• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Heh. From Empire:

At the Jameson Empire Awards, we asked John Boyega and Daisy Ridley to reveal one line each from the script of Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Boyega: “Ooga mooka vishi”. (He wasn't sure of the spelling.)

Ridley: “*Stares*… like, in asterisks”.

VO8mJqW.jpg

How are Daisy Ridley's teeth and now eyebrows so perfect? It's bizarre.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Just taking a quick peek in this thread made me realise that this may be the first time I've felt joy about Star Wars. The previous movies happened and they were good or bad but Episode VII was actually fun. Episode VIII looks like it's off to a great start. I think I'm finally won over by Star Wars.

Making Star Wars have got some info on Laura Dern's role in VIII. I've posted it in the spoilers thread for those of you who are interested. Some interesting stuff regarding Leia as well.

As for non-spoilery stuff, apparently Poe's costume is a bit of a mix of his casual Resistance clothes in TFA and Han's costume. Seeing I liked both costumes it should be cool.

Driver's had a bit to say about Episode VIII's script.

Set for release on Dec. 15, 2017, the next Star Wars film will see its main cast return, albeit with a new director steering the ship: Rian Johnson, who stepped in for J.J. Abrams after The Force Awakens.

“Their temperaments are different,” Driver said when asked to compare the two filmmakers. “I feel like there was so many moving pieces in the first one – just trying to solve it and set the vocabulary for what it was. There’s a lot of that anxiety is gone, because people have developed a language. I think it’s more of a testament to Rian coming into something very established and making it [his own]. I can’t wait to get on set, just because he’s so unassuming and intelligent and approachable. The script they’ve come up with is really great.”

-griffy-

Banned
Boyega posted this to his Instagram, some hints as to how Finn evolves:
7krthvcl.png

Can you recut it without the prequel stuff pls griffy.

Haha, you know what? I might have a crack at it once I get my Blu-ray of TFA. I think the idea behind the video is cooler than the execution, because the prequel stuff winds up being kind of contradictory especially when paired with Obi Wan's voiceover from ANH. It's still cool to see the journey of the saber.

GhaleonEB

7krthvcl.png

Damn, everything they're saying is basically exactly what I want to hear.

With TFA coming out on video next week, I keep thinking over how much I've fallen in love with these characters. I'm not looking forward to the action, or designs, or music, though I'm sure they'll be great. I want to know what happens to Rey, Ren, Finn and Poe. I want to see them together again and just bouncing off each other. I just want to spend more time with these great characters.

That is, ultimately, TFA's great legacy, bringing a new set of characters together, as much as anything else it pulled off.

Surfinn

That's good to hear, though I'm surprised he hasn't been on set yet, given how long they've been filming. He must not be at any of the locations they've shot in yet.

While well put together it just reminded me how infuriatingly awful the prequels were, and how they borked both the story and the visuals.

That's what I was thinking too. Surprised he's not on set.

7krthvcl.png

Wow, that's truly some exciting stuff. Gave me goosebumps. Very interested in this direction.

Damn, everything they're saying is basically exactly what I want to hear.

With TFA coming out on video next week, I keep thinking over how much I've fallen in love with these characters. I'm not looking forward to the action, or designs, or music, though I'm sure they'll be great. I want to know what happens to Rey, Ren, Finn and Poe. I want to see them together again and just bouncing off each other. I just want to spend more time with these great characters.

That is, ultimately, TFA's great legacy, bringing a new set of characters together, as much as anything else it pulled off.

Yup, good post. That's what a lot of people forget -- the main goal of TFA was to introduce us to characters we would love and care about for three movies (maybe more?). That's no easy task and they really pulled it off. I can't wait to find out what happens to these characters and how they overcome their challenges. Isn't that was SW is all about? ;)

Surfinn

I imagine he spends a good chunk of the film licking his wounds and completing his training with Snoke, so he wouldn't be filming with the other cast at these first locations.

I don't think all of the sets so far have been in the beginning of the film though? I thought one was actually towards the end.

-griffy-

Banned
I don't think all of the sets so far have been in the beginning of the film though? I thought one was actually towards the end.

I'm not sure on that, but in any case I gotta assume he's gonna be isolated from the "hero" characters except for specific sequences.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
That kinda sounds like Finn makes it to 9, which was a fair guess but I thought it would be interesting if they killed him off in 8.

7krthvcl.png

I really liked Finn's arc in TFA but it's good to hear.

I still blame the marketing in some respect for people's reaction to Finn. With Finn wielding Luke's lightsaber in the final trailer and in the posters, some people were always going to jump to the the conclusion he was 'the Jedi' and be disappointed with him.

I'm glad JJ and Kasdan decided to keep the idea of a stormtrooper leaving his post.

That kinda sounds like Finn makes it to 9, which was a fair guess but I thought it would be interesting if they killed him off in 8.

I've always thought Poe was more likely to die earlier but I think all three of them will make it to IX now with the reaction they've had.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Films aren't always shot in chronological order. A lot of the time, bits from various parts of the script are shot in any given order. Sometimes a final scene can be shot first!

One of the things that I love about The Force Awakens, and that I was the most worried about going into the movie was Finn, Rey, Poe, and Kylo. Many of us have grown up with Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie, and the prospect of following a new group of heroes/villains is understandably worrisome.

This whole revival of Star Wars could have absolutely blown up in Lucasfilm's faces had they failed at establishing the new leads as intriguing, compelling, likable and relatable characters. Can you imagine if Rey or Finn were insufferably bad? It would have been disastrous.

While I was eager to see Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewie again, I was more interested in seeing how these new recruits were going to hold up. I was incredibly relieved to have fallen in love with all of them just like I did the original crew. The biggest get from TFA for me was Adam Driver as Kylo Ren. A complex Star Wars villain that defied expectations of just being a "Vader 2.0." As much as I adore Rey, Finn, and Poe, what Abrams and Kasdan did with Kylo Ren was brilliant, and subverted expectations, and set up a very intriguing villain arc for the next two movies.

Everyone talks about how much of a retread of A New Hope this movie was, but nobody seems to comment on how disastrous it would have been if they hadn't nailed the new cast. I am so excited to see what happens to them all in the next movie. I'm emotionally invested in their fates, and I want the best outcome for all of them. For me, that's the best result I could have hoped for coming out of TFA and into Episode VIII.

GhaleonEB

Films aren't always shot in chronological order. A lot of the time, bits from various parts of the script are shot in any given order. Sometimes a final scene can be shot first!.

A good point, and this is especially true with films that mix location shooting and stages. IIRC nearly all of Poe and Ren's scenes were filmed at Pinewood, they didn't do the location hopping that Rey did. So they might just be waiting for whatever location shooting to get done and for the production to move to the New Order / Snoke sets.

-griffy-

Banned
Films aren't always shot in chronological order. A lot of the time, bits from various parts of the script are shot in any given order. Sometimes a final scene can be shot first!

Oh yeah I'm well aware of this. Almost no film or TV show is ever shot in chronological order, and I wasn't suggesting that was the case here. We just happen to know that Kylo Ren is presumably going somewhere that will isolate him from the hero characters for much of the film, so it makes sense if they are shooting scenes that don't include him and the actor wouldn't be needed on set right away. Much of the Kylo shooting would be a different block then whatever it is they're filming now, most likely.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
A good point, and this is especially true with films that mix location shooting and stages. IIRC nearly all of Poe and Ren's scenes were filmed at Pinewood, they didn't do the location hopping that Rey did. So they might just be waiting for whatever location shooting to get done and for the production to move to the New Order / Snoke sets.

Yeah, exactly. When I was younger, I was under the impression that movies were all shot in chronological order. Lol.

I find it fascinating how filming will jump all over the script. And it's also kind of funny when you're watching a movie, and you pick up on inconsistencies like hair style changes. For example, Finn's haircut changes across the entire movie. The length of it gets longer and shorter and longer again throughout.

The same thing happened in this last X-Files season. In the first episode, Mulder has the hobo five o'clock shadow and long hair in one scene, then, in another scene after, he has short hair and is clean shaven, implying that he cleaned himself up, but THEN, in another scene that chronologically takes place after that clean shaven scene, he has the 5'o'clock shadow and hobo look again.

It amuses me greatly when I'm watching movies and tv can catch that kind of stuff.

-griffy-

Banned
Yeah, exactly. When I was younger, I was under the impression that movies were all shot in chronological order. Lol.

I find it fascinating how filming will jump all over the script. And it's also kind of funny when you're watching a movie, and you pick up on inconsistencies like hair style changes. For example, Finn's haircut changes across the entire movie. The length of it gets longer and shorter and longer again throughout.

The same thing happened in this last X-Files season. In the first episode, Mulder has the hobo five o'clock shadow and long hair in one scene, then, in another scene after, he has short hair and is clean shaven, implying that he cleaned himself up, but THEN, in another scene that chronologically takes place after that clean shaven scene, he has the 5'o'clock shadow and hobo look again.

It amuses me greatly when I'm watching movies and tv can catch that kind of stuff.
A fun exercise is watching Return of the King and trying to figure out what they shot as part of the initial principal photography of the entire trilogy in 1999/2000, and what they shot in pick-ups in 2003. There's one scene in the Minas Tirith throne room where you can see Gandalf's beard get inexplicably fluffier between shots.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
A fun exercise is watching Return of the King and trying to figure out what they shot as part of the initial principal photography of the entire trilogy in 1999/2000, and what they shot in pick-ups in 2003. There's one scene in the Minas Tirith throne room where you can see Gandalf's beard get inexplicably fluffier between shots.

Lol! Yes, exactly! It's always fun to look for those sorts of things. Mainly after you've seen the movie a dozen times. I generally don't bother looking for those kinds of inconsistencies in a first few watches. I'm just trying to soak in the movie, but it's fun to do for movies that you've revisited a bunch of times.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy in general is a lot of fun to look back at and note stuff. I think there's another one in The Two Towers with Gandalf, but I can't think of it at the moment.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I think the worst film continuity conflict is when in every Batman film, Bruce immediately loses the raccoon eyes as soon as he takes off the mask

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think the worst film continuity conflict is when in every Batman film, Bruce immediately loses the raccoon eyes as soon as he takes off the mask

Worst? I think you mean, "best." That always cracks me up. I just don't know why they can't work the white eyes into the story (they did good in Dark Knight, as well as the armor suit in BvS), but it's like, raccoon eyes are realistic, the white eyes look cool and scary, and you won't have to worry about that hilarious conflict when he takes off the mask and the raccoon eyes are gone. I don't think we lose so much in the emoting in Batman's face if you can't see his eyes. He pretty much has two states of being when he's Batman: Angry, and Angrier.

Characters like Spider-Man often show a range of emotions when in costume, so I understand losing something with the eye pieces, but Batman is a composed motherfucker. Even when he's probably shitting bricks, he's not going to let anyone know that. The disturbing, uncomfortable white eyes would add to his mystique as a dark creature with rumored supernatural powers.

The spoilers begin. Is there anyway to maintain utter secrecy these days on a film in the age of Making Star Wars?

There's much more substantial stuff than that image about. But no, utter secrecy is pretty much impossible. I expect more of Rogue One will leak over the next couple of months. Most of the Rogue One leaks have been surrounding the characters rather than the plot.

Loxley

An even funnier example of things being shot out of order from The Return of the King was the scene where Frodo tells Sam to "go home" on the stairs of Cirith Ungol. The shots of Elijah Wood were filmed in 2000, and the shots of Sean Astin were filmed in 2003. They were originally planning to shoot both actors' dialogue on the same day in 2000. From what I can remember, before they could begin filming Astin's side of the conversation, a massive storm hit Wellington and the tin warehouse they were filming in became incredibly noisy - rendering all of the audio unusable. So Jackson decided to hold off on finishing the scene for a later date. After a while, they'd genuinely forgotten to film Astin's stuff, so three years later while doing pick-ups for The Return of the King, they finally remembered to finish the sequence.

So in that scene you have Frodo and Sam speaking to each other three years apart. I've always gotten a kick out of that.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
watched TFA last night and I honestly feel like Poe and Finn stole the film, id love for Poe to have a larger role in the next film.

Mr Cola

Also that long shot where Finn picks up the rifle and Poe kills like 10 people before ending in "Thats one hell of a pilot" is the best scene in the film.

Pachimari

I also want Poe to have a larger role in Episode VIII; I really loved the dude. And I didn't know plot points were already leaking out of this film, welp.

Aww, it's cute that he needs to address the people who felt that the character somehow made a mockery of them. What a nice guy.

Well that's condescending as hell.

No need to deny that the marketing for VII gave plenty of viewers, namely black ones, a false idea of his plot importance. And the idea that he would be a jedi.

I've heard a bunch of people swear off VIII until they hear reviews about Finn being better in it. That's how burned some folks feel.

And I say this as someone who's favorite character in the franchise right now IS Finn.

Mr Cola

Well that's condescending as hell.

No need to deny that the marketing for VII gave plenty of viewers, namely black ones, a false idea of his plot importance. And the idea that he would be a jedi.

I've heard a bunch of people swear off VIII until they hear reviews about Finn being better in it. That's how burned some folks feel.

And I say this as someone who's favorite character in the franchise right now IS Finn.

Finn was the best character, in terms of story to acting to range, the overall arc.

Its a bait and switch what they did in the trailers but thats common, also needed to give some element of surprise.

I find it kinda upsetting people could be let down by how he was handled, the only thing I didnt like about him was "Do you have a boyfriend, cute boyfriend" line, it felt out of character.

Top Bottom