• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Rich!

And a CG Barf.

RIP John Candy.

continuing the theme though, Ep 7 needs to have:

- Combing the desert followed by a comment referring to the distinct lack of shit being found
- Time travel by way of a tape like device that is inserted into a viewing screen
- A signal being jammed
- A ship full of asshole crewmates and soldiers
- A giant vacuuming device that depletes a planet's oxygen supply.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I can bitch and moan about how Star Wars is being milked all day but when it comes down to it, I'll be that asshole in a three hour long line to buy a ticket four days in advance to see episode VII. Even with all the parodies and memes and constant barrage of Star Wars I see every day, I still love the movies. I mean, they're all re-watchable and yes, even the prequels. I can even tolerate The Phantom Pain to some extent if not just for the visuals and Darth Maul. Star Wars isn't going anywhere for a long time no matter how much they can squeeze it's udder for milk.

6HvEzH6.jpg

Not a great Simpsons episode, but 'The Gathering Shadow' is a great name.

btrboyev

I can bitch and moan about how Star Wars is being milked all day but when it comes down to it, I'll be that asshole in a three hour long line to buy a ticket four days in advance to see episode VII. Even with all the parodies and memes and constant barrage of Star Wars I see every day, I still love the movies. I mean, they're all re-watchable and yes, even the prequels. I can even tolerate The Phantom Pain to some extent if not just for the visuals and Darth Maul. Star Wars isn't going anywhere for a long time no matter how much they can squeeze it's udder for milk.

Darth Maul is in Metal Gear?

Star Wars Episode VII: Wherein the Errant Coward George Lucas Confronts The Tyrannical Fanbase And Gives Them More Gungans Than You Can Shake A Gaffi Stick At

Saoirse Ronan has apparently gone in to read for the lead role.

I can reconfirm that Saoirse Ronan has had a meeting and read for one of the lead roles – to the best of my knowledge, the lead role – in Star Wars Episode VII.

This was first reported by Latino Review but, for what it’s worth, I’ve also had a rather telling, silent nod from one of my own sources near the casting of this project.

She’s likely to be some way from being cast, as yet, and there are many other actresses who could very easily take the part, including more names that you’d know just as well, but Ronan’s very talented, has a real fanbase and seems to fit the bill perfectly.

And as has often happened before, she may not be the filmmakers’ pick for this role but could well be matched with the other, high-profile part for a young woman in this film.

I wouldn't trust Latino Review as a source, but to hear that the Bleeding Cool guys have heard the same thing made me think it worth posting. She would be a fantastic pick. Of course, it could just as well be more bullshit.

Robbler

Banned
I wouldn't trust Latino Review as a source, but to hear that the Bleeding Cool guys have heard the same thing made me think it worth posting. She would be a fantastic pick. Of course, it could just as well be more bullshit.

Usually when a site like Bleeding Cool, Devin, or Hitfix says "we've heard the same thing" when a site like Latino Review posts a rumor it's just their way of backing up their buddy so he continues to get pageviews from his rumor.

Usually when a site like Bleeding Cool, Devin, or Hitfix says "we've heard the same thing" when a site like Latino Review posts a rumor it's just their way of backing up their buddy so he continues to get pageviews from his rumor.

I know Collider, Slashfilm and Firstshowing pull that shit. I haven't seen anybody back up LatinoReview for a long while. HitFlix are usually pretty reliable these days.

Robbler

Banned
BleedingCool and reliable do not belong in the same sentence. Rich Johnston is a piece of shit and will do anything ro drum up page views.

Same thing with Latino Review.

The New Mexico part of that story is true. The casting stuff? Cumberbatch is not in Episode VII. He's filming a different movie at the same time.

Liamario

Banned
A lot of people bitch about JJ Abrams for some reason that I really can't comprehend; but I can tell you this much- you'd struggle to get a decent cast with another director in charge. Everyone wants to work with him and this can only be a positive thing when making the best movie you can make.

A lot of people bitch about JJ Abrams for some reason that I really can't comprehend; but I can tell you this much- you'd struggle to get a decent cast with another director in charge. Everyone wants to work with him and this can only be a positive thing when making the best movie you can make.

I think he's a good director, he just needs to surround himself with good writers instead of his crew of idiots.

jtb

Banned

Abrams is hardly the only director in Hollywood who can bring together a quality cast, I'm struggling to even think of a single film of his that even had a particularly impressive cast in the first place.

Impressive in terms of raw star power, or impressive in how they interact with each other?

I personally think the ensemble work in MI:III, Star Trek & Into Darkness was pretty well done, myself. Super 8 was a misstep, but even then, Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney worked really well together.

I believe he had a hand in putting together the casts for Cloverfield, LOST, and Fringe, too, and those casts - again, not huge star power - fit together really well.

jtb

Banned
Impressive in terms of raw star power, or impressive in how they interact with each other?

I personally think the ensemble work in MI:III, Star Trek & Into Darkness was pretty well done, myself. Super 8 was a misstep, but even then, Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney worked really well together.

I believe he had a hand in putting together the casts for Cloverfield, LOST, and Fringe, too, and those casts - again, not huge star power - fit together really well.

I meant in star power, because I read the post as suggesting that actors are chomping at the bit to work with Abrams. His casts have always been solid, but do I think that he has some innate casting ability or draw that other directors lack? No.

I meant in star power, because I read the post as suggesting that actors are chomping at the bit to work with Abrams. His casts have always been solid, but do I think that he has some innate casting ability or draw that other directors lack? No.

Gotcha.

Yeah, I don't know if people are like "Oh shit! ABRAMS! I gotta work with that guy" but he doesn't seem to piss his actors off. If anything, I'd imagine "STAR WARS" is the draw here more than Abrams would be.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Saoirse Ronan has apparently gone in to read for the lead role.

This might explain the rumours that she actually knocked back the offer of Scarlet Witch, although I don't think they're true. Being in something as sure-fire as Star Wars would do well to wash out the sour taste The Host bombing undoubtedly left in some producers' mouths.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'm wondering more about the main setting than a title right now.

Will this necessarily be about rebuilding the Republic?
Instead, maybe after the fall of the Empire the galaxy was divided into a number of factions, all competing for control. Would be much more interesting and offer plenty of room for original plot developments as well an abundance of new settings and characters, because there'd be more than two sides.

Um...really? The Star Wars movies would struggle to get actors? Would Avengers 2 struggle as well if they changed from Whedon to someone else?

Liamario

Banned
Um...really? The Star Wars movies would struggle to get actors? Would Avengers 2 struggle as well if they changed from Whedon to someone else?

It would definitely struggle to get as good actors based upon the prequels and if Lucas was directing again.

Just to be entirely clear, the prequels were awful and A list actor would definitely be a lot more hesitant to sign up without a director of the caliber of JJ Abrams.

I just hope the story is simple. One of the best things about the original trilogy is how simple the premise is compared to all the trade federation bullshit of the prequel trilogy.

jtb

Banned
It would definitely struggle to get as good actors based upon the prequels and if Lucas was directing again.

Just to be entirely clear, the prequels were awful and A list actor would definitely be a lot more hesitant to sign up without a director of the caliber of JJ Abrams.

The prequels were terrible and A list actors were still happy to work with Lucas. It's not that he cast them particularly poorly (the two Anakins were pretty terrible, granted), it's that he did a terrible job writing and directing them. I'd consider the lead of Schindler's List an A-list actor.

It's Star Wars. The caliber of JJ Abrams? What caliber. He's never worked with A list actors outside of, what, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and he's never been one that makes top dramas anyways.

Top Bottom