• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Metrotab

Banned
A guy in a suit and a stormtrooper helmet doing a YouTube news show and you wanna know if it's fake or not.

He also keeps showing pictures of a site that he's taking the story from - and never sources the site, or the story. Nor is there ever a link provided. Plus the story isn't very well written (the phrase "casted," for example, would never make it through proofing, as it's incorrect)

It's bullshit.

That's kinda his thing though. He does game reviews as well.

But consider my worries allayed. I'm not good at bullshit detection.
I hate April Fools.

That's kinda his thing though. He does game reviews as well.

Well, yeah. But games are things that exist, as opposed to this "article" he's reading from verbatim that has no source, or link. Has he ever done a video that was about spoilers from any of the books, games, television shows, or anything like that before?

New Star Wars Movies Will Hit Every Summer Beginning in 2015

J.J. Abrams' Episode VII will come first in the summer of 2015 and will be followed every summer after with another new Star Wars movie, alternating between the standalone films we've heard about and the new trilogy that begins with Episode VII.

I guess it will be not that disimilar to the pattern with Marvel films: Standalones, Avengers, Standalones, Avengers 2, Standalones, Avengers 3.

DieH@rd

Banned
Its a good plan. I can think of of 10 good standalone SW stories right now, and one of them per every two years sounds perfect.

monome

no pb with yearly.

if shit, I'll just pass.

Disney knows its shit, and wants to get its money back ASAP.

hopefully, the Lucasarts lady is as smart as they say. she'll need to be. otherwise...I expect major shit to hit the fan.

Epcott

Yearly series?

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that overkill (though maybe it won't be so bad since the TV series SW Underworld is probably dead now).

As much as I hated Clone Wars in the beginning, I wouldn't mind a movie focusing on what happened to Ahsoka Tano (if the character is even canon at this point).

Yearly movies is brilliant, but just as long as they are giving them enough time to create something good. If they just rush out crap, then that's when it'll be a problem.

Yearly movies is brilliant, but just as long as they are giving them enough time to create something good. If they just rush out crap, then that's when it'll be a problem.

Which is probably what's going to happen. Most of those standalone Marvel films, in my opinion, are okay at best. I'm not excited for a bunch of average directors shoehorning established characters into their own feature-length films without the patience to make each film as good as possible.

Also, expect the inevitable retcons that hilariously fail to match the mystique of the good Expanded Universe stories.

Which is probably what's going to happen. Most of those standalone Marvel films, in my opinion, are okay at best. I'm not excited for a bunch of average directors shoehorning established characters into their own feature-length films without the patience to make each film as good as possible.

Also, expect the inevitable retcons that hilariously fail to match the mystique of the good Expanded Universe stories.

Yeah, but hopefully the stand alone stories are about characters that aren't main characters in the trilogy. For example, if we get a Rouge Squadron stand alone movie (a dream of mine), then it wouldn't really affect the trilogy.

Loxley

pattonoswaltstarwars550.jpg

Figured I'd post it here too.

Yeah, but hopefully the stand alone stories are about characters that aren't main characters in the trilogy. For example, if we get a Rouge Squadron stand alone movie (a dream of mine), then it wouldn't really affect the trilogy.

Fucking word, dude. Tycho Celchu and Corran Horn would light up the screen if casted properly.

Forkball

So...

2015: VII
2016: Han Solo Adventures
2017: VIII
2018: Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold: The Saga of Boba Fett
2019: IX
2020: EVEN MORE?

I'm not sure about the interest in the series after IX. People will be Star Wars'd out. At least the Marvel movies are very different in setting and characters, but I feel that people will think "good god, not another lightsaber battle" after five years of having them annually.

So...

I'm not sure about the interest in the series after IX. People will be Star Wars'd out. At least the Marvel movies are very different in setting and characters, but I feel that people will think "good god, not another lightsaber battle" after five years of having them annually.

I doubt we'll see any lightsaber battle in Han Solo Adventures. Anyway they'll just have to move away from familiar settings and story types later on. Old Republic, Rogue Squadron, Ewoks III, kid movies, racing movies, etc.

sarcastor

So...

there's no way they can make a star wars movie every two years. Unless they film it back to back LordoftheRings style.

Blader

Others probably figured this out long ago, but it just occurred to me that 1313 was cancelled for the specific reason that it is Boba Fett EU and may confuse normal people if released anywhere close to Boba Fett film.

Solution: change character.

But the game was originally about someone else and Lucas is the one who the character changed to Boba Fett.

Blader

But Lucas does not own it anymore.

Ok. But no one knew 1313 was starring Boba Fett until after the game was cancelled. So why not just change the character back to someone non-Boba instead of cancelling it outright?

Seems like they just want all future Star Wars games (and merch in general) to be consolidated under the sequel trilogy's banner; no more pre-OT stories.

Ok. But no one knew 1313 was starring Boba Fett until after the game was cancelled. So why not just change the character back to someone non-Boba instead of cancelling it outright?

Seems like they just want all future Star Wars games (and merch in general) to be consolidated under the sequel trilogy's banner; no more pre-OT stories.

I think that was his point.

AdamMPSP

Okay guys, I'm looking for that gif where Lucas admits to going to far in Episode 1 and Rick McCullum just looks like he hates everything. Can anyone help me out?

So...

I'm sure they will stop eventually or slow down after these initial six. Though if they are hits and keep bringing in big bucks, don't see them stopping the money train either.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
If Disney does the movies right, I will watch all of them. Hell, I'll watch all of them anyway I'm sure.

New J.J. quote about his approach:

A self-confessed Star Wars fan, Abrams said he would have to try to mitigate his "geeky fan-boy" feelings about his forthcoming project.

"It's just about about approaching it from as authentic a place as possible, and not trying to apply what you believe or think, as much as trying to filter everything and get at it from the core of the characters.

"[It should be] what you deeply want to see, never what you assume the fans might like."

Also, sorry to say, but I hope Hayden Christensen appears in the new trilogy as a force ghost.

At the very least, it would at least begin to justify his appearance at the end of VI, which I'm still trying to understand.

I hope not. Just ignore those movies and continue off the originals please.

Nah, they really shouldn't ignore them. That's just outrageous, honestly. I don't mean to be a dick about it, but they happened and they came from the mind of the creator of the universe. So, we have to get over that now. If anything, Lucas' probable exclusion from involvement in the upcoming sequels makes THEM the ones to ignore.

Anyway, I think it's fine if they end up on Naboo or something. That kind of tie in to the prequels is acceptable. I actually sort of prefer it to pretending they never happened.

But when the prequel trilogy tried to tie into the originals in completely coincidental ways, like:

Anakin built C3PO
Stormtroopers are Boba Fett's dad.
or
Chewbacca and Yoda know each other

that was all a little too much.

Nah, they really shouldn't ignore them. That's just outrageous, honestly. I don't mean to be a dick about it, but they happened and they came from the mind of the creator of the universe. So, we have to get over that now. If anything, Lucas' probable exclusion from involvement in the upcoming sequels makes THEM the ones to ignore.

Anyway, I think it's fine if they end up on Naboo or something. That kind of tie in to the prequels is acceptable. I actually sort of prefer it to pretending they never happened.

But when the prequel trilogy tried to tie into the originals in completely coincidental ways, like:

Anakin built C3PO
Stormtroopers are Boba Fett's dad.
or
Chewbacca and Yoda know each other

that was all a little too much.

Not all of them. By the time of the OT, many of the stormtroopers were enlistees.

But I agree about acknowledging the prequels. I have a feeling that I will end up rejecting a number of the films Shitsney puts out in favor of the generally Lucas-approved Expanded Universe. Like, seriously, LOL @ the notion that the Heir to the Empire trilogy is going to get retconned. It's probably true, but fuck that noise. Fuck it down to Hell.

Top Bottom