• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man i hope they change that Party System ASAP.

It needs to be less clunky, way faster.

Just use the Battlefield 4 Squad Up function. I invite my friends and when i join a match everyone will follow me automaticly without confirming a tiny questions asking you if you really want to join.. i mean cmon i invited my friends for a reason.

Had a lot of fun with this last night

Tight controls, good performance. Very pretty

Seems like an excellent casual Star Wars shooter

perfect holiday game for quick sessions.

Agree with the squad changes. Is it only 2 man pairing at the moment?

Man i hope they change that Party System ASAP.

It needs to be less clunky, way faster.

Just use the Battlefield 4 Squad Up function. I invite my friends and when i join a match everyone will follow me automaticly without confirming a tiny questions asking you if you really want to join.. i mean cmon i invited my friends for a reason.

This. And looks like you can only have one partner?

Either way, my buddies and I partied up for a reason, don't inform me that they joined a game, just put us all in the same game automatically.

Although it does hold spots open for your party members, but still!

Either way, my buddies and I partied up for a reason, don't inform me that they joined a game, just put us all in the same game automatically.

The buddy system thing is pretty cool

Sure its not a full squad but thats what party chat is for.

Day 2, can't find a full Drop Zone match on PC, bad sign.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug somewhere in there. I ran into a similar thing where it kept putting me in empty Walker Assault maps by myself, took 2-3 tries before it then placed me in a pretty full map.

I'm going to guess the auto server browser might be having some issues on PC.

I actually feel like this is ok. I mean, it's not hard to just click join and I've had times where I ask for someone to wait a while because I'm changing my loadout or something and they join a server (taking me with them) because they didn't hear me, or like true friends, just wanted to piss me off.

But that's the point - it's not true except in modes where you want more kills than deaths because, by definition, that's the point (like team deathmatch). In Domination I'd go 12-15 but get 15 caps and you can bet I helped my team more than the 15-3 guy who got two caps.
I'm usually the guy on drop zone with the most pods defended from killing the enemies while they try to cap it. You can be a slayer and a huge assest to your team if you can stay alive enough and play objectives.

Hari Seldon

I played this last night on PS4 after not really liking the PC beta and god damn I had so much fun. Reminds me of wolfenstein on the OG Xbox, just pure shooter fun.

I played this last night on PS4 after not really liking the PC beta and god damn I had so much fun. Reminds me of wolfenstein on the OG Xbox, just pure shooter fun.

Its mindless, chaotic, and Star Wars

Can you think of anything better for holiday pulp entertainment?

It plays great too. Dice nailed it despite the ridiculously short dev time (which probably explains the light content)

Props to them

TheGrue

Trying to figure out if I want to buy this and on what system. I own PS4, XBO, and a PC with a 980 and I know it will look the best on the PC, but just wondering if maybe the PS4 will be where it's at for finding matches.

was playing a walker assault that had some bug that wouldnt let the game end

top player had something like 300 kills by the time i got bored and left

v1lla21

Loving the game so far. Missions are really fun. If anyone wants to run some co-op later add me on psn. It's the same as my gaf name.

was playing a walker assault that had some bug that wouldnt let the game end

top player had something like 300 kills by the time i got bored and left

I've seen this happen twice so far. I guess the match would just never end since the number of Y-wings just kept going up. I guess it would be a good way to do challenges or just grind for points.

jeemer

A bad kdr means you are poor though, in either case.

It can - but again not necessarily, not as an overall stat anyway. Maybe you just have no regard for kdr. My kdr is awful in battlefield - when I'm not playing the objective I'm often playing c4 quad / repair tool kills only for laughs. My nephew also plays on my account.

The argument against making the kdr obvious in objective based games/modes is that it makes people focus on that stat instead of the objective. I can't comment on your COD statement as I never played the series for longer than 2 minutes!

Btw anyone experienced the Bug in Walker Assault on the map Sellust when the game spawns you in the deathzone and the only thing happening is everyone dying?

They need to add XP gains for partial survival mode completion

WE got near the end and got nothing

You could at least throw me a bone for my time

Survival mode is very fun btw

Btw anyone experienced the Bug in Walker Assault on the map Sellust when the game spawns you in the deathzone and the only thing happening is everyone dying?

No, is that still in the game? I've spawned in that location (from that video that was around) but never had that problem.

It is pretty easy to blend in with the foliage as a rebel on Endor. A nice touch.

It's nice...for the Rebels. Imperials are at an inherent disadvantage with their white armor and then you have the map design, which really seems to favor the Rebels. I do think it will be easier, especially reaching the tree top bases, once everyone has the Jump Pack.

lol

xFactor got a 62 player killstreak with Boba Fett

Game's balance issues are really starting to show, hope they're working on that as top priority.

How do you even balance hero mode

Some game modes you just have to embrace the chaos and live in it

Do you even get points for completing the whole thing? I thought someone said you got no XP for all the single player/coop content.

Well thats a bummer. Should at least give you something

It's nice...for the Rebels. Imperials are at an inherent disadvantage with their white armor and then you have the map design, which really seems to favor the Rebels. I do think it will be easier, especially reaching the tree top bases, once everyone has the Jump Pack.

Will be interesting to see everyone running around with the Shadow Trooper xD

Yeah totally agree

Not sure how they are gonna solve this one

Its a clear and distinct advantage depending on the map

Hari Seldon

Do you even get points for completing the whole thing? I thought someone said you got no XP for all the single player/coop content.

You get currency which you use to buy the unlocks, but not XP. You actually get more currency if you complete the bonus star stuff which is cool.

ironcreed

Banned

That will definitely change things up. But at any rate, I think it is neat even when facing those odds. It's also just fitting, if you think about it.

I got the game yesterday and have been loving it so far. Walker Assault is definitely my favorite so far but there are some definite balancing issues that can be frustrating such as the Imperials having a very hard time winning on Endor.

I've been trying to go through all the different modes and I've found that I don't really enjoy most of the modes with smaller player counts like Droid Run and CTF. Hero Battle is just a missed opportunity to copy the mode from BF2 where it was just a wacky game of all the heroes vs. all the villains and I hope they add that in after more heroes are added.

How do you even balance hero mode

Some game modes you just have to embrace the chaos and live in it

lol

That's not how game design works. Some simple ways to balance Fett without making him less fun to play as:

-Reduce how long you can use your Jet Pack OR increase the recharge time and/or recharge delay
-Increase recharge time for rocket

I actually like how you can use the Jet Pack for a long time, so I'd rather see a nerf to the recharge speed and delay. I know I've gotten in hairy situations and was saved by the fast recharge.

Will be interesting to see everyone running around with the Shadow Trooper xD

Shadow Trooper can be really damned hard to see, for sure.

derFeef

That will definitely change things up. But at any rate, I think it is neat even when facing those odds. It's also just fitting, if you think about it.

I agree with this. Supremacy is even weirder because it's at night. I was constantly stopping and looking while playing a trooper. Then you see some movement up in the trees and spot the pesky Rebel!

I'm only echoing what has been said countless times in this thread, but I am having so much fun with Battlefront. There's strategy behind it, sure, but I also love how accessible it is. I've only played Blast mode so far and I couldn't put the game down last night! It turned into those "one more watch" ordeals. And dayum, is this game a looker!

Wish this would just unlock already so us in EU/UK can play it.

I tried again via VPN last night, can play laggily over VPN but if I disconnect it origin starts freaking out rather than the game and goes in to offline mode never to connect again.

derFeef

Wish this would just unlock already so us in EU/UK can play it.

I tried again via VPN last night, can play laggily over VPN but if I disconnect it origin starts freaking out rather than the game and goes in to offline mode never to connect again.

Start Origin with VPN.
Wait for BF to be marked as Playable.
Disconnect VPN.
Start the Game.

I'm only echoing what has been said countless times in this thread, but I am having so much fun with Battlefront. There's strategy behind it, sure, but I also love how accessible it is. I've only played Blast mode so far and I couldn't put the game down last night! It turned into those "one more watch" ordeals. And dayum, is this game a looker!

Its fast, its smooth, its pretty, its totally casual

The criticisms stand for sure but hey.. for what it is

Its does it well

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Holy shit I forgot how fast the PS4 installs from the disc. I was putting it in and going to make dinner and it was installed in less than 20 seconds. Patched and all. Insane.

First thing I did was go to settings
(after watching the neat C3PO/R2D2 interactions in their completion)
, and invert/southpaw flight controls.

Did all 5 training missions to 3 star completion, was very tired from a long day and went to bed after 1 Hoth Battle mission.

When I get home this evening I am hopping on multiplayer. This day is going to drag. At least there is GAF, lol.

That Endor speederbike tho!!!

But that's the point - it's not true except in modes where you want more kills than deaths because, by definition, that's the point (like team deathmatch). In Domination I'd go 12-15 but get 15 caps and you can bet I helped my team more than the 15-3 guy who got two caps.

That's not true

I have a 2.4 KDR and I'm always 1st in the leaderboard and objective scoring

I might as well just play TDM if I'm solo. Doesn't matter what game type I'm playing that's what it turns into. CoD and that KDR driven mentality has ruined arcade shooters like this. Very few people actually try and PTFO.

If I'm in a group of players, I'll play objective based game modes.

DICE really needs to up the points you get from playing the objective so there's more incentive to do so. You can get more points by generally staying back and just killing people.

jeemer

I have a 2.4 KDR and I'm always 1st in the leaderboard and objective scoring

It's not really a black and white issue - all we're saying is a high kdr doesn't necessarily mean you're playing the game well.

It's not that you can't have a high kdr and still be playing the objective, it's just a poor measure of performance in an objective based game.

Dave_6

Holy shit I forgot how fast the PS4 installs from the disc. I was putting it in and going to make dinner and it was installed in less than 20 seconds. Patched and all. Insane.

First thing I did was go to settings
(after watching the neat C3PO/R2D2 interactions in their completion)
, and invert/southpaw flight controls.

Did all 5 training missions to 3 star completion, was very tired from a long day and went to bed after 1 Hoth Battle mission.

When I get home this evening I am hopping on multiplayer. This day is going to drag. At least there is GAF, lol.

That Endor speederbike tho!!!

Dumb question, but I'm only seeing the first training mission (on Hoth). How do I do the others?

That's not entirely true. I sometimes hold the line in between our cap spot and theirs. Allowing people to capture/defend our point while I only get kills. It's highly possible that 15-3 guy helped you do the same.

I might as well just play TDM if I'm solo. Doesn't matter what game type I'm playing that's what it turns into. CoD and that KDR driven mentality has ruined arcade shooters like this. Very few people actually try and PTFO.

If I'm in a group of players, I'll play objective based game modes.

DICE really needs to up the points you get from playing the objective so there's more incentive to do so. You can get more points by generally staying back and just killing people.

Surprised to read this, actually. I played Supremacy for a couple hours last night and firefights were always taking place around the capture/defend points and the matches I played in all had a pretty good back-and-forth feel to them.

I was playing alone, but maybe I got lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom