• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VIII Production Thread (Principal Photography Complete)

Finn was the best character, in terms of story to acting to range, the overall arc.

Its a bait and switch what they did in the trailers but thats common, also needed to give some element of surprise.

I find it kinda upsetting people could be let down by how he was handled, the only thing I didnt like about him was "Do you have a boyfriend, cute boyfriend" line, it felt out of character.

I agree with you mostly. Especially about Finn's character.

But the bait and switch was a bad idea. If Finn was white, it would have totally worked. Instead it was like the Steve Harvey/Miss Universe situation for many black nerds.

That's the reality of the situation. And him not winning any notable fights added fuel to the fire. If he had won the tr-8r fight instead of Han saving him, the anger would have eased up.

Any big wins at that.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

But the bait and switch was a bad idea. If Finn was white, it would have totally worked. Instead it was like the Steve Harvey/Miss Universe situation for many black nerds.

That's the reality of the situation. And him not winning any notable fights added fuel to the fire. If he had won the tr-8r fight instead of Han saving him, the anger would have eased up.

Any big wins at that.

The way hes been working out plus the comments from Boyega i think hes going to have some serious business in the next film.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The way hes been working out plus the comments from Boyega i think hes going to have some serious business in the next film.

If anything, I'd like to see Finn to beat Kylo Ren somehow without any cheap shenanigans.

We rarely have 'normal' people beating out darkside users 1-on-1.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
If anything, I'd like to see Finn to beat Kylo Ren somehow without any cheap shenanigans.

We rarely have 'normal' people beating out darkside users 1-on-1.

I couldnt help but think while watching the force awakens, specifically the scene where Kylo looks at him in the beginning and where Maz takes an interest that there is something in Finn.

I could honestly see him having force potential.

MMarston

Well, another thought I've been entertaining is Finn & Rey vs Kylo Ren, with Finn using Luke's saber and Rey getting her own in Episode IX.

(yes, this is Episode I poetry)

GhaleonEB

Any big wins at that.
I still don't think they intended to do a bait and switch, but that's how it ended up looking. Marketing wanted to 1) not reveal the end of Rey's arc and abilities, and 2) show lightsabers. So, they only showed Finn with the saber. But as you said, that had the consequence of setting up false expectations for Finn. Hopefully Lucasfilm takes a lesson from it and finds ways to keep things under wraps without setting up the wrong expectations this time around.

Also, totally agree about Finn losing the first saber fight. The shouldn't have had him bailed out.

Mr Cola

Kylos new mask should be interesting, i wonder if they move more towards vader or just make a new one, i would have to think it will evolve somehow.

MMarston

Kylo can't get beaten again in VIII. Hopefully both he and Finn level up a bit in VIII.
I think VIII's gonna be a weird stalemate of sorts.
Rey's gonna get her ass beat, while Kylo is gonna be a grumpy pouter because maybe Snoke/the rest of the Knights intervene to make that happen aka no confidence in the guy finishing the job

Kylos new mask should be interesting, i wonder if they move more towards vader or just make a new one, i would have to think it will evolve somehow.
I'd like the mask to maintain the same look albeit with some variation (e.g. red lines instead of silver). It's got potential to be really iconic.

Mr Cola

I think VIII's gonna be a weird stalemate of sorts.
Rey's gonna get her ass beat, while Kylo is gonna be a grumpy pouter because maybe Snoke/the rest of the Knights intervene to make that happen aka no confidence in the guy finishing the job

I'd like the mask to maintain the same look albeit with some variation (e.g. red lines instead of silver). It's got potential to be really iconic.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was less curves and sharper, more intimidating, his mask was cool in TFA but it wasnt creepy, it looked like it was carefully made, it had a few battle scars but there was nothing really to be feared.

-griffy-

Banned
Do you guys think the nature of his injury at the end of TFA will necessitate a mask now? It was kind of hard to tell exactly how serious a facial injury it was.

Mr Cola

Do you guys think the nature of his injury at the end of TFA will necessitate a mask now? It was kind of hard to tell exactly how serious a facial injury it was.

Its pretty nasty, its a permanent scar and intended to be so im sure, they gave themselves flexibility with his other injuries being under the cloak, and Finns, this one will follow him going forward.

I dont think hell spend that much time in the mask, but its clear "A" mask is symbolically important to him.

Mr Cola

New locations reports coming out, they are really going to interesting places, and alot of them, I sincerely think any comments about EP7s locations being thematically similar (Tatooine, Hoth etc) are going to be nowhere near episode 8.

MMarston

New locations reports coming out, they are really going to interesting places, and alot of them, I sincerely think any comments about EP7s locations being thematically similar (Tatooine, Hoth etc) are going to be nowhere near episode 8.
are they spoiler-ish?

Would like to know where they are.

Mr Cola

are they spoiler-ish?

Would like to know where they are.

I have no idea whats going on in the locations, but the locations themselves might hint at certain things, pictures have been released of a few more in Ireland.

chaislip3

CfNk5r_WIAA9uxX.jpg

Mark looks really good. Can't wait for the scene where Luke gets a haircut.

Sulik2

I cannot wait for the scene where Luke ignites his lightsaber for the first time in years and reminds everyone that he is still a master swordsman.

Not sure what I made of Maz, but I think that was more due to her abrupt disappearance on behalf of the editing suite rather than anything to do with Lupita. Love her. Give me more of her.

Loved the entirety of the new cast to be honest. Boyega, Ridley, Isaac and especially Driver were excellent.

Mr Cola

I think its very deliberate they kept Maz force usage off the deleted scenes, either they want to save it so it means something, or they are going to retcon it as something the character does not use, I think more likely the former.

Im very interested to see what interactions she has with Luke, if they have met before.

Mr Cola

Old fight choreography aside, he beat Vader, Luke is supposed to be an amazing swordsman. With modern fight choreography, I'm hoping its amazing.

You cant have him in self imposed exile, 30 years older and make him a better fighter

Any fight luke has will be story driven and emotional, I wouldnt want anything different either.

Surfinn

Old fight choreography aside, he beat Vader, Luke is supposed to be an amazing swordsman. With modern fight choreography, I'm hoping its amazing.

The choreography was fantastic in Ep5-6. Best in the saga so far. Doesn't need to be flashy to be effective. In most respects, it was mimicked in Ep7 which was bettered as a result.

Mr Cola

Genuinely curious to see what Rey wears in the next film, thought her outfit at the end of 7 was dope as fuck, Jedi garbs maybe :3

Aselith

He beat Vader but Vader was also a wrecked husk of a man and not fast at all. Obviously, he could punk normies due to the Force but no way he takes down an actual Jedi Knight in his OT state.

Luke being able to take an elderly man in an exoskeleton doesn't make him a master swordsman.

He beat Vader but Vader was also a wrecked husk of a man and not fast at all. Obviously, he could punk normies due to the Force but no way he takes down an actual Jedi Knight in his OT state.

Luke being able to take an elderly man in an exoskeleton doesn't make him a master swordsman.

Hell, Vader at his prime (Mustafar duel) couldn't even beat Obi-Wan.

MMarston

Genuinely curious to see what Rey wears in the next film, thought her outfit at the end of 7 was dope as fuck, Jedi garbs maybe :3

I'd actually want her to be rocking an attire that's more rogue-ish casual by IX.

One example is Dr. Aphra from the Vader comics
(Funny thing is, early Rey concept art bore a strange resemblance to her too)

Don't base your power levels on how well they could get some dude in a robot costume to swing a plastic stick in the 1980's. Vader was really fucking powerful, as was Luke.

He's just been getting more in touch with the force over the last 30 years. IF he whips out a saber in the next two movies, rest assured he's going to fuck shit up.

Top Bottom