• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

A New Dawn doesn't seem to make sense as a title. It sounds hopeful, but presumably the new trilogy will be about a new evil rising. So beyond it just being a BS rumor, it doesn't seem very plausible.

Dawn isn't really positive or negative, it's a pretty neutral word to use for a new beginning. No doubt the first movie of the trilogy will be a bit lighter with the introduction of classic and all new cast of characters. The real shit getting real will probably be for the 2nd film.

Dawn is almost universally used in the positive sense. Nightfall or sunset is also almost universally used in the negative sense. This is because night is dangerous for humans, evolutionarily speaking, while the daytime is safe.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm still a bit surprised they're actually going along with this. I'm wondering how much different in style this is going to be from the prequel trilogy? I mean, after Cloverfield, Star Trek 2009 (I haven't seen Into Darkness yet) and Fringe I have much faith in Abrams. I think he'll do a better job than Lucas without much doubt. But, being a direct sequel to the OT makes me wonder if it's going to have a more minimalistic appearance, for example.

maharg

idspispopd
A New Dawn doesn't seem to make sense as a title. It sounds hopeful, but presumably the new trilogy will be about a new evil rising. So beyond it just being a BS rumor, it doesn't seem very plausible.

Both the existing trilogies start on an up-beat story with only shades of the larger conflict to come. I don't see why this one would be any different.

Hex

Banned

Episode IV was A New Hope, why would this not make sense?

jett

D-Member
Title won't be New Dawn.

Someone misread it. It's actually A New Lawn.

tumblr_ls4lxrw80J1r3jygyo1_500.jpg

Branduil

Both the existing trilogies start on an up-beat story with only shades of the larger conflict to come. I don't see why this one would be any different.

Yeah, but "A New Dawn" doesn't seem to refer to anything that would be in the new movie as much as past events and specifically the end of episode 6. All of the other movies refer to the subject of the movie itself.

It's a nitpick but it just doesn't sound the same as the other titles to me, which of course makes sense if it's fake.

Episode IV was A New Hope, why would this not make sense?

That's because Episode IV is the beginning of the downfall of the Galactic Empire. They had been living in fear for 20 or so years and so the coming together of Leia, Luke and Han was the beginning of hope that the Empire will fall.

With regards to this title, when we last saw everyone, the implication was that everything was going to be a-okay. Unless everything wasn't okay, and the rebel alliance formed a government even worse than the Empire, the title doesn't make a lick of sense.

maharg

idspispopd
That's because Episode IV is the beginning of the downfall of the Galactic Empire. They had been living in fear for 20 or so years and so the coming together of Leia, Luke and Han was the beginning of hope that the Empire will fall.

With regards to this title, when we last saw everyone, the implication was that everything was going to be a-okay. Unless everything wasn't okay, and the rebel alliance formed a government even worse than the Empire, the title doesn't make a lick of sense.

Probably did. I don't trust Mon Mothma.

Is it wrong that I want 3p0 to finally bite it?

I'd rather they just have brand new droid companions but no why would you want the droids to die? The whole thing is their essentially immortal and have been with the Skywalkers for generations. I wouldn't mind their consciousness transferred to sleeker new droid bodies though. That would be neat.

Mariolee

I'd rather they just have brand new droid companions but no why would you want the droids to die? The whole thing is their essentially immortal and have been with the Skywalkers for generations. I wouldn't mind their consciousness transferred to sleeker new droid bodies though. That would be neat.

No. At most, C3PO could get a nice cleaning or a new sheen, and for comedic effect he could say he feel brand new when he looks exactly the same.

Hex

Banned

It is the dawn of a new age, the era of the Empire is over (at least as far as they think I am sure).
Everyone thinks that they are coming out of the darkness that was the Imperial rule that was in place for decades..
I would say it is quite fitting.
But again, as it is just a rumor it is too much effort put into it.

If Palpatine really does come back maybe he will finally reveal that he was Anakin's father.

That's actually interesting. But I imagine it would be more along the lines of "I used the force to create you."

And it would be just the sort of thing Lucas would envision.

EDIT - Also, the whole A New Dawn thing is moot. Even if it's an acceptable title, the original source was before Disney even bought Lucasfilm and got the ball rolling. There wasn't even a script at that point.

It is the dawn of a new age, the era of the Empire is over (at least as far as they think I am sure).
Everyone thinks that they are coming out of the darkness that was the Imperial rule that was in place for decades..
I would say it is quite fitting.
But again, as it is just a rumor it is too much effort put into it.

Can you really say it's the dawn of a new age? This is going to take place 30 years after Return of the Jedi. By that point, the New Republic will have been around longer than the Galactic Empire was

bill0527

I won't bitch about this title.

Not after seeing a title like The Phantom Menace, which sounds more like an episode of Scooby Doo than it does a Star Wars movie.

I won't bitch about this title.

Wait, what title?

Is there a new title rumor going around again? Is that why we're all in here?

The "A New Dawn" title got debunked a page ago.

edit: YES. We've finally hit the stage where we start openly guessing at what the thing might be called!

I like the idea of the word "rebellion" being in there somewhere, but "Shadow of the Past" sounds Star Wars-y.

Top Bottom