• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget Luke cutting off the Wampa's arm, Han disemboweling a ton-ton, Anakin getting his arm cut off in Episode II, Jango Fett's beheading, and Anakin cutting off Count Dooku's hands and decapitating him.
Yep. Couldn't think of them all off the top of my head. Though I did have Anakin EP II

inm8num2

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/10/simon-pegg-talks-star-wars

Simon Pegg has waxed lyrical on J.J. Abrams' take on Star Wars in a recent interview, claiming that "all the things we loved about the first three, we will see again."

“What will he bring to the franchise? Everything that was missing from the last three," enthuses Pegg in the latest issue of Total Film."That’s what he did to Star Trek, really – invigorate it with a little bit of Star Wars magic. He switched it from science-fiction to science-fantasy."

Pegg goes on to describe Star Wars as being in a "mire," and stresses that Abrams is the man to "pull it out."

“He’ll bring the fun back. Lucas seemed to misread what made the first ones great, and concentrate on things that people didn't really care about, or wilfully ignore the things that people cared about. Whereas J.J. will embrace them all.

“We’re going to see the Millennium Falcon again. We’re going to see those characters again. All the things that we loved about the first three, we will see again."

Pegg recently worked with Abrams on Star Trek: Into Darkness.

That bolded part is probably not going to win over any Trek fans who didn't like Abrams' directions with the franchise.

jtb

Banned
ugh... the lack of the Millennium Falcon was not the reason why the prequels sucked. still, I get that Abrams is gonna whore out as much fan service as possible to get asses in seats, and I respect that. just make a good movie too plz

inm8num2

sad to see Simon Pegg is a prequel hater as well

tumblr_lyokjiWFLs1qedzbdo1_500.gif

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I assume there is some literal component to having cameos and returns from the OT... but I hope he more meant in a metaphorical sense.

Star Wars needs OT-like scoundrels, adventurous rebellion, and menacing evil villains... but that doesn't necessarily mean it needs Han Solo (as a main character), the Rebel Alliance or Darth Vader.

sad to see Simon Pegg is a prequel hater as well

Even if you liked the prequels, there is clearly a huge mainstream view that something was missing from the prequels.

It's needs to have swagger and adventure again.... not just dry and nerdy council debates and CG aliens who fart.

Put in the Millenium Falcon for the fans to freak the hell out when it shows up in the trailer.

...Then blow it up two minutes later in the film itself.

inm8num2

I assume there is some literal component to having cameos and returns from the OT... but I hope he more meant in a metaphorical sense.

I think that's what he's basically trying to say. "JJ will restore the magic."

But if the principal OT characters are back it'd make sense to see the Falcon again.

There's a right way to have continuity without being shameless fan service. That's what the prequels were - shrinking down the universe as much as possible and trying to tie every single detail from the OT to the PT.

"It's poetry. It rhymes."

jett

D-Member
I fully expect SW7 to be filled to the brim with references, cameos and all kinds of baggage from the previous movies. The purpose of these new movies is to exploit the brand.

antonz

Problem with pegs comments is Star Trek is not supposed to be Science Fantasy. Star Wars Has always been Science Fantasy but Star Trek IS Science Fiction.

There is a huge difference between the genre

Clevinger

Problem with pegs comments is Star Trek is not supposed to be Science Fantasy. Star Wars Has always been Science Fantasy but Star Trek IS Science Fiction.

I don't think Pegg is a Star Trek fan so I doubt he cares.

inm8num2

Exactly, hence the issues people have had with Abrams' ST vision.

Abrams is and has always been a child of SW. He's a great fit for SW. It's just kind of weird that he'll have spanked his mushroom tattoo onto the two biggest space-oriented franchises.

BocoDragon

I think he's essentially saying "JJ will be good for Star Wars because look how he turned Star Trek into Star Wars".

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

Star Wars needs OT-like scoundrels, adventurous rebellion, and menacing evil villains... but that doesn't necessarily mean it needs Han Solo (as a main character), the Rebel Alliance or Darth Vader.

Even if you liked the prequels, there is clearly a huge mainstream view that something was missing from the prequels.

It's needs to have swagger and adventure again.... not just dry and nerdy council debates and CG aliens who fart.

yeah my comment was just out of frustration. i honestly think Abrams can inject some good sense of adventure again, or at least some funny banter between characters, which is deffo a thing the prequels missed (although one could argue that the trilogy was supposed to be dark and gritty, but I digress)

BocoDragon

yeah my comment was just out of frustration. i honestly think Abrams can inject some good sense of adventure again, or at least some funny banter between characters, which is deffo a thing the prequels missed

Yeah exactly... A little panache to the characters.

(although one could argue that the trilogy was supposed to be dark and gritty, but I digress)

Maybe Episode III was dark.

I was the most bubble-gum fantasy of the entire series.

II was a love story, detective story, full of rather videogamey action sequences ... It had one scene of darkness.

antonz

Also Pegg isn't really just a prequel hater. He cant stand the special editions or anything Lucas has done to fuck with the originals. he flipped out on twitter when he learned about the new changes on the blu ray set for instance.

BocoDragon

Also Pegg isn't really just a prequel hater. He cant stand the special editions or anything Lucas has done to fuck with the originals. he flipped out on twitter when he learned about the new changes on the blu ray set for instance.

Seems like a pretty mainstream view...

inm8num2

Yeah I agree with him too. I refused to buy the blu rays because enough was enough with the changes. Damn shame too cause they look fantastic

Eh, the changes are the least of the problems with the blu-rays. The basis was still awful 2004 Lowry transfer. Colors were still way off. The 2004 set had such highly crushed blacks it was a nightmare. The blu-ray basically took those transfers and brightened them up a bit, but all the same problems are there.

You saved $80.

teiresias

I'm so excited for this already - must be all the pent-up anticipation that went to shit when it was obvious Lucas's prequel trilogy was going to be absolute crap after seeing Episode 1.

I think I may literally suffer cardiac arrest the first time we see a pic of Ford, Fisher, and Hammil in costume (assuming they all come back - sorry haven't been keeping up on casting news or anything, if there's even been any). I than may suffer another one when we get the first trailer.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Changes can be done well, just look at how Paramount has been handling the Star Trek series Blu-Rays, particularly the original series. They updated things, they didn't change things. They did a CGI job on the exterior ship shots, to make it look more modern. They also touched up effects for interior shots as well and made more believable background when needed. Then they had the score re-recorded, since the originals were mono. They didn't change, they just updated.

And most importantly, while the changes were generally received very well with the fandom, they went ahead and included the original stuff on the Blu-Ray as well.

Per Kathleen Kennedy:

We’ve devoted serious time and attention to revisiting the origins of Star Wars as inspiration for our process on the new movie, and I’m thrilled that returning to the UK for production and utilizing the incredible talent there can be a part of that. Speaking from my own longstanding connection to the UK with films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire of the Sun and recently War Horse, it’s very exciting to be heading back.

Jarmel

Banned
The good news is that it seems they're going to aim for trying to make an OT type of film. I need more details though like which type of choreographer they are using and who is doing the cinematography. Switching back to kendo would instantly win a lot of fans over.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

From StarWars.com:

STAR WARS FEATURE FILM PRODUCTION RETURNS TO THE U.K.

Lucasfilm announced today that production of Star Wars: Episode VII will take place in the United Kingdom. All of the six previous live-action Star Wars movies have included UK production in such famed studios as Elstree, Shepperton, Leavesden, Ealing and Pinewood Studios.

No surprise there. Every single SW film has been filmed in part in UK studios.

I just hope they don't pull a Terminator 3 and start rehashing dialogue, jokes, and scenarios from the original trilogy but with a "im too old for this shit" twist. I want close to 90% brand new concepts, charecters, ships, etc. I honestly don't even want the Millenium Falcon and the droids back but I know that's inevitable but please don't repeat stuff from the OT.

I trust J.J. will give us something that is both fresh and good

Jarmel

Banned
I just hope they don't pull a Terminator 3 and start rehashing dialogue, jokes, and scenarios from the original trilogy but with a "im too old for this shit" twist. I want close to 90% brand new concepts, charecters, ships, etc. I honestly don't even want the Millenium Falcon and the droids back but I know that's inevitable but please don't repeat stuff from the OT.

Well he threw in a ton of old Star Trek references in ST09 and it worked without becoming overbearing. I do trust JJ in that he is somewhat decent in regards to this.

I don't think (hope) they'll do too much more than the very very small handful of running "jokes" Star Wars already has. "I have a bad feeling about this".. and.. well that's all I can think of at the moment, haha. (And I wouldn't mind them avoiding that too.) I think Abrams is smart enough to realize Star Wars does not do irony at all.

Bringing additional screenwriters to "polish" is the norm in Hollywood. I'm not really sure if the screenplay is already finished, anyway.

I'm pretty sure that even if Arndt's script required a polish, it sure as shit wouldn't be getting one from Lindelof and co. An Oscar winning screenwriter doesn't usually get his work polished by anyone below his own grade.

Steve Zaillian once had his script go through a heavy polish. It was done by Aaron Sorkin.

jett

D-Member
I'm pretty sure that even if Arndt's script required a polish, it sure as shit wouldn't be getting one from Lindelof and co. An Oscar winning screenwriter doesn't usually get his work polished by anyone below his own grade.

Steve Zaillian once had his script go through a heavy polish. It was done by Aaron Sorkin.

Oh right, he won for Little Miss Sunshine ages ago.

More recently he wrote the scifi pastiche Bomblivion, though. Frankly, I don't even know why he was hired in particular.

edit: just to point it out, I was half-joking, but Abrams always brings one of those three into his projects.

JB1981

More recently he wrote the scifi pastiche Bomblivion, though. Frankly, I don't even know why he was hired in particular.

edit: just to point it out, I was half-joking, but Abrams always brings one of those three into his projects.

Wait who wrote Oblivion ? Movie wasn't half bad

More recently he wrote the scifi pastiche Bomblivion, though.

edit: just to point it out, I was half-joking,

That's good, because he was less than half-responsible between the four writers that worked on it (including Bill Monghan who had his name removed). Don't get me wrong, I don't think Arndt is as good a writer as he's made out to be. I'm just saying that I don't see Lindelof and crew being brought on due to how much control Disney themselves will exercise over the script.

jett

D-Member
That's good, because he was less than half-responsible between the four writers that worked on it (including Bill Monghan who had his name removed). Don't get me wrong, I don't think Arndt is as good a writer as he's made out to be. I'm just saying that I don't see Lindelof and crew being brought on due to how much control Disney themselves will exercise over the script.

That's true. Abrams will probably just do their bidding.

Top Bottom