• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

It's not gonna be a case of Abrams just "doing bidding" or whatever. And I doubt he's going to bring on Orci/Kurtzman/Lindelof (if I remember right, I think Orci's said they're not going to be working on it)

If anyone's going to doctor the script, it's the two other writers (Kinberg & Kasdan) producing the movie, along with Abrams himself, who is a screenwriter as well.

DodgerSan

Eh, the changes are the least of the problems with the blu-rays. The basis was still awful 2004 Lowry transfer. Colors were still way off. The 2004 set had such highly crushed blacks it was a nightmare. The blu-ray basically took those transfers and brightened them up a bit, but all the same problems are there.

You saved $80.

It's still incomprehensible to me how fan edits can have "correct" looking lightsabers when ILM apparently can't. Such a let down.

(Not to mention the Death Star plans at the pilot briefing)...

DMczaf

JJ is going to be following the Lucas outline pretty closely.

Don't expect him to alter anything.

If Into Darkness has taught me anything, it's that Abrams will just remake IV-VI with dumb ass changes that show he doesn't know what made those movies loved in the first place.

Dany

Banned
Star wars needs a fresh take and I'm also sure that JJ isn't going to slap his 'star trek' aesthetic onto star wars.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If Into Darkness has taught me anything, it's that Abrams will just remake IV-VI with dumb ass changes that show he doesn't know what made those movies loved in the first place.
Star Wars has a better writer behind it than the new Star Treks, though.

They're going back to the Velvet Goldmine!

edit: Also, it's entirely possible (if the rumor is true) he'd be playing the villain, in which case, your not liking this dude is a positive.

Snake

Jonathan Rhys Meyers getting a starring role in Episode 7 would be hilarious. At least it would be entertaining-bad instead of Hayden Christiansen's bad-bad.

Looking at what Abrams did w/ Star Trek isn't a bad idea, honestly.

Star Trek wasn't a remake, neither was Into Darkness. But he definitely took recognizable bits and pieces here and there, and remixed them into the stories he was telling. This is pretty obviously an M.O. he applied to Super 8, as well, which was a Spielberg pastiche.

So to think that he's going to look at the Original Trilogy, see what worked, and figure out ways to pull those moments out of context and rework them into whatever the stories Arndt/Kasdan/Kinberg are cooking up? That's not bad speculation, I don't think.

And yeah, if Rhys Meyers really is being cast, I don't know why you'd immediately think "Good guy."

And if he IS the bad guy, that says something about how important the villain is for this trilogy that the actor playing him is the first actor they want locked down after Ford/Hamill/Fisher.

And yeah, if Rhys Meyers really is being cast, I don't know why you'd immediately think "Good guy."

And if he IS the bad guy, that says something about how important the villain is for this trilogy that the actor playing him is the first actor they want locked down after Ford/Hamill/Fisher.

I wonder if they would end up canonizing force unleashed...

I wonder if they would end up canonizing force unleashed...

Canon is going to be an even bigger mess than it ever was. Fan boys used to always argue and fall back to how involved father Lucas was in a production. Now your going to have multimedia explosion with no direct place to fall back on. The fan boys canon wars will be glorious.

You got the new animated series coming too with a bunch of staff that was EU friendly, but no Lucas to back them up and to canonize it anymore by being in charge. And the movies and all their tie in material? LFL attempted to keep a continuity amongst it's different licensed products, wonder how tight things will be with the new heads. Obviously there will be a culling of old material to start fresh, but after that point hows it going to be handled?

Canon is going to be an even bigger mess than it ever was. Fan boys used to always argue and fall back to how involved father Lucas was in a production. Now your going to have multimedia explosion with no direct place to fall back on. The fan boys canon wars will be glorious.

I think it'll be fairly simple: the movies count 100% but nothing else does. Maybe they poach a few things (like Coruscant was poached for the prequels) but anyone expecting them to strictly adhere to events in Random Star Wars Book from the 90s #42 is delusional.

Jarmel

Banned

Into Darkness is still a well-directed movie from a visual standpoint. The problem with the latest Trek movies is the awful scripts which should be fixed with the Star Wars movies.

I think it'll be fairly simple: the movies count 100% but nothing else does. Maybe they poach a few things (like Coruscant was poached for the prequels) but anyone expected them to strictly adhere to events in Random Star Wars Book from the 90s #42 is delusional.

Of course, and it really was always that way. Lucas himself had said the EU and such was it's own thing. He himself borrowed lot from it too when he did the Clone Wars series, but he also did whatever he wanted.

Cheebo

Banned

You got the new animated series coming too with a bunch of staff that was EU friendly, but no Lucas to back them up and to canonize it anymore by being in charge. And the movies and all their tie in material? LFL attempted to keep a continuity amongst it's different licensed products, wonder how tight things will be with the new heads. Obviously there will be a culling of old material to start fresh, but after that point hows it going to be handled?

It's pretty simple. Movies & TV Shows are canon. Expanded material from books, games, comics, etc are not canon.

It's pretty simple. Movies & TV Shows are canon. Expanded material from books, games, comics, etc are not canon.

As it really always has always been, but like I mentioned, the fan boys will still argue over it and with the new stuff out, it will be a fun train wreck. Even when that was how it was before, they still would argue over stuffs validity. "Lucas chose the story path for Starkiller in TFU, omg it's canonz"

Cheebo

Banned
As it really always has always been, but like I mentioned, the fan boys will still argue over it and with the new stuff out, it will be a fun train wreck. Even when that was how it was before, they still would argue over stuffs validity. "Lucas chose the story path for Starkiller in TFU, omg it's canonz"

Lucasfilm has multiple levels of canon. The top 2 are film and tv. Those don't contradict each other and likely will not in the future. Take the films and tv shows as canon and ignore the rest. The EU is all but dead anyway and with Lucasarts shutting down I suspect EA will be focusing far less on narrative Star Wars games and more on stuff like Battlefront.

If anything canon is getting far simpler and easier now with Episode 7 erasing basically all the post-ROTJ EU.

Top Bottom