• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Cheebo

Banned
Lucasfilm spokesman declines to spoil the announcement the former owner and current owner are planning on making at 9:45. Therefore, we at TheForce.net are safe in assuming there is no announcement.

Yeah, if this is supposed to be a secret surprise announcement then Lucasfilm PR would of course deny it. Who knows.

The point is you keep saying they are distancing themselves from the prequels, yet there is no proof of that. Whatever logic is being used with that thinking also says they are distancing themselves from OT and all Star Wars? So why would they ignore the prequels in the new films? There is no proof of some kind of anti prequel agenda going on.

I said they're probably not going to mention it. Why? Because they're focusing on the new trilogy to the exclusion of everything else, a premise you agree with.

I don't get why you're disagreeing with me when you agree with me. They're distancing themselves from the prequels. They can't NOT - these new movies will happen almost 100 years after the prequels ended. That's some distance.

Are you arguing that you think the new movies are going to have a bunch of Prequels references in them? Why? What would make you think that? Make a case for that.

Why can't we all just get along? We're getting new Star Wars films from a talented director and writer with Williams almost certainly returning. Agree to disagree on things that haven't been 100% confirmed yet (and you won't know till the films come out) and go have a coke.

Why can't we all just get along? We're getting new Star Wars films from a talented director and writer with Williams almost certainly returning. Agree to disagree on things that haven't been 100% confirmed yet (and you won't know till the films come out) and go have a coke.

eat a dick, koalafucker :)

I said they're probably not going to mention it. Why? Because they're focusing on the new trilogy to the exclusion of everything else, a premise you agree with.

I don't get why you're disagreeing with me when you agree with me. They're distancing themselves from the prequels. They can't NOT - these new movies will happen almost 100 years after the prequels ended. That's some distance.

Are you arguing that you think the new movies are going to have a bunch of Prequels references in them? Why? What would make you think that? Make a case for that.

I think what he wants is Hayden Christsen and Ewok Mcgregor back as Force ghosts discussing things with the new characters and showing up in old video recordings, boba fett to talk like an australian guy, lots of goofy aliens stepping in doodoo and making fart jokes, and big jedi vs. droid battles like the prequels and for Ashoka to be the main charecter

After Prometheus, I can never be excited for a movie again

Demon Ice

Banned
New to this thread but I saw a FB status that there would be some sort of announcement made by George Lucas and the CEO or whatever of Disney tonight, since it's Star Wars day and all that. Is that actually happening or are my FB friends idiots?

Cheebo

Banned
New to this thread but I saw a FB status that there would be some sort of announcement made by George Lucas and the CEO or whatever of Disney tonight, since it's Star Wars day and all that. Is that actually happening or are my FB friends idiots?
Some people are saying sources are telling them a secret major announcement is going down at Disney World at 9:45.

Lucasfilm pr denied it though, however if it is indeed a secret surprise announcement the or would deny it so who knows.

Basically your answer is "maybe". We'll know in an hour.

Some people are saying sources are telling them a secret major announcement is going down at Disney World at 9:45.

Lucasfilm pr denied it though, however if it is indeed a secret surprise announcement the or would deny it so who knows.

Basically your answer is "maybe". We'll know in an hour.

1) Disney never holds press conferences this late at night and if they did they would have been handing out invitations a month in advanced (like Sony and MS do for new consoles)

2) People are at the location now and see no cameras or news people set up which they usually are hours before a big announcement.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Y'know, seeing that Nic Cage clip made me think that Aaron Eckhardt might be okay as something in this...

And I like how humorless Nic's response was whilst sitting in front of a rotating The Croods display.

I want Eva Greene cast as the princess in Episode VII.

813006_57KVY1KUE3VM6Q3TGKYDL5B7O5RNZH_normal-promohq-014_H215351_L.jpg

69359.jpg

Like all movies looking for cast members. You can't go past Clive Owen as Chewy.

Han: She was just using you to get back at me! You think actually think she enjoyed it, fuzzball?

Chewy Owen: I didn't do it to give her a nice time. I fucked her to fuck you up. A good fight is never clean. And yeah, of course she enjoyed it. As you know, she loves a smuggler fuck.

Toparaman

Banned
I wonder how many people would die of joy if the version of Jedi they show is the theatrical version and the announcement was a new release of the Original Trilogy theatrical editions.

That would be fucking huge. Now you've got me excited, you bastard. I mean, if Lucas was willing to finally pass the torch for future movies, maybe...?

It's probably just Lucas trolling the fans. God knows he hates them with a gleeful passion.

inm8num2

they have to be asking viggo mortensen. he would be a balling jedi or sith

Enough worlds have collided. I love Viggo but I think SW needs fresh blood. Other than the key returning OT characters, I hope they go with unknowns or smaller-time actors. Spend money on the script and production, not on expensive faces.

Cheebo

Banned
That would be fucking huge. Now you've got me excited, you bastard. I mean, if Lucas was willing to finally pass the torch for future movies, maybe...?

It's probably just Lucas trolling the fans. God knows he hates them with a gleeful passion.

512px-Kelly_and_George.jpg

inm8num2

I remember people thinking that it was a good sign George was wearing that "Han Shot First" on the KOTCS set, that he was coming around on understanding people's love for the original versions of the OT. In reality it was just him giving a big middle finger to people that don't like "his versions".

Cartman86

Banned
That Star Trek bit is going to piss off Trekkies.

lol

He's been very open about that for a while now, and it shows in the films. They are good, but you can tell they aren't from the mind of someone who loved Trek for a lot of the reasons the rest of us did. I mean many of the old Trek movies weren't really about what I wanted them to be about either. Even if they ended up being good.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just let Nick Nolte play Han Solo this time, let's see what this kid's got!

Toparaman

Banned
He's been very open about that for a while now, and it shows in the films. They are good, but you can tell they aren't from the mind of someone who loved Trek for a lot of the reasons the rest of us did. I mean many of the old Trek movies weren't really about what I wanted them to be about either. Even if they ended up being good.

Yup. Star Trek 09 was a better Star Wars movie than it was a Trek movie.

jtb

Banned
Ugh. Enough of this Star Trek '09 was really a Star Wars movie. No, it wasn't. Just because it wasn't a Star Trek movie doesn't make it a Star Wars movie. It more just follows the traditional blockbuster blueprint of the 2000s.

inm8num2

Ugh. Enough of this "Star Trek '09" was really a Star Wars movie. No, it wasn't. Just because it wasn't a Star Trek movie doesn't make it a Star Wars movie.

I agree with this, though I'd say the entertainment level of ST09 was the kind of entertainment one expected from the prequels.

restless farm-boy searching for adventure
older man with tie to father's history shows up and is a role model
After a bar fight, farm-boy stares up at his destiny on the horizon
boy decides to follow older-man into outer space.
They witness a planet getting destroyed
Boy storms space fortress with grumpy older boy to rescue important person (in this case, older-man)
Boy helps rescue older-man while grumpy older-boy uses fancy flying to save the day.

It's Star Wars wearing a Star Trek costume.

yes, a lot of the plot points can be distilled down to basic Campbellian sources, but knowing the people behind the movie, and knowing their influences, it's pretty hard to argue that Abrams and Lindelof didn't take Orci & Kurtzman's drafts and layer a thick coating of Star Wars over the top of it.

Toparaman

Banned
Ugh. Enough of this Star Trek '09 was really a Star Wars movie. No, it wasn't. Just because it wasn't a Star Trek movie doesn't make it a Star Wars movie. It more just follows the traditional blockbuster blueprint of the 2000s.

Fair enough. Star Wars (original trilogy) is a fantasy story in a sci-fi setting, Star Trek (original series) is sci-fi, and Star Trek 2009 is an action movie in a sci-fi setting.

But if Star Wars Episode 3 is an indication, the Star Wars universe is a pretty good fit for an action movie. Whereas with Star Trek it just feels wrong.

I'm actually surprised that you don't like John Carter, Fatboy. You seem like the kinda dude that would appreciate it.

I appreciate what it was going for, and a couple of my like-minded friends thought it was decent-to-okay. Ultimately, it was too scattered/unfocused. It never felt cohesive. I definitely was open to it, though. Even if I disliked the movie, I thought the pile-on that happened in the media was ridiculously disproportionate. I don't think I'd really want to rewatch it, but the level of ire it got was completely unearned. There were way worse movies released that year that got a fraction of the bullshit.

That was one of the more disappointing parts of that film's marketing - apparently, almost all of the marketing was Stanton-approved. His fundamental mistake in both making the movie and selling it was operating from a frame of mind that assumed there was at least SOME recognition of John Carter as a character. He was such a fan of the character that he got a bit of tunnel-vision about it, and misjudged how many other people were even in the same zip-code he was in. That manifested in the choices he made.

Top Bottom