• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT2| I am altering the OT. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Zereta

What? I figured the exact opposite; they held back through the entirety of this game's life stuff that they obviously want for the sequel. The entirety of Clone Wars and Force Awakens is missing from this game; stuff that one would have expected to have been there on launch.

I would temper expectations on that. I predict we'll get all (most, probably) of the content we ended up with in Battlefront and then Episode 7 stuff, with free 8 stuff after the movie comes out.

I think Prequel era is a dead zone that won't be touched just yet. 1 reason being it seems Lucasarts as a whole is still not willing to completely touch it (allowing for tiny references like Saw) and the second reason? They have to design a completely different type of gameplay for the Separatists.

Expect Battlefront 2 to be more Stormtrooper/First Order Stormtrooper versus Rebel/New Republic/Resistance.

And then a standalone Battlefront: Clone Wars at some point.

LoveCake

What? I figured the exact opposite; they held back through the entirety of this game's life stuff that they obviously want for the sequel. The entirety of Clone Wars and Force Awakens is missing from this game; stuff that one would have expected to have been there on launch.

I didn't like any of the prequel films, and have not seen any of the sequels, I prefer the classic original films, I don't feel there is anything iconic enough in any of the prequels and only guessing the same for the sequels, take this current DLC (Rogue One) where I can play as Jyn Orso and/or Orson Krennic I honestly do not know who these people are (I had to just google the DLC to see who the hero's were/are).

I suppose my original comment was more about the classic scenes have been done in this game and the next game won't have any of the themes from the original three movies in it, to me this (the next SW:BF game) will mean I have no concept of who the characters are or the universe they are in, sort or meaning that it will be like playing Halo or COD because I cannot identify with them.

WillyFive

I didn't like any of the prequel films, and have not seen any of the sequels, I prefer the classic original films, I don't feel there is anything iconic enough in any of the prequels and only guessing the same for the sequels, take this current DLC (Rogue One) where I can play as Jyn Orso and/or Orson Krennic I honestly do not know who these people are (I had to just google the DLC to see who the hero's were/are).

I suppose my original comment was more about the classic scenes have been done in this game and the next game won't have any of the themes from the original three movies in it, to me this (the next SW:BF game) will mean I have no concept of who the characters are or the universe they are in, sort or meaning that it will be like playing Halo or COD because I cannot identify with them.

Ah, so you were just talking at your own personal level, which is fine.

However, the ability to play the Battle of Naboo, fight in Kamino, play in Mustafar, and experience there Battle of Coruscant in real time are things many Star Wars fans have been hoping to do with next-gen graphics for over a decade now.

The original Battlefront 2 included content from both OT and PT movies, and included the entirety of Episode 3 content at launch the same year the movie came out. DICE's game stretched the universe very very thin by constraining themselves to just the OT.

I'd only want them to do the OT and ST eras. They could include locations form the Clone Wars like Kashyyyk, the Imperial Center, etc, but I'd rather if they didn't do Clones vs Droids.

Ozorov

It's up to Lucasarts what they can and can't use. Sounded on the stream that they've got downvoted a couple of times from their master.

OldMan

Banned
The SW Universe is VAST. Why limit your palette? That being said I'd be okay with a classic map pack revisioned.

Best regards,

OM

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I suspect with Battlefront 2 they'll steer away from a jack-of-all-trades design ala Battlefront and go for something more akin to Battlefield where there's one core mode which most game systems are built and balanced around, and offer optional modes on smaller map variations.

WillyFive

I suspect with Battlefront 2 they'll steer away from a jack-of-all-trades design ala Battlefront and go for something more akin to Battlefield where there's one core mode which most game systems are built and balanced around, and offer optional modes on smaller map variations.

I thought that's what this game did, and the exact opposite of Battlefield's jack of all trades design. It was this game that designed everything around Walker Assault, with all its big maps being linear and dependent on map pick ups for balance.

pacman85

I thought that's what this game did, and the exact opposite of Battlefield's jack of all trades design. It was this game that designed everything around Walker Assault, with all its big maps being linear and dependent on map pick ups for balance.
I totally agree and I actually want BF2 to be a jack of all trades using content from the entire Star Wars Universe. They should use BF1 as a base and expand/work from there.

WillyFive

I totally agree and I actually want BF2 to be a jack of all trades using content from the entire Star Wars Universe. They should use BF1 as a base and expand/work from there.

I think it's too late for them to do that. This game should definitely have been a Battlefield reskin, because that's what the original Battlefront games were and you don't hire the devs behind Battlefield to make a sequel to a Battlefield clone to...you know...not make Battlefield.

However, DICE has decided to make something very different with their game; and it would be best for them to double down and make it better next time for their version of Battlefront 2 instead of back-tracking and making essentially the original Battlefront 3 by taking BF1 and adding a Star Wars skin.

Battlefront is closer to Battlefield 1942 than the modern Battlefield games are. That's what the original Battlefront's were, Star Wars games using Battlefield 1942 (specifically) as a template.

I don't want SWBF2 to be a reskinned modern Battlefield game.

LoveCake

Battlefront is closer to Battlefield 1942 than the modern Battlefield games are. That's what the original Battlefront's were, Star Wars games using Battlefield 1942 (specifically) as a template.

I like it how it is.

WillyFive

I think the distinction is misleading. The changes Battlefront 1 and 2 made to the Battlefield formula actually brought it closer to what modern Battlefield is like nowadays; more accessible and intuitive. Battlefront 2 and BF4 are more similar together than Battlefront 2 was to BF2142. A modern Battlefront should have been just like a modern Battlefield game.

pacman85

I think it's too late for them to do that. This game should definitely have been a Battlefield reskin, because that's what the original Battlefront games were and you don't hire the devs behind Battlefield to make a sequel to a Battlefield clone to...you know...not make Battlefield.

However, DICE has decided to make something very different with their game; and it would be best for them to double down and make it better next time for their version of Battlefront 2 instead of back-tracking and making essentially the original Battlefront 3 by taking BF1 and adding a Star Wars skin.
Sorry, I should have clarified but by BF1 I meant Battlefront 1 NOT Battlefield 1. Meaning they already have all of the original trilogy content (maps, heroes, weapons, etc) so they should keep that as a base and add to it for Battlefront 2. Keep building on what you have created and tweak it as necessary.

WillyFive

According to who?

They don't have to be following anything. I appreciated DICE's shake up.

The people who complained that the game was not Battlefront 3.

I agree that they need to double down on their shake-up, it's too late now to course correct; because then you'd anger the fans of the new Battlefront game.

As much as I would like clone wars stuff, they are gonna focus on Sequel trilogy stuff with the new movie coming out especially by the time BF2 is released.

RyanW

I dislike how the bigger maps were just linear, or more like I hate how all the bigger modes were designed to be linear.

If done right you can have big maps designed for modes like Conquest and still work with linear modes like Walker Assault.

LoveCake

I do like how this (Rogue Squad DLC) and the Death Star DLC have a varied mode, flying then FPS then more flying, I hope they do this in the next game.

My original point about the next game:

And WillyFive's reply

Ah, so you were just talking at your own personal level, which is fine.

However, the ability to play the Battle of Naboo, fight in Kamino, play in Mustafar, and experience there Battle of Coruscant in real time are things many Star Wars fans have been hoping to do with next-gen graphics for over a decade now.

The original Battlefront 2 included content from both OT and PT movies, and included the entirety of Episode 3 content at launch the same year the movie came out. DICE's game stretched the universe very very thin by constraining themselves to just the OT.

Yes I agree, and I don't expect SW:BF2 to be just a graphical upgrade, but as I mentioned regarding the iconic scenes in the films, most of these are in the original three movies, the Walker Assault on Hoth BETA was what sold the game to a lot of people, I was not that keen on the game until I played this BETA and it's the longest I have played any FPS game and it's the only online-only FPS game I have owned, they will have Walker Assault in SW:BF2 I simply cannot imagine this mode not being in the game, also the Death Star DLC rescuing R2D2, what I suppose I am getting at is they haven't used up all the good stuff in this first game.

If SW:BF2 Is only sourced from the sequels Episode VII (The Force Awakens), Episode VIII and Rogue One: (A Star Wars Story) I think a lot will be feeling left out, I know I am being a 'stick in the mud' but I feel that the game must still be rooted in the source of the original films, it's not going to be a Star Wars (FPS) game without being able to play as Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker etc I mean they have to mix it up for SW:BF2 imo, however ( I really didn't like the prequels) and I cannot think of anything worse than being able to play as Jar Jar Binks!

Also what is the chance of this happening?
I would like and I hope somebody from EA/Dice reads this, for one last hurrah there is a DLC drop where by there is a Star Card that gives the use of a (colour customisable) lightsaber for time it takes to run down ( 10 seconds), yes it may be a bit of a game-breaker but wouldn't it be a epic finally for the game and it's players that have stayed the course (you would have to be a certain level, 101 for example).

LoveCake

You want to give all level 100 players a lightsaber star card? No offense, but that sounds absolutely terrible.

Only as a star card that lasts for ten seconds or so that can be used twice in a single game at level 101, I feel that we don't get enough Light Sabre action, just an idea I had for a one last hurrah for the game.

MADGAME

Battlefront Updates interviewed a dev (Guillaume); here's some info and a link. Some exerpts below and lots more info in the vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jULR6gPHxE

• Hero bug on Extraction fixed, and you can now choose any hero you want. YES!
  • Vader's multi-tasking - not an ability - can attack, saber throw, and block while force-choking mofos.
  • Luke health buffed a little to 1,100.
  • Chewbacca - Health buffed to 1,500, slightly faster movement speed, main Bowcaster projectile damage buffed.
  • Bossk Predatory Vision fixed.
  • Lando's Power Blast damage fixed, and slightly less homing.
  • Han's Shoulder Charge hitbox increased to match Dengar's
  • Dengar's Hurricane Strike damage display modified - same damage overall, but not 2 damage values for both charge and getting hit. Now you will only see one damage indicator.
  • Leia's Trooper Bane can now be toggled off. Guillaume said he was able to fix Leia's Bane not killing Bacta'd troops, but not enough time to implement and will get it later. **Only evidence so far of a patch after this one**
  • Extraction - fixed Medical Droid blocking Extraction cargo

WillyFive

If SW:BF2 Is only sourced from the sequels Episode VII (The Force Awakens), Episode VIII and Rogue One: (A Star Wars Story) I think a lot will be feeling left out, I know I am being a 'stick in the mud' but I feel that the game must still be rooted in the source of the original films, it's not going to be a Star Wars (FPS) game without being able to play as Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker etc I mean they have to mix it up for SW:BF2 imo, however ( I really didn't like the prequels) and I cannot think of anything worse than being able to play as Jar Jar Binks!

I don't think anyone is implying the addition of ST or PT content means that OT content will be removed.

OldMan

Banned
If we're talking a decade, there's plenty of leg room for all the Star Wars content, hell dating back to the old republic for the potential Battlefront 3. Focus on the current films while they're around.

I'm loving the tropical theme. That gives DICE another environment kit to make maps from for SWBF2.
Exactly.

GeeTeeCee

AI ships: Reduced the damage the AI vehicles deal. This change affects the AI support pick-ups from Y-wings, B-wings, TIE Defenders, & TIE bombers.

Today is a good day.

I'm surprised the TR-50 made it through unchanged.

Trophies:

sAYWSYw.jpg

The one that's not visible is the usual play all maps trophy.

MrDaravon

I think the Armor buff for Vader makes sense actually with him being the more plodding but powerful character (at least as portrayed here), but yeah that seems a bit ridiculous lol.

Oynox

The patch sounds good but I am wondering why they patched the K-16 but not the TL-50 which was way stronger in my eyes...

I am really looking forward to new players from the Ultimate Edition and the EA Access version on Xbox One. Hopefully EA Access owners will get some kind of discount for the DLCs to fill the empty playlists. Feels like no one plays Outer Rim at all.

MrDaravon

PS4 servers just came up!

Edit: Well servers are up, but it says I don't have the Season pass so it won't let me access any of the DLC content or playlists lol.

Experien

On PS4 and in the game but can't DL VR Mission and Scariff doesn't appear to be anywhere. The button keeps directing me to the first DLC DL page.

Top Bottom