• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Regardless, everything in that frame should be made into action figures and get at least a 3-issue miniseries at Dark Horse.

Miniseries?
rhzlfTC.jpg

I can't drink to this.

Mission Vao existed 4000 years before Aayla, but rarely gets mentioned :/

Clone wars era is kinda bigger than the old republic obviously.

KOTOR and the like would make for great one off animated flicks for direct to video. I will keep saying that they should go the Marvel/DC route with making animated one shot films for other eras and fan favorite EU material.

Gintamen

First of all that isn't true and second R2D2 just beeps through the whole series and Chewbacca stands in the background and barks occasionaly so wtf are people talking about. If Aayla is too obscure I would make the case that several other main characters like Darth Tyrannus, Yoda, Palpatine, and Mace Windu were good.
R2D2 and Chewbacca have shown their personality and character throughout the trilogy, wtf are you talking about!?

Jeez Amy Allen actually looks like an Alien:

Amy_Allen.jpg
Huh, now you have to diss a human being for not looking 0815. :(

That would be so great, but possible with Disney?

Well they used to with Marvel and some of their animated films, but guess they don't do that anymore really? DC keeps pumping them out though. It seems like it would be perfect cash in opportunity to give the hardcore fans stuff like the Thrawn trilogy while keeping it in it's own continuity. Marvel and DC continuity is all over the place so works well for them. Obviously not going to see this stuff done in live action.

antonz

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

strafer

“We’re about to play Star Wars [audience interrupts with cheers] and each time we play it, I’m reminded of the first time we played it decades ago. Neither I, nor George, nor anyone else involved thought this would go far or in a few years there would be a sequel and I’d have to revisit the themes…and years later another trilogy. Now we’re hearing of a new set of movies coming in 2015, 2016…so I need to make sure I’m still ready to go in a few years for what I hope would be continued work with George…[more cheers].”

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100480

Or maybe he knows more than we do and Lucas is still more involved than we think. I'm afraid that's probably more likely.

It's not. shit, I'm trying to remember where I recently read it, but I believe it was that Kathleen Kennedy profile in Variety where it was basically outright stated that Lucas gave her the keys knowing he basically gets no say from here on in. If she wants to check with him, she can.

Plus, he's declared his intention to sell the Disney stock he got in return for the sale, so basically, there's absolutely zero stake left for him once he starts dipping into that.

Re: Williams, yeah, I know he's 80, I just didn't wanna clown him or make jokes at the expense of his age. I think it's just he's heard there's a new Star Wars movie and he just assumed Lucas is still in charge, because why wouldn't he be? I don't get the sense Williams pays attention to what goes on in Hollywood unless he's hired by someone in Hollywood to do a job.

ghostmind

As long as George isn't primarily responsible for the script, and has nothing to do with dialog or direction then I think we'll be okay.

antonz

Isn't Lucas Creative Consultant for the future SW films? Or did he retire completly?

He is Creative Consultant. He is basically taking on the Roddenberry Role now with the movies. He will still have the influence but the studio etc. can basically overrule him if they decide too

He is Creative Consultant. He is basically taking on the Roddenberry Role now with the movies. He will still have the influence but the studio etc. can basically overrule him if they decide too

Roddenberry was pretty thoroughly ignored by anyone/everyone after The Motion Picture, though. He didn't really have any influence. The title was honorary more than anything, and it was given to him as a means of placating him. Lucas doesn't want or need the placation, as he was the one who instigated the sale of his property in the first place. "Creative Consultant" is more of a political move to reassure people who are worried that Disney is going to ruin Star Wars that Lucas still has a role.

But he doesn't, really.

jtb

Banned
Lucas never wanted to devote his life to Star Wars anyways. He clearly only did the prequels because he wanted to push CG/digital tech and, well, money.

Lucas never wanted to devote his life to Star Wars anyways. He clearly only did the prequels because he wanted to push CG/digital tech and, well, money.

I think it was mostly the money. This interview with Phil Tippett, given after a screening of Jurassic Park at the Alamo Drafthouse, suggests that the Prequels were directed by Lucas solely because it was a condition in the $3 billion endorsement deal with Pepsi. He wasn't going to direct ANY of them until that deal was signed, and then he agreed to direct all three.

Cheebo

Banned
If it was all about the money why is he giving everything away to charity?

So as to have more money to give away to charity? I dunno. But Tippett says his directing the prequels was a condition of getting $3 billion from Pepsi, so he directed. The films were profitable before a single frame was ever shot.

If you're someone who believes in doing as much as you can to help out in the field of education, and you had the means to raise BILLIONS to that end, why wouldn't you do that if given the opportunity? It's what he's doing with the Disney stock, too.

jtb

Banned
How does that work? (Serious question). Like Pepsi just handed Lucas 3 billion dollars to make the prequels? Who were they endorsing?

How does that work? (Serious question). Like Pepsi just handed Lucas 3 billion dollars to make the prequels? Who were they endorsing?

Pepsi wanted that Star Wars license. They figured Star Wars was going to ignite a huge merchandising firestorm like it did in the late 70s, and they wanted a HUGE piece of that. They figured if they paid for the right to put Star Wars on their products, people would buy those products JUST BECAUSE "Star Wars" was on it. They figured that was worth 3 billion to them, but (again, according to Tippett in that interview) they wanted Lucas directly attached to Star Wars, I guess to ensure the new movies maintained a sense of legitimacy or something? I guess? I dunno, but yeah - Pepsi essentially paid for Star Wars in return for the rights to sell billions of dollars in food/merchandise with Star Wars printed on it.

Top Bottom