• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

I want Eva Greene cast as the princess in Episode VII.

813006_57KVY1KUE3VM6Q3TGKYDL5B7O5RNZH_normal-promohq-014_H215351_L.jpg

69359.jpg

I would be ok with that.

inm8num2

How awesome would it be if one of the spin-off films were R-rated? That will never happen, but it would be interesting to see.

Disney will let Stanton go back to the franchise after Finding Dory makes 2 billion. Believe.

LOL. Disney will let Stanton out of director jail for Finding Dory, but there's no way in hell they'll be ponying up for a John Carter sequel. At least not until a few decades pass and it becomes an legit cult favourite.

shira

How awesome would it be if one of the spin-off films were R-rated? That will never happen, but it would be interesting to see.
For what? Nudity. They already have tonnes of senseless violence.
Drug use? Spice.
Swearing? Nerf herder.

qindarka

Banned
LOL. Disney will let Stanton out of director jail for Finding Dory, but there's no way in hell they'll be ponying up for a John Carter sequel. At least not until a few decades pass and it becomes an legit cult favourite.

That's no problem then. Stanton can always make WALL-E 2 and Finding Marlin in the downtime.

Still, Disney seems to have issues with non Marvel live action movies as of late. Maybe they will evaluate and realize Carter bombing isn't strictly Stantons fault.

Star Wars being R-Rated is like Superman being R-Rated. At some point you're losing one of the fundamental reasons the stories work.

One of the biggest reasons the EU is so easily dismissed is because one gets the sense the stories being told are the literary equivalent of selfish kids growing up and hoarding their toybox instead of keeping the toys available for everyone.

Lmao John carter was so bad everything from the "hip" marketing (wtf is this "JC" shit) to making dejah into a dorky science nerd (because just being a princess would be sexist) to randomly making it tie into a threat to earth was almost green lantern level bad

jtb

Banned
restless farm-boy searching for adventure
older man with tie to father's history shows up and is a role model
After a bar fight, farm-boy stares up at his destiny on the horizon
boy decides to follow older-man into outer space.
They witness a planet getting destroyed
Boy storms space fortress with grumpy older boy to rescue important person (in this case, older-man)
Boy helps rescue older-man while grumpy older-boy uses fancy flying to save the day.

It's Star Wars wearing a Star Trek costume.

yes, a lot of the plot points can be distilled down to basic Campbellian sources, but knowing the people behind the movie, and knowing their influences, it's pretty hard to argue that Abrams and Lindelof didn't take Orci & Kurtzman's drafts and layer a thick coating of Star Wars over the top of it.

Eh, your similarities between the two are pretty superficial and the first four all happen basically within the first 10 minutes of ST '09, that's not enough for me personally to say that it's a Star Wars movie. Star Wars is as much about the mythic approach, the emotional beats, the growth of Luke into a man. The plot... those plot devices (the old man, the fancy devices saving the day...) are used in every vaguely action/popcorn-y type movie around.

Kirk doesn't become a man in ST '09. He just becomes a dick with a spaceship.

I guess as you say—the basic structure of the film isn't really Star Wars, but it does have a pretty strong Star Wars flavor.

After watching Trek Into Darkness, I'm so fucking pumped that Abrams is directing Ep7. I even went back to the announce thread to recall the reaction and it still makes me laugh that we had people shitting on Abrams while clamoring for fucking Affleck to direct Star Wars.

I mean, goddamn people. :lol

After watching Trek Into Darkness, I'm so fucking pumped that Abrams is directing Ep7. I even went back to the announce thread to recall the reaction and it still makes me laugh that we had people shitting on Abrams while clamoring for fucking Affleck to direct Star Wars.

I think some people have a problem with the two of the biggest space franchises being controlled by the vision of a single man. ... I think.

Cheebo

Banned

Not to mention Star Wars is far more personal and important to him as a franchise than Trek. Abrams will be putting a lot more of his sweat and energy to make sure he gets it right.

The spinoffs? Agreed. But episode 8 is a possibility depending on how 7 goes.
Doubt it. They want 8 to hit two years after 7. Abrams originally wanted 7 to hit in 2016 because he felt 2015 was rushing it. There's a chance, but it sounds like a ridiculously quick schedule for guys like Abrams who like to plan everything out properly before pulling the trigger.

I don't see Abrams directing past Ep7 with Disney's ridiculous schedule.

Kathleen Kennedy wanted Abrams very badly for VII, if the movie is a complete success she'll want him to direct VIII even more and so will he. They'll work it out. Disney could always push the movie back one year and make one more spin-off, or Abrams could stop being a pussy (sorta kidding). Point is where there's a will, there's a way and I expect there will be a ton of will.

Kathleen Kennedy wanted Abrams very badly for VII, if the movie is a complete success she'll want him to direct VIII even more and so will he. They'll work it out.
I have no doubt Kennedy will want him for another one. But I do doubt Abrams will agree to another one if it looks like it could come out undercooked due to Disney's stupid 2 year cycle idea of treating the Episode films like Bond pictures.

Cheebo

Banned
Doubt it. They want 8 to hit two years after 7. Abrams originally wanted 7 to hit in 2016 because he felt 2015 was rushing it. There's a chance, but it sounds like a ridiculously quick schedule for guys like Abrams who like to plan everything out properly before pulling the trigger.
Well Bryan Burk says just the other day they hope to be shooting by early 2014 for the may 2015 release date. Just two years after into darkness.

If trek VII does avengers numbers (or more) you don't think Disney would be willing to delay episode viii one year to keep Abrams? They will.

Btw Sculli, do you not play videogames at all? That's the only explanation I can find for your complete radio silence regarding your avatar's first starring role in years.

Don't put too much stock into Disney's big talk. For awhile they wanted Pixar to pump out 2 films a year until pixar told them no way. Realistically the time table will probably be like Marvel Phase 1 where you see Episode VII in either 2015 or 2016 and then it will be at least 2-3 years before another movie (spinoff or episode). I don't see them going the Jurassic Park 4 route Disney has always been more careful with their big properties.

Personally I think it would be good if they have a different director for each Episode. Maybe get Brad Bird and Guillermo to do one each if things start slipping in quality down the road then bring J.J. back to right the ship.

Cheebo

Banned
Don't put too much stock into Disney's big talk. For awhile they wanted Pixar to pump out 2 films a year until pixar told them no way. Realistically the time table will probably be like Marvel Phase 1 where you see Episode VII in either 2015 or 2016 and then it will be at least 2-3 years before another movie (spinoff or episode). I don't see them going the Jurassic Park 4 route Disney has always been more careful with their big properties.
Yeah. Say Abrams makes them 1.5 or hell even 2 billion with episode VII. If he says he needs 3 years for the next one Disney won't tell him no. They won't want to mess with what worked.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how having an R-Rating could possibly improve a star wars movie. I don't want decapitated limbs or hollywood sex scenes in my star wars movies.
There are several severed limbs in Star Wars.

Cantina in a new hope, Luke's hand in ESB, Anakin in Clone Wars, Anakin again in Revenge of the Sith

Hell Darth Maul gets chopped in half in phantom menace.

Cantina in a new hope, Luke's hand in ESB, Anakin in Clone Wars, Anakin again in Revenge of the Sith

yea and things got pretty steamy on the Millennium Falcon in Empire Strikes Back

B.K.

Don't forget Luke cutting off the Wampa's arm, Han disemboweling a ton-ton, Anakin getting his arm cut off in Episode II, Jango Fett's beheading, and Anakin cutting off Count Dooku's hands and decapitating him.

Woorloog

Banned
Isn't the theory that lightsabers instantly cauterize wounds?

The light burns the flesh, and thats why there is no blood.. That was the explaination that was given at some point.

Well, it was never said in the movies themselves, that just started happening. EU does claim the lightsabers (and blasters) cauterize wounds.
Probably for rating reasons, for some reason bloodless violence is "lesser" violence.

I never get those standards, i don't see any difference beetween "fantasy/bloodless violence" and "violence" and "gory violence".

Don't forget Luke cutting off the Wampa's arm, Han disemboweling a ton-ton, Anakin getting his arm cut off in Episode II, Jango Fett's beheading, and Anakin cutting off Count Dooku's hands and decapitating him.

And then there was Yoda slicing and dicing a lot of clones in EP3.

Top Bottom