• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

I'm really curious what they're going to do with the story... has there been any talk of that yet?

The closest we've gotten is the "confirmation" of the OT cast returning in some capacity and another casting breakdown somewhere that only had vague archetypes that could have been on any casting breakdown.

So not really. Maybe Comic Con? Maybe not.

Cheebo

Banned
The closest we've gotten is the "confirmation" of the OT cast returning in some capacity and another casting breakdown somewhere that only had vague archetypes that could have been on any casting breakdown.

So not really. Maybe Comic Con? Maybe not.

Lucasfilm also stated it will not have any basis on Star Wars books or comics, that its an entirely original story.

No comic con. They are saving it for D23 in August. Disney already announced Star Wars will be at D23.

Eh... I want to believe. But if Lucas gets a story or screenplay credit, then I'm not seeing it in a theater.

That's kinda silly, but okay.

Michael Arndt wrote the movie. If there's any contribution, it'll be Kasdan & Abrams on top of it.

If he gets a "Story by" credit, I'll be surprised-ish. If anything, he'll get his "consultant" credit, possibly paired with a "based on characters created by George Lucas" credit.

Something like that, maybe.

Cheebo

Banned
That's kinda silly, but okay.

Michael Arndt wrote the movie. If there's any contribution, it'll be Kasdan & Abrams on top of it.

If he gets a "Story by" credit, I'll be surprised-ish. If anything, he'll get his "consultant" credit, possibly paired with a "based on characters created by George Lucas" credit.
Lucas just the other day was asked about Episode VII and he said he has no idea what is going on nor has talked to Abrams.

He is 100% retired.

Cheebo

Banned
Oh one thing else we do know is John Williams is likely to score the movie. Abrams himself said the plan is to have Williams score it. And Williams himself says he is looking forward to scoring it.

Which would make J.J. Abrams the first director not named Steven Spielberg Williams will have done a score for in a decade. Oh and Abrams said principal photography will begin in early 2014 and he'll be moving to England this fall to prep for the shoot.

And I'll be horrified. That's a Crystal Skull scenario.

And an Empire Strikes Back scenario.

It's like you WANT to be mad about this somehow but can't find a fingerhold :)

Anyway, moot point: As Cheebo pointed out - he doesn't know what's going on, and JJ Abrams isn't checking with him.

Seeing as the script is DONE, the idea that Lucas has anything to do with the story of this new movie is pretty much kaput.

I have faith the film will be great based on Abrams alone. The only worry I have is that while Arndt's a good writer, he certainly hasn't shown himself to be daring in any capacity. Just hoping we don't get a fun, but completely expected/safe film with all the fan pandering that goes with it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
And an Empire Strikes Back scenario.

It's like you WANT to be mad about this somehow but can't find a fingerhold :)

Anyway, moot point: As Cheebo pointed out - he doesn't know what's going on, and JJ Abrams isn't checking with him.

Seeing as the script is DONE, the idea that Lucas has anything to do with the story of this new movie is pretty much kaput.

There's still the specter of his notes, outlines, whatever.
And there are certain things that would tip off their inclusion. If we find out that Luke has been a monk since RotJ, then that's a pretty clear indication that Lucas's greasy fingerprints are still all over it.

And there are certain things that would tip off their inclusion. If we find out that Luke has been monk since RotJ, then that's a pretty clear indication that Lucas's greasy fingerprints are still all over it.

Does it really matter if it's well written and directed?

I have faith the film will be great based on Abrams alone. The only worry I have is that while Arndt's a good writer, he certainly hasn't shown himself to be daring in any capacity. Just hoping we don't get a fun, but completely expected/safe film with all the fan pandering that goes with it.

Look at Star Trek and Into Darkness.

That's EXACTLY what we're going to get.

However, definitions of "Pandering" will probably get stretched. I don't think the terms "fanservice" really apply to Star Trek, because JJ's not even remotely aiming his movies at existing fans. He's taking what WORKED on old fans, and repurposing it for new audiences. That's not fanservice. That's - essentially - sampling. Remixing.

Will he do that with Star Wars? I think it's highly likely.

TAJ said:

The "specter?" I mean, if you're gonna be jumping at Lucas Ghosts, I don't know that you're really giving the movie a shot.

I guarantee if you go into that thing playing a game of "Spot the Lucas" you're going to sink the flick for yourself. It'll cease to be a movie, and will become a puzzle-game, whose only ending is you getting pissed off.

It's like building a machine solely for the purpose of ripping scabs off your skin.

Cheebo

Banned

This is a part I am not worried on. Abrams has said he said no to doing the movie when Kennedy called him to ask him to direct. But said he was convinced once she brought him in and had Ardnt pitch him the story.

It was Ardnt's story that won him over. Not Star Wars, since he initially turned it down before hearing what Ardnt had writing..

And there are certain things that would tip off their inclusion. If we find out that Luke has been a monk since RotJ, then that's a pretty clear indication that Lucas's greasy fingerprints are still all over it.

Now, you're sure that you're not actively looking for reasons to hate on this?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Now, you're sure that you're not actively looking for reasons to hate on this?

Definitely not. I actually shed a tear over the Disney buyout. Of joy.
And Abrams was my top pick for director.

Cheebo

Banned
You'll see hints of George Lucas. Obviously. Not because Lucas will have his hands on the script but because Abrams is bond to pay some homages to Lucasisms. Which in itself is not necessary a bad thing. Homaging classical Lucas style is much different than a modern Lucas film. He did that in his two Star Trek movies already, especially the 2009 film which has heavy hints of inspiration from A New Hope.

It's Abrams movie period. Not Lucas's.

inm8num2

Lucas isn't really going to be involved other than maybe nodding, "Uh huh," when Abrams and Kennedy tell him what they're doing.

They'll throw him a bone every now and then when he shows interest in the production, but otherwise this will be an Abrams/Arndt joint.

Cheebo

Banned
Lucas isn't really going to be involved other than maybe nodding, "Uh huh," when Abrams and Kennedy tell him what they're doing.

They'll throw him a bone every now and then when he shows interest in the production, but otherwise this will be an Abrams/Arndt joint.

And based on every interview since the Disney deal Lucas has shown nothing but complete disinterest in being involved in the movie. I am not sure why this is even something to fear at ALL.

Definitely not. I actually shed a tear over the Disney buyout. Of joy.
And Abrams was my top pick for director.
Let it go. Lucas has retired. Seems like that would be enough to stop playa hating and appreciate the universe he created for Disney to romp around in.

And based on every interview since the Disney deal Lucas has shown nothing but complete disinterest in being involved in the movie. I am not sure why this is even something to fear at ALL.

Geeks don't know how to approach anything without cynicism and pre-disappointment in the 21st century.

Oddly I think we have the prequels to thank for that particular phenomenon.

cj_iwakura

I enjoyed Into Darkness, but it lost a lot of steam once it started rehashing
Wrath of Khan.

Hopefully Episode 7 tries to be more original.

TAJ

Let it go. Lucas has retired. Seems like that would be enough to stop playa hating and appreciate the universe he created for Disney to romp around in.

He didn't create the universe, but he likes to think he did.

inm8num2

Exactly. Lucas has literally and mentally cashed out. He's done. He doesn't care as long as the brand lives on and remains in good hands.

Geeks don't know how to approach anything without cynicism and pre-disappointment in the 21st century.

Oddly I think we have the prequels to thank for that particular phenomenon.

Can't blame them too much, I suppose.

Anth0ny

He won't need to tell Abrams "faster and more intense", that's for sure.

qindarka

Banned

For goodness sake stop trying to diminish his achievements. A lot of Star Wars success may have come down to the other talented people around him but he was the one who first came up with the idea and hired those people.

Forgetting people's problems with the script, Abrams stepped up his directing game big time in STiD. His visual language and intuition about how to move the camera through a scene hasn't been better. He's also a man who likes to mix big practical sets with CG.

Ep VII is going to be good.

TAJ

For goodness sake stop trying to diminish his achievements. A lot of Star Wars success may have come down to the other talented people around him but he was the one who first came up with the idea and hired those people.

Hey guys, I just paid a doctor. Now I'm a doctor.
Maybe if Lucas was a Cameron. But he's no Cameron.

Bad Robot just tweeted this pic...

BPVZYBYCQAEUC9G.jpg

https://twitter.com/bad_robot/status/357290014658412544/photo/1

Hype!

Star Wars, by ultra-safe Abrams and the writer of Toy Bore-y 3? I am not even remotely hopeful.

I'm still pissed that Toy Story 3 stole an award from L'Illusionniste

TAJ

Wow. I don't even know how to respond to that. With a piss poor attitude like that, I highly doubt you're going to enjoy anything coming out of Disney. Good luck to you.

Huh? That attitude should mean I'd think the franchise would be fine without him, which I do.

Star Wars, by ultra-safe Abrams and the writer of Toy Bore-y 3? I am not even remotely hopeful.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Toy Story 3, but The Illusionist wasn't exactly spectacular coming off the back of Triplets.

TAJ

You'll find something to complain about, I'm sure.

Yes, modern Lucasisms, if any.
But I liked Into Darkness a lot and GAF didn't like it at all, so who are the complainers really?

Cheebo

Banned

Yes he did. You have your head in the sand so deep out of hatred for Lucas.
Go read this incredible book:
Making-of-Star-Wars-cover.jpg

The 3 year script writing process that he went through of evolving his simple Flash Gordon/Hidden Fortress remake into the creation of the Star Wars universe is a fascinating one.

Anth0ny

Forgetting people's problems with the script, Abrams stepped up his directing game big time in STiD. His visual language and intuition about how to move the camera through a scene hasn't been better. He's also a man who likes to mix big practical sets with CG.

Ep VII is going to be good.

That's all I as for. It's not 1999 anymore, it would be silly to expect some fucking masterpiece here.

I'm confident Abrams will deliver a damn solid Star Wars film.

Cheebo

Banned
All the people who complain will probably be the same ones going nuts with nostalgic filled hype soon as the first teaser shows a shot of Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker wielding a lightsaber.

TAJ

Yes he did. You have your head in the sand so deep out of hatred for Lucas.
Go read this incredible book:
Making-of-Star-Wars-cover.jpg

The 3 year script writing process that he went through of evolving his simple Flash Gordon/Hidden Fortress remake into the creation of the Star Wars universe is a fascinating one.

I'm not reading yet another book on that, especially not one written 30 years after the fact.

I really hope the use of lightsabers is heavily reduced in these films. They became about as exciting as explosions in a Michael Bay film during the prequels.

ctothej

Please. For a movie that needs to be PG (you bet Disney will be gunning for that children's merchandise), they couldn't have found a more qualified writer.

Jarmel

Banned
Why are people worried about Lucas? I'm much more worried that Lindelof or the other two dunces somehow get chances of a rewrite. No matter how small of a possibility, that scares me more than any involvement Lucas has/had.

Top Bottom