• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeremy Jahns explains why he isn't getting Battlefront and it perfectly explains why you probably shouldn't either. At least, he mirrors my own (and many other's) opinions on the matter: http://youtu.be/OT7eHT9yuGE

For those that aren't familiar, Jahns is one of the best and most well known movie reviewers on YT. Also a big SW fan.

Is this really necessary? Who cares about him.

Let people buy what they want.

Jeremy Jahns explains why he isn't getting Battlefront and it perfectly explains why you probably shouldn't either. At least, he mirrors my own (and many other's) opinions on the matter: http://youtu.be/OT7eHT9yuGE

For those that aren't familiar, Jahns is one of the best and most well known movie reviewers on YT. Also a big SW fan.

I'm sorry.

But no.

I decide what I do or do not want.

About to download based on positive impressions here.

Question: Is the Deluxe Edition worth the extra 10 clams? Or is that stuff I can get in the game if I play enough?

MrBlonde

Can anyone recommend a couple good guns or set ups please? I know the game just came out so I wont panic yet but I am not usually this bad at a game, I only played for a little over an hour but wow did I have a hard time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Thanks. Why did Metro have to cut in and make him lose his train of thought... insolent FOOLS!

Sounds pretty exciting.

My guess: Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi, Chewbacca, Bossk, and either IG-88 or Gamorrean Guard (lol).

You do not need another "saber wielder" since The Emperor (while not having a saber) is still "force sensitive".

def sim

Question: Is the Deluxe Edition worth the extra 10 clams? Or is that stuff I can get in the game if I play enough?

It really, really isn't. Everything can be procured through normal play except one item. Don't pay $10 for a silly shock emote!

ryseing

No, because you're not getting it physically. Most people got the DE for the box art, not the items included.

Gun Animal

The four new Heroes and Villains will be Obi-Wan, Chewie, IG-88, and... some other Villain (Dengar? Tarkin? Boss? Veers? Who knows).

Mark this post

I think you're right on the mark about Chewie and Obi-Wan. Yoda was too old to fight by the OT era and Lando would be too similar to Han Solo to put him on the same side. R2D2 might add some well-needed balance to the hero side if they gave him his prequel flying abilities though, so I'm gonna say it's Obi-Wan and either Chewie or R2D2 for the heroes.

For the villains, they really need some more boring heroes to balance things out. Lando or Tarkin would do the trick, although Lando would only make sense as a villain on one map. (Cloud City)

I'd say the ideal line-up would be Obi-Wan and R2D2 (to balance out Palpatine and Boba Fett) and IG-88 and Tarkin. (to balance out Leia and Han)

There must be a balance! If there is Obi-Wan, there's gotta be another saber-wielding baddie.

The villain side is way overpowered (or at least way more appealing) right now. Think about this:

Heroes: a Jedi, a dude with a gun and a lady with a gun.

Villains: a sith lord with a lightsaber, a sith lord with force lightning and a dude with a jetpack and a flamethrower.

If anything the villains need more boring people to even things out.

The Deluxe and Ultimate editions might be the worst of those kinds of things I've seen.

Its early unlocks for weapons and some emotes (+ season pass for Ultimate). Don't think you'd be missing out on anything buying standard.

RdN

I'm trying to get "First of of a match" achievement and it's really eluding me. Way to many players, even in Blast.

a916

His main gripe is a DLC season pass? Something that DICE has done for a while and something I find a lot of value in. They're doubling the map count... at no point are you supposed to buy DLC. "You have to buy to get the experience the game is crafted for" Wrong on so many levels.

His misunderstanding of The Taken King is comical funny though...

I'm trying to get "First of of a match" achievement and it's really eluding me. Way to many players, even in Blast.

Lucked out in getting it with the Squadron mode.

The training missions and the co-op survival stuff is suuuuuuuuuuch a tease for what a full single player/campaign experience could've been, my god :< It's just the smallest of tastes and I desperately want something more/bigger.

Haines

Banned
Got this in the mail for 55 canadian dollaroonies through a preorder deal.

Still undecided whether to open it or take it back. Everything has been so polarizing. I saw shallowness in beta but i thought that would be fixed by unlocks. Also ij Ust got halo 5 and i fear the gameplay will be so shallow in comparison.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Never heard of him. Nor does that matter.

I am a huge fan who seen originals in the theater when they came out. I still got the game. I do need confirmation bias to try and sway me from something I enjoyed all my life, and still do. See that? Another fan with an opposite opinion. GCU sweetened the pot making it only $46 for Deluxe.

I also saw these new collectable tin OG and Prequel Trilogy Special Edition Blu-Ray's for $15 each while in BB. Damn you SW/BB making me spend money and get more points to make things cheaper in the future!

I'm sorry.

But no.

I decide what I do or do not want.

Yep yep!

No, because you're not getting it physically. Most people got the DE for the box art, not the items included.

I got it for the box art myself, lol.

But I also got the dope DL-44 early, and that shock emote tho!

Oh and there is a fist pump one too. But who cares about that, lol.

His problem is with DLC? He brings up The Taken King as not being part of the season pass and full price (which it wasn't), but there's a reason these things are called "season" passes, plus TTK was like a straight up sequel. And again with Battlefront the season pass is doubling up everything over the course of a year, which is important to keep in mind. And the whole lack of content complaint getting echoed everywhere, I don't get it because there's a lot to do here. Sure if you only play Walker Assault and only have 4 maps there's not much, but that's basically saying "I'm intentionally not playing all the content and am upset about the lack of content."

His problem is with DLC? He brings up The Taken King as not being part of the season pass and full price (which it wasn't), but there's a reason these things are called "season" passes, plus TTK was like a straight up sequel. And again with Battlefront the season pass is doubling up everything over the course of a year, which is important to keep in mind. And the whole lack of content complaint getting echoed everywhere, I don't get it because there's a lot to do here. Sure if you only play Walker Assault and only have 4 maps there's not much, but that's basically saying "I'm intentionally not playing all the content and am upset about the lack of content."

Its just hilarious that people avoid the game because of optional season pass content...

5taquitos

Not to mention that this is the single best use of a licensed property that I've ever seen in a video game. Nothing has come close to replicating the feel of the original license, except maybe Arkham Asylum.

Gun Animal

Got this in the mail for 55 canadian dollaroonies through a preorder deal.

Still undecided whether to open it or take it back. Everything has been so polarizing. I saw shallowness in beta but i thought that would be fixed by unlocks. Also ij Ust got halo 5 and i fear the gameplay will be so shallow in comparison.

It's essentially $30 worth of content for $60 (or $60 worth of content for $110 dollars, lol) if you're on the fence, wait for a complete edition or something.

edit: to elaborate, 12 maps (built from 4 asset themes) and very limited customization or depth would be acceptable in a $60 game with a good singleplayer campaign, or a $20-$30 multiplayer-only game, but not in a $60 multiplayer-only game.

iBlue

For those who question this game, this game is AMAZING! its incredibly fun to play. I paid $79 Canadians and dont regret my purchase(preordered on PSN)

his entire argument is "you HAVE to buy, you HAVE to buy" and you dont...none of the DLC is out and the game feels like a complete game.

DLC has a lot of terrible practices, but Dice has continually delivered on their promises with DLC and given a lot of content. The value proposition is a question, id say the Dice has delivered so much on BF3 and 4 that they were close to the 50 value of the season pass, they were worth around $40, which is what I paid for those passes.

Haines

Banned
It's essentially $30 worth of content for $60 (or $60 worth of content for $110 dollars, lol) if you're on the fence, wait for a complete edition or something.

Ok, thanks. Im going to do that. Like i said, halo 5 is really scratching the itch and i could see my self opening this game trying it getting bored and leaving it to the wayside,

The villain side is way overpowered (or at least way more appealing) right now. Think about this:

Heroes: a Jedi, a dude with a gun and a lady with a gun.

Villains: a sith lord with a lightsaber, a sith lord with force lightning and a dude with a jetpack and a flamethrower.

If anything the villains need more boring people to even things out.

You're selling the heroes way short.

I agree that Boba is OP, but Leia can beast. She also fits the ranged>close quarters quality that makes Boba and Han so valuable. Han and Boba are the easiest heroes to cheese the game with, because they don't have to get close to get kills.

Luke>Vader as well--far more mobile and he has an AoE attack vs Vader's single choke.

Sure if you only play Walker Assault and only have 4 maps there's not much, but that's basically saying "I'm intentionally not playing all the content and am upset about the lack of content."

To be fair, Walker Assault is basically what is being used to market and sell the game. I'd wager that people are buying the game to take down walkers and AT-STs, not capture droids :p

DLC has a lot of terrible practices, but Dice has continually delivered on their promises with DLC and given a lot of content. The value proposition is a question, id say the Dice has delivered so much on BF3 and 4 that they were close to the 50 value of the season pass, they were worth around $40, which is what I paid for those passes.

As a big defender of Battlefield Premium, I don't think we can really compare to two until we know what's included in each DLC pack for SWBF. When DICE said "four new maps are coming to Battlefield 4", we all knew that it was four new maps for ALL modes, as well as the new ones. That's not the case here.

rdytoroll

Launching this game in about 2 hours, really excited! What are some unlocks early on one should stay away from? Don't wanna waste credits for bad weapons

Seriously this is one of the coolest video games I have ever played in my life. It really upsets me that I don't hear more praises for this game. I feel like EA and DICE did such a perfect job capturing that Star Wars feel. I loved Bloodborne, loved Witcher, love FO4, love AC Unity, love MGSV but Battlefront is easily goty for giving me the most fun gaming experience I've had in quite some time. This is why I love gaming, so many awesome games out right now :)

MiguelItUp

Its just hilarious that people avoid the game because of optional season pass content...

Agreed. It also shows how out of the loop some people are, I mean, DICE has been using this formula for awhile now. Really though, for years now people hear what one journalist or YouTuber says and run with it. I wish people would just check things out for themselves and go from there. If I went by what every review or impression said then I would've missed out on a number of games that I actually enjoyed.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Not to mention that this is the single best use of a licensed property that I've ever seen in a video game. Nothing has come close to replicating the feel of the original license, except maybe Arkham Asylum.

Agreed, lol.

If you are a fan, this is a must have for the experience of how it just replicates the feel. There is a great playing, fantastic running, gorgeous looking and sounding game here. The millions of useless unlock syndrome is clouding people's judgement.

As a big defender of Battlefield Premium, I don't think we can really compare to two until we know what's included in each DLC pack for SWBF. When DICE said "four new maps are coming to Battlefield 4", we all knew that it was four new maps for ALL modes, as well as the new ones. That's not the case here.
which is true, which is also why I havent bought battlefront premium yet

E-flux

Personally i would feel like i wouldn't get the full game if i just bought the game and not the season pass. I liked that network test but there's no way that i'm dropping a 110&#8364; for a game. I will just wait for it to drop in price and get it then.

Edit: also that Jeremy Jahns video, i watched it and he didn't tell people not to buy the game. He just told people why he wouldn't be reviewing it since a bunch of people had asked for an review.

Sure feels like $60 of content for $60, with another $60 of content for $50, but hey perspective!
content is such a relative thing. I felt completely ripped off with teh content I was provided for $60 when I bought splatoon, but I'm completely satisfied with battlefront. I also feel like rocket league over delivered

Ferrio

Banned
Wish we could of gotten a Fighter Squadron map that was less open space and more flying through hazards etc.

edit: Also Gaf's opinion of Youtubers has never been very high at all..don't know what people were expecting.

To be fair, Walker Assault is basically what is being used to market and sell the game. I'd wager that people are buying the game to take down walkers and AT-STs, not capture droids
I would argue people are buying the game because Star Wars, which this game has plenty of. The original Battlefront only had AT-ATson 2 maps and BF2 only had them on Hoth, yet they were still the biggest selling Star Wars games of the time.

No statistics, but some anecdotal evidence (which sure could mean jack squat) of my friends no one is really playing Walker Assault at all. The most popular modes I see early on is Supremacy, Heroes vs Villains, Blast, and Fighter Squadron.

Gun Animal

Sure feels like $60 of content for $60, with another $60 of content for $50, but hey perspective!

I can totally see the perspective that it IS worth $60, in that it's an extreme "quality over quantity" approach. I can actually say without a doubt it's the best looking game I've ever played.

But there's a reason most full-price games don't take that approach, because it tends to leave a lot of players feeling like it's not a good value. Especially when they're talking about DLC and a $50 season pass months before the game is even out.

Maybe the truth is that the only way to make a complete game that looks THIS GOOD and plays THIS WELL is to sell it for $110 dollars. That's not unreasonable, I guess. If that's the case, I'd rather they just sell it new for $110 with all 30 maps on-disc, but I guess that would be suicide. Since it's being sold the way it is, it's not unreasonable either to want to wait until all the content is released and the game feels truly complete.

Aiii

So not worth it
i dunno...those kind of posts are why review threads exist at launch right? those type of people tend to post once in the thread to never return

The passive aggressive defensiveness put me off from replying further, to be honest.

Wish we could of gotten a Fighter Squadron map that was less open space and more flying through hazards etc.

edit: Also Gaf's opinion of Youtubers has never been very high at all..don't know what people were expecting.
Would love a map based around a clustered asteroid field in space. Like the Episode II scene.

content is such a relative thing. I felt completely ripped off with teh content I was provided for $60 when I bought splatoon, but I'm completely satisfied with battlefront. I also feel like rocket league over delivered
I think we can all agree Rocket League over delivered.

speedomodel

1443.gif

Would love a map based around a clustered asteroid field in space. Like the Episode II scene.

I don't think we'll ever get surface-to-space combat in SWBF (at this in this release), but I have to imagine they'll set some Fighter Squadron maps in space in future DLC. I can see:

Jakku (of course)
Bespin
Death Star
Asteroid Field/Chase

being added, easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom