• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

jtb

Banned
Maybe Kenobi is like the Star Wars version of Smith.

It was pretty clear McGregor was just phoning it in, but to his credit he was given the prequel scripts and had to act in front of a green screen all the time. To his credit I think he said he had no idea what was going on.

I don't think anyone had an idea of what was going on, least of all Lucas. What a clusterfuck.

Concerning Anakin, I think the Clone Wars cartoon on Cartoon Network does an excellent job developing his characters. But my favorite character Obi Wan Kenobi, has alot of character development in the show.

Since Disney bought Lucasfilms, I hope that when they make new Star Wars movies that they actually expand it and not only focus on Jedi.

By the way, my dream cast for the new star wars movies are Micheal Fassbender, Idris Elba, Guy Pierce, Bruce Willis, Ryan Reynolds, Tom Hardy, Irfan Khan, etc. Can't really think about who else I would want in the new films. With Han Zimmer composing. His music is always really different and fresh to listen to, so I think it would be a great thing if he was involved musically.

I really hope Ewan Mcgregor is in a future starwars film. I really liked him in the prequels :3

JB1981

what is with neogaf and it's dumb nolan haters who think that nolan would try to make Star Wars just like his Batman movies?

The guy isn't retarded, if he directed Star Wars obviously he wouldn't go take the realism approach he did with Batman.

Neogaf lives in an alternate reality where Inception and TDKR were critical failures and bombed at the BO. And yet neogaf worships Guillermo Del Toro who has yet to make a really good American movie. And also neogaf praises hacks such as the Wachowski brothers? lol.

It's such a classic "I'm cool because I hate what's popular" case.

i actually agree with you

Concerning Anakin, I think the Clone Wars cartoon on Cartoon Network does an excellent job developing his characters. But my favorite character Obi Wan Kenobi, has alot of character development in the show.

Since Disney bought Lucasfilms, I hope that when they make new Star Wars movies that they actually expand it and not only focus on Jedi.

By the way, my dream cast for the new star wars movies are Micheal Fassbender, Idris Elba, Guy Pierce, Bruce Willis, Ryan Reynolds, Tom Hardy, Irfan Khan, etc. Can't really think about who else I would want in the new films. With Han Zimmer composing. His music is always really different and fresh to listen to, so I think it would be a great thing if he was involved musically.

I really hope Ewan Mcgregor is in a future starwars film. I really liked him in the prequels :3

Good thing you aren't responsible for casting :p

And as long as John Williams is alive, he will be doing the score, so thinking about any other composers taking on Star Wars is sort of silly, even if Zimmer is amazing.

I'm glad the average NeoGAFer isn't in charge of casting. Their choices are always limited to the last 5 minutes of TV/movies theyve watched. So many unknowns and lesser known actors out there that only a casting director/director would know about.

jtb

Banned
I'm glad the average NeoGAFer isn't in charge of casting. Their choices are always limited to the last 5 minutes of TV/movies theyve watched. So many unknowns and lesser known actors out there that only a casting director/director would know about.

Agreed. Anyways, people know those actors for various iconic roles and I feel like casting any actor on type for these kinds of franchises usually turns out to be more distracting than anything.

Agreed. Anyways, people know those actors for various iconic roles and I feel like casting any actor on type for these kinds of franchises usually turns out to be more distracting than anything.

Definitely. Look at Samuel L. Jackson for instance in the prequels. That being said, someone with Liam Neeson's credit at the time of the first Prequel (in other words, a Schindler's List caliber film, but not much else prior) would certainly be welcome.

Samuel L Jackson wants more money.

Does anyone else kinda want Samuel L Jackson to reprise the Mace Windu role? I liked his role in the prequels so I am all for bringing him back in one form or another. We never saw his body in episode 3 after all. It should be easy enough to come up with a scenario which explains his absence from the original trilogy. They even brought Darth Maul back after all.

jtb

Banned
Does anyone else kinda want Samuel L Jackson to reprise the Mace Windu role? I liked his role in the prequels so I am all for bringing him back in one form or another. We never saw his body in episode 3 after all. It should be easy enough to come up with a scenario which explains his absence from the original trilogy. They even brought Darth Maul back after all.

No.

And Darth Maul is dead too.

No. Sam Jackson brought nothing to the role. Thats largely due to having shit dialogue because George wrote the jedi like castrated monks. Scenes had no emotion because emotion was the dark side or something. Bringing back Windu is unnecessary and does nothing but bring the stank of the prequels onto the new movies.

No. Sam Jackson brought nothing to the role. Thats largely due to having shit dialogue because George wrote the jedi like castrated monks. Scenes had no emotion because emotion was the dark side or something. Bringing back Windu is unnecessary and does nothing but bring the stank of the prequels onto the new movies.

And pads the budget with unnecessarily expensive casting.

thefro

Yep, that's one of the biggest mistakes Lucas made, having them all aspiring to act like monks. Yoda and Obi-Wan have personalities in the OT (heck, half of Dagobah in Empire is Yoda trolling Luke). Hopefully the new Jedi in these movies are much more "fun".

Yep, that's one of the biggest mistakes Lucas made, having them all aspiring to act like monks. Yoda and Obi-Wan have personalities in the OT (heck, half of Dagobah in Empire is Yoda trolling Luke). Hopefully the new Jedi in these movies are much more "fun".

Honestly, i'd rather that Luke (and his descendent) be the only Jedi in the film. The original trilogy was great because there was only 1 guy with super powers in the movie. I think that was one of the underlying reasons the prequels were dumb because it seemed like everyone in the damn universe was kryptonian.

maharg

idspispopd
Honestly, i'd rather that Luke (and his descendent) be the only Jedi in the film. The original trilogy was great because there was only 1 guy with super powers in the movie. I think that was one of the underlying reasons the prequels were dumb because it seemed like everyone in the damn universe was kryptonian.

1? 5 by my count. 6 if you count Leia.

wetwired

Good thing you aren't responsible for casting :p

And as long as John Williams is alive, he will be doing the score, so thinking about any other composers taking on Star Wars is sort of silly, even if Zimmer is amazing.
Williams is retired as far as I know. I think the next best bet for matching his style would be Michael Giacchino.

jtb

Banned
1? 4 by my count. 5 if you count Leia.

Luke, Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, Palpatine, Yoda. + Leia. So 5, maybe 6 :lol

I don't think the problem is so much the quantity, as the quality. All the Jedi in the prequels were the same damn thing, zero creativity on Lucas' part. The same character, the same demeanor, the same weapon, the same force powers, the same sense of overwhelming pointlessness. Mace Windu served zero function in the films other than to have a black dude/Samuel L Jackson on the council. Qui-Gon was even more useless, though at least they rectified that by killing him.

I don't think that means the sequel trilogy should have less Jedi, I just think they each need to be fleshed out more. It's a big bad universe out there, and the OT and the prequels have established that, unlike Kryptonians, Jedi are far from invincible.

wetwired

Williams isn't retired. Hell, he just scored Lincoln this year.
Really? I could of sworn he announced his retirement a year or so back.

I love his work but recently he's lost his touch. I'd rather get some fresh blood involved across the board.

Symphonic

I love his work but recently he's lost his touch. I'd rather get some fresh blood involved across the board.

Doing Star Wars without Williams would be really strange. At this point it's almost a matter of principal.

Blader

He's pseudo-retired. He still scores movies, but only for Spielberg.

I think I would only be comfortable with Giaccino or Shore stepping in for Williams.

Though John Ottman did riff off Williams nicely in Returns, his original stuff isn't quite as rousing.

maharg

idspispopd
Luke, Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, Palpatine, Yoda. + Leia. So 5, maybe 6 :lol

I edited that post twice. Originally had 5/6, then recounted but left someone out, then recounted again and realized it. It's like the friggin' dwarves.

I'll eat a hat if Williams isn't at least involved in the scoring of new SW films as long as he's able, btw.

jtb

Banned
I think I would only be comfortable with Giaccino or Shore stepping in for Williams.

Though John Ottman did riff off Williams nicely in Returns, his original stuff isn't quite as rousing.

I thought Desplat did a good job with the last two Harry Potter movies and I like a lot of the original stuff he's been doing too; he's certainly the current go-to composer in Hollywood atm.

wetwired

Yeah I'd be happy with either of those two. There's a couple of tracks on superman returns that were good but they couldn't reach the heights of the original Williams material.

And keep Zimmer away. I'm not adverse to his work but he doesn't fit the style.

I thought Desplat did a good job with the last two Harry Potter movies and I like a lot of the original stuff he's been doing too; he's certainly the current go-to composer in Hollywood atm.

This might be my favorite part of the Star Wars speculation game so far. Who gets the scoring duties.

I'm pretty certain Williams won't be coming back. Whoever they hire will use his themes, of course, but I bet they either approach him and he passes, or they just decide not to approach him.

I don't know that Desplat is THE current go-to, but he's definitely up there. I'd still put Giacchino above him, especially when it comes to something like this - there's a reason EVERYONE has just sorta assumed he'd get the job regardless of how this whole thing shakes out. And if he does get it - he basically gets to be John Williams AND Jerry Goldsmith all at the same time, scoring Star Trek AND Star Wars simultaneously. That would be fun as hell to hear.

Here's a dark horse: Alan Silvestri. He did a John Williams impersonation ONCE in his career, and that ended up being the Back to the Future score. He's never really tried again (Captain America was pretty halfhearted) but I imagine he's up to the task.

I've said before in this thread, but I think the composer who's proven he can work really well with leitmotif, to support the storytelling musically, is Bear McCreary. Question is whether anyone would even think to ask the guy as he's sorta pigeonholed as the DRUMSDRUMSDRUMS guy, even though his scores are way more complicated than that.

If Williams does get some say, I wonder if he'd suggest his protege, Joel McNeely, who has already scored the Shadows of the Empire media blitz from 96. His cues from that soundtrack ended up being a decent predictor of what the prequel soundtracks would sound like.

I don't think Ottman is on the list, and I don't think he'd want to be. He's probably looked at has having had his crack at Williams w/ Superman Returns, and it wasn't any great shakes.

1? 5 by my count. 6 if you count Leia.

Well im not counting the villians (those are sith lords anyway). In the first movie it was just Obi Wan and then he died, in the second it was yoda training luke and in return of the jedi it was just luke.

that'd be crazy if the same guy did the score for star trek and star wars (although I love giacchino)

He just did the score for Star Tours II last year

I still think, barring any health related issues (maybe thats why rumors of his retirement have come to light?) Williams will return.

If he doesn't most of the suggestions in the last few posts are pretty good to be honest. Except for Bear McCreary.... He doesn't do feature film scores (unless its made for TV)

That being said... lets say Williams doesn't return, my votes for Thomas Newman, the fact that he has a strong relationship with disney certainly helps.

ferr

Well im not counting the villians (those are sith lords anyway). In the first movie it was just Obi Wan and then he died, in the second it was yoda training luke and in return of the jedi it was just luke.

He just did the score for Star Tours II last year

Pretty sure Palpatine had "super powers" whether he was Jedi or not.

this is a weird topic

Pretty sure Palpatine had "super powers" whether he was Jedi or not.

this is a weird topic

yes but thats still a huge difference every hero and villian (except greevious and jango fett thought they could have fooled me) having super powers in the prequels. My point was that I don't want thousands of jedi/sith running around in the sequel trilogy. It should just be 1 hero being a jedi and the rest of the cast being different people like mercs, politicians, etc. In fact the villian shouldn't even be a sith lord it should be someone like Thrawn or Nom Anor like a warlord or some new alien menace.

ferr

Will the next trilogy ruin the whole 'prophecy' thing? I'm all for some more movies and all, but I kind of like the idea of putting the Anakin-is-the-chosen-one thing to rest after the first 6 movies. I'm guessing the 3 new movies won't add a disturbance in the force, everything will still be in balance?

Or maybe Lucas will go all biblical on Anakin and bring him back to life to truly bring balance back to the force.. I mean he already had a virgin mother.

DjRoomba

Banned
Williams is retired as far as I know. I think the next best bet for matching his style would be Michael Giacchino.

It doesnt really matter if Williams returns or not. Do people really think theyre not gonna use his themes if hes not the one composing? I cant think of many memorable new themes he did for the prequels or really that hes done at all since Harry Potter. Giacchino is perfect choice I agree.

jtb

Banned
Will the next trilogy ruin the whole 'prophecy' thing? I'm all for some more movies and all, but I kind of like the idea of putting the Anakin-is-the-chosen-one thing to rest after the first 6 movies. I'm guessing the 3 new movies won't add a disturbance in the force, everything will still be in balance?

Or maybe Lucas will go all biblical on Anakin and bring him back to life to truly bring balance back to the force.. I mean he already had a virgin mother.

Let's hope so. The prophecy was stupid, the virgin birth even dumber, and the whole retroactive "the whole saga is really about Anakin's rise and fall!" was just shameless marketing speak.

thefro

Let's hope so. The prophecy was stupid, the virgin birth even dumber, and the whole retroactive "the whole saga is really about Anakin's rise and fall!" was just shameless marketing speak.

Agreed there. Maybe the real main characters of the movie can meet up with a couple of the Skywalker kids later on, but there's no real "Hero's Journey" for Luke and/or Han/Leia's kids to go on.

And they really should trash "Jedi's can't love, there can be only 2 Sith, etc etc". If the lore interferes with making it a good, fun movie for people to watch it needs to get blown up.

MisterHero

The Jedi are supposed to be dispassionate because their own feelings and instincts conflict with their guidance through the Force. Qui-Gon's feud with the Council is based entirely on this. He was right about Anakin being the Chosen One but couldn't see all the crap he would cause either.

I haven't read the EU books in yeeeaaars but IIRC Luke abandons that principle. It made the pre-Clone Wars Jedi complacent sitting ducks anyways.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It was also a huge missed opportunity where Vader could have been one who did the opposite (less code-abiding) and paint the Jedi Order as being in the wrong, too rigid and code-following, which would have caused them to be responsible for the Republic being unable to win against another force. It would have allowed to make Anakin a smart calculating individual who would win battles for the Republic against a brutal enemy where the Order itself would fail due to their code (nice setup to paint them as a threat to the Republic for being too weak or start rumors of treason to explain their failures, and have the order shut down/eliminated), but also make this a double-edged sword that eventually leads him to seek to put in place order through might, falling to the dark side, and becoming the emperor's hand.

Instead, the idea that the Jedis are the equivalent of virgin priests was never put in doubt, it was made a "good" thing, and Anakin became evil because he was a frustrated dumb kid who fell in love with a girl.

Dumb.

Vader should have become evil because he heard Padme was only attracted to bad boys.

V9hvn.gif

jett

D-Member

What is it with you and superman returns. The soundtrack in that thing couldn't have been more forgettable.

I'm not sure Williams will come back. I mean, I'd love for it to happen, but the dude is old as fuck now and I'm not sure how eager he would be to sign onto another trilogy's work of work.

But yes, Giacc is the one. He will bring balance.

Top Bottom