• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised I haven't heard any complaints about Palpatine's dash. It's based on his prequel fighting style.

I have no issue with it personally.

Lrrr

Good lord. I went 17-0 at the beginning of Walker Assault using Leia. She's incredibly if you use her correctly and you have smart teammates who stick close to you (so you can drop those power ups). :)

I can see Rogue One being in one of them as well. Maybe the last pack.

Yeah, DLC packs are usually released seasonally (there have been a few exceptions). I could see the last pack potentially having some Rogue One content.

I'm surprised I haven't heard any complaints about Palpatine's dash. It's based on his prequel fighting style.

Ugh, don't remind me.

I actually don't really care, but it's interesting that they included a little prequel content. Pretty sure the Shadow Trooper is a prequel thing, too.

Good lord. I went 17-0 at the beginning of Walker Assault using Leia. She's incredibly if you use her correctly and you have smart teammates who stick close to you (so you can drop those power ups). :)

See? Don't sleep on Leia!

DOWN

Banned
For real I am getting exhausted by those saying you get 12 maps on 4 planets for the game cost and 16 are locked to season pass. I mentioned this before and I don't mean in reviews, I mean on GAF.

That's some real selective info. You get 14 maps on 5 planets for base price. Just because you wait 2 weeks for Jakku doesn't mean they didn't give them to you. The 16 other maps come over the course of a year and are optional DLC being produced.

And let's not act like you are only allowed to play one or two modes. That's your personal problem if two modes are all you enjoyed so just wait for a sale or move on.

JDHarbs

There's definitely quite a bit of prequels influence on this game. The personal shield and squad shield are straight out of TPM.

I don't really like it when there is such a focus on authenticity, but I can deal with it since it would make sense that the technology would still exist at that point in time & that Palpatine would still be able to move like that even if neither are actually shown in the OT films.

It also makes me think that a prequels DLC pack is pretty much guaranteed at some point. No way that stuff would be in the base game if it's going to be EP 4-7 only.

DOWN

Banned
Id be surprised if they didn't make a cheap space background map for fighter squadron but I think fighting in the clouds looks amazing

For real I am getting exhausted by those saying you get 12 maps on 4 planets for the game cost and 16 are locked to season pass. I mentioned this before and I don't mean in reviews, I mean on GAF.

That's some real selective info. You get 14 maps on 5 planets for base price. Just because you wait 2 weeks for Jakku doesn't mean they didn't give them to you. The 16 other maps come over the course of a year and are optional DLC being produced.

And let's not act like you are only allowed to play one or two modes. That's your personal problem if two modes are all you enjoyed so just wait for a sale or move on.

Were you one of those guys that thought Destiny shouldn't be reviewed until the Raid or the Queen's missions were available after release?

Reviews are reviews of release content. On release, 12 maps on 4 planets are available. If a site wants to update their review after the new content releases, that's totally fine with me, but I think it's disingenuous to act like those maps are a part of the release and should be considered in reviews/impressions when they aren't even playable yet.

James93

I've heard people say the BF4 season pass was well worth the money due to its amount of content. Is everyone expecting the same for the season pass of this game?

Probably the major questions is there going to be enough people who buy it and are playing the game past several months

DOWN

Banned
Were you one of those guys that thought Destiny shouldn't be reviewed until the Raid or the Queen's missions were available after release?

Reviews are reviews of release content. On release, 12 maps on 4 planets are available. If a site wants to update their review after the new content releases, that's totally fine with me, but I think it's disingenuous to act like those maps are a part of the release and should be considered in reviews/impressions when they aren't even playable yet.
Could you read my post again? There's a line in there that literally says I am referring to GAF and not reviews. I get that reviews didn't talk about it, though most mention it from what I saw.

I am talking about GAFfers totally leaving those out of the count to make the game's value sound worse when asked about or deciding to mention map count. I'm not talking about anyone's full impressions, I'm talking about people are dropping the count of planets and total maps you get for base game price in order to make the season pass comparison sound dramatic, despite everyone knowing about those maps if they ever saw the trailers for the game at any point or played the beta.

I've heard people say the BF4 season pass was well worth the money due to its amount of content. Is everyone expecting the same for the season pass of this game?

It's hard to compare it to BF due to the strategy that DICE has taken with maps/modes. I think it's harder to justify the cost with just numbers, because the map count doesn't mean much if it's not for a mode you enjoy playing. 16 new maps may mean little to someone who enjoys the larger game modes, if they only get four new maps out of it, for example.

I think, overall, the value is going to be less. Battlefield 3 and 4 had five expansions for $50, but there has been a shift lately: BFH has four expansions and it looks like Battlefront will be the same. Actually, Hardline has been releasing free content to ALL players lately...maybe DICE will throw us a bone with Battlefront, too?

I am talking about GAFfers totally leaving those out of the count to make the game's value sound worse when asked about or deciding to mention map count. I'm not talking about anyone's full impressions, I'm talking about people are dropping the count of planets and total maps you get for base game price, despite everyone knowing about those maps if they ever saw the trailers for the game at any point or played the beta.

I'll act like the game has 14 maps and 5 planets when it actually has 14 maps and 5 planets. "12 maps (but not for any single game mode) on 4 planets at launch, then 2 more maps on 1 planet in 3-4 weeks" is an accurate way to phrase it.

darscot

Probably the major questions is there going to be enough people who buy it and are playing the game past several months

I find the whole 10-15 hour thing really overblown or maybe miss represented is a better way to put it. I agree your hard core FPS fans are probable going to migrate back to the COD, Battlefield or whatever other game is tops at the time. The casuals though I think this game is going to be king, with the movie dropping and all the hype, I find it hard to believe that you won't find players 6 months from now.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It also makes me think that a prequels DLC pack is pretty much guaranteed at some point. No way that stuff would be in the base game if it's going to be EP 4-7 only.

They would be insanely stupid not to, there are some amazing land battles in the prequels & Clone Wars. Imagine what the Geonosis battle would look like in this game.

5taquitos

Prior to playing WA for myself, I heard people grumbling about her, but their complaints are a bunch of nonsense. If anything, she might be OP.

I think she's the best character in Hero Hunt, her blaster and 1-shot ability make quick work of regular troops, and she can drop health for herself.

Jeremy Jahns explains why he isn't getting Battlefront and it perfectly explains why you probably shouldn't either. At least, he mirrors my own (and many other's) opinions on the matter: http://youtu.be/OT7eHT9yuGE

For those that aren't familiar, Jahns is one of the best and most well known movie reviewers on YT. Also a big SW fan.

Don't care. I love Star Wars. If I want to drop $110 on all of it to play you bet your ass I'm going to do so, no matter what some dude in a blazer tries to tell me.

Gun Animal

EA could resolve the PR problem for the most part if they just waited a month to announce the season pass and pretend that they didn't start working on until the base game went gold, and they could have reduced the coverage of the issue significantly if they priced the season pass at $30~40 instead. Clearly they saw the negative press coming (how couldn't they?) and didn't feel that it would negatively effect sales enough for them to do anything differently.

You're right though that people are overlooking Jakku, but lets not pretend it won't heavily reuse assets from the Tattoine maps, lmao.

Look, as long as publishers keep releasing full-price games and then try to make extra bank off of DLC before the game is even out, all the threads about those games are going to be filled with people complaining about non-traditional pricing models. That will be true until everyone who was alive for the PS2/NGC/Xbox generation is dead and buried. We are doomed to continue living out this cycle of dlc backlash and dlc apologetics for the rest of our natural lives.

It just occurred to me I've never seen an A Wing wrap an AT ATs legs. Was that just marketing?

You mean the Speeder?

It's not really needed now. In the beta, you could only really do it on the last stage of the map.

But since Rebels are OP in most WA maps, you probably haven't seen it because it's not necessary, haha.

I appreciate it. Better than making up some totally random bullshit for him to do instead. I like the use of the PT in Battlefront. It's rare, but used in appropriate places.

Tubie

It just occurred to me I've never seen an A Wing wrap an AT ATs legs. Was that just marketing?

One of the training missions teaches you how to do it.

The reason we might not see it often is because if anyone shoots at the speeder while it's going around the ATAT, it makes it almost impossible for them to pull it off.

Every single shot you take increases the chance of failure by a lot, specially during the last 2 passes.

Wil348

You mean the T-47 Airspeeder? It can be done, quite easily actually, it's just a lot of people haven't figured out how to do it yet (which is amazing considering it literally gives a prompt to start tying the AT-AT legs).

--

I'm actually enjoying the game a lot more now, it's a ton of fun, Walker Assault especially. The game really does have its moments, for example, I was playing Walker Assault on Endor last night and we were defending the uplink in the Ewok village. I was playing as Leia, and everyone was working in perfect synergy to keep the Empire on the ground. I occasionally dropped shields for my teammates while shooting up Stormtroopers that were scrambling around beneath us.

Also, Boba Fett is the fucking best. No other hero character can top him.

The most amazing thing just happened to me in Walker Assault. I was in a Snowspeeder on the last point. With me was another guy with a Snowspeeder. We both targeted the same Walker(on accident) and we were making our revolutions just fine, we were even going counter to each other. Then the funniest thing happens, as we finish we both are successful and we bump into each other at the end. Well it seems like the game has ZERO clue what to do in this situation so we are literally two Snowspeeders in mid-air humping each other.

I thought no problem when the Walker goes down we'll have space to move and fly off. NOPE! In mid-air the Walker falls down and explodes and takes us with it. I hit the share button on the PS4 and of course it didn't record the last 15 minutes of my gameplay. Or not you guys would've seen a hilarious video.

Still having fun!

DOWN

Banned
It's hard to compare it to BF due to the strategy that DICE has taken with maps/modes. I think it's harder to justify the cost with just numbers, because the map count doesn't mean much if it's not for a mode you enjoy playing. 16 new maps may mean little to someone who enjoys the larger game modes, if they only get four new maps out of it, for example.

I think, overall, the value is going to be less. Battlefield 3 and 4 had five expansions for $50, but there has been a shift lately: BFH has four expansions and it looks like Battlefront will be the same. Actually, Hardline has been releasing free content to ALL players lately...maybe DICE will throw us a bone with Battlefront, too?

I'll act like the game has 14 maps and 5 planets when it actually has 14 maps and 5 planets. "12 maps (but not for any single game mode) on 4 planets at launch, then 2 more maps on 1 planet in 3-4 weeks" is an accurate way to phrase it.
That's a totally acceptable way to phrase it as it at least mentions all the maps. Most people upset about the season pass perpetuate the idea that there is what the game has today and what it will have with the pass, skipping out on the movie inspired map DLC coming for everyone which is obviously worth mentioning to those who want to know the content. It looks lame to me to complain like you (not specifically) are laying out the value of the game with clear bitterness when you won't mention the Dec 1/8 Episode VII planet

Gun Animal

Also, Boba Fett is the fucking best. No other hero character can top him.

On several of the Heroes VS Villains maps it's theoretically impossible for the Imperial side to lose any round because Boba Fet can just fly up to otherwise unreachable areas and just avoid damage until the timer runs out. One of the Tattoine maps in particular it's literally impossible for anyone but Luke to damage Boba Fett as long as he stays ontop of the big ship in the middle of the map, and as long as you keep your distance and use rockets Luke is easy to deal with.

Crackbone

I honestly just can't get enough of this game.

Played it all afternoon. I'm impressed with all of the modes and they're all damn fun.

Can't wait for more tonight lol.

On several of the Heroes VS Villains maps it's theoretically impossible for the Imperial side to lose any round because Boba Fet can just fly up to otherwise unreachable areas and just avoid damage until the timer runs out. One of the Tattoine maps in particular it's literally impossible for anyone but Luke to damage Boba Fett as long as he stays ontop of the big ship in the middle of the map, and as long as you keep your distance and use rockets Luke is easy to deal with.
what about when considering the jump pack star card?

With all this talk about how easy it is for the Rebels to win Walker Assault, I feel like I must be the unluckiest person. I've yet to win a match in this gametype, and it seems like I'm constantly on the Rebel team that cannot hold uplinks to save our lives.

Then when I'm on the Imperial team, the Rebels have that crap locked down.

About to start. Pretty hardcore Destiny PVPer who has been to Mercury many times. Any advice about the transition to this meta would be highly-appreciated.

Edit: Top-of-page love for some Force Push action:
2885933-star_wars_battlefront_e3_screen_1_force_push_wm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom