• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Surfinn

Don't base your power levels on how well they could get some dude in a robot costume to swing a plastic stick in the 1980's.

I don't mind doing that at all with how well it turned out. I'd rather watch the "some dude in a robot costume" than any of the one-upsmanship choreography seen in the prequels.

I don't mind doing that at all with how well it turned out. I'd rather watch the "some dude in a robot costume" than any of the one-upsmanship choreography seen in the prequels.

Oh don't get me wrong OT fights>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Prequel fights.

I'm just saying that Luke and Vader are two of the most powerful force users in the universe. Watching Eps1-6 and trying to compare who would win in a fight based on the saber fights is the wrong way to judge it.

Prequel light-saber duels are terrible for the most part.

So Ade Edmondson has apparently joined the cast.

Okay dokay skip!
tumblr_m05j1sZ6EU1qjj0j1o1_400.gif

Britgaf will know him. He's a good chap.

Oh, this is awesome.

Gravidee

The PT fights can be too flashy, while the OT fights can be too slow despite the subject matter. I feel like the duel in Force Awakens is the perfect balance of the two. To be honest, I'm hoping that we encounter more lightsaber wielders in VIII and IX just so we can see some more lightsaber fighting styles done in the new way.

Cheebo

Banned

Faynwulf

The fact they said JJ (and the fact the original source is the Sun) makes this highly questionable. JJ has nothing to do with this movie.

This rumor screams fake. Sun plus claiming JJ wanted him when JJ isn't casting this? Lol.

The sun has a terrible track record for this kind of stuff

He is still Executive producer. But I couldn't say how much input he has on casting.

Cheebo

Banned
He is still Executive producer. But I couldn't say how much input he has on casting.
In name only. He said he has no involvement in Episode 8. He is most definitely not involved in the casting of this film. Especially for random minor roles.

No one should trust a word Sun ever says when it comes to casting tumors regardless. They make up stuff constantly.

In name only. He said he has no involvement in Episode 8. He is most definitely not involved in the casting of this film. Especially for random minor roles.

No one should trust a word Sun ever says when it comes to casting tumors regardless. They make up stuff constantly.

JJ is being humble. Rian had some input on Episode 7 before it was done, and JJ has had a chance to review the script of Episode 8 and give feedback, and will get a chance to see the film in post-production and give his feedback there as well. But it sounds like he's really confident in Rian's ability and wants to let Rian do his thing.

Surfinn

Just a small tidbit about the design of Rey, according to a concept artist who worked on her look:

“Early on when we were designing Rey, before the costume team came on board, we were trying to figure out, ‘OK, well how can we tie in the design history of that, and how can we bring a little bit of Luke, perhaps, in there.’”

Probably nothing substantial, but interesting, nonetheless.

Hex

Banned
Just a small tidbit about the design of Rey, according to a concept artist who worked on her look:

“Early on when we were designing Rey, before the costume team came on board, we were trying to figure out, ‘OK, well how can we tie in the design history of that, and how can we bring a little bit of Luke, perhaps, in there.’”

Probably nothing substantial, but interesting, nonetheless.

I am going to go on a limb here and say that they are referring to the parallel of Luke the hero of IV and Rey the hero of VII.
That will not stop people from reading and insisting that it means something else though.

Don't base your power levels on how well they could get some dude in a robot costume to swing a plastic stick in the 1980's. Vader was really fucking powerful, as was Luke.

He's just been getting more in touch with the force over the last 30 years. IF he whips out a saber in the next two movies, rest assured he's going to fuck shit up.

This right here. Yes, Vader was old. He was also clearly conflicted going into the fight. But the Force was very strong with him, and it was also strong with Luke, though it's worth noting that Luke won because he was fighting with anger and hatred. Look at his face when Vader fell and tell me if that was anything but rage.

But.

He's spent a long time away. Presumably getting more in touch with the Force. I'd wager that, even if he's not the Force whiz kid we all think he was, he will be extremely capable now in whatever he does. He's the last Jedi Master.

I cannot wait for the scene where Luke ignites his lightsaber for the first time in years and reminds everyone that he is still a master swordsman.
Luke is not a master swordsman in my eyes. He never gets training with a saber, the extent of his skill is using the force to enhance his reflexes so he can deflect blaster shots. Where he excels is in knowledge and understanding of the force.

Old fight choreography aside, he beat Vader, Luke is supposed to be an amazing swordsman. With modern fight choreography, I'm hoping its amazing.
Vader wasnt trying to kill Luke in either ESB or ROTJ. Both times he's trying to convert him. He even fights one handed showing how easy it is for him to counter. Luke is just flaying the sword around because he has no proper training.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I take it there's been no word on Lando showing up in this yet?

He was at the premier of the film with his son and they asked him, he said you never know and winked, hes also been in Rebels the cartoon recently as Lando and they are kinda bringing him out to fans, he was at celebration too.

I say good chance he will be personally, cameo of course.

Neff

So Ade Edmondson has apparently joined the cast.

WHAT

And I thought nothing could top broad Scottish accents for pulling me out of the Star Wars experience.

I'll be half expecting a CG Rik Mayall to start telling Daisy how smashing her blouse is.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
But who is the good and who is the evil?

How far in the past, flashbcaks confirmed? Film opens 20 years before tfa?

A NEW SOLAR SYSTEM?

LUKE HAS 25 SECONDS OF SCREEN TIME!?!?!?!?!?!

Mark gonna get fired and Episode 8 is as weird as we had heard.

Cheebo

Banned
But who is the good and who is the evil?

How far in the past, flashbcaks confirmed? Film opens 20 years before tfa?

A NEW SOLAR SYSTEM?

LUKE HAS 25 SECONDS OF SCREEN TIME!?!?!?!?!?!

Mark gonna get fired and Episode 8 is as weird as we had heard.
All Star Wars films take place in the past silly.

Mr Cola

What if when Finn wakes up, they ask him his name, and in a very robotic tone he says "My name is FN-2187"

And strangely only in an Alien language

The language of the Q'tar

The makers of the force

Dun

Dun

Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Like a factory reset on a Buzz Lightyear?

Well, he's in a coma and it would be weird if they didn't do something plot related with that. It was possibly to get Rey to go find Luke alone I guess, but I think he'll have a bit of a personality change (more mature?) and possibly some kind of mechanical thing for his spine.

Quick

Banned
Well, he's in a coma and it would be weird if they didn't do something plot related with that. It was possibly to get Rey to go find Luke alone I guess, but I think he'll have a bit of a personality change (more mature?) and possibly some kind of mechanical thing for his spine.

Finn inherits the same mechanical spine that Darth Vader used, and now he has some of Darth Vader's personality invading him.

Liquid Finn Vader.

Top Bottom