• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

I suspect there will be more than a few nods and tie-ins to the PT.

Looking at the actions Disney has taken already, and the direction they've already announced they're going in, I'd be surprised if the Prequel Trilogy gets referenced in any way during Episode VII.

They're not going to try to retcon it or anything - they just won't bring it up.

Cheerilee

Nah, they really shouldn't ignore them. That's just outrageous, honestly. I don't mean to be a dick about it, but they happened and they came from the mind of the creator of the universe. So, we have to get over that now.
The Star Wars Holiday Special happened. Chronologically-speaking, that has more reason to be referenced in the sequels. Doesn't mean it should be.

If anything, Lucas' probable exclusion from involvement in the upcoming sequels makes THEM the ones to ignore.
Only if you believe in G-canon.

Looking at the actions Disney has taken already, and the direction they've already announced they're going in, I'd be surprised if the Prequel Trilogy gets referenced in any way during Episode VII.

They're not going to try to retcon it or anything - they just won't bring it up.

I get your angle, but we will still see locations, vehicles and droids from the PT.

I get your angle, but we will still see locations, vehicles and droids from the PT.

I doubt that. I bet we're going to get "futuristic" (ish, I guess, long time ago & all that) versions of OT vehicles. Considering this thing is probably going to be set like, a hundred years after Episode I, I doubt too much of the vehicles/droids will be used.

Closer to 50-60 years, but I get what you are saying.

I just don't agree. I mean we will get "futuristic" versions of some things, but some will be more or less the same, and some will be from the PT.

Closer to 50-60 years, but I get what you are saying.

I just don't agree. I mean we will get "futuristic" versions of some things, but some will be more or less the same, and some will be from the PT.

It's definitely possible, you're right. It just seems to me that Disney's attitude regarding anything prequel/expanded universe is "we're just gonna pretend that never happened, and move forward."

Nah, they really shouldn't ignore them. That's just outrageous, honestly. I don't mean to be a dick about it, but they happened and they came from the mind of the creator of the universe. So, we have to get over that now. If anything, Lucas' probable exclusion from involvement in the upcoming sequels makes THEM the ones to ignore.

Anyway, I think it's fine if they end up on Naboo or something. That kind of tie in to the prequels is acceptable. I actually sort of prefer it to pretending they never happened.

But when the prequel trilogy tried to tie into the originals in completely coincidental ways, like:

Anakin built C3PO
Stormtroopers are Boba Fett's dad.
or
Chewbacca and Yoda know each other

that was all a little too much.

It doesn't even have to be a matter of pretending they never happened I guess but they don't HAVE to tie them in. So much time has passed between the PT and the new movies, so why would they even need to mention anything? I would prefer them just to give us something new. Which I reckon will happen.

I wonder if we're going to see Jedis acting like they do in the OT or whether they will be like the PT.

I think one of the best things those Plinkett reviews pointed out is that lightsabers were over-used in the prequel trilogy. I think seeing a Jedi pull out his lightsaber should be made to be a big fucking deal again.

ghostmind

I wonder if we're going to see Jedis acting like they do in the OT or whether they will be like the PT.

I think one of the best things those Plinkett reviews pointed out is that lightsabers were over-used in the prequel trilogy. I think seeing a Jedi pull out his lightsaber should be made to be a big fucking deal again.

Have the lightsaber battles be as much a battle of wills (psychology and such) as whipping laser swords around. The PT trivialized lightsaber combat.

Loxley

I really liked the way "Jedi-ism" (I have no idea what the official term is) and Force-users in general were referred to and talked about in the OT. It was almost referred to in the same way that Paganism was during the dawn of Christianty, as some form of silly black magic that only stubborn crazy people believed in. With characters referring to it as an "ancient religion" and whats-his-face referring to Vader's devotion to the Force as "sad".

If anything, I would think that by the time of Return of the Jedi rolled around, people would actually be frightened by the shear existence of the Jedi, and wouldn't exactly view them as peace-keepers.

So along the lines of what you said, if a non-Jedi sees a Lightsaber ignite, they would probably shit their pants.

Weren't most of the PT vehicles devolved versions of the OT's vehicles?

No that was just episode 3. In the first 2 movies there vehicles unlike anything in the OT like Darth Tyrannus's solar sailor, the droid control ships, the naboo vehicles, and e Jedi star fighter.

I'm also hoping they don't do Jedi battles like the pt. I'm hoping its only a few Jedi in this trilogy and there more grounded and don't have crazy super powers like the ability to glide through coruscant and surf on lava

strafer

NICK CAGE IS INTERESTED! NICK CAGE IS INTERESTED!!!!

http://youtu.be/nXwEsoJtLSc?t=3m

mHM3DMk.gif

It's definitely possible, you're right. It just seems to me that Disney's attitude regarding anything prequel/expanded universe is "we're just gonna pretend that never happened, and move forward."

There is no proof that Disney is distancing itself from the prequels. Folks jumped on that because of the cancellation of Clone Wars, which really was because Hasbro had decided to drop that toy line at the end of last year, which was most of the shows revenue. They are having no problem going around and canning OT related projects as well from what we have seen. As it's been said, Disney is closing down any internal projects that have nothing to do with the new movie series. It's not just prequel stuff.

moulels

Hold me.

Lucas, Iger At Disney World For "Huge" Announcement

It appears that George Lucas and Disney CEO Bob Iger are at Walt Disney World's Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Florida for a major announcement. The following tweet came across our radar just a few minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/Mike_Gaspar/statuses/330786005546328064

And then Club Jade brought this tweet to our attention:

https://twitter.com/WCTumblr/statuses/330817185578627072

That tweet refers to a screening of Return of the Jedi -- which turns 30 this year -- that is taking place at Hollywood Studios this evening. Stay tuned as we learn more! In the meantime, Twitter users are speculating about the content of Iger's announcement with the hashtag #IgerWatch.

Source

ipfT6X7qITkkS.gif

There is no proof that Disney is distancing itself from the prequels. Folks jumped on that because of the cancellation of Clone Wars, which really was because Hasbro had decided to drop that toy line at the end of last year, which was most of the shows revenue. They are having no problem going around and canning OT related projects as well from what we have seen. As it's been said, Disney is closing down any internal projects that have nothing to do with the new movie series. It's not just prequel stuff.

the fact they're focusing on the new trilogy at the expense of everything else means they're NOT distancing themselves from the prequels, even though you admit they're distancing themselves from the prequels and other stuff, too?

I don't get the argument you're making. They're distancing themselves from the prequels.

Cheebo

Banned
I have a feeling they will make it official today that Hamill, Ford, & Fisher are back and have them on stage with Lucas. Feels like the right day to do that.

I have a feeling they will make it official today that Hamill, Ford, & Fisher are back and have them on stage with Lucas. Feels like the right day to do that.

Or they'll officially be announcing Star Wars land. Which is why Lucas is making the announcement at Disneyland. Come on, son.

jett

D-Member
Or they'll officially be announcing Star Wars land. Which is why Lucas is making the announcement at Disneyland. Come on, son.

Lucas Land. One of the main attractions will be an editing console in which you can ruin the movies to your heart's content.

"
UPDATE #3: A Lucasfilm spokesman just told me that there is nothing he is aware of regarding Mr. Iger and Mr. Lucas at Disney World. In light of that information, it's unlikely that an announcement is coming tonight."

lmao

Cheebo

Banned
Yes, I am aware. But for the sake of an announcement being made by Disney, both locations serve the same contextual purpose.

Well, if the announcement tonight is indeed for a Star Wars theme park then having it at Disney World most likely means it would be located in Florida rather than California.

Yes, I am aware. But for the sake of an announcement being made by Disney, both locations serve the same contextual purpose.

I don't think it's for a Star Wars land though. Disney park projects usually take at least 2-3 years in preproduction (called "blue sky" phase) before they finalize the plans and either get the red or greenlight. That's why the big Cars ride didn't open until just this last summer and we haven't even seen a concept for avatar land. Good things take time.

the fact they're focusing on the new trilogy at the expense of everything else means they're NOT distancing themselves from the prequels, even though you admit they're distancing themselves from the prequels and other stuff, too?

I don't get the argument you're making. They're distancing themselves from the prequels.

The point is you keep saying they are distancing themselves from the prequels, yet there is no proof of that. Whatever logic is being used with that thinking also says they are distancing themselves from OT and all Star Wars? So why would they ignore the prequels in the new films? There is no proof of some kind of anti prequel agenda going on.

Well, if the announcement tonight is indeed for a Star Wars theme park then having it at Disney World most likely means it would be located in Florida rather than California.

The only one that matters

The point is you keep saying they are distancing themselves from the prequels, yet there is no proof of that. Whatever logic is being used with that thinking also says they are distancing themselves from OT and all Star Wars? So why would they ignore the prequels in the new films? There is no proof of some kind of anti prequel agenda going on.

The only one that matters

Dude give up on the prequels. They sucked. Lucas knows it, we know it, and most importantly Disney knows it. Clone Wars should have never existed in the first place and Disney was smart to cut that off. Enjoy the 5 seasons you got and all the other Prequel related merchandise and move on with your life.

Top Bottom