• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Straya mate!

Edit: I watched it finally and it was awesome!

Jan_22__2016_14_07.gif

Loving how this location is shaping up. Can't wait to see it on film.

Rootbeer

Banned
This looks very disco to me.

A shame Lando doesn't seem to be included in VIII.

It was just announced that he is going to be in the Dirty Dancing tv movie remake.

Dude is clearly still out there and doing work. He did some Rebels episodes recently, as another example.

They need to get him in a scene or two, he would jump at it in a heartbeat.

Going baaaaack to this post, since I forgot to reply at the time.

Definitely agreed. I loved Kamino. Out of the entire prequel trilogy it was the sequence that always drew me in the most. Everything about it was creepy and strange, in a good way. By far it had the strongest "identity" of any portion of the PT, and almost seems like a glimpse into something that could have been. If the rest of the trilogy were able to play on the unsettling mystery of the Kamino portion, it could have been much better. In the end though it all amounted to nothing.

The Jango fight could have been a tad less Benny Hill though.

Thanks man. Ewan played this so well. It was indeed creepy and strange. The dialogue and the way Ewan played these scenes as understanding what was going on there, but not understanding why; and the way he made that very obvious to Jango was pretty sweet stuff.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Love the look, Poe and Finn are going on the greatest boys night out in a thousand generations

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The Kamino stuff was definitely my favorite part of Attack of the Clones. I think George could have had the entire second movie revolve around Obi-Wan and Anakin both investigating the Kamino sub-plot. The Anakin and Padme in love storyline could have been tackled in a few bits here and there, but the ending of the movie would have been wide open as to what the status of their relationship was, then, when we see them in Revenge of the Sith three years later, and find out that they're secretly married and she's pregnant, we'd be like, "What?!" I would have ended the movie with the "Begun, the Clone War has," line from Yoda, followed by the Clone Troopers preparing for battle, wipe to credits (no wedding scene to cap the movie).

The reason Anakin should have accompanied Obi-Wan to Kamino was so that we could get more of their back and forth, and ideally establishing their relationship as more than just an exasperated teacher and his cocky, temperamental apprentice. It could have been very Batman and Robin like, as well as tackle the "Dark second movie" from a different angle. I would have had Obi-Wan and Anakin's investigation leading them through the Star Wars underworld, ultimately landing them on Kamino with the Clone trooper storyline bringing it all together and back to Geonosis and the start of the Clone Wars. My biggest issue with Episode 2 was that Obi-Wan and Anakin were separated for too much of the movie.

I let The Phantom Menace slide, because I figured Episode 2 would build on Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship of the ages. When that didn't happen, I was very, very concerned about Episode 3 and how it would make the destruction of their friendship impactful. Surprise, surprise, it didn't!

Daisy had an interview with ET a week ago and had this to say:
"It's still very lovely and warm and friendly, just like seven was," on the set, she said. "I think Rian actually wants to be a bit cheekier with the little tidbits of information that come out."

She agreed that The Force Awakens footage was really a tease, as well, but they're being a bit more open here.

"You can see, even with the way Mark and Carrie posted pictures with their chairs, it's a little bit freer," Ridley said.

Angel_DvA

I wish something like :

Star Wars, episode VIII

It's war ! Besides the destruction of Starkiller, the armed forces of the First Order have arisen from unknown areas and take advantage of the chaos of the lost of the Hosnian system to invade the Republicans worlds.

Deprived of the Senate and a large part of its military forces, the few surviving Republican leaders are in exile and have to reconnect with the Resistance leads by Leia Organa before it's too late.

Meanwhile, Kylo Ren and the other Knights of Ren are tracking Luke Skywalker before this one could finish Rey's training, regarded as the greatest danger threatening the First Order, or the supreme Leader Snoke himself...

I wish something like :

Star Wars, episode VIII

It's war ! Besides the destruction of Starkiller, the armed forces of the First Order have arisen from unknown areas and take advantage of the chaos of the lost of the Hosnian system to invade the Republicans worlds.

Deprived of the Senate and a large part of its military forces, the few surviving Republican leaders are in exile and have to reconnect with the Resistance leads by Leia Organa before it's too late.

Meanwhile, Kylo Ren and the other Knights of Ren are tracking Luke Skywalker before this one could finish Rey's training, regarded as the greatest danger threatening the First Order, or the supreme Leader Snoke himself...

Not too bad, actually.

GhaleonEB

This is gonna be real hard for me. I actually found the whole low key part of TFA to be beneficial.

I'm hoping she means with the tidbits that are coming out from the sets - Rian and others tweeting tidbits - rather than the marketing. I really hope they keep the story just as under wraps this time around.

They already explained Sifo-Dyas in Season Six of the Clone wars.

Still haven't watched Clone Wars (eventually... eventually haha), but is seasons six basically the "We explain everything from the prequels that was never properly explained" season? I feel like from a couple of the things I've heard it's pretty much that haha.

Had a dream about seeing it last night but to be fair I drank heavily last night.

All I remember was that it was called Star Wars Episode VIII - The First Order Moves In and was about the FO not moving into an apartment or with a roomie but trying to take over the galaxy with military muscle after Starkiller was destroyed and it ended with Luke and Rey defending the temple from the end of 7 from Kylo and the Knights.

It also sucked. Good thing it was a dream whew

GPsych

Had a dream about seeing it last night but to be fair I drank heavily last night.

All I remember was that it was called Star Wars Episode VIII - The First Order Moves In and was about the FO not moving into an apartment or with a roomie but trying to take over the galaxy with military muscle after Starkiller was destroyed and it ended with Luke and Rey defending the temple from the end of 7 from Kylo and the Knights.

It also sucked. Good thing it was a dream whew

I actually really like The First Order Moves In (Without paying a security deposit).

Agreed and the Jango Fett battle were good.

Yeah, after watching it again recently, it's really not that bad. It's divided into three acts:

Act 1: Obi Wan and Anakin hunt down the assassin - GOOD
Act 2: Obi Wan and Anakin split up - Obi Wan's part - GOOD, Anakin's part - BAD
Act 3: They reunite on Geonosis/all hell breaks loose - GOOD, mostly

Basically, 5/6 of the movie is good. It's just that Anakin's half of act 2 is SO bad.

And act 3 is kind of a mixed bag for me. Seeing all the Jedi lightsabers pop at once to fight the droids IS pretty spectacular. So is the Republic Army mobilizing for the first time. The 4-way duel between Dooku, Obi, Annie and Yoda is pretty iconic at this point, but it has its problems, too, of course. The conveyor belt fight has aged kind of poorly. And of course C3PO's merry slapstick bullshit all through Geonosis is unfortunate. Also, there are a couple of weird plot points that make no sense (like Dooku spilling the "sith running the senate" beans to Kenobi for no damned reason, shortly after meeting him, which should have shortened the whole war).

I guess I'll say act 3 is half good. So overall, the movie is about 2/3 good. I dunno. I like it better than Sith.

Adam Blue

(like Dooku spilling the "sith running the senate" beans to Kenobi for no damned reason, shortly after meeting him, which should have shortened the whole war).

Dooku didn't like how the council became less about the force and more about the people and was hoping to get Kenobi to join him and take down the Sith. Dooku was like an old-school Jedi, similar to Qui-Gon, but clouded by the dark side. He didn't trust Sidious.

It is because of the council that the Jedi didn't sense the Sith. Dooku would have been the savior if Qui-Gon was in Obi-Wan's place.

Chaplain

I thought many people in this thread would enjoy the following 70 minute interview with Mark Hamill from last month at Oxford University.

Mark Hamill | Full Q&A | Oxford Union

Mark Hamill is best known for his portrayal of Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars trilogy, a role he reprised in 2015 in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As part of the biggest film franchise of all time, he has developed a cult following over the years. In addition to his acting career, he is an award-winning voice actor and comic book writer, having voiced The Joker in various Batman video games and having written The Black Pearl miniseries in 1996.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Love it, could hear him tell stories all day

Mr Cola

What does it pertain to?

Well the first question was "When you went into the table read did you notice that Daisy Ridley and you look a bit alike" and i skipped forward 5 mins

-griffy-

Banned
What does it pertain to?

There's no spoiler. The moderator asks a silly question about Daisy Ridley looking like Mark Hamill, essentially "hey, she could be your daughter!" Hamill gives a long winded answer going on multiple tangents into OT anecdotes and how the movie itself deliberately keeps her past a mystery and how the seating arrangement at the table read was so studied and ends with Hamill saying Daisy is great and is his own daughter's age, so he relates to her as a person that way. Which then immediately gets misread by the audience so he has some fun with it.

Surfinn

There's no spoiler. The moderator asks a silly question about Daisy Ridley looking like Mark Hamill, essentially "hey, she could be your daughter!" Hamill gives a long winded answer going on multiple tangents into OT anecdotes and how the movie itself deliberately keeps her past a mystery and how the seating arrangement at the table read was so studied and ends with Hamill saying Daisy is great and is his own daughter's age, so he relates to her as a person that way. Which then immediately gets misread by the audience so he has some fun with it.

Oh, THAT'S where that quote came from. Thanks for clearing this up.

Top Bottom