• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

noquarter

Picked up the PS4 copy yesterday and spent some time with it. Played Blast and Fighter Squadron.

Blast is alright. There only being four maps does hurt, but it is still pretty fun. I really am not that good, buy started to get better pretty fast, so will keep playing.

Fighter Squadron though is awesome. Really feels almost like Rogue Squadron but with multiplayer, something I never knew I really wanted. Seems like there are some people that are really bad, hope they keep playing since I really enjoy it. Somehow on this was able to always be number one on my team.

The power ups are pretty good too. Getting the Millennium Falcon was pretty great, got so many kills without being taking out. Slave 1 is alright, guess it not being Falcon hurts it a little in my book.

Best part for me was the match I played where it ended up being me against one other person, the to player of the other team and we just kept going for each other. Was nice to fly through hunting him and blowing up any one in my way on my hunt. We ended up taking each other out about three times in a row each while still being killed in between.

Really hope they add a space map. Just some Frigates and Star Destroyers in space with some planets and a stat nearby with starts throughout the rest, really would feel like Rogue Squadron then.

Is the color of the Twilek head customizable? or blue only?

Game really needs more heroes and villains, don't care if they fit or not with the game as barebones as it is it really needs anything it can get
Heck throw in some rusty old clone era weapons.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I know it's still early days. I sank like 16 hours into the beta and can see myself doing so here. But man this is a weird game. I think it's inherently fun if you're into the source material and simple feedback loop, but I also think the overall vision of the game is unfocused, unoriginal, and at times extremely unbalanced.

My heart says, as much as I'm enjoying it, that the ever so ambiguous "soul" of this game comes more from the source material than the actual game itself. It's an entirely serviceable but wholly unremarkable, at times poorly thought out, video game wrapped in entirely wonderful and beautifully executed franchise. The heart of the game comes from "Star Wars" moments rather than being a remarkable, original, and tightly designed game.

Fighter Squadron is so easy. Go max speed until you find a target (popping speed boost with the TIEs off spawn is useful to get to the action), then slow down when you get behind them. Looping enemies can be followed if you slow down to minimum speed. Just played my first session of the mode to get the "10 player kills in one match" trophy, and dominated neatly every game effortlessly. Always scored above 3000 points, and matches are 5-6 minutes at the longest. Highly recommended for anyone looking to level up or earn credits quickly.

Enjoying the game but I have one major gripe on PS4 they really need to add a additional sensitivity option for vehicles. It's fine when running around on foot but when I step in a vehicle it's way too sensitive, sadly they both share the same setting.

Also wish the fighters controlled a bit more like most games where one stick controls the roll and the other the pitch. I believe I am saying that correctly at least...

Still fun but man I was doing terrible on those tutorials with the vehicles.

I cant believe they didnt include imperial officer skins. Maybe dlc?

I would hope so, especially in consideration of having the different face models.

Finally started the download on Origin, so hopefully a few hours can be put in today. This should be perfect for my working overnights and not having much opportunities during the day to commit to long play sessions.

Minor complaint I have about cosmetics, it's really annoying scrolling through over 50 items to see what outfit and head you want. They should split it up between gender, head, and body.

The game isn't helpful in alleviating that problem. Auto balance and team scramble would have been nice. Communication beyond emotes also would help in telling people to stop deathmatching everything and do the objectives.

As I said I put a lot of time into the beta and it balanced out as it was going along. It really feels like people are trying to get the hang of Supremacy. Walker Assault is a bit of a shitstorm on the new maps at the minute but I'm sure it will balance out as Hoth did in the beta. Hell even in one game I had, we were absolutely annihilated in the first section but rallied back and nearly won the match. So I'm hopeful the more people play, the less deathmatchy it will be.

Plays the game a bit last night at a friends house -PS4. A few interesting things...

Was killed by an AT-AT as i was finishing my tow cable run. Successful release but since you can't control your speeder - as the AT-AT fell forward, it killed me with a heabutt. 3 times in games last night. I found it funny and shitty at the same time. Don't know why, speeder was out of my control and tow cable released automatically as per usual but it fell on top of me as I was coming around -again out of my control.

1st person Speeder Bike on Endor is legit as fuck.

Guns are very Meh for the feedback loop. Doesn't mean recoil or handling - they just feel lackluster.

Sound design is great

Graphics are insane.

Character customization is good.

Flight controls are hahahahahaha! Ultra unsatisfying.

Map design is poor. They look good but could use an overhaul for better flow.

Being a DICE game - once again a twig or other small obstacle can easily get in your way - making regular movement rough at times. Its not Battlefield bad - but enough to warrant a change to collision geometry.

Overall I feel combat is lacking depth. Weapons are too same-y, vehicles leave a lot to be desired, flight is a joke, maps need work and 3rd person view feels a bit awkward for this game and the maps. Controlling, while smooth, is fairly rigid.

Bow down to your Emperor

j38kutQ.jpg

Plays the game a bit last night at a friends house -PS4. A few interesting things...

Was killed by an AT-AT as i was finishing my tow cable run. Successful release but since you can't control your speeder - as the AT-AT fell forward, it killed me with a heabutt. 3 times in games last night. I found it funny and shitty at the same time. Don't know why, speeder was out of my control and tow cable released automatically as per usual but it fell on top of me as I was coming around -again out of my control.

1st person Speeder Bike on Endor is legit as fuck.

Guns are very Meh for the feedback loop. Doesn't mean recoil or handling - they just feel lackluster.

Sound design is great

Graphics are insane.

Character customization is good.

Flight controls are hahahahahaha! Ultra unsatisfying.

Map design is poor. They look good but could use an overhaul for better flow.

Being a DICE game - once again a twig or other small obstacle can easily get in your way - making regular movement rough at times. Its not Battlefield bad - but enough to warrant a change to collision geometry.

Overall I feel combat is lacking depth. Weapons are too same-y, vehicles leave a lot to be desired, flight is a joke, maps need work and 3rd person view feels a bit awkward for this game and the maps. Controlling, while smooth, is fairly rigid.

They updated BF4 a while so that this doesn't happen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm so fucking bad at this. Worse than I was in the beta. Every single engagement feels like I have pea shooter and the enemy has a gun that'll kill me in 2 - 3 hits.

Cake Boss

Banned
I think its a combination of the source material and those cool ass sounds and music plus the satisfying gunplay, added with the simplifications and lack of progression that does it for me and makes this great.

So tired of having to play hours and hours of the game to unlock the gun I wanted to use from the start of the game and only wanted to use that one.

Not to mention the graphics are simply amazing.

BBboy20

Wow, Origin is just godly. Insta-refund on the game, no need to go through bullshit like Steam.
Really now? Just like that?

Spawn points are garbage in some of the modes. I've spawned right behind a bunch of dudes, and in front, and got my ass either handed to me or handed their asses to them. I watched as a bunch of my teammates went through the same experience.
2015 and we're still dealing with stuff like that.

MAX PAYMENT

I'm so fucking bad at this. Worse than I was in the beta. Every single engagement feels like I have pea shooter and the enemy has a gun that'll kill me in 2 - 3 hits.

I'm having the opposite experience. I feel like most people are clueless like bad AI and just wander into my gunfire.

def sim

Really now? Just like that?

Within reason, yup.

Refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game’s release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first. And if you purchase a new EA game within the first 30 days of its release date and can’t play it due to technical reasons within EA’s control, you can request a refund within 72 hours after you first launch the game instead of 24.

b0bbyJ03

is there an ID/gamer tag exchange thread for this game? Its so much better in a huge party. Played with a party of 8 last night and had the best time ever.

desu

At least its not just me, beta felt right and I had no problems and the game felt totally easy to me. Now suddenly in the full version everything seems different to me, can't pin point it down what it is.

I'm loving the game but I agree with EatChildren when he says that the soul of the game comes from the source material. Being a regular gamer you kinda pick up where some things could be better balanced easier than casuals and I'm having some pet peeves already with some stuff as AT-STs taking too long to take down (4 ion rockets in my experience).

Most of the people I played with don't give two cents about objectives too and that kinda bums me.

In my opinion Hoth is the worst map for Supremacy or Walker Assault, too open for me, keep getting shot and killed quickly by people on the other end of the map, and when I try to do the same I'm never able to unless it's a pulse rifle.
Git gud I guess.

At least its not just me, beta felt right and I had no problems and the game felt totally easy to me. Now suddenly in the full version everything seems different to me, can't pin point it down what it is.

All the so called elite FPS who plays COD probably picked up the game as well so they can ruin the casual gameplay of Battlefront....at least that's what it feels like to me.

EatChildren

I'm having the opposite experience. I feel like most people are clueless like bad AI and just wander into my gunfire.

I wish I had that problem! To be perfectly honest I always have trouble with DICE games. I've put hundreds of hours into Battlefield 4 and while I can comfortably hold my own, every once in awhile I'll get utterly decimated and feel like I'm totally overwhelmed by stronger opponents and dying seconds after spawning. Battlefront, for me, is like that multiplied tenfold.

I contributed to my failure to adapt since the beta (which I wound up pretty good at), and the generally incoherent Super Smash Bros. style design of the game where it's all about random powerups and super shit because Star Wars.

Jtrizzy

Within reason, yup.

I returned this a few hours after the limit of 24. Just got on a customer service chat, and they were fine with it. Granted I did buy the PS4 version with the dlc and season pass.

BTW, I know the Han Solo blaster that comes with the DLC can be unlocked. I will say it is a beast of a gun though, and I think it's the last one to unlock.

I know it's still early days. I sank like 16 hours into the beta and can see myself doing so here. But man this is a weird game. I think it's inherently fun if you're into the source material and simple feedback loop, but I also think the overall vision of the game is unfocused, unoriginal, and at times extremely unbalanced.

My heart says, as much as I'm enjoying it, that the ever so ambiguous "soul" of this game comes more from the source material than the actual game itself. It's an entirely serviceable but wholly unremarkable, at times poorly thought out, video game wrapped in entirely wonderful and beautifully executed franchise. The heart of the game comes from "Star Wars" moments rather than being a remarkable, original, and tightly designed game.

I am sure that the game will get loads of balance patches and updates that will address things. Bf4 had loads of issues at launch and now its still being supported.

Jtrizzy

Love the game for the most part, but it does retain that classic DICE problem of being shot/dying after you are behind/in cover.

MADGAME

2 Orbital Strike bugs for me last night. After using one,when I zoomed my gun with L2 it gave me the orbital strike overlay - not the goggles view but the blue tint. I could still shoot and play as normal, but any time I zoomed I would get the blue tinted screen. I also still experienced the problem from the beta where you try to move the Orbital Strike zone circle along the ground it gets stuck and won't move. Happened both as a ground troop and in an AT-AT

b0bbyJ03

are most people playing in 1st or 3rd person perspective? 3rd is so much better if you actually want to be as good as you can but 1st is so much more immersive. I keep going back between the two. Especially in Endor, that 1st person view looks insane.

I'm not getting taht feeling at all. To me I'm getting the same feeling I got from MW1. Its been a long ass time since I've enjoyed dropping into a game and just letting it play through and never backing out of the lobby. The gameplay is simplistic, but I actually like that. Everything just works, and unlike battlefield I still have fun when I play solo.

I'm getting rainbow six siege to cover the more complex desires, but I love battlefront for being simple, but incredibly tight.

derFeef

I wish I had that problem! To be perfectly honest I always have trouble with DICE games. I've put hundreds of hours into Battlefield 4 and while I can comfortably hold my own, every once in awhile I'll get utterly decimated and feel like I'm totally overwhelmed by stronger opponents and dying seconds after spawning. Battlefront, for me, is like that multiplied tenfold.

I contributed to my failure to adapt since the beta (which I wound up pretty good at), and the generally incoherent Super Smash Bros. style design of the game where it's all about random powerups and super shit because Star Wars.

I had that experience two or three matches in. But then it started to click. Battlefront is A LOT about positioning and far less about accuracy and reaction.

owlbeak

Lack of character models is a big bummer for me. No rebel flight suits, no imperial officer outfits, no TIE fighter pilots. :[ What a shame! Rest of the game is a real treat, though.

Man, I'm so in love with the SE-14C pistol, Jesus... Sucks at long range, yea, but absolutely decimates at close range, the burst is so quick and accurate that the moment you peek out of a corner and shoot a dude... he's gone.

A lot to learn you have young padawan :D

untitled1hjsd5.jpg

Feel like a big pile of poodoo after being this....also very serious thinking about quitting the game already. Sick of all this high player ranks already after one day.

Edit: what the heck am I saying? hell no i'm not quitting the game.....COD I would, not star wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom