• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

jtb

Banned
did you see the last third of the third matrix film? That was a test bed for a new Superman film.

:lol great avatar.

and the Matrix sequels were a rushed mess, but they had interesting ideas. Matrix 1 is like the Superman origin story done right. So they'd be halfway there.

MisterHero

Didn't the Waschowskis want to do Plastic Man? That'd be cool.

I wonder what they could do if Disney got them for TRON. Ha

Actually thought Christensen finally got to shine when he became Vader. I never bought him as a nice guy, but pure evil? Natural.

I kind of liked the Palpatine/Windu saber fight, because of how obviously outclassed Palpatine was. He wasn't meant to fight.

Hence the Yoda one being kind of silly. Still had me hyped though.

Hmm No. Christensen is a wooden actor. He brought everybody down a notch in his scenes, including Ewan: "Anakin, palpatine is EVIL!!!!!" - "In my mind, The JEDI ARE EVIL"

God the script was awful.

nomis

I'm glad the average NeoGAFer isn't in charge of casting. Their choices are always limited to the last 5 minutes of TV/movies theyve watched. So many unknowns and lesser known actors out there that only a casting director/director would know about.

Ya but admit it, Tomdris Fasserbatch and would kick some ass in these films.

Come on, man... They could really use more hits.

I would rather them make three bombas in a row that are fantastic, original movies than three huge hits in a row that are middling.

They're getting to make a $200m original sci-fi after Cloud Atlas. They don't need to make any more hits right now.

maharg

idspispopd
I don't think Star Wars fans are really capable of accepting the level of camp that's present in the original trilogy that the Wachowskis would faithfully replicate and spotlight, if Speed Racer is anything to go by.

Anth0ny

If only that was true for the prequels.

Mace Windu's boring ass couldn't be farther from his usual Sam Jackson persona.

Yup. What a disappointing fucking role. I was expecting "bad ass mother fucker: the jedi knight."

Instead, we got literally the opposite. Plinkett covered this. Someone like Morgan Freeman probably would have been a better choice, but I'm pretty sure Jackson was the biggest box office draw at the time, beating out Harrison Ford.

DjRoomba

Banned
Yup. What a disappointing fucking role. I was expecting "bad ass mother fucker: the jedi knight."

Instead, we got literally the opposite. Plinkett covered this. Someone like Morgan Freeman probably would have been a better choice, but I'm pretty sure Jackson was the biggest box office draw at the time, beating out Harrison Ford.

I think in both cases Star Wars was the biggest box office draw, not samuel or ford. lol

Would watch. But I think Speed Racer is incredible, so ymmv.

This seems to be a popular opinion on GAF, hmmm... I thought Speed Racer had about as much merit as a turd, albeit a very colourful psychedelic turd.

I believe there is a another world waiting for us, Ape Gone Insane. A better world, where the Wachowskis direct a Star Wars trilogy. And I'll be waiting for you there.

I loved Cloud Atlas but I feel that was a very different beast.

And 2003 - never forget.

maharg

idspispopd
This seems to be a popular opinion on GAF, hmmm... I thought Speed Racer had about as much merit as a turd, albeit a very colourful psychedelic turd.

There's a weird sort of honesty to Speed Racer. Both in its portrayal of the source material and to the core of childish masculine culture. It basically feels like pretty much exactly what you'd get if you polished up an 8 year old's plot synopsis and gave it to decent->good actors to play. There's just something charming about that.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Yeah I liked Speed Racer. I thought it was good. The Wachowskis are probably hating life right now because they basically wanted to make a movie "like" Star Wars after they finished Cloud Atlas. Now that Star Wars is coming out they won't be filling a void they'll be competing with the original.

jtb

Banned
Agree with the Speed Racer praise. The most important thing it got right for me was the tone. For that, it never broke my suspension of disbelief since you knew from the very start what you were getting into and I could appreciate it at face value as a fun ride.

Big fan of Cloud Atlas too. Same kind of deal; they hit all the right notes tonally that allowed me to forgive a lot of things that didn't translate particularly well from the novel (described as "unfilmable", and probably rightfully so) to the screen.

How come they keep getting big money to make these movies? I mean aren't they coming off two major box office bombs?

Cloud Atlas was pre-sold to a number of international territories. It was one of the widest-spanning international co-productions from a huge range of international investors ever. They weren't expecting to make big bank on it. So it wasn't as big a bomb as many believe.

jaxword

Can't there be multiple canons? I enjoyed the prequels as they came out and am looking forward to the new trilogy (although Indy 4 gave me a taste of what it's like to be extremely disappointed by a series' return), but I don't see what is so great about this new canon when it's not like Star Wars will be the vision of one creator. Is it just because Disney owns the rights? Is that what makes them "god?" There is something really depressing about that regardless of my opinion on the EU.

PS-Sorry for quoting you after you've been banned and can't respond. I know that it's not the best thing to do.

Sokay, struck down, more powerful than before and all.

I suppose there could be multiple canons, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a continuous story?

James Bond gets away with it because only the elements stay the same, the villains and plots don't really need to connect.

Spiderman, ditto.

In video games like Final Fantasy and Zelda, similar suspension of belief.

But SW has always been a continuous narrative. Sort of a different beast to introduce the Multiverse concept NOW, it'd be like a reboot.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Disney Finalizes Purchase of Lucasfilm and STAR WARS

BURBANK, Calif., December 21, 2012 – Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, Robert A. Iger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) announced today that Disney has completed its acquisition of Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC.

"We’re thrilled to welcome Lucasfilm to the Disney family," said Iger. "Star Wars is one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time and this transaction combines that world class content with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets, which we believe will generate growth as well as significant long-term value."

Under the terms of the merger agreement, at closing Disney issued 37,076,679 shares and made a cash payment of $2,208,199,950. Based upon the closing price of Disney shares on December 21, 2012 at $50.00, the transaction has a total value of approximately $4.06 billion.

Lucasfilm’s assets include its massively popular Star Wars franchise, operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production, as well as a substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies. It operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound.
Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=71643#55bT4wq0ZMHE3OFV.99

Mifune

Mehmber
I predict it will be Gore Verbinski. He has experience with big-budget CGI blockbusters plus a good relationship with Disney.

jtb

Banned
Fincher's working with Disney on 20k Leagues. And Kennedy produced Benjamin Button. Just sayin'

It'll be Favreau, won't it

Top Bottom