• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

There was also a strong rumor recently that Disney is going to release Ep VII in Christmas 2015 instead of summer.

This is interesting mainly because if they keep to their two-year cycle for the Episode films, it would put Episode 8 head to head with Avatar 3.

Skunkers

I thought Han being former Imperial was more canon than the usual EU... Wasn't it mentioned in that really early Han Solo book trilogy, or in one of the novelizations or something? If so it might imply that it was from Lucas' notes.

IIRC, yes. Also, one of the biggest things Lucas forbade the EU authors to touch was the major details of his military career and the exact circumstances of how he got the Corellian Bloodstripes. Presumably because he planned to detail them in the prequels, but for whatever reason, he wound up not dealing with Han in the prequels.

There was also a strong rumor recently that Disney is going to release Ep VII in Christmas 2015 instead of summer.

This is interesting mainly because if they keep to their two-year cycle for the Episode films, it would put Episode 8 head to head with Avatar 3.

It wasn't really "Strong." Basically the idea was brought up and shitcanned pretty quickly, and it only got out as scuttlebutt amongst the media long after the fact - same with the "JJ might leave" rumor, which was already handled long before anyone heard about it.

That said - I liked the idea quite a bit, and think they should've rolled with it. Move it to Christmas. Guaranteed it's going to have longer legs there, financially.

There ain't gonna be no fighting. It's gonna be a massacre.

There ain't gonna be no fighting. It's gonna be a massacre.

eqYsA6zl.png

Blader

It wasn't really "Strong." Basically the idea was brought up and shitcanned pretty quickly, and it only got out as scuttlebutt amongst the media long after the fact - same with the "JJ might leave" rumor, which was already handled long before anyone heard about it.

That said - I liked the idea quite a bit, and think they should've rolled with it. Move it to Christmas. Guaranteed it's going to have longer legs there, financially.

When did that happen?

DjRoomba

Banned
I have no idea what this Thrawn, extended universe Star Wars books stuff is, but it sounds like the exact kind of shit that made people hate the prequels

I have no idea what this Thrawn, extended universe Star Wars books stuff is, but it sounds like the exact kind of shit that made people hate the prequels
It's actually pretty cool, IMO. You should check it out. That said, I have no idea how well it would adapt to film (not that it even COULD be adapted at this point without major modifications.)

Thrawn is probably the greatest Star Wars villian after vader and palps. He is superior to all the villians they used in the prequels.

120v

i'm reading the thrawn trilogy now... i'm kind of holding out hope they loosely base some parts off of it, unless they have something way better in mind. i know the prequels took cues from the EU, like the city of coruscant for example

shira

ILM vs WETA the real fight.

Thrawn is better than the Sith for the following reasons:

1) His cause is just, in his own eyes. His goal is to bring stability to the galaxy, not to conquer or oppress. He believes a strong imperial government is the only thing that will save the galaxy from further civil war and chaos (what followed the death of the Emperor). This is why you can empathize with him, even if you disagree.

2) He is an alien stuck in a xenophobic Empire. In case anyone didn't notice, the Empire was entirely human. He rose to power in the navy based on his brilliance, even against massive resistance. It's like if Hitler died and then a Jew become the new Fuhrer. You know he means business.

3) He is a genius. He is able to predict the actions of others based on their racial and cultural identity and backgrounds, and on top of that is a brilliant tactician.

4) He has creatures which can nullify the force in short range, making the Jedi useless.

However, here are the weaknesses of using him in Star Wars movies, where you need to dumb things down:

1) He is too grey morally. He needs to be evil to be the bad guy, which is why I expect the cheap cop-out of having the Emperor's force ghost appear as the villain. The Star Wars movies don't tolerate moral relativism, they require good vs evil.

2) He doesn't use the force, in fact he uses tools to suppress it. This means no lightsaber fights. Marketing requirements demand lightsaber duels.

--------

I fully expect the sequel trilogy to be much better than the prequels, and there's a chance they could be as good as the originals (taking nostalgia out of the equation). However, they will never be as good as they could be purely because there is now a Star Wars tradition and people will be too afraid to break it. That is why I expect the Emperor to be back, the Sith to be back (a battle in the nether world perhaps, the dead Sith vs dead Jedi?), and I wouldn't put it past them to have a death star...or maybe ghost death star. :p

120v

<snip>

also the entire point of Episodes I-VI is supposed to be about the dissolution of the Sith... so bringing them back like a rabbit out of a hat seems kind of cheap to me. i'm sure they'll pull it off okay but it begs the question if the entire saga needs to be about jedi vs. sith. i know star wars was never perplexingly deep but i'd like to think there's going to be more varied story arcs, assuming there's several more main movies on the way

LastNac

No. There were things there were off-limits for EU authors, and it changed once each movie came out.

Prior to Ep1 all Vader origin stuff, even relating to the suit, was off-limits. Zahn wanted the Nogri's faces to look like Vader's mask, but Lucas killed that for an example.

The only stuff that's 100% canon is what happens in the movies, and that trumps everything else.

You can call the books "C-Canon" if you like, but that's still not 100% official canon that trumps everything.

Before Episode VII was announced, Lucas said this:

Seem to ignore the fact that much of the last 15 years of Star Wars, movies included, have been influenced by EU.

also the entire point of Episodes I-VI is supposed to be about the dissolution of the Sith... so bringing them back like a rabbit out of a hat seems kind of cheap to me. i'm sure they'll pull it off okay but it begs the question if the entire saga needs to be about jedi vs. sith. i know star wars was never perplexingly deep but i'd like to think there's going to be more varied story arcs, assuming there's several more main movies on the way

NJO series provided a pretty awesome counterbalance to the myriad Galactic Civil Wars. Would be nice to see that on screen.

1) His cause is just, in his own eyes. His goal is to bring stability to the galaxy, not to conquer or oppress. He believes a strong imperial government is the only thing that will save the galaxy from further civil war and chaos (what followed the death of the Emperor). This is why you can empathize with him, even if you disagree.

2) He is an alien stuck in a xenophobic Empire. In case anyone didn't notice, the Empire was entirely human. He rose to power in the navy based on his brilliance, even against massive resistance. It's like if Hitler died and then a Jew become the new Fuhrer. You know he means business.

3) He is a genius. He is able to predict the actions of others based on their racial and cultural identity and backgrounds, and on top of that is a brilliant tactician.

4) He has creatures which can nullify the force in short range, making the Jedi useless.

However, here are the weaknesses of using him in Star Wars movies, where you need to dumb things down:

1) He is too grey morally. He needs to be evil to be the bad guy, which is why I expect the cheap cop-out of having the Emperor's force ghost appear as the villain. The Star Wars movies don't tolerate moral relativism, they require good vs evil.

2) He doesn't use the force, in fact he uses tools to suppress it. This means no lightsaber fights. Marketing requirements demand lightsaber duels.

--------

I fully expect the sequel trilogy to be much better than the prequels, and there's a chance they could be as good as the originals (taking nostalgia out of the equation). However, they will never be as good as they could be purely because there is now a Star Wars tradition and people will be too afraid to break it. That is why I expect the Emperor to be back, the Sith to be back (a battle in the nether world perhaps, the dead Sith vs dead Jedi?), and I wouldn't put it past them to have a death star...or maybe ghost death star. :p

Well the emperor didn't use light sabers in the original trilogy either. They can stil have Sith or a new villian to fight the Jedi head on and thrawn can be a mastermind controlling the imperial remnant in the background. Possibly as a third party fighting against the republic and the Sith.

Cumberbatch was solid in Into Darkness. Charges that he was "overacting" upthread make no real sense, to me. If anything, he was consistently underplaying the character.

Only issue I had with Cumberbatch in Into Darkness was when he was in rage mode. Those times I didn't really enjoy him, but when he was in his calm and completely in charge mode he was awesome.

Only issue I had with Cumberbatch in Into Darkness was when he was in rage mode. Those times I didn't really enjoy him, but when he was in his calm and completely in charge mode he was awesome.

Really? To me the best scene in the film is when he grabs that dudes face and is like "you should have let me ssslleeeppp!"

Hex

Banned
I think he did great with the stuff he had. His line delivery for the most part was fantastic other than his initial name statement.

This is the important part.
He made what he had to work with infinitely better than the sum of its parts.
I can think of very few others who could have done the role that would not have come off as farcical.

Top Bottom