• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT2| I am altering the OT. Pray I don't alter it any further.

MADGAME

so a one shot kill at close range, a two shot kill at medium range ánd a one shot melee kill?
That's pretty op....
Looks cool though!
It looks like the mid-range kill he got at 1:58 was one-hit. He missed the first shot and hit the railing.

Did anyone catch and see what category of blaster this is? Targeting Rifle, Heavy Blaster?
It said Blaster Rifle in the vid.

The same guy has a Stinger Pistol video as well, and it's a Charge card!
What's interesting is the Stinger Pistol is already listed in the Battlefront App. Wonder if that means we will get it soon. Both the Stinger Pistol and the Lobot skin are iconic to Bespin, makes zero sense if we don't get them before next DLC.

I'm in the camp of "anything is subject to change before release", so hopefully the internal testing and balancing they're doing prevents that from being as OP as the video shows.
Or released OP then nerfed.

Toa TAK

Banned
Did someone say...DISRUPTION?

qO7vQRh.gif

As for the CJ-9 Bo-Rifle, you can get 1 hit kills with the other rifles against bots as well. I'm sure it won't be like that at all in the mulitplayer.

I also find Berserker to be annoying. I think the actual perk is fine, however it's stupid that the negative side affects of it can be offset by Bacta or Stim.

PrankT

I also find Berserker to be annoying. I think the actual perk is fine, however it's stupid that the negative side affects of it can be offset by Bacta or Stim.
I don't have an issue with stim pack because you can still immediately take damage. Bacta provides invulnerability for a short period; completely ridiculous.

Toa TAK

Banned
I don't think I have an issue with any of the star cards. I think if there's anything that bums me out it's the rubberbanding effect with the jetpack or when people get in mah way.

Bacta, disruptor, shock grenade are all garbage.

That reminds me, I still gotta finish off that second Shock Grenade contract.

But that means more HvV as Dengar.

He's a beast but damn.

leng jai

If there's one thing I'll say about this game is that it's incredibly easy to pick up and play whenever you feel like it. I routinely stop for months at a time and every time I come back for my Star Wars fix it's almost like I never left.

Man, you stick that Blaster Cannon in the right spot and you can hold down an entire objective by yourself. The top of the center building on Cloud City is a great spot.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think I like this DLC very much. The maps aren't particularly enjoyable to me and I don't feel Battlefront's gunplay and item distribution is works well in open maps like the main Cloud City rounds for Walker Assault and Supremacy. I also think they're visually dull and the worst looking of anything in Battlefront by far.

I don't mind the indoor map though, even if it's very bottlenecky. It's my favourite of the bunch.

Cloud Car is lame. Not feeling any of the new gear. Lando's character model is dreadfully plastic. In all pretty disappointed and I enjoyed Outer Rim far more.

I don't think I like this DLC very much. The maps aren't particularly enjoyable to me and I don't feel Battlefront's gunplay and item distribution is works well in open maps like the main Cloud City rounds for Walker Assault and Supremacy. I also think they're visually dull and the worst looking of anything in Battlefront by far.

I don't mind the indoor map though, even if it's very bottlenecky. It's my favourite of the bunch.

Cloud Car is lame. Not feeling any of the new gear. Lando's character model is dreadfully plastic. In all pretty disappointed and I enjoyed Outer Rim far more.

Although I like the Bespin DLC (with the exception of the playlist, which I'm starting to hate more and more), I liked the Outer Rim more. Guess I'm more of a close quarters kind of guy.

I agree with your sentiments. However, I do find the carbonite chamber level to be very visually pleasing. The new star cards just kind of annoy me and the Cloud Car is a joke. The reason why I hate the star cards is, I hate anything that takes control away from a player. It leaves very little counter play and it's bad design in my opinion.

Once I'm actually done with my contracts, I'm just going back to the WA playlist.

Ambitious

Why does it take so long to quit a game? The activity indicator in the bottom right corner just keeps on spinning. Just show the goddamn menu.

brawly

Got this today. Would appreciate some competent teammates. Don't have DLC maps.

PSN: BiggieBrawls

edit: just saw there's a community on PSN. Coolio.

I kinda have to agree with this.

I like most of the Bespin Maps besides the Cloud City one. It looks bad (On XboxOne, really awful actually) and that map plays really bad too. Turning Point is not fun on that map and WA doesnt play that well either.

Ive got to play as Lando finally in the standard WA playlist lol And i really dont get the reason to have him at all in the game? His abilites are bad and boring. His weapon is a thermo scope sniper pistol and yeah he really doesnt look that good.

I really hope DICE steps it up with the last two DLCs. And they really have get 40 players DLC done. Stop dropping the player counts for every DLC its getting annoying.

If not, Battlefront 2 will hopefully deliver...

And so far im really not feeling both DLC packs. Bespin is better, but still not where it should be. Thank god i didnt pay 50 bucks for the Pass on XboxOne.

MADGAME

Why does it take so long to quit a game? The activity indicator in the bottom right corner just keeps on spinning. Just show the goddamn menu.
It's ridiculous. I think there is some server communication transpiring and stat recording, but man it's bad.

Ozorov

Havent played that much of Bespin yet, but I agree with you so far. I think some maps are too big for 32-players.

But the thing I hate most is that fucking playlist. I Don't wanna have to quit the game every second game just to change the mode.

Haven't unlocked Landos pistol yet but I kinda like the EE-3.

I'm fine with the playlist. The shitty modes like Blast and Drop Zone are only one round. If they reduced Fighter Squadron to one round too it would be better.

Also, I don't really think heroes are needed in Sabotage.

PrankT

Drop Zone is one of the best parts of this game. Sabotage is pretty lame since the balance is garbage. Turning Point is awful in this rotation as well, followed by Fighter Squadron.

MrDaravon

Wow, I am just completely getting my shit pushed in today in the vanilla WA playlist. Best game so far has been 9-27, and that's with the new scoring system. Also crazy how at this point I recognize like half the names in any given WA match, and it's always the same hardcore people wrecking me. I can't even complete the kinda BS challenges I used to be able to get away with like 25 pistol headshots etc :/

Drop Zone is one of the best parts of this game. Sabotage is pretty lame since the balance is garbage. Turning Point is awful in this rotation as well, followed by Fighter Squadron.
Drop Zone only plays on Labs which isn't a great map. If Drop Zone was on Administrator's Palace and Cloud City I'd be all for it. Especially in the 32 player version.

Sabotage on Administrator's Palace and Cloud City are great. It's CFC where it sucks because it's an indoors map.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I've never really cared for the Battlefield series. Would it even be worth considering this game?

Also, what's the player base like on PC?

leng jai

So the DLC isn't worth buying? I've played almost 100 hours but never bought any but it would be nice to have a few more maps. Are there anymore free ones planned?

5taquitos

So the DLC isn't worth buying? I've played almost 100 hours but never bought any but it would be nice to have a few more maps. Are there anymore free ones planned?
I think both DLC are great, with the playlist setup being the biggest drawback. Totally worth it IMO.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I've never really cared for the Battlefield series. Would it even be worth considering this game?

PC only has about 5,000 at most. If you get this game get it on the PS4. Averages around 30,000 players at a time.

This game doesn't really play like modern Battlefield. It's much more accessible.

I didn't like Outer Rim because I hate small modes. Bespin is a nice medium size and the maps are pretty good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
However, I do find the carbonite chamber level to be very visually pleasing.

Oh sorry, I meant just the big open city map for WA. The carbonite chamber is crazy gorgeous.

It's an incredibly divisive game for a multitude of reasons. My personal consensus is that the general hit feedback and core gunplay is satisfying, but the product as a whole is heavily elevated by its authenticity to the original trilogy and the crazy production work put into assets and audio. It's been a long time since we've had a Star Wars game that draws so heavily from OT material, and I'm not going to pretend a massive chunk of the appeal is just being absorbed in a gorgeous looking and sounding current gen OT game built on fantastic technology.

In the same breath I also think it's one of the worst balanced and envisioned multiplayer shooters I've played in a long time. As if it started with the Battlefield template and was chopped to pieces in some mangled effort to cater to short term, casual players and accessibility with no real direction or care for how the end product would balance or flow. It's a vague statement, but I consider it incoherent and incohesive. Layered with items and powers and other tools, many of which can contribute to team work, yet no emphasis towards and numerous barriers preventing teamwork. Incredibly mixed map design that ranges from fantastic to fucking dreadful (hello Endor chokepoints). It's like a jack-of-all-trades across the modes, failing to commit to depth and balance of any, while more shit gets shovelled on the pile via DLC and updates that seemingly further imbalances the game.

In many ways it kind of reminds me of Super Smash Bros as a first person shooter, due to the heavy leanings of power randomisation and other stuff. So if you like that kind of chaos and nonsense, and you're a big OT Star Wars fan, you should get some fun out of it. I do think there's a fun game in there. I wouldn't have put in the hours I have, and continue to on and off, if I didn't. It's definitely got its moments, and I suppose the mode variety more or less guarantees something great is in there for you. But yeah. I still feel it's a poorly thought out package with no real focus or direction that has pandered to accessibility and quick gratification in the worst ways with no care for balance or match flow. It's held together by the presentation and the solid shootbang at its core, which is legit fun.

PrankT

This is the first time I've been fed up. So much random spam, whether it be explosive shot, bacta bomb, disruption, shock grenade, in addition to the normal droids, turrets, heroes and vehicles. I've met my limit.

Also the assists showing up as a kill is complete bs because it doesn't actually affect your actual k:d ratio, so if you want to maintain a certain k:d ratio you can't because you can't tell how many real kills you have.

The one topper is bacta bomb. There is absolutely no counter if someone pops it nearby and blasts you...and it helps teammates too. The worst. At least you can try to avoid the shock grenade and use cooling cell for disruptor. I'm bent out of shape.

Edit: I'll add that the game is still fun, but too many "I win" encounters now.

leng jai

The change to assist scoring is absurd, it practically makes the K/D stats worthless. It should be 75% damage = kill, 25% is like one hit half the time.

Palpable

This is the first time I've been fed up. So much random spam, whether it be explosive shot, bacta bomb, disruption, shock grenade, in addition to the normal droids, turrets, heroes and vehicles. I've met my limit.

Also the assists showing up as a kill is complete bs because it doesn't actually affect your actual k:d ratio, so if you want to maintain a certain k:d ratio you can't because you can't tell how many real kills you have.

The one topper is bacta bomb. There is absolutely no counter if someone pops it nearby and blasts you...and it helps teammates too. The worst. At least you can try to avoid the shock grenade and use cooling cell for disruptor. I'm bent out of shape.

Edit: I'll add that the game is still fun, but too many "I win" encounters now.

You feel my pain...

The change to assist scoring is absurd, it practically makes the K/D stats worthless. It should be 75% damage = kill, 25% is like one hit half the time.

They just need to add an 'assists' row.

Damn, it really pays off to stay close to your partner. Especially if you use a Starcard that has a short cooldown anyway, like the Cycler Rifle.
You can almost continuously use it.
Only drawback from the new system: if you use the Scout trait and your partner doesn't.

PrankT

Damn, it really pays off to stay close to your partner. Especially if you use a Starcard that has a short cooldown anyway, like the Cycler Rifle.
You can almost continuously use it.
Only drawback from the new system: if you use the Scout trait and your partner doesn't.
I just played against a team where they all ran together with bacta and disruptor. I had cooling cell and half the time couldn't fight back because by the time you react they already shoot you and their cooldowns were fast. This incompetent addition to the game should require the user of the disruptor card overheat as well.

Once I finish the hutt contacts I probably won't play for a while.

Eggbok

I hate trying to find a game of heroes v villians and then getting kicked for being idle when the match hasn't even started, wtf dice?

WillyFive

Although the original Battlefront games were Battlefield re-skins, this one is anything but (to the dismay of anyone who was a fan of the original games).

The gameplay experience is sprinting towards battle and then getting killed really quickly if you make a wrong turn and are not fast enough. This gets old fast but can be fun in short bursts. The best parts for me are when you finally get into an air vehicle and start to focus on the few enemies that are flying above the battle (but the default controls are so bad that it takes you going into settings and changing things to make it flyable, otherwise be prepared to fly straight into the ground or get destroyed within seconds of spawning by an enemy fighter).

Player base is fine on PC as long as you stick to only the Top 40, Top 12, Top Heroes, or Fighter Squadron playlists. Anything more specific than that (like a specific map or mode) and you will run into an empty server. Hopefully the upcoming Instant Action fixes this problem.

Oh sorry, I meant just the big open city map for WA. The carbonite chamber is crazy gorgeous.

It's an incredibly divisive game for a multitude of reasons. My personal consensus is that the general hit feedback and core gunplay is satisfying, but the product as a whole is heavily elevated by its authenticity to the original trilogy and the crazy production work put into assets and audio. It's been a long time since we've had a Star Wars game that draws so heavily from OT material, and I'm not going to pretend a massive chunk of the appeal is just being absorbed in a gorgeous looking and sounding current gen OT game built on fantastic technology.

In the same breath I also think it's one of the worst balanced and envisioned multiplayer shooters I've played in a long time. As if it started with the Battlefield template and was chopped to pieces in some mangled effort to cater to short term, casual players and accessibility with no real direction or care for how the end product would balance or flow. It's a vague statement, but I consider it incoherent and incohesive. Layered with items and powers and other tools, many of which can contribute to team work, yet no emphasis towards and numerous barriers preventing teamwork. Incredibly mixed map design that ranges from fantastic to fucking dreadful (hello Endor chokepoints). It's like a jack-of-all-trades across the modes, failing to commit to depth and balance of any, while more shit gets shovelled on the pile via DLC and updates that seemingly further imbalances the game.

In many ways it kind of reminds me of Super Smash Bros as a first person shooter, due to the heavy leanings of power randomisation and other stuff. So if you like that kind of chaos and nonsense, and you're a big OT Star Wars fan, you should get some fun out of it. I do think there's a fun game in there. I wouldn't have put in the hours I have, and continue to on and off, if I didn't. It's definitely got its moments, and I suppose the mode variety more or less guarantees something great is in there for you. But yeah. I still feel it's a poorly thought out package with no real focus or direction that has pandered to accessibility and quick gratification in the worst ways with no care for balance or match flow. It's held together by the presentation and the solid shootbang at its core, which is legit fun.

When I think of Smash Bros as a first person shooter, I think of Unreal Tournament. This game doesn't really remind me much of Smash Bros, where the power randomization empowers all the players; Battlefront's randomization is frustrating in a way like Mario Party, except it is not fun at all because you seem to lose all the time.

EatChildren

oh christ it totally is mario party

MADGAME

As of yesterday only cleanup I need to do is EMP II and mark 50 enemies for the upgraded Scout Binos. Easy peasy. Shock Trooper skin is nice looking, but there are many maps I won't use it as it basically makes you a bullseye. I like running around with it on Bespin though. I'll use Shock/Shadow until they give us TIE Pilot
We're never getting TIE Pilot are we :(

Going to try to put together a couple montages later - double Scattergun kills and destroying Cloud Cars as a troop using only a gun, not modified by a Star Card. Things are made of paper lol.

As of yesterday only cleanup I need to do is EMP II and mark 50 enemies for the upgraded Scout Binos. Easy peasy. Shock Trooper skin is nice looking, but there are many maps I won't use it as it basically makes you a bullseye. I like running around with it on Bespin though. I'll use Shock/Shadow until they give us TIE Pilot
We're never getting TIE Pilot are we :(

Going to try to put together a couple montages later - double Scattergun kills and destroying Cloud Cars as a troop using only a gun, not modified by a Star Card. Things are made of paper lol.

Haha, you gave me a great idea.
My next goal: shooting down a Cloud Car with the Scatter Gun. Should be totally doable.

MrDaravon

So after finally getting fed up with constantly getting killed because of people using Disruptor/Bacta Bomb I equipped Disruptor/Bacta Bomb, and immediately became a god. Think the worst game I had was like a 5+ K/D ratio even discounting the new scoring/assist system.

Shit is broken yo

PrankT

So after finally getting fed up with constantly getting killed because of people using Disruptor/Bacta Bomb I equipped Disruptor/Bacta Bomb, and immediately became a god. Think the worst game I had was like a 5+ K/D ratio even discounting the new scoring/assist system.

Shit is broken yo
The only way they will fix it is if everyone abuses the setup, which they will/already are. Good luck competing against people who take no damage and take away your ability to shoot. Genius.

lawnchair

Banned

this is mostly how i feel about it.

MrDaravon

The only way they will fix it is if everyone abuses the setup, which they will/already are. Good luck competing against people who take no damage and take away your ability to shoot. Genius.

Pretty much. I think the Berserker nerf on it's own was pretty fair, but everyone using that is still rocking Bacta Bomb which basically negates it. And given that they still haven't done anything to Bacta Bomb after months I don't think they will.

LoveCake

They REALLY NEED TO GET the Hutt contracts/rewards sorted out!

The latest content is good, but they have to sort out WA mode, I have only played one match where the rebels took the walker down, it's nigh-on impossible.

Top Bottom