• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

GhaleonEB

Was this posted? shooting in Dubrovnik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ryOPXNNCvg

So, this is an example of what not to post in this thread. Not because it's a spoiler, as I haven't clicked on it, but because I have no idea whether it's a spoiler or not. Please describe the links you are posting, or at least characterize them.

Someone posted an actual spoiler earlier and I deleted it, because that belongs in the spoiler thread.

I liked Looper a lot. The latter half of the story was really unexpected but I thought most of it worked really well. It also had the best performance I've seen from Bruce Willis for a while.

So, this is an example of what not to post in this thread. Not because it's a spoiler, as I haven't clicked on it, but because I have no idea whether it's a spoiler or not. Please describe the links you are posting, or at least characterize them.

It's another angle of the video I linked to. It's a stunt guy being sent flying in Dubrovnik.

Something about that run has me cracking up.

Looks like he's had a few too many cups of Jawa juice.

jelly

I would like to see Joseph Kosinski get a Star Wars gig one day, he directed Tron Legacy and Oblivion. Great visual direction and the acting is fine too. Stories aren't the best but he would get help with that.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I would like to see Joseph Kosinski get a Star Wars gig one day, he directed Tron Legacy and Oblivion. Great visual direction and the acting is fine too. Stories aren't the best but he would get help with that.

If the TFA concept art was anything to go by, Kosinski could have been oddly appropriate if they went with their very early ideas.

Like this early version of Jakku
the-force-awakens-concept-art-reveals-a-very-different-star-wars-story-are-these-walke-833243.jpg

chaislip3

Some pretty great set pics just got posted on MSW. I'll post them in the Spoiler Thread, but this is just a head's up in case anyone wanted to know.

If the TFA concept art was anything to go by, Kosinski could have been oddly appropriate if they went with their very early ideas.

Like this early version of Jakku
the-force-awakens-concept-art-reveals-a-very-different-star-wars-story-are-these-walke-833243.jpg

I really need to pick up that art book, whoa.

I hope they bring the idea of the old & decomposed standing AT-AT's back.

MMarston

I really need to pick up that art book, whoa.

I hope they bring the idea of the old & decomposed standing AT-AT's back.

I totally recommend getting the book. There's a lot of surreal stuff in there that almost makes you think they were working on a Disney animated film instead

In addition to that, Ep VIII's Dubrovnik set bears close resemblance to one of the locales featured in the book, so they're clearly drawing some inspiration from the very early stages of production somewhat.

I saw Looper a few years back after a lot of people hyped it up and thought it was only ok.

Usually I don't buy into the hype with films, but perhaps I went in expecting something different. I should see it again, I may appreciate it more this time around.

I had the same experince. People hyped it up and it was alright I guess, nothing in any way special or memorable. Well except for the hilariously awful makeup job they did on Joseph Gordon-Levitt to make him look like Bruce Willis.

I totally recommend getting the book. There's a lot of surreal stuff in there that almost makes you think they were working on a Disney animated film instead

In addition to that, Ep VIII's Dubrovnik set bears close resemblance to one of the locales featured in the book, so they're clearly drawing some inspiration from the very early stages of production somewhat.
This makes me realise, I would really love a good look at the production of TFA. I have the blu on order and can't wait for the bonuses, but ... What are the best resources available now, for a really comprehensive tour through the whole production? I'm fascinated to wonder what they all went through; story, casting, design, filming, effects etc etc ...

I went blackout after the first teaser, which I'm very glad I did, but there's a gap now where all that stuff should be. The time is right to fill it in.

This makes me realise, I would really love a good look at the production of TFA. I have the blu on order and can't wait for the bonuses, but ... What are the best resources available now, for a really comprehensive tour through the whole production? I'm fascinated to wonder what they all went through; story, casting, design, filming, effects etc etc ...

I went blackout after the first teaser, which I'm very glad I did, but there's a gap now where all that stuff should be. The time is right to fill it in.

The Making Of book's not out until October so your best and only real bet is the art book. It's well worth the buy. There's a few interesting VFX reels on YouTube to get an idea of how they went about that process. I enjoyed Variety's video for example.

Yeah, really glad they're thinking of using some of those ideas. They were some of my favourites in the book.

-griffy-

Banned
A gentleman & a scholar, thank you.

Unfortunately most of the stuff out there is still kind of the pre-release, no spoilers variety, so the Blu-ray is our first real in depth look at behind the scenes.

American Cinematographer's last issue was all TFA though, and a couple of the articles are online. It's pretty technical at times and kind of light because no spoilers, but there's some decent stuff there as far as shooting and effects is concerned.

MMarston

Eh, she went with her lightsaber against Stardestroyer? Wtf?

That's a little too much. Would make more sense if she went after some walkers.
Yeah like I said it's too out there even if it makes for a good popcorn moment. Though it could work if it's more of a distraction thing than actually damaging them. Considering the art shows her on an X Wing too, maybe it's something Poe could pull off instead lol

CD'S BAR

Good god these are incredible. Something about still images always trumps moving ones. Was on the fence about this book but I really have to get it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If they are shooting in another location in Ireland it probably means another 10 articles per day here about how they are harming something or other.

I'd let them burn the entire Irish countryside to the ground even if it only made the film 0.1% better.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
qvr5greicqh6mjnwzqp5.jpg

I must see this place

I want nothing more than a bit of Blade Runner aesthetics in Star Wars, take me there Rian

Most hilariously bizarre piece in the art book is Poe (who was a Jedi at one point) destroys the Star Killer by flying through the barrel of the thing, in his X-Wing and standing in the cockpit, using his lightsaber to slice up the inside of the thing.

So stupid but yet would have been so amazing.

Although it was shown later in the book than the Star Destroyer thing, it was more than likely scrapped earlier from the vibe I got while going through it.

MMarston

Most hilariously bizarre piece in the art book is Poe (who was a Jedi at one point) destroys the Star Killer by flying through the barrel of the thing, in his X-Wing and standing in the cockpit, using his lightsaber to slice up the inside of the thing.

So stupid but yet would have been so amazing.

Although it was shown later in the book than the Star Destroyer thing, it was more than likely scrapped earlier from the vibe I got while going through it.

No that was also Rey - who was Kira at the time. The image of her against the 2 SDs that I poster earlier followed that up immediately in the book.

For those who haven't ventured into the other thread, how about those practical/animatronic creatures spotted on set of Episode 8! (it doesn't seem spoilery, but potential spoilers)

I fully meant to before, but was away on a prolonged work trip when it came out and I just forgot to do it somehow. Ordered now.. I cannot wait to dig through it, and digest everything.

I just sent back the artbook I got for my birthday because the dust jacket had a tear and was a bit beat up. :( Probably won't get the replacement until Friday or Saturday. :\ I did flip through it though, pretty legit. Will be interesting to see if they repurpose anything for VIII (or IX) and if so, how much. Lots of crazy stuff in there.

Every few weeks I remember that Johnson is directing this and I get excited all over again. It's insane.

And then you remember Trevorrow is doing IX and your whole world crashes down.

Anth0ny

I have the book and the art is so damn great. that's the kind of stuff I wish they used as blu ray covers.

Also, I thought Looper was great. high hopes for episode viii.

Top Bottom