• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Anth0ny

Oh god, I hate it so much when transformers fans nitpick every thing to death. "oh no there's ten explosions a second". just enjoy the movies, jeez!

oatmeal

Banned

ipQPWqgiCqpak.gif

Xamdou

Lightsaber fights with intense lens flares!!!

Same with the ship battles... man the sheer thought of it's epicness is too much to comprehend!

Honestly though, JJ Abrams revitalized the Star Trek series as well as the MI series as well... on top of kick starting fringe so I'd say he is the best scifi director for taking the helm of the next legendary SW series!

Xamdou

Episode 7 and beyond won't be following the novels right? If it doesn't then JJ Abrams get's a lot of creative freedom with the SW universe.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm really curious as to what the source of conflict is going to be after the Empire is defeated. If the answer is "more Empire", I'll probably be okay with that, if a little disappointed. I'm sure there's a lot of fires to put out after the credits to Jedi roll, but for them to come up with a new Vader-type figure past that might be a stretch. But they have to, right? Here's no cool movie without that...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm really curious as to what the source of conflict is going to be after the Empire is defeated. If the answer is "more Empire", I'll probably be okay with that, if a little disappointed. I'm sure there's a lot of fires to put out after the credits to Jedi roll, but for them to come up with a new Vader-type figure past that might be a stretch. But they have to, right? Here's no cool movie without that...
I think the thrown series was set 3 yrs after rotj. I would love for them to go with that premise but they wouldn't be able to use the old actors.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I think the thrown series was set 3 yrs after rotj. I would love for them to go with that premise but they wouldn't be able to use the old actors.

The Zahn books were five years after, and they're throwing out all of the post-ROTJ stuff.

The Zahn books were five years after, and they're throwing out all of the post-ROTJ stuff.

They haven't said anything about what they're doing with any of the EU, just that the movie will be an original story. Let's not spread misinformation around. Most folks involved with the franchise have been pretty mum on the question of whether or not the new movies will respect the existing continuity.

golem

The sith will always be a thorn in the republics side im guessing.

Skunkers

To be honest, most of the good novels/EU post-ROTJ dealt with the remnants of the Empire. This being a Star Wars movie though, there's gonna have to be a Sith element to it as well (for better or for worse).

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They haven't said anything about what they're doing with any of the EU, just that the movie will be an original story. Let's not spread misinformation around.

We know for a fact that the next movie is taking place 30 years after Jedi.
That plus an original story pretty much seals the EU's fate. 99% at least.

jambo

Blowing up the Death Star != defeating the Empire.

Surely they'll deal with Empire remnants and some Sith running around causing shit.

We know for a fact that the next movie is taking place 30 years after Jedi.
That plus an original story pretty much seals the EU's fate. 99% at least.

We don't even know that. As far as I'm aware (and I've been following this stuff at least somewhat closely), no time frame has been set down.

It's likely that it will probably be 30-40 years post Jedi if the original cast are returning, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will completely run over the EU. There are plenty of ways that the sequels could co-exist peacefully with the existing material. It's really too early to tell, seeing as we don't know any story details whatsoever.

maharg

idspispopd
They'll run all over the EU. There's no way they're going to let 30 years of books that range in quality from utter shit (many of which would directly correlate to periods and characters that are likely to be covered by the new movies) to pretty good dictate what they do.

They'll run all over the EU. There's no way they're going to let 30 years of books that range in quality from utter shit (many of which would directly correlate to periods and characters that are likely to be covered by the new movies) to pretty good dictate what they do.

Watch them royally dump on the remarkable Thrawn trilogy in 20 years when they feel comfortable recasting Luke, Han, and Leia.

So Harry Knowles is reporting that some source told him that they're making a spin-off film focusing on Yoda.

I don't trust Harry Knowles.

inm8num2

So Harry Knowles is reporting that some source told him that they're making a spin-off film focusing on Yoda.

I don't trust Harry Knowles.

AICN hasn't really broken many stories lately. They were hot shit 10 years ago, but now? Plenty of blogs and Twitter accounts get news before them.

I can't remember, but there have been a couple other instances of AICN trying to "break" news in the past year or so, only for it to turn out to be complete b.s.

This I expect to be no different. AICN just wants traffic.

Yeah more side characters, please.

Instead of all storm troopers being Boba Fett, let's do all jedis being rancors this time around.

It will be glorious.

AICN hasn't really broken many stories lately. They were hot shit 10 years ago, but now? Plenty of blogs and Twitter accounts get news before them.

I can't remember, but there have been a couple other instances of AICN trying to "break" news in the past year or so, only for it to turn out to be complete b.s.

This I expect to be no different. AICN just wants traffic.

Yep spot on.

ezekial45

Banned
Did the rumor about this movie having a resurrected Darth Vader fighting old Luke and Han turn out to be true?

I'd really love it if it was fresh start, so to speak.

As I believe someone stated earlier in the thread, one of the big issues in the prequels was that there was no strong physical threat that carried throughout all three movies. Noble would be pretty cool as a Emporer/puppetmaster character, but hopefully they can come up with a cool muscle figure.

As I believe someone stated earlier in the thread, one of the big issues in the prequels was that there was no strong physical threat that carried throughout all three movies. Noble would be pretty cool as a Emporer/puppetmaster figure, but hopefully they can come up with a cool muscle figure.

Noble is going to play a sentient Imperial Walker.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Did the rumor about this movie having a resurrected Darth Vader fighting old Luke and Han turn out to be true?

At the end of the movie, old Luke will blow up a factory of force-using robot Vaders built to replace the Storm Troopers, and sacrifice himself in the process. This is to symbolize Disney's intention to stop whoring those two characters ever again.

But then another director will bring back a CGI ghost Luke in a sequel, to symbolize that with CGI you can whore out characters even after they're dead!

Won

I was wondering what would be next for Noble after Fringe ended and this was actually somehow one of the first things that come to mind. So I hope this actually comes true.

There's a clone Emperor villain in the EU.

I doubt they'd go in that direction with a new actor. With John Noble, I'd guess the appearance of a new Sith Lord and perhaps an Imperial Remnant threatening the New Republic.

Gambit

Darth Walternate? Count me in!
Darth Denethor sounds good, too

That sounds like excellent casting, if true.

inm8num2

Knowing JJ, we won't find out who the fuck he's playing until the final trailer.

In all seriousness, I really do hope Abrams cools it with his shitty cock tease style of hyping up his films.

How else would he build up massive hype for his movies? I have nothing against Abrams but he's reached the point where attaching his name to a trailer is meant to make you go, "Oooooohh, I wonder what it's going to be about?"

It's getting old. While I appreciate that Abrams has a desire to maintain secrecy about film plots and endings, as it was before the internet, his marketing strategy has become repetitive and annoying.

And I can guarantee that the SW VIII trailers will have shot after shot of a dark, mysterious robed figure.

Top Bottom