• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

pel1300

ppl saying john williams still has it are delusional.

just as delusional as those who say Spielberg hasn't lost a step.

Symphonic

Lincoln was not fantastic. and it probably would have been better if Spielberg directed it 20 years ago.

The soundtrack holmes, hence the horn reference.

edit: Also I did really enjoy the movie. I'd say it was fantastic. I guess you could argue it was just good.

jtb

Banned
Lincoln was not fantastic. and it probably would have been better if Spielberg directed it 20 years ago.

Lincoln is fantastic. And it's soundtrack is just fine.

Spielberg hasn't lost a step so much as evolved, which is fine by me.

jtb

Banned
lol...wow.

Lincoln is one of his better dramatic efforts. He'll never make popcorn flicks on the level of Raiders or Jaws again, I get that. Doesn't mean he isn't still making great movies.

2000s Spielberg is about as consistently good as any other period in his career. Some hits (AI, Minority Report, Munich), some misses (War Horse, The Terminal, Indy 4) and some middling, fun affair (Catch Me If You Can, War of the Worlds)

RobbieNick

That was 14 years ago.

Then show me an example of something bad he's done lately or STFU.

I'm really getting sick and tired of all these fucking pessimists all over the internet. "This director sucks, that film can never be good because of this other thing." I'm so fucking sick of it. What did J.J. Abrams do so bad again? Star Trek was awesome. Cloverfield was great up until they decided to fully reveal the monster. Look. Pretty much ANYONE we're getting who's not Lucas is a huge improvement. Clone Wars proves that.

Lincoln is one of his better dramatic efforts. He'll never make popcorn flicks on the level of Raiders or Jaws again, I get that. Doesn't mean he isn't still making great movies.

2000s Spielberg is about as consistently good as any other period in his career. Some hits (AI, Minority Report, Munich), some misses (War Horse, The Terminal, Indy 4) and some middling, fun affair (Catch Me If You Can, War of the Worlds)
Lincoln is definitely NOT one of Spielberg's better dramatic efforts and Catch Me If You Can is anything but middling.

Spielberg's better dramatic efforts are Empire of the Sun, Schindler's List, SPR and Munich. Lincoln is more along the lines of The Color Purple in quality.

jtb

Banned
I'd put Lincoln with those you mentioned, definitely below Schindler's List but on par with Empire of the Sun, Munich for me. And it's definitely better than Saving Private Ryan. (Clearly I liked Lincoln a lot more than you did...)

I think we can agree it's better than Amistad?

Jacob

Then show me an example of something bad he's done lately or STFU.

Dude, I'm not hating on Williams, I'm just pointing out that your example is a bit dated. Chill out. Personally I love his work on the HP films (whatever else I might think about that series) and those came out after TPM, though still about a decade ago now for the first three.

RobbieNick

Dude, I'm not hating on Williams, I'm just pointing out that your example is a bit dated. Chill out. Personally I love his work on the HP films (whatever else I might think about that series) and those came out after TPM, though still about a decade ago now for the first three.

Sorry man. It's just all this negativity that tends to surround EVERYTHING on the internet tends to bug me.

Last decade Spielberg released a slew of films that are better than 95% of every other filmmaker's entire filmography. You're nuts.

no way. Let me go take a look to refresh my memory but there was nothing outstanding. War of the Worlds, A.I., and Minority report were bigtime flops. The Terminal was OK but nothing spectacular and Indy 4 was super shitty.

Star Wars is a late 70's phenomenon that should be left alone. There are only two truly great films in the series which hardly warrants 9 goddamn films pushing some pretty flimsy material to the breaking point repeatedly.

Amazed people are actually interested in these after the fiasco of the last three.

Prequels gave us this...

5IGnUFJ.jpg

So in the end, it was worth it.

Acheron

Banned
Star Wars is a late 70's phenomenon that should be left alone. There are only two truly great films in the series which hardly warrants 9 goddamn films pushing some pretty flimsy material to the breaking point repeatedly.

Amazed people are actually interested in these after the fiasco of the last three.

It's an evergreen property that somehow has incredible mainstream pull even after major missteps. The fact it's able to support endless comics, books, TV episodes and licensed products seven years after it's last film is incredible.

Might just be that Trek and Wars are really the only options for space opera.

It's an evergreen property that somehow has incredible mainstream pull even after major missteps. The fact it's able to support endless comics, books, TV episodes and licensed products seven years after it's last film is incredible.

Might just be that Trek and Wars are really the only options for space opera.

Continuing the series now is just cynical franchising, its a powerful phenomenon but at some point you have to let the damn thing rest in peace. The first two films are fantastic and worth watching, at least until Lucas started fucking with them in his abominable dvd and blu ray releases.

no way. Let me go take a look to refresh my memory but there was nothing outstanding. War of the Worlds, A.I., and Minority report were bigtime flops. The Terminal was OK but nothing spectacular and Indy 4 was super shitty.
A.I, Minority Report an WotW are big time flops, but The Terminal is okay? LOL.

I like how you also conveniently left out Catch Me If You Can and Munich.

Don't know why I bother with you sometimes.
Williams's work on Lincoln was utterly forgettable. Seemed like he was recycling some stuff from SPR. His last great work was AI.

That's from 14 years ago
Munich had a fantastic score, as did Memoirs of a Geisha.

jett

D-Member

I don't remember anything from Geisha, that includes the movie itself, but Munich was good indeed.

shira

I played the n64 game religiously. More proof that episode 1 was the best and only prequel

Crackhead opinions on Spielberg on the Internet. His last decade was incredible and beats other director filmographies handily.

Did you play it jedi style with one hand for each controller/engine

15604.jpg

Izick

Spileberg still has it, but he's definitely made some stinkers. With that said though, what seasoned director who has made so much varied stuff hasn't?

Snake

I certainly wouldn't turn John Williams down if he asked me to compose for the sequel trilogy. Music from the prequels obviously wasn't as good as the originals, but Williams could still contribute some amazing work and you don't shut down that possibility.

Though I've got to say, I bet Michael Giacchino feels like he might be losing out on his dream gig. Guy's probably mourning over some Locke themes right now. I'm sure J.J. has had The Talk with him already. "Don't tell me what I can't do," Giacchino declared. But it was too late; John Williams had already pushed him out of a seventh story window, forever crippling his ability to wield a conducting baton.

I seriously don't think Williams knows Lucas isn't doing Star Wars - and if Lucas isn't doing it, I doubt Williams will still want to.

That said - if he DOES still want to, Abrams has to say yes. Not only is Williams still Williams, but saying no will engender some SERIOUS negative feelings

I seriously don't think Williams knows Lucas isn't doing Star Wars - and if Lucas isn't doing it, I doubt Williams will still want to.

That said - if he DOES still want to, Abrams has to say yes. Not only is Williams still Williams, but saying no will engender some SERIOUS negative feelings

I don't think it matters that much if Williams knows about Lucas' absence or not. The fact that he's open to doing more is enough. Don't forget JJ's insanely good relationship with Spielberg. Steven will be the bridge that binds JJ and Williams. I'd be surprised if Lucas didn't pass his own blessings of JJ onto Williams.

John Williams doesn't even know where he is. Seriously. He's been at my place for the last couple of days and has been scoring shit I do around the house. I'd make him leave, but it's kind of nice.

I don't think it matters that much if Williams knows about Lucas' absence or not. The fact that he's open to doing more is enough. Don't forget JJ's insanely good relationship with Spielberg. Steven will be the bridge that binds JJ and Williams. I'd be surprised if Lucas didn't pass his own blessings of JJ onto Williams.

What I'm saying is that he's open to doing more because he apparently thinks Lucas is making them. That openness probably becomes less so if he learns otherwise.

But yeah, I'm sure Spielberg would broker the deal if needed. Man would have been the best agent who ever lived had he not become one of the best directors who ever lived. Who Framed Roger Rabbit doesn't happen if Spielberg doesn't make those calls. Hell - JJ Abrams isn't directing Star Wars if Spielberg doesn't get involved.

John Williams doesn't even know where he is. Seriously. He's been at my place for the last couple of days and has been scoring shit I do around the house. I'd make him leave, but it's kind of nice.

I've got Richard Donner downstairs playing Red Dead Redemption. He thinks he's directing a western.

Chris R

I don't think your brain could handle that if they made it as fast as the game.

I bet it could, we shall see when someone gets Wipeout up and running on the Rift.

And I love Pod Racers (except for that stupid stage with the upper and lower platforms, I could NEVER stay on the top platform)

Kettch

Continuing the series now is just cynical franchising, its a powerful phenomenon but at some point you have to let the damn thing rest in peace. The first two films are fantastic and worth watching, at least until Lucas started fucking with them in his abominable dvd and blu ray releases.

What damage do you think these new movies are going to do that the prequels haven't already done? I don't see the harm. If they're good, then great. If they're bad, well, I already have some practice with forgetting crap Star Wars movies.

shira

I bet it could, we shall see when someone gets Wipeout up and running on the Rift.

And I love Pod Racers (except for that stupid stage with the upper and lower platforms, I could NEVER stay on the top platform)

In real time? Can you drive a car at 700mph?

Didn't see Catch me if you can but Munich was good I will give you that. Although what was up with that weird sex scene at the end?

But why was Spielbergo even brought up in this thread?? Thankfully he is not involved in Star Wars

Top Bottom