• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

My daughter's a new Star Wars fan and she's having a field day with the game.

Especially Heroes vs Villains mode.

mileS

Holding off on Walker Assault due to all the feedback I heard. Not like I mind that much as I'm having a blast with the other modes.

Tawpgun

You can out maneuver missiles without the directional pad evades. Your heads up will show the direction the missile is coming from. You can even fly in a canyon and do the classic "missile explodes on side of cliff" maneuver.

Air vs Air is fine, your main objective on walker maps isn't taking out ground units (though you can). Your main objective is keeping skies clear, so when the walkers go vulnerable you can do strafing run on them undisturbed or visa versa. Any ground damage you do is just icing on the cake.

Fair enough. Doesn't stop tatooine wa for being really really dumb in that last phase

Dr Prob

Banned
Great stuff

Thanks babe.

Why is flying so shit?

If I were to hazard a guess, it would probably be that they wanted to keep it as accessible as possible. There's quite the history of people having a hard time flying in DICE games
*cough*Elzar
or just being totally outclassed by the really good pilots. That wouldn't be an ideal type of experience for someone who doesn't really play these games regularly and just wants to fly around in an x-wing for a bit, so they drastically simplified it.

All that said, I've actually kind of enjoyed dabbling in the air-only mode.

Delt31

I really like the game BUT i'm having a hard time feeling like I'm contributing on the bigger modes. For example, I feel like I'm part of the herd, getting to the top of the mountain and then getting killed b/c the action is so crazy. Any suggestions on how to make yourself more useful or feel like you're actually doing something to help? I understand you can just continue shooting as many guys as possible but it doesn't feel nearly as strategic or satisfying as the blast mode (which has it's own problems but I feel like I'm actually making a difference).

RyanW

Didn't realize you can upgrade charge cards to have longer active times. That's pretty cool

EDIT: Oh you can upgrade all cards. Non Charge cards can be upgraded to have less cooldown time

Vinc

Spent the whole night playing this and I can't get enough. Holy shit. I like it so much more than I ever thought I would. Incredible game, adrenaline pumping really. Walker Assault has to be my favorite mode, but I didn't try them all yet. I played with a friend and we were on opposing teams. I was a rebel and it was 9 vs 20 for the first few minutes of the match, which made our team fall behind quickly. People then joined and we started kicking ass, but the AT-ATs were too close for us to really have a chance, but we managed to destroy one AT-AT and get the other one to 10% health RIGHT AT THE LAST SECOND.

Infuriating, but fucking amazing. This game is awesome. Goddamn.

j-wood

God, this game makes me miss the fucking skill based rankings/match making systems of call of duty/halo.

I've played 11 games. 11 losses. 1 of those matches was close, the rest were total blowouts. I'm not amazing at the game, but i'm not terrible either.

antonz

God, this game makes me miss the fucking skill based rankings/match making systems of call of duty/halo.

I've played 11 games. 11 losses. 1 of those matches was close, the rest were total blowouts. I'm not amazing at the game, but i'm not terrible either.

Sounds like crazy bad luck. Over 20 games so far and I'm rocking a 76% win rate

Also the player base for this is utterly garbage at the game. It's always a handful of people beasting and dozens of people going 4-17 or something lol

BHK3

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euy4mpq9d2w&feature=youtu.be

I guess having a 5 day head start has it's perks :B

Also the player base for this is utterly garbage at the game. It's always a handful of people beasting and dozens of people going 4-17 or something lol

Welcome to every battlefield game ever lol, it'll die down when you reach higher ranks, though I think that won't happen for this cause you got the casual star fanatics buying it too.

Kitoro

Question about the season pass.

I've never purchased a season pass for a game before, as I usually complete a game and my interest in playing it further wains long before any significant content from a season pass has ever been delivered.

In this case, though, the content of this game feels so limited that I almost feel like the season pass is required for the full experience.

Now, to my question... Do season passes ever go on sale or drop in price on PSN, or even retail, or is the current MSRP the best deal we'll ever see?

Thanks!

This game needs some patching real soon.

Spawn points are garbage in some of the modes. I've spawned right behind a bunch of dudes, and in front, and got my ass either handed to me or handed their asses to them. I watched as a bunch of my teammates went through the same experience.

The Hero Units are so damn unbalanced it's hilarious. Getting Leia or Han requires putting in far more effort than Boba, who can just coast away when things get rough. Vader and Luke are decent, but Palpy is just inaccurate all of the time.

The last unlock weapon is incredibly OP. Walk up and shoot. It's a race to just use that weapon in multiplayer, but that could change as people figure out different strats.

The jetpack should really be an early unlock. People who get above the battle get a clear advantage. Not being able to access that area, shoot them, or even look at them funny until you reach Rank 13 is awful.

The Hero Units in Fighter Squadron feel too meaty for my taste. Like, they have way too much health. But maybe that's the nature of the game.

Voice chat. Some of you don't care, and that's perfectly fine, but I can tell you I've been through many matches where a quick comment could have saved the game. Sure, you might get some racist kid, but that's what mute/mute all is for.

Weapons should have different effects, like stopping power or something.

I don't know. Those are just my observations so far after putting in a bunch of hours.

Game desperately needs to switch sides after a win and scramble on map change

And this. On the smaller, less played modes, this is going to be an issue.

antonz

Question about the season pass.

I've never purchased a season pass for a game before, as I usually complete a game and my interest in playing it further wains long before any significant content from a season pass has ever been delivered.

In this case, though, the content of this game feels so limited that I almost feel like the season pass is required for the full experience.

Now, to my question... Do season passes ever go on sale or drop in price on PSN, or even retail, or is the current MSRP the best deal we'll ever see?

Thanks!
they might go onsale eventually. not too soon as they wont do any significant sales until most expansions are out. That said you could VPN the season pass for only 34 bucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euy4mpq9d2w&feature=youtu.be

I guess having a 5 day head start has it's perks :B

Welcome to every battlefield game ever lol, it'll die down when you reach higher ranks, though I think that won't happen for this cause you got the casual star fanatics buying it too.
Yeah, its kinda sickening watching the whole team run away from the control point 8 guys are taking over.

The nice thing is a lot of people run right past the hero pickups so I've been getting those a lot.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
WTF at IGN's review saying poor original score. Are you serious!?! LOL
Say what you will about the game and its modes but the sound and score is fucking ace. LOL

James93

A couple issues that need fixed.

Walker Assault is now pretty much in the rebel favor, you can easily destroy an ATAT with two rounds of bombing.

Grenade spam is horrible. The cooldown is way to quick.

Hero's need some balancing.

Tawpgun

Lol we were like 20 seconds from winning supremacy and we got ANOTHER cap point and it extended our time.

That seems counter intuitive lol

Whenever I start the game on PS4 it says I have to play the Darth Vader mission while it installs in the background

But I already installed the disc and the 1.02 update

Edit: Oh I'm stupid I need to play the mission for a couple of minutes

antonz

What makes it shallow, just curious, have not had a chance to play. Never tried any of the battlefront games. Have over 200 hours on BF4 but put it down months ago.

Map variety is probably the biggest issue people have right now. The completely broken Walker Assault though is a pretty big issue considering its intended as the flagship mode

WTF at IGN's review saying poor original score. Are you serious!?! LOL
Say what you will about the game and its modes but the sound and score is fucking ace. LOL

I said it in the other thread: it's obvious they're talking about DICE's supplementary soundtrack (plays in some of the menus, for instance), not John Williams :p

Delt31

Something is very wrong with flying. Tips on making this feel natural? Already inverted but something about controls on right stick is odd. Changed it to left but still feels weird with the other stick doing acceleration. Should be on a button no?

anothertech

After a good full day of game time with this, almost all in one mode, I have decided this is quite possibly the best looking game I've played this gen.

Pure arcade fun found here. Loving it.

Loving the game but i'm getting the same vibe as all other FPS games I play...which is I will never be good and this game will not cater to casual fps gamers.

Something is very wrong with flying. Tips on making this feel natural? Already inverted but something about controls on right stick is odd. Changed it to left but still feels weird with the other stick doing acceleration. Should be on a button no?

Invert and Southpaw, which it sounds like you've done. You just have to get used to using the right stick to control speed/power. Slow down to maneuver better/get more powerful shots, speed up whenever you're pursuing or need to run away.

I usually roll with it about 50% much of the time.

mileS

anyone know a good Gold headset custom profile for this game? I tried Far Cry 4's but parts of it sound muffled to me. I switched it back to Batman AK for now. Sounds amazing but I'm wondering if there's a better all around preset to pick.

ironcreed

Banned
It is fun for what it is and I will get some enjoyment out of it. But to be honest, I would rather be playing Black Ops III and Halo 5.

rav

So we can't host dedicated servers (PC)?
Dedicated servers are only EA run?
What a bummer, I want to run one for work, as they used to all play the original battlefront on LAN. (and quite a bit of BF1&2)

Boogdud

Yep, and I keep getting stuck on a team full of 4-17 people. Not very fun.

I apologize for probably having been on your team. I was barely scraping 1:1 most games, and some getting down in the 4-9 when you could tell the other team was coordinated.

Then I started playing fighter squadron or whatever, and never had a game where I wasn't in first place, and would go 20k-15a-1d on a regular basis.

Btw the empire is severely outgunned in that mode. The interceptor and regular tie fighter get eaten alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom