• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

thefro

Yeah, but if the films suck it is career suicide.
WTF are Jake Lloyd and Hayden doing now?

That's only if you were a relative unknown before you got cast in a lead role. Lots of folks from the prequels have continued to have successful careers (Portman, Neeson, McGregor, Jackson).

Anyway I don't think there's anything to worry about on that front with how good Abrams is at casting.

Yeah, but if the films suck it is career suicide.
WTF are Jake Lloyd and Hayden doing now?

Hayden was in one of the worst movie poster of all time in 2010:

takers.jpg

I guess it makes sense that the words "Star Wars" aren't anywhere on the cover, just a big Bad Robot logo.

But it's weird knowing that's a Star Wars script, and the only thing on it is the Bad Robot logo :)

Chuckl3s

I still don't get how they are going to tell this story with the old cast. I hope they aren't a big part of the movies

Lucas has always said that 7, 8 and 9 would happen 30 years after Return of the Jedi. So they are about that age now. I'm with you tho...I hope they are not big parts in the story.

TCRS

Banned
Though still sad that the EU was done away with I am getting slowly hyped for this. It might be a train crash but it is Star Wars.

Skunkers

I still don't get how they are going to tell this story with the old cast. I hope they aren't a big part of the movies

Fuck that, I hope Han Solo installs a Death Star laser to the Millenium Falcon and positively wrecks shit on the bad guy's spaceship at the end of trilogy. With Lando.

Lucas turned over story notes. Arndt wrote a 50 page treatment for the trilogy arc. Based on that treatment, Arndt was given the job to write the screenplay for VII.

It will likely have contributions from Lawrence Kasdan and JJ Abrams by the time shooting is finished, but yes, it's a Michael Arndt script.

That's been stated multiple times over the course of the thread, I believe. :)

It's been confirmed he wrote it all by his onesy?

Yes. I believe he pitched the treatment for Eps 7-9 to Disney and was then put in charge of the script for Ep7. Then Disney have come out saying Lucas' loose outlines play into it - probably more in a bid to please those who would be scared that the original creator of the universe had nothing to do with the film. I'm sure he at least signed off on the story of these films.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Lucas had to give up his notes before the sale to Disney could be completed. His "consultant" position is almost certainly honorary at best.

You're quite an optimist.

You're quite an optimist.

He's a realist. Lucas is burnt out now. He just wants to live comfortably and fuck his new wife. Plus he doesn't have control anymore. He'll be there for the videos to assuage fan and stockholder's concerns, but that's pretty much it. He's not heavily involved in these films now.

That's not optimistic. Disney made him giving up his notes a condition of the sale. He agreed to it.

If they wanted him to have any actual power, they wouldn't have forced him to sell his unproduced intellectual properties to him as well as rights to the films.

And if Lucas WANTED that power, he woulda never sold Star Wars in the first place.

edit: As Sculli aptly pointed out - he's tired, he's married, he's rich, he's happy. Why the fuck would he want to stick his wick back in Star Wars?

jtb

Banned
so if Lucas is out (which I think is a pretty fair assumption), who's the new caretaker of the franchise?

(please don't be Abrams...)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Kasdan being involved with this is really reassuring to me, I just hope he's still got the goods.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
edit: As Sculli aptly pointed out - he's tired, he's married, he's rich, he's happy. Why the fuck would he want to stick his wick back in Star Wars?

For the same reason he owns and wears a "Han Shot First" t-shirt.

TAJ

Also, Xia seemed pretty sure. And ya know... R&D does tend to have to know what the movie is about far in advance.

Lucas was putting stuff in motion before the Disney sale. Those plans didn't stay the same once Disney bought the property.

What Xia was privy to likely changed past a certain point.

Although, to be fair - pointing at previous Xia posts is way better than pointing to George Lucas' T-shirt collection.

TAJ

Eh... I want to believe. But if Lucas gets a story or screenplay credit, then I'm not seeing it in a theater.

Cheebo

Banned
so if Lucas is out (which I think is a pretty fair assumption), who's the new caretaker of the franchise?

(please don't be Abrams...)

Kathleen Kennedy is the caretaker of the franchise. Episode VII is Abrams movie though through and through. He isn't a director for hire. It's a full on Bad Robot co-production with Lucasfilm and Abrams brought his producer partner with him as well as a a ton of Bad Robot pre-production staff.

Top Bottom