• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT2| I am altering the OT. Pray I don't alter it any further.

lawnchair

Banned
are people playing outer rim still? i went over there searching for a blast map the other day and came up empty five or six times..

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So, I ultimately passed on this when it was first released due to the negative feedback. Has more stuff (Non-DLC) been added since it launched? Is it a fair time to jump in or are the games barren?

They added a fair amount of free content with updates and the population is still very healthy on PS4.

In terms of PC, we get mixed reports here. Others say its barren, others have no problem.

border

What has happened with this game?

My friend and I play Fighter Squadron together, and have rejoined on Xbox One after a 4-5 month lull. Load times are now absolutely atrocious, leaderboards don't seem to make any distinction between AI kills and PVP kills. The hitbox on A-Wings seems to have been fixed, at the very least.

On the final match summary screen that shows your specific achievements, the two words "Vehicles Destroyed" and "Objective Score" actually overlap each other at the end and beginning of each phrase. Obviously it has nothing to do with how the game place, but it's just hilarious that something so sloppy made it through QA.

Is there anything to be done about the load times? Delete and re-install maybe? A lot of times I'm not even getting into a match until there's already 30-50 points scored.

PrankT

So, I ultimately passed on this when it was first released due to the negative feedback. Has more stuff (Non-DLC) been added since it launched? Is it a fair time to jump in or are the games barren?
The dlc's added some of the worst content ever, so now is a perfect time to continue to not play. The game has been pretty amazing until these last couple weeks, though. The negative feedback on the game was from a bunch of idiots.

My friend and I play Fighter Squadron together, and have rejoined on Xbox One after a 4-5 month lull. Load times are now absolutely atrocious, leaderboards don't seem to make any distinction between AI kills and PVP kills. The hitbox on A-Wings seems to have been fixed, at the very least.

On the final match summary screen that shows your specific achievements, the two words "Vehicles Destroyed" and "Objective Score" actually overlap each other at the end and beginning of each phrase. Obviously it has nothing to do with how the game place, but it's just hilarious that something so sloppy made it through QA.

Is there anything to be done about the load times? Delete and re-install maybe? A lot of times I'm not even getting into a match until there's already 30-50 points scored.

The only thing that improves load times is a faster hard drive.

To the point where I am the first in every game.

Pretty unfair.

The dlc's added some of the worst content ever, so now is a perfect time to continue to not play. The game has been pretty amazing until these last couple weeks, though. The negative feedback on the game was from a bunch of idiots.

Don't listen to him. Bespin is a fantastic DLC. Adds a lot of great content.

Ambitious

Oh boy. I usually tend to get killed really fast when playing a Hero, but I just played three amazing matches.

I happened to find a Hero pickup on Endor. I assumed Boba might be the most useful Hero on this map, so I picked him. I had so much fun. A few shots here, a wrist rocket there, a bit of the good old flamethrower, rinse and repeat. Got ~25 kills. Shortly after, another Hero pickup spawned right in front of me. Obviously, I picked Boba again. Got another ~15 kills before the match was over.

For some reason, in the next match I played Empire again. And just shortly after the game started, a Hero pickup spawned right in front of me. Fuck yeah. Just 21 kills because the match was over pretty quickly, but zero deaths.

And in the third match, playing Rebels this time, I ran into yet another Hero pickup and went on a rampage behind the enemy lines with Luke. So much fun.

Palpable

Don't listen to him. Bespin is a fantastic DLC. Adds a lot of great content.

If by "great content" you're referring to the maps, heroes, and positive patch notes, sure. If you're referring to the disruption and stun star cards... then LOL

Sabotoge is starting to become so repetitive and inane. 90% of the matches play out the same.

Administrator's Palace - Rebels fail to blow the last generator
Cloud City - Imperials capture the extraction control point
CFC - Rebels hold off the Imperials at the end. (Mostly because Imperial Villains are useless on that map)

Every freaking time. It's like Groundhog Day.

Extraction in OR was much more unpredictable. I am avoiding Bespin now because I can't get a non-Sabotage game mode.

Outer Rim will have much more longevity than Bespin.

WillyFive

They have increased on PC too; the loading screen music now plays two (and at one point, three) times every time I load a map, as opposed to before where you should never have heard the end of the loading screen music.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I quite like Outer Rim, but I'm also fond of some of the smaller modes (especially drop zone) if I find myself in a balanced map. I also thought most of the stage design was okay.

Going back to the basic 12 and 40 player rosters really highlights how weak Bespin is though. The stage design is total ass, full of awful bottlenecks or just not particularly well suited to certain modes.

Lando is a lame hero with no distinguishing feel or abilities. The skycars are lame too, and feel juttery to drive for some reason (like weird lag/stutter not present in any other vehicle) and seems to have busted hitboxes (yet another air vehicle). The X-8 is shit. The EE-4 seems ludicrously overpowered; every player I see using it dominates. Disruption is fucking annoying and panders to the use-item-to-win trend with many of the additions. I kinda like Sabotage in theory but the maps aren't good enough to support it, especially since they really just boil down to awful bottlenecks and grinds.

Some of the maps look really nice (carbonite chamber for example), but others have really awful ambient occlusion issues on my end. I can't tell what DICE has done, but it's like they've increase coverage to fill in all the little details, but lowered the quality and severely reduced the shader updates. As a result there's a very clear blur or lag when moving, as you can see the AO shader failing to keep up with the geometry. I went back and checked the vanilla maps and it's nowhere to be found, so in Bespin it looks terribly cheap and messy. I don't know why this is, maybe a deliberate map specific shader quality reduction to maintain performance and accommodate for the larger play space (some areas of Bespin are very expensive), but I hope it's fixed.

But yeah, going back to the old rosters (even Outer Rim) re-invigorated my fun. Bespin just sucks and highlights a lot of the problems I have with Battlefront. It feels cheap and rushed.

Also man bacta bomb needs to be nerfed. Keep the heal, remove the fucking buffer. Why add that at all? I instantly slants a combat encounter in favour of the user, making it arguably the most useful item in the game.

PrankT

Outer Rim was a waste of time and money. Can't stand small modes.
That explains why you think the last dlc is good. It ruined small modes. Get into some 2 vs. 5 small games with people only using disruptor and bacta bomb. The maps and modes are fine, the other content was horrible.

Battlefront isnt IMO really well made for this Small Maps, that includes the bespin maps too.
It just doesnt work. All this Explosive spamming and other star card spamming just doesnt work with this that very tight designed maps. Its annoying and not fun.

I really hope Battlefront 2 goes more towards big modes. Increase the player count etc.

leng jai

Battlefront isnt IMO really well made for this Small Maps, that includes the bespin maps too.
It just doesnt work. All this Explosive spamming and other star card spamming just doesnt work with this that very tight designed maps. Its annoying and not fun.

I really hope Battlefront 2 goes more towards big modes. Increase the player count etc.

I only play Supremacy 98% of the time.

Large modes are still good. I just hope everything gets nerfed to the ground.

It would be nice if they could do some sort of "basic" playlist for the smaller modes, where everyone has the same basic loadout (jumppack and thermal for example), no power ups, no traits, only choose your blaster and pew pew away.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think the problem is inherently the tight, smaller maps. It's the lazy level design resulting in corridor bottlenecks, and the abundance of broken/unbalanced gear and cards. Beta Drop Zone on Sullist was so much fun to play thanks to the reduced fluff and bullshit, and the map offering a nice balance of crevices and verticality. It encouraged mobility, range, close range, strategy, with a nice dash of chaos.

Battlefront is almost aslways at its worst when an objective or hotspot can only be conquered by moving down bottlenecks. The interior capture point on Endor during phase 1 is an excellent example of this. Some of the maps in Bespin Sabotage, especially during exaction or when there's one target left, are equally guilty. These maps offer literally nothing other than "run at the objective down 2 - 3 corridors, alongside your entire team", and it's fucking lame as shit. It's like the absolute worst of Battlefield 3/4's meatgrinder infantry maps. Throws yourself and your team up against a huddled down enemy over and over and over and over and over and over until I dunno you get lucky or a hero breaks through or some shit. No ebb and flow. No dynamics. No broader strategy or teamwork. Just meatgrinder bullshit and it's fucking horrendous.

Small mode maps that break this pattern, like the Tattooine maps and Sullist, are tons of fun to play in my opinion as you're required to actually navigate layered environments and utilise your gear and skill in interesting ways. Though I can definitely see them as not preferable to people who really enjoy the larger maps, as yeah, the actual style of play changes pretty dramatically.

The Dude

Honestly tho, I think the blast maps are good maps.. The flow feels right, and the actual layouts I love.. Could be simply because I have done about 2k blast matches but I do enjoy those Maps.

I agree with every part of EatChildren's post. I think one solution for Sabotage is to reduce it to 8v8 (or 12v12 even) AND only one H/V per stage.

Honestly tho, I think the blast maps are good maps.. The flow feels right, and the actual layouts I love.. Could be simply because I have done about 2k blast matches but I do enjoy those Maps.
Blast requires the least specialized maps. You can play Blast on literally any map.

The Dude

I agree with every part of EatChildren's post. I think one solution for Sabotage is to reduce it to 8v8 (or 12v12 even) AND only one H/V per stage.

Blast requires the least specialized maps. You can play Blast on literally any map.

Oh I know, just saying as a TDM player they are really laid out well and just big enough with a nice share of hot spots. Some games have terrible TDM maps but battlefront did great with theirs. I just wish they'd add more into the Playlist

Memo to all Rebels playing Turning Point on Hoth
For the love of God, please go around through outside of the hangar on the final control point. Trying to force yourself through the interior narrow corridors DOES NOT WORK.

Should be 70 tonight, looking forward to the shock trooper unlock.
Defies all logic why you would want to use it. You stand out like a sore dick on every outdoor map.

Oh, another piece shitty camo logic-- the Bespin uniform makes Rebels look like Shadow Troopers on Hoth, which helps to trick your own teammates into shooting at you.

pots555

Ok. So this is the first multiplayer game that really hooked me. I have 110 hours played on it. Looking back, I had a lot of fun and still can't believe I put this much time playing it. So, I am ready to be amazed: how many hours have you guys played? Thanks for sharing.

PrankT

Ok. So this is the first multiplayer game that really hooked me. I have 110 hours played on it. Looking back, I had a lot of fun and still can't believe I put this much time playing it. So, I am ready to be amazed: how many hours have you guys played? Thanks for sharing.
184. It's mostly been a great time.

leng jai

The bespin skin is 65, and it is indeed awful. The android skin will be better, but I would have preferred a male and female version.

Ah yeah 65. That blue is horrendous. I'm surprised they haven't patched in an option to make all Imperials have helmets, it's stupid that you can go helmet less in the first place.

Palpable

Why can't they just implement a simpler menu system for the skins? People love customization when it comes to their characters. I understand that each faction has to have continuity with uniforms, but faces and races for rebels would benefit from a simplified customization menu. For example; have a 'race' selector. That opens a submenu for human, Weequay, Rodian, Twi'lek, etc. Clicking any of those opens another menu for gender, and beyond that there could be added options like colors for certain races or hairstyles for humans.

I still think all Stormtroopers should have helmets, though.

The Dude

Memo to all Rebels playing Turning Point on Hoth
For the love of God, please go around through outside of the hangar on the final control point. Trying to force yourself through the interior narrow corridors DOES NOT WORK.

Defies all logic why you would want to use it. You stand out like a sore dick on every outdoor map.

Oh, another piece shitty camo logic-- the Bespin uniform makes Rebels look like Shadow Troopers on Hoth, which helps to trick your own teammates into shooting at you.

It don't matter, soon as they notice they're keeled :p

Toa TAK

Banned
Why can't they just implement a simpler menu system for the skins? People love customization when it comes to their characters. I understand that each faction has to have continuity with uniforms, but faces and races for rebels would benefit from a simplified customization menu. For example; have a 'race' selector. That opens a submenu for human, Weequay, Rodian, Twi'lek, etc. Clicking any of those opens another menu for gender, and beyond that there could be added options like colors for certain races or hairstyles for humans.

I still think all Stormtroopers should have helmets, though.
Yes to all of this.

Especially to ridding helmetless troopers.

just popping in to say the 25% to kill was a stupid change that was made hot off the heels of overwatch instead of being a thoughtful design decision

PrankT

just popping in to say the 25% to kill was a stupid change that was made hot off the heels of overwatch instead of being a thoughtful design decision
Yes, that was just one of the idiotic updates they provided. Matches start too fast, partners spawn in combat instantly, hutt contracts linked to random hero icons on a mode you can't continuously play, and I don't have the strength to talk about disruptor anymore.

leng jai

You guys did a great job of convincing me not to buy the overpriced season pass. The only thing that sucks is that it locks me out of some star cards and weapons like the EE-4.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
You guys did a great job of convincing me not to buy the overpriced season pass. The only thing that sucks is that it locks me out of some star cards and weapons like the EE-4.

Everything about the Outer Rim free weekends just gave me an "eeeeeehhhh" impression of that particular pack so I'm buying a la carte.

The only downside is that I'll unintentionally look like a space-racist when it comes to heroes.

Top Bottom