard time that it doesn't deserve just because of content?

I think the reviews are fair for the most part. Its a solid game but the fact that their major game modes have 4 maps each is just plan unacceptable. Its very simple but that isn't a bad thing.

SeanR1221

Eh I disagree. I do much better in 1st person. Easier to aim IMO

Ferrio

Banned
Why is flying so shit? If there is like 3 enemies in the sky vs you, you have 0 chance of winning and taking them out. There is no maneuver to dodge incoming missiles (except the d-button press which takes time to charge), I remember in Warhawk this was no the case and a good pilot could take them all out. It needs more work

You can out maneuver missiles without the directional pad evades. Your heads up will show the direction the missile is coming from. You can even fly in a canyon and do the classic "missile explodes on side of cliff" maneuver.

Air powerups are the worst because you can clear the skies of fighter and you don't have time to go attack ground targets before an enemy flies in. It's like in BF3 when people in jets only killed people in jets and you began to wonder what the point was.

Air vs Air is fine, your main objective on walker maps isn't taking out ground units (though you can). Your main objective is keeping skies clear, so when the walkers go vulnerable you can do strafing run on them undisturbed or visa versa. Any ground damage you do is just icing on the cake.

Tawpgun

Balance in this game is all over the place.

Vehicle powerups are way to frequent. You can just spam the shit out of AT AT/AT ST.

Air powerups are the worst because you can clear the skies of fighter and you don't have time to go attack ground targets before an enemy flies in. It's like in BF3 when people in jets only killed people in jets and you began to wonder what the point was.

Walker Assault on Tattooine is completley fucked. The imperials can DOMINATE up until the last phase but then in the last phase they get NO air vehicles while rebels keep their fighters and get two snow speeders.

Yoday

I think the reviews are fair for the most part. Its a solid game but the fact that their major game modes have 4 maps each is just plan unacceptable. Its very simple but that isn't a bad thing.
I agree. I have been having a blast with the game since early access started, and I fully expected around a 70-75 metacritic. The game has a lack of depth and a lack of content, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a blast to play. I expect I will be playing it here and there for a very long time, but I would still rate it somewhere in the 75 range. I love that it is simple to pick up and play, as I don't really get into MP games much, so it can be frustrating coming back to more complex games after a break. This game is for the casual MP gamer, and I love it for that.

I'm far more precise in FP mode.
Eh I disagree. I do much better in 1st person. Easier to aim IMO
The zoom helps but I don't think it's worth giving up the situational awareness. At least imo.

Also it's far harder to use cover properly in first person mode. The shoulder toggle in third person mode allows you to see round corners as well as cover most of your body while still shooting, something made harder in first person mode.

I've played a bit on PC and on Xbox One (EA access trial).

I am loving the game, I'm completely okay with it being "casual". The game is downright fun and more about gameplay and insane visuals. It excels at both.

For some reason, this game feels better with a controller. Its really strange because I always prefer FPS on PC for mouse controls, but I'm just really enjoying the X1 controller for this game. The rumble effects mixed with everything else including the visuals and sound, it just feels right. I also thing the whole card thing lends itself better to the controller setup, the game feels like it was built for a controller. Making me rethink possibly going for the console version.

I did try a controller on PC, and I think its bugged currently. The aiming was overly sensitive and didn't feel the same as it did on Xbox One. Also L-stick click for sprint was not working. Something was definitely up.

Seriously considering switching to the console version, which is way out of my normal thinking. Also doesnt hurt that I have friends to play with on console, and none on pc...

B-Dex

Why do people on pc play with fish eye headache inducing FOV. Can barely watch people stream the pc version. How can you even play properly?

Finally got the jetpack, games are definitely going to feel different once more people start reaching that level! Hoping I can reach level 15 tomorrow, looking forward to trying out those trait cards!

Roussow

Anyone else feel Walker Assault was made too easy for the rebels? I thought it was more balanced in the beta. Now it seems way too easy.

Haven't played the full retail game yet -- but after spending about 6 hours with the Walker Assault, it became much easier for the Rebels, it felt like a fair fight, it's just you had a more specific objective with the Rebels. To hear they made it easier for the Rebels seems fucked up, I swear those who claimed the Rebels had it so tough simply didn't play enough of the game.

Hikami

Not enjoying this as much as the beta..(and I played that for like 10 hours without ever getting bored)
Everything is so unbalanced. Spawns are fucked up; I keep spawning in front of an enemy or the other way around. They made walker assault too easy for the rebels and it's pretty boring to play without the jetpack.. just have to endure the slog to rank 15 for now I guess. Hope it gets better once I have that again.

Anyone else feel Walker Assault was made too easy for the rebels? I thought it was more balanced in the beta. Now it seems way too easy.

I've taken down the walkers using tow cables twice already.

I couldn't even pull it off once in the Beta.

It does feel cool as shit though, so I'm not complaining.

Woo-Fu

Banned
by the end of the beta rebels were winning pretty often but DICE still rebalanced it based off of the early complaining from the first 2 days.

Not entirely. The rest of the anti-vehicle weapons are in game and the walkers have weak points on the bottom.

But what about the way the rebels were winning those matches from beta? Orbital strikes. Well, guess what got nerfed vs. walkers? That's right, orbital strikes.

Now it is more about which side puts up the best fight instead of whether or not the people who get strikes on the rebels are smart enough to use them properly.

antonz

They hit Walker Assault with a Superlaser powered balance bat and its become stupidly easy for the Rebels. Everyone has 2-3 ion weapons as a rebel with cards that all hit the AT-AT hard. They made the AT-AT much more vulnerable as well.

I have seen rebel teams take both AT-AT on Hoth over half dead before they even get to the 2nd terminal. Hoth Games don't even get to the 3rd terminal with a skilled rebel game. Endor is worse with only 1 AT-AT they can get the AT-AT damaged enough at the first terminal that the game is basically over besides screwing around for the inevitable 2nd terminal attack. It went from needing a decent rebel team to win to needing chimps pressing keys on the keyboard to win. The empire needs to be a much better team to have any chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom